BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Advice needed!!! My 2023 X7 is dead!

12-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #155
Davidhardy
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7, m5, f150 raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srix7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Well, you are in Texas, so ....

Seriously though, this should not have happened. Do you have any notifications in your iDrive? Also, download and install 'MyBMW' app. Sometimes when something like this happens, you will be able to see a notification in the app. Take a screenshot and show it to your service advisor. I'm assuming they should be able to pull up any events if you take it to the dealer, having a screenshot from the app just keeps them honest. BUT, do take it to the dealer anyway, let them look it over.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL.
The error popped up only for few seconds, just had a glimpse of it on iDrive while I was focusing to safely get to the shoulder. It’s gone, don’t see it in the app or notifications on iDrive. This is the sad part, called the dealer and he says no appointments for next 2 weeks, if it stops next time call road side assistance. Not sure I can trust this car anymore, had a few check engine lights few weeks back, no alerts but they disappear after a restart.

Have been using Lexus, Audi, Mercedes in the past not once have such issues. Scared to drive the family around. Also more reason for my wife to tell “Didn’t I tell you to buy another Audi or Merc” 😀
Do you know when your x7 was built?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #156
srix7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhardy View Post
Do you know when your x7 was built?
Built Aug 2nd, sat in QC for 46 days and then in stop sale for 22 days.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #157
srix7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

I usually take my family for a road trip during Christmas (~3k - 4k miles), all my previous cars had been very reliable never caused me trouble. I don’t know if I can trust this one.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 05:50 AM   #158
Davidhardy
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7, m5, f150 raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srix7 View Post
I usually take my family for a road trip during Christmas (~3k - 4k miles), all my previous cars had been very reliable never caused me trouble. I don't know if I can trust this one.
It appears my "lemon" x7 built in august sometime is repaired now.-it had a host of ghost errors that disappeared as fast as they came up. It sounds to me like they had some bad chips/modules that led to lemon status due to supply restraints: Ie too much time to receive parts. Mine was in diagnostics for a few weeks and then just sat while "waiting for a new part."

My point is, perhaps the constraint has eased, and when you take yours in for diagnosis (assuming it's the same issue), they'll be able to repair but also quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 06:21 AM   #159
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

As I said above this has happened a few times. Check out page 6 of this thread.

Here’s the thing. I would imagine that the vehicle thought it saw something and applied the brakes. Therefore I don’t believe there will be any errors / codes stored because it wasn’t really a fault. OR it went into SOS because it thought the driver passed out or was incapacitated. I had this happen once in my 2020 X5. I had the driver assistance package in the X5. Never used it so I did not order it with the LCI X7.

To the driver it’s a big issue. To the vehicle it was just acting as it would have IF there was a vehicle or pedestrian in the way.

This will be a tough one to diagnose for sure.

Last edited by Ace6180G07; 12-07-2022 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 04:20 PM   #160
HoustonBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 2023

X7 2023 dropping dead in the middle of the road

I bought a brand new X7 2023 few months ago. I drove it for 900 miles with no problems. Suddenly, while driving it, it dropped dead in the middle of the road with no warning whatsoever. The dashboard was black and I wasn't able to turn on the engine.

Car was towed to dealership and at first they did not know what was wrong with it. They consulted with an engineer from BMW to inspect the car and they still did not know how to fix it. They promised to replace the car after I submitted a complaint to BMW headquarters. Two months later while on the waiting list for the replacement car, the service department calls me. Apparently, they replaced the engine or part of the engine and the car is running again. They drove it for 400 miles with no problems and they want to return to me. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #161
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBMW View Post
I bought a brand new X7 2023 few months ago. I drove it for 900 miles with no problems. Suddenly, while driving it, it dropped dead in the middle of the road with no warning whatsoever. The dashboard was black and I wasn't able to turn on the engine.

Car was towed to dealership and at first they did not know what was wrong with it. They consulted with an engineer from BMW to inspect the car and they still did not know how to fix it. They promised to replace the car after I submitted a complaint to BMW headquarters. Two months later while on the waiting list for the replacement car, the service department calls me. Apparently, they replaced the engine or part of the engine and the car is running again. They drove it for 400 miles with no problems and they want to return to me. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
That's an interesting one ... So, let's summarize: dead BRAND NEW vehicle after 900 miles, dealer takes it, takes 2 months to fix it, THEN drives it around for 400 miles AND wants you to take it back

Stick to your guns and get a replacement. No way in hell I would take that lemon back.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      01-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #162
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBMW View Post

That is the dealers car now as they were using it as such. No way ever would I take that car back and I would chew out the service manager even suggesting I take back a dealership used vehicle. Tell them you have some used chewing gum you want them to buy.
Appreciate 2
Tyriondo127.00
alic9613.50
      02-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #163
tantheaux
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Today, February 19, 2023, my 2023 BMW X7 M60i, with just over 6,000 miles, gave me the “stop driving, call roadside assistance” message… citing that the charging system was not working. Great! Based on this forum, I’m in for an ordeal. I traded my 2022 X7 40i because of all the great updates and enhancements to the new M platform. That may have been a critical mistake. I absolutely love the vehicle, but if this turns into a three month sh!tshow, I may have to change brands. If I wanted luxury with poor reliability, I’d have bought a Range Rover. 😕
Appreciate 2
JHarb1534.50
alic9613.50
      02-19-2023, 12:43 PM   #164
JHarb15
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 (Nissan Kicks)

Well heading to the dealership for the 4th time. All towed from my driveway. I’ve tried to be patient but all driver assistance systems just randomly shut off. I am officially over it. Tried to be patient but I do not feel it’s safe to drive this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:38 AM   #165
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarb15 View Post
Well heading to the dealership for the 4th time. All towed from my driveway. I’ve tried to be patient but all driver assistance systems just randomly shut off. I am officially over it. Tried to be patient but I do not feel it’s safe to drive this car.
Good luck...I hope you get it resolved! This is the 4th time?!Maybe you should ask for a buyback...
Appreciate 1
JHarb1534.50
      03-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #166
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep
Drives: X7, X5M, 330i

Similar 2023 Experience, but likely worse

I'll keep this short. Do not purchase a 23 X7. The vehicle is what I call a 'Covid car' and the build lacks quality and testing. Mine had successive AC, suspension, infotainment failures, the ventilated seats were a joke and the Apple Play system never connects....After being in the shop at least 5x and after repeated conversations with BMW corporate requesting a refund or replacement, to which they too zero accountability and refused to support my case....I got rid of it and got a bulletproof Ford Platinum Expedition, which works perfectly. It is not an X7, but the car works. I lost money on the X7 and most importantly, my time...This will likely be the last BMW I ever purchase, after a long 30 year history with this brand...I currently have an X5 and a 330, and will be replacing these cars with Porsches very soon...Porsche is a brand that stands behind their vehicles, and the quality is never in question. If you must have an X7, I would wait for the 2025 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 12:16 PM   #167
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis78757@yahoo.com View Post
I'll keep this short. Do not purchase a 23 X7. The vehicle is what I call a 'Covid car' and the build lacks quality and testing. Mine had successive AC, suspension, infotainment failures, the ventilated seats were a joke and the Apple Play system never connects....After being in the shop at least 5x and after repeated conversations with BMW corporate requesting a refund or replacement, to which they too zero accountability and refused to support my case....I got rid of it and got a bulletproof Ford Platinum Expedition, which works perfectly.
WOW! I almost bought one...I selected the options..the exterior/interior colors...etc. Then after reading about the many problems people are having with their 2023 X7...I changed my mind and bought a 2023 Mazda CX-9...so far I'm very happy with it...keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck with your Ford Expedition...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #168
RP2023
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

follow up

Following up on my post from December. So I got the car back in late December after 3 months in the shop (I drove it for less than a week at that point). The service records show that they tried to swap modules 3 times until they got it fixed, each time waiting for weeks to get parts from Germany. It was fine for 2 months and last week had a complete system failure, making it undrivable. I think 14 or 15 error messages popped up, power steering was out, 4WD failure, suspension failure, etc. Brought it back to the shop and that's where it will stay for good.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 01:11 PM   #169
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2023 View Post
Following up on my post from December. So I got the car back in late December after 3 months in the shop (I drove it for less than a week at that point). The service records show that they tried to swap modules 3 times until they got it fixed, each time waiting for weeks to get parts from Germany. It was fine for 2 months and last week had a complete system failure, making it undrivable. I think 14 or 15 error messages popped up, power steering was out, 4WD failure, suspension failure, etc. Brought it back to the shop and that's where it will stay for good.
I feel so bad for you. This is not right! This is a very expensive car...you expect much better than that. Your car definitely qualifies under the lemon laws. Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 05:18 AM   #170
shimalkharia
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I had a similar issue with my new BMW a while back, and it turned out to be a glitch in the computer system that the first repair shop couldn't figure out. It was incredibly frustrating, but I ended up taking it to a different shop, and they were able to diagnose and fix the problem.As for the towing situation, I've been there too – waiting for hours for a tow truck is beyond frustrating, especially when you're already stressed about the car. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, I'd recommend looking into affordable tow truck options in your area. It can really save you from those long waits.

Last edited by shimalkharia; 08-11-2023 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0