BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 with Anemic Air Conditioning

View Poll Results: Any new 2023 X7 owners experiencing anemic AC?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 28 56.00%
Yes with comments 6 12.00%
No with comments 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

08-31-2022, 02:12 PM   #23
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis78757@yahoo.com View Post
I will play around with the settings and report back. I also have a service appointment with a tech soon. Hopefully, it is user-error (but, I kinda doubt it. I've had over 20 BMWs).
Curious how this goes?

If that doesn't help might want to ask the dealer to look into the parts db to see if they changed the ac compressor p/n vs 2021. If that one was fine and they didn't change the part then you have a stronger case that it's possibly low charge or malfunctioning compressor

Also if you can find someone with one, IR gun the vents to check the air coming out is cold

Agree this is one that often dealers chalk up to "just a complaint" before they dig in deep
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:36 PM   #24
Tay161
Rep
Drives: X7 2023 (ordered)

I’ve only owned one other BMW before ordering this one ( 1986 E23) that I inherited and I thought the AC couldn’t get any more anemic than that. I’m in TX now and definitely hoping the climate settings can be tweaked.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:40 PM   #25
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Was the sunroof shade open or closed? There is a lot of glass for heat gain. The shade being open or closed in my X5M makes a big difference on really hot, sunny days.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:41 PM   #26
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
I've just taken delivery of the newest gen X7 and I'm enjoying the changes, maybe not all of them, but it's a refresh over first gen and I like the refinements. One area not refined is the AC. I noticed immediately on a very hot Texas test drive day that the AC was anemic, at best. I'm not sure if they lowered the capacity of the blower motor or all AC bits, but it really sucks. I thought I was a little nuts, or that it was just a really hot day, so I've given it a few shots now that the X7 is in my driveway. To no avail, the AC is just plain anemic, and it is not going to work for anyone in Texas, or very hot/humid climates. I'm taking it in for service in a week. For 90k, I will require an AC that can handle the Texas heat. Everyone should. -I've experienced this before with a 2016 X5. The AC never worked well. A service advisor just shrugged his shoulders and said that is just the way it is with X5s. I sold the car immediately. I now have a 2022 X5M, and the AC will blow you into the back seat. It's perfectly functional, and then some. So, I don't buy, 'that's just the way it is.." I despise lazy service techs.
Do you set the air flow to "recirculate" so you're not sucking in hot air from outside?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:36 PM   #27
wwwbmw
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

Went through the settings as instructed setting them to cold and set the fan to high. Seemed to help a lot in my 2022 40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:46 PM   #28
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
programming as in coding the car?
Sorry. Programming is wrong word choice. Just messing with settings etc.... Feels like programming . I do not have AC issues though.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #29
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

You can also change the air flow so that it all comes out of the dashboard vents into your face instead of being distributed with the floor vents and defrost. Use the button just left of "Auto".
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #30
Bobbyd1900
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 m550, 2023 x7

Hi all,,, I just took delivery of a new 2023 x7 yesterday. This morning the check engine light is on and the AC is blowing HOT air like a sauna at any and all settings. Also the “Max AC” won’t toggle to the on position. Dealer will be taking it tomorrow via flatbed to see what the issue is. I sure hope it’s not the beginning of a lemon case. My 2022 m550 has been amazing for the past year, zero complaints and a daily driver.

I’ll post up here when I have answers in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #31
Daddypatric01
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I've just taken delivery of the newest gen X7 and I'm enjoying the changes, maybe not all of them, but it's a refresh over first gen and I like the refinements. One area not refined is the AC. I noticed immediately on a very hot Texas test drive day that the AC was anemic, at best. I'm not sure if they lowered the capacity of the blower motor or all AC bits, but it really sucks. I thought I was a little nuts, or that it was just a really hot day, so I've given it a few shots now that the X7 is in my driveway. To no avail, the AC is just plain anemic, and it is not going to work for anyone in Texas, or very hot/humid climates. I'm taking it in for service in a week. For 90k, I will require an AC that can handle the Texas heat. Everyone should. -I've experienced this before with a 2016 X5. The AC never worked well. A service advisor just shrugged his shoulders and said that is just the way it is with X5s. I sold the car immediately. I now have a 2022 X5M, and the AC will blow you into the back seat. It's perfectly functional, and then some. So, I don't buy, 'that's just the way it is.." I despise lazy service techs.
Quote:
Here also
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #32
FutrBMWOwner
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

My 2022 X7 is my first BMW. I have noticed that sometimes the air wont blow very cold even on the lowest setting. But a few minutes of Max A/C then switching back to my previous setting does the trick.

Was going to ask about it at my first oil change to see if there is anything I need to be wary of.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:54 AM   #33
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
My AC is outstanding. Mine will freeze you in a few minutes with 100 degree temps out side.
My bet is you dont have it set up for max cold output.

This topic comes up from new owners so much I copied from the manual.
Go into the iDrive and set the hidden dash flow temp to all the way blue(coldest). It is set mid temp as standard.
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/damlr4xxrs...20PM.png?raw=1[/img]
To the OP, and anyone else who thinks you have an issue, this is what you need to check first. On many cars, including my '17 M3 this temperature adjustment is typically via a manual knob. That manual knob has clear "blue and red" zones, which depending on the setting will have a significant influence on the temperature of air coming out of the vents - regardless of heat vs AC mode.

On the X7, and other late model BMW's with iDrive 7 and newer, this knob has been replaced and placed deep in the iDrive menus (where it is not too intuitive). My AC in my '20 X7 works just fine, but it took me a while to find these additional settings as I did not even know they existed at first. But when I did find them, they were set "fine" from the factory, but YMMV….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #34
Mtnskier
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0

It looks like the put too much programming into the Auto mode. Pasted from the OM below. Does it help if you get out of the Auto mode?

Depending on the equipment, the automatic
program provides the best possible settings
for climate control functions depending on
the outside temperature, interior temperature
sunlight, seat occupancy and the desired temperature
setting:
▷ Air flow.
▷ Air distribution.
▷ Temperature.
▷ Seat and armrest heating.
▷ Active seat ventilation.
▷ Steering wheel heating
The automatic program takes seat occupancy
into account, regulating the climate in an energy-
efficient manner that is tailored to the occupants.
At the same time, a condensation sensor controls
the automatic program in order to prevent
window condensation to the extent possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:35 AM   #35
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
I'm honestly confused with what you are trying say.
I think he's saying that the AC in the newer models are working better than in the older models. And it is not due to the weather being cooler than before in his city..as it is as hot as before. He's wondering about the reason why. I'm also wondering if they came up with new and improved AC units...or was it simply a software update that improved its performance. I don't think BMW mentioned anything about upgrading the ACs. Anyhow...I'm glad the AC is working better now..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #36
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
So I won’t tell my wife that she is right on this bumping up the fan. I always told her that’s what auto is for but I guys I’m wrong
The fan setting on auto sets the maximum the fan will run. It will automatically run slower, but won’t go above the max.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #37
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep
Drives: X7, X5M, 330i

Service update on 2023 X7 with anemic air conditioning....A service tech tested the system in my new X7 and shared some news...The 2023 X7, 7 series and possibly other models are all using a new AC system that operates based on additional sensors that have been placed in the vehicle to measure zone temps...Front, Middle and Rear in the X7. When in auto mode, these sensors fire up and activate the zone that needs the most cooling with automatic air diversion. This causes a constant fluctuation of air flow among the zones. And, I've found that the zones sort of fight each other constantly. The system does not work well. My service advisor shared that he's starting to receive quite a few service requests and AC complaints from the new system. His advice was to disengage the auto mode and manually control the AC. I've sampled this guidance, and it does help. But, I am now questioning why I just spent over 90k on a vehicle that I have to manually input AC controls while the auto mode is useless? IMHO, BMW has over engineered the new system, it does not work well, and they should revert to the prior generation AC as it worked perfectly. I am not a very happy 2023 X7 owner right now.
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa314.50
lcd12326.00
      09-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #38
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Service update on 2023 X7 with anemic air conditioning....A service tech tested the system in my new X7 and shared some news...The 2023 X7, 7 series and possibly other models are all using a new AC system that operates based on additional sensors that have been placed in the vehicle to measure zone temps...Front, Middle and Rear in the X7. When in auto mode, these sensors fire up and activate the zone that needs the most cooling with automatic air diversion. This causes a constant fluctuation of air flow among the zones. And, I've found that the zones sort of fight each other constantly. The system does not work well. My service advisor shared that he's starting to receive quite a few service requests and AC complaints from the new system. His advice was to disengage the auto mode and manually control the AC. I've sampled this guidance, and it does help. But, I am now questioning why I just spent over 90k on a vehicle that I have to manually input AC controls while the auto mode is useless? IMHO, BMW has over engineered the new system, it does not work well, and they should revert to the prior generation AC as it worked perfectly. I am not a very happy 2023 X7 owner right now.
Man I really hope this can be corrected via a software update
Appreciate 1
lcd12326.00
      09-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #39
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

Me too. I asked the tech about an update, and due to the maturity of this new generation, he felt it is just too early to expect a response from BMW...Are you experiencing the same thing on yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #40
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Me too. I asked the tech about an update, and due to the maturity of this new generation, he felt it is just too early to expect a response from BMW...Are you experiencing the same thing on yours?
I've yet to receive mine... In QC for one month now. Maybe they're working on getting the AC just right for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #41
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I've yet to receive mine... In QC for one month now. Maybe they're working on getting the AC just right for me.
OMG! This is another important issue to me as I live in an area where temperatures can go up to 115 degrees during June..July..and August! I can't believe what I'm reading! This is totally unexpected from a luxury car! The AC is perfect in my Ford Fusion that is 9 years old! I'm really shocked/disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #42
Bobbyd1900
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 m550, 2023 x7

Update on my new 2023 x7. Dealer said it was a “loose harness cable” and it had “plastic debris” in the harness. It’s been cooling fine since coming back home after the weekend at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #43
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

Thank you for the update, and terrific news! My X7 is cooling, but the distribution of airflow is just erratic, it sort of does what it want to do with disregard to manual inputs. This results in weak cooling and airflow, mostly from the front vents. I'll advise my service advisor that we might have a harness issue. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #44
JParsonss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 7 Series 760i

Garage List
I have had several BMW's over the years, and have not had any issues with the AC. I like it really cold as well- typically keep it on 65 or 63.
Appreciate 0