BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum NOTE FOR NEW BUYERS: Difference between current build and new 4/2023 build

08-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #23
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Thank you so much! That's good to know! A while ago...someone posted that it will only work on stop/go traffic on the freeway! I'm happy to hear that you tried it yourself on city streets.
Radar cruise control + lane keeping will work anywhere. Lane keeping obviously requires lane lines to be visible, at high speeds it needs to be able to see lane lines on both sides of your car, at low speeds it can use just one side (for example a country road with only the center yellow painted on it).

That basic system requires you to keep your hands on the wheel. It's pretty good but not great, sometimes it bounces around within the lane a bit. Seems like the '23 is better though.

The more advanced full hands free driving system only works if three conditions are met: <45mph, on a limited access highway, and in heavy traffic. I've read that the first two limitations can be modified by advanced coding. It is an excellent system which controls the car very well. It requires you to keep your eyes on the road.

If you have the basic radar cruse + lane keep activated, when you end up in a slow trafficked highway, the car will pop up a notification on the dash saying that you can press a button to activate the full hands free mode. When activated, the lights in the steering wheel light up green to indicate that the car is fully in control (not sure if the '23 still has the lights in the steering wheel). As traffic alleviates and you speed up, it'll hang around 44mph for a few seconds in case it's just a temporary speedup, as often happens. Otherwise, after a few seconds it will continue speeding up, and the steering wheel lights will turn off and it'll beep to notify you that the full hands free driving has been deactivated and that it's reverted back to the basic system. If you later drop below 45mph it sometimes automatically reengages full self driving, other times you have to press the button again.

In April, the full hands free mode will be extended to work up to 80/85mph on freeways and even without traffic.
Appreciate 2
PL13.50
braver1.50
      08-29-2022, 11:20 PM   #24
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
If you have the basic radar cruse + lane keep activated, when you end up in a slow trafficked highway, the car will pop up a notification on the dash saying that you can press a button to activate the full hands free mode. When activated, the lights in the steering wheel light up green to indicate that the car is fully in control (not sure if the '23 still has the lights in the steering wheel). As traffic alleviates and you speed up, it'll hang around 44mph for a few seconds in case it's just a temporary speedup, as often happens. Otherwise, after a few seconds it will continue speeding up, and the steering wheel lights will turn off and it'll beep to notify you that the full hands free driving has been deactivated and that it's reverted back to the basic system. If you later drop below 45mph it sometimes automatically reengages full self driving, other times you have to press the button again.

In April, the full hands free mode will be extended to work up to 80/85mph on freeways and even without traffic.
this is basically the behavior of the 23' except you dont have to press anything to get into drive assist plus mode, it will tell you on the display its available, just removing your hands will light up the steering wheel and away it goes.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 05:44 AM   #25
Justakid
Rep
Drives: Toyota

From CNET review:

The X7 gets all of the new driver-assistance systems BMW introduced on the 2023 7 Series, including the nifty hands-free Highway Assistant with lane-changing abilities I first experienced in an electric i7 prototype. BMW's updated automated parking technologies are available as well, and later this year, the X7 will add the 7 Series' remote control smartphone integration. Have a narrow driveway or tight garage? This'll make maneuvering the X7 a cinch.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2022, 05:48 AM   #26
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Thank you so much! That's good to know! A while ago...someone posted that it will only work on stop/go traffic on the freeway! I'm happy to hear that you tried it yourself on city streets.
Radar cruise control + lane keeping will work anywhere. Lane keeping obviously requires lane lines to be visible, at high speeds it needs to be able to see lane lines on both sides of your car, at low speeds it can use just one side (for example a country road with only the center yellow painted on it).

That basic system requires you to keep your hands on the wheel. It's pretty good but not great, sometimes it bounces around within the lane a bit. Seems like the '23 is better though.

The more advanced full hands free driving system only works if three conditions are met: <45mph, on a limited access highway, and in heavy traffic. I've read that the first two limitations can be modified by advanced coding. It is an excellent system which controls the car very well. It requires you to keep your eyes on the road.

And do you think the April upgrade will be on existing cars or new only?
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #27
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
nobody knows with 100% certainty yet, including BMW internal folks. In theory, the only vehicles that are guaranteed to get it will be the new X7s produced around that timeframe and after as there will be some hardware changes that will enable the Personal Pilot once it's released. As for highway assist, technically BMW can make it available on current X7 LCIs, as well as pre-LCI X7s. Both of these are technically able to get that features as the hardware and modules for drive assist is exactly the same. At that time, BMW may decide to grant the extended highway assist to X7 LCI made on 4/2023 and after only, or all X7 LCIs, or all X7 LCIs and pre LCIs (it all depends on what the decision makers will decide at that time). However, the Personal Pilot which holds more serious autonomous driving features will only be available on X7 produced form April/May 2023 and after as it needs an upgraded service pack matching what iX and 7-sedan are getting now which the X7 is not getting as of today.

I would say that BMW has some reputation of not rolling new updates to the already-produced vehicles. We have seen this in late 2019 when BMW released the 3D view in the drive assist for X7 (at that time they excluded all the 2019 X7 produced from June 2019 and before from that even though technically all of them were compatible). At that time, I was able to make that available on my vehicle following some coding using e-sys, luckily because the X7 in 2019 had already the most recent service pack and BMW did NOT make any changes in hardware, so coding was enough to unlock those features. BMW is so good in making changes following the 1st year release of any vehicle and not make it available to those who jumped first during the first 6-9 months of the vehicle intro date.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #28
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Quote:
nobody knows with 100% certainty yet, including BMW internal folks. In theory, the only vehicles that are guaranteed to get it will be the new X7s produced around that timeframe and after as there will be some hardware changes that will enable the Personal Pilot once it's released. As for highway assist, technically BMW can make it available on current X7 LCIs, as well as pre-LCI X7s. Both of these are technically able to get that features as the hardware and modules for drive assist is exactly the same. At that time, BMW may decide to grant the extended highway assist to X7 LCI made on 4/2023 and after only, or all X7 LCIs, or all X7 LCIs and pre LCIs (it all depends on what the decision makers will decide at that time). However, the Personal Pilot which holds more serious autonomous driving features will only be available on X7 produced form April/May 2023 and after as it needs an upgraded service pack matching what iX and 7-sedan are getting now which the X7 is not getting as of today.

I would say that BMW has some reputation of not rolling new updates to the already-produced vehicles. We have seen this in late 2019 when BMW released the 3D view in the drive assist for X7 (at that time they excluded all the 2019 X7 produced from June 2019 and before from that even though technically all of them were compatible). At that time, I was able to make that available on my vehicle following some coding using e-sys, luckily because the X7 in 2019 had already the most recent service pack and BMW did NOT make any changes in hardware, so coding was enough to unlock those features. BMW is so good in making changes following the 1st year release of any vehicle and not make it available to those who jumped first during the first 6-9 months of the vehicle intro date.
Gotcha. Highway assistant is the one I think we should care about. From what I've read on personal pilot that's a late 2023 to 2024 thing for Europe and who knows when for US. Motorway assistant and the remote maneuvering though would be a shame not to get on early LCI vehicles. That being said I would still take my car knowing it won't get. I missed traffic jam assist on my 2019 X5 and apple car key on my July 2020 X7, both by weeks of production date and though I was beyond annoyed each time I was still happy in my vehicle and there is always a next thing you won't have anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #29
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. Highway assistant is the one I think we should care about. From what I've read on personal pilot that's a late 2023 to 2024 thing for Europe and who knows when for US. Motorway assistant and the remote maneuvering though would be a shame not to get on early LCI vehicles. That being said I would still take my car knowing it won't get. I missed traffic jam assist on my 2019 X5 and apple car key on my July 2020 X7, both by weeks of production date and though I was beyond annoyed each time I was still happy in my vehicle and there is always a next thing you won't have anyway.
Missing the Apple car play on the 2019 X5, and the missing Apple Car Key on the X7 2019/early 2020, as well as the Drive assist 3D viewer in the X7 2019 are PERFECT examples on what to expect in terms of the current X7 LCI missing features and tech compared to the ~April 2023 build and after. We do not know yet what upgrades and features will be rolled over, but many features will be made available and we will know more about it down the road. In summary, if one can wait and if you are very passionate about tech features, it is a very wise decision to wait for the April 2023 and the newer service pack. Historically, BMW has always done it without a pre-notice (missing features in the 1st few months or year of production).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 01:11 PM   #30
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Missing the Apple car play on the 2019 X5, and the missing Apple Car Key on the X7 2019/early 2020, as well as the Drive assist 3D viewer in the X7 2019 are PERFECT examples on what to expect in terms of the current X7 LCI missing features and tech compared to the ~April 2023 build and after. We do not know yet what upgrades and features will be rolled over, but many features will be made available and we will know more about it down the road. In summary, if one can wait and if you are very passionate about tech features, it is a very wise decision to wait for the April 2023 and the newer service pack. Historically, BMW has always done it without a pre-notice (missing features in the 1st few months or year of production).
This is why I debated waiting for the 2042 builds to come out. You know they'll have even more tech than the 2032s. Alas, I decided to jump in now and get a 2023. Who knows, maybe I'll be in the market for a 2032 down the line and can enjoy all that I'll be missing out on with my measly 2023...
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #31
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Quote:
This is why I debated waiting for the 2042 builds to come out. You know they'll have even more tech than the 2032s. Alas, I decided to jump in now and get a 2023. Who knows, maybe I'll be in the market for a 2032 down the line and can enjoy all that I'll be missing out on with my measly 2023...
HA! I was thinking the same thing! 🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #32
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjones4 View Post
In the 2023, assuming you have driver assist on, once the car detects conditions are suitable for assist plus such as slow traffic or stop and go, assist plus ready will activate in the cluster next to speedometer. Once you remove your hands from wheel, it will activate hands free and the light on steering wheel will illuminate green.
I was in traffic today and my assistant plus did not engage. The driver assist was turned on. I looked at my settings and it says driver assistant plus is not available in this country. Do you have similar message or I need to get the software updated. Thanks in advance for help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:59 PM   #33
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
I was in traffic today and my assistant plus did not engage. The driver assist was turned on. I looked at my settings and it says driver assistant plus is not available in this country. Do you have similar message or I need to get the software updated. Thanks in advance for help.
This is the formal BMW acronym for traffic jam assist. It is also the same for pre lci. When it’s active, you see a message (drive assist plus) on the driver screen. I have it in my pre-lci. It is available in the US. You might need to check with your dealer as to why it is deactivated on your vehicle; UNLES BMW HAS RECENTLY LOST ITS APPROVAL TO USE IT IN THE US!!!! Which will be very disappointing for LCI vehicles now.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #34
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
This is the formal BMW acronym for traffic jam assist. It is also the same for pre lci. When it’s active, you see a message (drive assist plus) on the driver screen. I have it in my pre-lci. It is available in the US. You might need to check with your dealer as to why it is deactivated on your vehicle; UNLES BMW HAS RECENTLY LOST ITS APPROVAL TO USE IT IN THE US!!!! Which will be very disappointing for LCI vehicles now.
Thanks. I will call them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #35
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Looks like this is the final answer.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/0NgwJN5G/976-CE...B8-A9-E5-A.png[/IMG]

Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #36
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions.
Quote:

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #37
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Exactly... this is the same information I have and this is what I was debating that the current LCI are produced with modules that are NOT up to date yet, and a carry over from the pre-lci. The X7 will get a new upgraded service pack and modules starting spring (~April) and only X7s produced then will have those upcoming features. There are a few other features that will be made available only to those. The current X7 were released with the older service pack and will be lacking most features that will be released between now and 2027 for other idrive 8 vehicles. This includes personal pilot. Like I said, it is more of a new hardware needed than a software.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-01-2022 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #38
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Exactly... this is the same information I have and this is what I was debating that the current LCI are produced with modules that are NOT up to date yet, and a carry over from the pre-lci. The X7 will get a new upgraded service pack and modules starting spring (~april) and only X7s produced then will have those upcoming features. There are a few other features that will be made available only to those. The current X7 were released with the older service pack and will be lacking most features that will be released between now and 2027 for other idrive 8 vehicles. This includes personal pilot. Like I said, it is more of a new hardware needed than a software.
See formal confirmation on all of this from BMW USA in posts above (copied below).

From BMW USA: “We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions.”

MystroX5
JJacksonIII
Jrjones4
Setllarboss
Icecool
Brigitte
Brinkley77
PinkNinja400Guy
Orient330iNYC
Justakid

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-01-2022 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #39
Jennifer
Banned
Rep
Drives: X7

I am sure vehicles produced in 2025 will be more advanced than those in April 2023, and there will be X8 with one more X than X7, and then when you purchase those X8 after April 2025, there will be X9 ... so you can always wait one more year and get something better! Then, what are you waiting for?!

The CURRENT X7 is a great vehicle, and I love to buy it now! We live in a free country so you can wait!
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #40
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
See formal confirmation on all of this from BMW USA in posts above (copied below).

From BMW USA: “We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions.”

MystroX5
JJacksonIII
Jrjones4
Setllarboss
Icecool
Brigitte
Brinkley77
PinkNinja400Guy
Orient330iNYC
Justakid
Yeah, great, I'm not arguing with you. I'm questioning the over zealous posts that are practically yelling at everyone that whatever you do, do not buy a 2023 BMW X7!!! I don't care about any of this and it doesn't influence my decision to buy now or later. So calm down and let it go.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #41
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, great, I'm not arguing with you. I'm questioning the over zealous posts that are practically yelling at everyone that whatever you do, do not buy a 2023 BMW X7!!! I don't care about any of this and it doesn't influence my decision to buy now or later. So calm down and let it go.
Sounds like you are getting angry and offended that others potentially are not finding the LCI to worth it. People are free to share their opinion with others, whether it agrees with your plans or not it makes no differences. You have to learn that this is a forum and people are free to share facts as well as their opinion as long as it is based on some sort of foundation. So, you can calm down, and simply get whatever vehicle you want even if* other people think it's ugly you don't need to feel offended. Calm down and if u don't care then dont access such posts... your response above brings no value whatsoever to anyone here.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-05-2022 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #42
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
I am sure vehicles produced in 2025 will be more advanced than those in April 2023, and there will be X8 with one more X than X7, and then when you purchase those X8 after April 2025, there will be X9 ... so you can always wait one more year and get something better! Then, what are you waiting for?!

The CURRENT X7 is a great vehicle, and I love to buy it now! We live in a free country so you can wait!
we're not talking about the X7 vs other vehicles. The X7 is the only 3-row large/long sedan that BMW is selling, so the comparison between the X7 and X8 is not even in the picture (those would have different customer base anymore, with the understanding that some customers would fall under both categories).

Speaking of upgrades and new techs, usually a given BMW vehicle generation does NOT get major upgrades each year, accept for the first year in some cases. In this case, it is expected that starting from April 2023 all the way until mid of 2027 all the X7 LCI will hold same exact tech, same hardware and features, leaving the LCI produced now and for the next 6 months on a different category lacking some features. So, the point is, for those who are at the fence of buying now or later (specifically those who are passionate about tech and don't trade in their car every year), such information is worth it for them as they can wait until April and keep the car for 4-5 years which would likely be identical to the 2026 release date too. For 2022-3/2023 LCI, it is clear that BMW is producing them half cooked to some degree with regards to some features. After-all, each person decides on his own timeline and features/tech that matters or don't matter for him. In my case, given that I keep my cars for 3 years on average of 4, if I decide to get the LCI, I'd rather get the 4/2023 and keep it until 2026 or so, than getting it now and not getting all the benefits that other X7s will be getting in the same timeframe. Few months of waiting to gain 3-4 years of full access to all features/techs. Timeline might be different for some others, but it was important to highlight the full picture as it relates to what the current LCI is missing or will be getting in just a few months from now. In all cases, I still prefer a new 2022 pre-lci than LCI, until the LCI is equipped with autonomous driving in 3/2023 that might overweigh some of the other features/design aspects that I dislike in it. If I have to see that new front end every morning as I walk into my garage, something else has to entice me in (aka, autonomous driving, or hands free driving on highway up to 85 miles/hr starting around 4/2023 builds). if it is just a new front end that doesn't look as nice as pre-lci to me, yet with same service pack and hardware as the previous one and not even compatible with future upgrades that future X7 will be getting starting 4/2023, then why even do I need to go for it right now? Just my opinion and my prospective which doesn't need to match other's opinion.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-05-2022 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
Brigitte484.50
      09-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #43
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you are getting angry and offended that others potentially are not finding the LCI to worth it. People are free to share their opinion with others, whether it agrees with your plans or not it makes no differences. You have to learn that this is a forum and people are free to share facts as well as their opinion as long as it is based on some sort of foundation. So, you can calm down, and simply get whatever vehicle you want even then other people think it's ugly you don't need to feel offended. Calm down and if u don't care then dont access such posts... your response above brings no value whatsoever to anyone here.
You are tagging me. Why? I don't care. I'm not offended. I just don't care about this thread and you're tagging me on it. Knock your self out explaining why everyone should not be buying the LCI. And keep tagging me if you really must. I'm just letting you know that your post is not useful to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #44
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You are tagging me. Why? I don't care. I'm not offended. I just don't care about this thread and you're tagging me on it. Knock your self out explaining why everyone should not be buying the LCI. And keep tagging me if you really must. I'm just letting you know that your post is not useful to me.
I didn’t, you are the one who came to this thread first and added yourself to the loop by taking time from your day to write a response on 09:06 AM 08-28-2022 before I even tagged you. Hence, I cc’d you once I got formal confirmation on part of the information I was sharing. If you didn’t visit and respond to this thread first, I wouldn’t have tagged you. If you didn’t care, you didn’t need to visit the thread and take time to write a reply here. I’ll leave you alone, you don’t need to visit this thread anymore if you don’t care (but make sure you don’t add yourself first to the thread next time like you did here, otherwise I will tag you again).
Appreciate 0