BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 with Anemic Air Conditioning

View Poll Results: Any new 2023 X7 owners experiencing anemic AC?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 28 56.00%
Yes with comments 6 12.00%
No with comments 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

09-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #45
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep
Drives: X7, X5M, 330i

I agree J. I don't feel confident my BMW service advisor was qualified in his recommendation. I've just spoken with my dealership where purchased (not local to me) and they want me to take it to another dealership. It sounds like I might have an airflow flap malfunction? I'll keep all updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #46
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

23X7 AC Update....I spent 30 minutes with one of the best BMW techs in Austin driving around my warm X7...Within 5 minutes, he said, "your AC is malfunctioning and it is likely the evaporator is frozen which blocks all air flow, hence the weak volume of air coming from the vents, while the blower motor is at 100%..." This rough diagnosis validated that I am not crazy which made me a feel a little better. However, it is not the actual diagnosis as there could be something deeper looming. The service department will actually begin to tear it apart next week for the actual diagnosis. The tech felt there would be a fix, but it would be at the compromise of reducing the AC temp settings, which will ultimate reduce the actual cooling temperature. This 'fix' doesn't really give me the assurance the problem is fixable, rather, a bandaid over poor engineering. I hope I am wrong. Meanwhile, I've had a 23 X7 that is inoperable for over a month not including the time an attempt to repair will require. I've not been offered a loaner car, nor replacement vehicle from BMW. This is very telling and I might be going back to Mercedes or even Porsche as I feel their quality, service and support is so much better than what I am experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #47
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Update here, as I feel my 23 X7 A/C could be stronger and it always sounds so loud yet not much air feels like it's coming out.

I now have a 22 X5, and I can say it has the same exact issue, really loud but not much wind (compared to other cars). Similar to my 23 X7, the X5 also has significantly reduced air power coming out of the leftmost and rightmost vents, it's like 25% the power of the center vents. Regardless, even the center events don't produce a huge breeze. This is even if I max the fan out.

It is worth noting, if you use Auto mode on either car, you need to set the Max fan to "Very High", it won't always run there, but that sets the max it'll go to.

Overall, I find the cooling sufficient, and I'm dealing with triple digit heat, however, I find the entire system to be WAY too loud even at moderate cooling loads. It's my wife's largest gripe, such an otherwise quiet car is terribly loud when the A/C is running. I can say the 22 X5 we're borrowing is exactly the same
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #48
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

Thanks for sharing your similar issue, I'm just sad you are experiencing the same thing. Update: BMW local service has attempted to fix the issue three times now, to no avail. The last attempt was to replace a resistor to stop evaporator freezing, but to no avail on this fix. -I've tried all modes, auto, manual, sync, no sync and the system just has a mind of its own. I get some decent vent volume and cooling sometimes, but it does not last long, and the system reverts into a low air volume stage, while the blower is at 100%, very noisy and no action. I've had to look into lemon law action and I've notified BMW of North America of the issue. Sadly, the BMW dealership in college station Texas has been completely unsupportive, which has also been reported in my case with BMW. At this point, I simply want BMW of NA to pick up the car, give me my money back and we can both part ways. I'm pretty done with the situation, the time it has required, and the frustration. We're all busy people, who has time for this bullshit with a 90k vehicle, that is new?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #49
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis78757@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks for sharing your similar issue, I'm just sad you are experiencing the same thing. Update: BMW local service has attempted to fix the issue three times now, to no avail. The last attempt was to replace a resistor to stop evaporator freezing, but to no avail on this fix. -I've tried all modes, auto, manual, sync, no sync and the system just has a mind of its own. I get some decent vent volume and cooling sometimes, but it does not last long, and the system reverts into a low air volume stage, while the blower is at 100%, very noisy and no action. I've had to look into lemon law action and I've notified BMW of North America of the issue. Sadly, the BMW dealership in college station Texas has been completely unsupportive, which has also been reported in my case with BMW. At this point, I simply want BMW of NA to pick up the car, give me my money back and we can both part ways. I'm pretty done with the situation, the time it has required, and the frustration. We're all busy people, who has time for this bullshit with a 90k vehicle, that is new?
Sorry to hear that, in your second to last post you mentioned Austin, did you drive into Austin for them to look at it?

In my case, I have cool air, it's plenty cool and it stays cool and keeps the car cool, but it doesn't produce a strong amount of wind like other cars do, and it sounds very loud for the airflow it's producing. Again, this is just compared to other cars I've owned. I don't recall my 2008 and 2009 BMWs having this issue, but my 2022 X5 loaner is equally as loud and also equally as less breezy as I'd expect. That said, there's no issue keeping the car cool, I just wish it was quieter. It sounds like whatever fans BMW is using or whatever the design behind the dash on these SUVs just isn't as powerful nor quiet as my recent cars (Volvos and Teslas).
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #50
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
I'm now very worried...I was considering the X7...I was ready to place an order next month. Well...I live in Nevada where the temperature gets well over 100 degrees in June...July...and August. It easily can reach 110 to 115 degrees. It starts to get really hot in mid-April.

I have read other posts citing the same problem. This is really shocking for a vehicle that costs 90K + . They didn't even give you a loaner car...this is outrageous!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:56 PM   #51
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I'm now very worried...I was considering the X7...I was ready to place an order next month. Well...I live in Nevada where the temperature gets well over 100 degrees in June...July...and August. It easily can reach 110 to 115 degrees. It starts to get really hot in mid-April.

I have read other posts citing the same problem. This is really shocking for a vehicle that costs 90K + . They didn't even give you a loaner car...this is outrageous!
Read my earlier posts. I think the original poster has an issue specific to his car. The 22 X5 and 23 X7 both operate identically in terms of ACs (X7 having the 5th zone helps for rear passengers), but outside of it being noisier than I'd like (both X5 and X7), it cools fine for 100+ Texas days.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #52
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
Read my earlier posts. I think the original poster has an issue specific to his car. The 22 X5 and 23 X7 both operate identically in terms of ACs (X7 having the 5th zone helps for rear passengers), but outside of it being noisier than I'd like (both X5 and X7), it cools fine for 100+ Texas days.
I understand...I'm a retiree...I wanted to treat myself to a nice luxury car that would give me peace of mind. This will be my last car. I've read so many posts about different issues in the 2023 X7. In addition to all that...they didn't even provide him with a loaner for a brand new car he just got. I have owned American cars all my life (Ford & Mercury). I only went to the dealer for recalls and maintenance. I traded in my cars almost every 3 years with around 80k...a trouble free 80k I might add. I owned one Infiniti Q45 which also had zero issues. I loved it...it was the quietest...the ride was smooth as silk! I use the AC a minimum of 6 months a year. If it's faulty or too loud..it's unacceptable for a 90k vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #53
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I understand...I'm a retiree...I wanted to treat myself to a nice luxury car that would give me peace of mind. This will be my last car. I've read so many posts about different issues in the 2023 X7. In addition to all that...they didn't even provide him with a loaner for a brand new car he just got. I have owned American cars all my life (Ford & Mercury). I only went to the dealer for recalls and maintenance. I traded in my cars almost every 3 years with around 80k...a trouble free 80k I might add. I owned one Infiniti Q45 which also had zero issues. I loved it...it was the quietest...the ride was smooth as silk! I use the AC a minimum of 6 months a year. If it's faulty or too loud..it's unacceptable for a 90k vehicle.
Too loud may be subjective, seems like the 22 X5 has the same level of noise, it's just an observation.

My car, one of if not the first X7 M60i delivered had a driver assistant sensor fault at delivery (hasn't produced any errors but the dealer says it reports a fault in some low level diagnostic). They let me take delivery and got the part from Germany. I had no problem getting a loaner when my part arrived (last week). The dealer is backed up so they said it might take them a week to get to it. I have a brand new X5 as a loaner, not quite an M60i, but can't complain.

Forums like this (same for Ford/Mercury, Infiniti forums) are going to be mostly people complaining and posting their tragic stories. Few people outside of nerdy enthusiasts come to talk positively. While reading threads about troubled vehicles is disheartening, it's somewhat like reading about someone struck by lightning on the news, it's going to get news, but nobody talks about who isn't getting struck by lightning (crappy analogy).
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #54
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

My hope is that my situation and issue is isolated. I use this forum to share experiences and honestly, to try and troubleshoot when the service departments do not provide resolutions. I have owned well over 30 different BMWs over the past 25 years. This is not a minor complaint, nor an uninformed experience. It is unfortunately a very real experience, and BMW of North America is now in escalation mode on this case, and quite a few others from what I have been told. My recommendation would be to allow for this new generation to live out there in production for some time before purchase. I only wish I would have followed my own recommendation.
Appreciate 2
Brigitte484.50
lcd12326.00
      09-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #55
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
Too loud may be subjective, seems like the 22 X5 has the same level of noise, it's just an observation.

My car, one of if not the first X7 M60i delivered had a driver assistant sensor fault at delivery (hasn't produced any errors but the dealer says it reports a fault in some low level diagnostic). They let me take delivery and got the part from Germany. I had no problem getting a loaner when my part arrived (last week). The dealer is backed up so they said it might take them a week to get to it. I have a brand new X5 as a loaner, not quite an M60i, but can't complain.

Forums like this (same for Ford/Mercury, Infiniti forums) are going to be mostly people complaining and posting their tragic stories. Few people outside of nerdy enthusiasts come to talk positively. While reading threads about troubled vehicles is disheartening, it's somewhat like reading about someone struck by lightning on the news, it's going to get news, but nobody talks about who isn't getting struck by lightning (crappy analogy).
"While reading threads about troubled vehicles is disheartening, it's somewhat like reading about someone struck by lightning on the news"

This analogy equally applies to forums for all car brands. It's a level playing field. That's why I browse forums and read posts on Facebook regarding owners feedback. I must admit that the level of complaints here is way higher. I took into consideration the sizable membership of this forum. I also took into consideration the sales statistics of the SUVs I'm considering. In addition I look at the # of complaints filed with the NHTSA site. For example...2022 Cadillac XT6 has zero complaints. There are 2 complaints for the X7...and 4 complaints for the X5. Keep in mind that those complaints only represent the number of people who chose to file official complaints with the NHTSA. It's all relative. I will make my final decision after I test drive those SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #56
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
My hope is that my situation and issue is isolated. I use this forum to share experiences and honestly, to try and troubleshoot when the service departments do not provide resolutions. I have owned well over 30 different BMWs over the past 25 years. This is not a minor complaint, nor an uninformed experience. It is unfortunately a very real experience, and BMW of North America is now in escalation mode on this case, and quite a few others from what I have been told. My recommendation would be to allow for this new generation to live out there in production for some time before purchase. I only wish I would have followed my own recommendation.
Good luck...I hope you get it resolved soon...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #57
RBFX7M60I
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

I agree the AC is very weak. I purchased a 2023 X7 a month ago and live in South Louisiana. The temperature has been 90-95 degrees for the last 2 months. The AC blower makes a lot of noise but not much air is coming from the vents. When coming to a stop the engine turns off and so does the AC compressor. Within seconds warmer, humid air starts blowing from the vents. It’s very frustrating because the cabin seems to never cool down on a short commute in the extreme heat.

Pano roof shade stays closed. The AC is set for max cold for driver and front passenger. Ceramic tinted windows.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:49 PM   #58
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Do you have them all synced together? If not, maybe it won't reach full potential? Both X7's I've owned will freeze us. I keep it 72-76. Mostly on 74 and the fan speed only on the second "notch". Once in a while in florida, we would do max until the car cooled down and then back to auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:17 AM   #59
Jrjones4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2023 X7 M60i

If you do Max AC on short trip or when super hot the engine does not turn off at stops in the 2023, but stays on to provide max cooling. I had a 2022 m50 and now 2023 m60 and the AC system seems the same to me. I leave it on 70 auto, 2nd notch on fan adjustment, and use Max for times when very trying to cool down quickly. I do agree on max fans it’s a bit noisy, but on auto and the 1st or 2nd fan adjustment I find it really quiet and works well even on 95+ degree days.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #60
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjones4 View Post
If you do Max AC on short trip or when super hot the engine does not turn off at stops in the 2023, but stays on to provide max cooling. I had a 2022 m50 and now 2023 m60 and the AC system seems the same to me. I leave it on 70 auto, 2nd notch on fan adjustment, and use Max for times when very trying to cool down quickly. I do agree on max fans it’s a bit noisy, but on auto and the 1st or 2nd fan adjustment I find it really quiet and works well even on 95+ degree days.
Yeah they're the same. Perhaps the original poster had a specific issue, but these BMWs entirely seem to just have weaker A/C systems. They're extremely noisy for how little air they produce. It's like a silent blizzard in my Volvo versus a jet engine of mild chilled breeze in the BMW. I can say the 2022 X5 loaner we had was exactly the same, weak and loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 06:02 AM   #61
Jcd
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7 40 2023

I live in Miami,Fl. And last week I bought a new X7 i40 +100k fully equipped.

The first 2 days the weather in South florida was a bit cooler but this week we had 95+ at day time.

Th AC air flow is a complete joke. I trade in a 2022 SQ8 and I regret going back to BMW.

The car spend 4 days in the service supposedly they are adjusting the AC and today I pick it up. And didn't fix the issue

If you leave your car on the sun for 1 hour it will take at least 30 min for the inside to cool down at the max speed and very Noisy AC blower.

I would not recommend at all this car. Be careful before you buy.
Appreciate 1
Chi648894.00
      10-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #62
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
On the pre-LCI, there's a setting where you can adjust the intensity of the airflow. I keep mine on a low setting because I don't love a lot of air blowing on me. You can adjust it from weak to very high. Make sure you have checked this. Assuming it's still an option on LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 11:25 PM   #63
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
On the pre-LCI, there's a setting where you can adjust the intensity of the airflow. I keep mine on a low setting because I don't love a lot of air blowing on me. You can adjust it from weak to very high. Make sure you have checked this. Assuming it's still an option on LCI models.
Yup and on the Pre-LCI, other than the temp setting, there's also an area in idrive 7 where you set how cold/warm you want the air coming out to be. (Drive/Passenger side can be set separately).

I have seen friends complain about A/C, then checked their idrive 7 system and they have it set to blow hot air even when they have AC turned on and temps set very low.

Not sure if idrive 8 on the LCI is the same way.
Before idrive 7, there used to be a dial on the dash between the vents that you use to adjust if you want warm or cold air out of the vents.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #64
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i

I haven't received my x7 yet but past vehicles if I thought something was wrong with the ac the first thing I did was measure temperature blowing out. Fan can blow all it wants but just circulating warm air

Has anyone even measured their air output temperature??

I am usually happy with air blowing out in low 50's and have seen middle 40s. Even 90 degree weather with 100+ index.

My home mini splits blow around low 50s and my bedroom is constant 65. This is central Fl and my temps are hotter than Orlando usually
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      11-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #65
bellis78757@yahoo.com
Rep

2023 Anemic AC update: The system has been reviewed by a master tech from BMW corporate and their assessment..."Works fine". -I continue to disagree, but have come to the conclusion that whatever BMW did with this new AC isn't working well enough for this Texas guy. If this is the standard AC for the new X7, it will not work for me. -Sadly, the AC is not the only issue. I continue to receive faults and the air suspension has failed a few times. BMW believes I have a bad module, not sure what that means exactly, but we're expecting a replacement module, but it will be 3-4 months before it arrives from Germany. I'm not sure I'll have this X7 in 3-4 months as I'm just not happy with this, and don't have time for Range Rover like issues. If I wanted perpetual service disruptions, I should have just purchased a RR.
Appreciate 2
Bashar368774.00
lcd12326.00
      11-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #66
U235
Rep

Quote:
2023 Anemic AC update: The system has been reviewed by a master tech from BMW corporate and their assessment..."Works fine". -I continue to disagree, but have come to the conclusion that whatever BMW did with this new AC isn't working well enough for this Texas guy. If this is the standard AC for the new X7, it will not work for me. -Sadly, the AC is not the only issue. I continue to receive faults and the air suspension has failed a few times. BMW believes I have a bad module, not sure what that means exactly, but we're expecting a replacement module, but it will be 3-4 months before it arrives from Germany. I'm not sure I'll have this X7 in 3-4 months as I'm just not happy with this, and don't have time for Range Rover like issues. If I wanted perpetual service disruptions, I should have just purchased a RR.
My wife won’t stop complaining about the A/C, she says it’s the only thing she doesn’t like. I’m also in Austin, and the more time I spend with the car, I do believe it’s operating right. As I mentioned earlier, I had a 22 X5 loaner, and found its A/C performance to be similar and also not “great”.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the way the fans work, this car really doesn’t want to produce significant breeze, but it does pump out very cold air. The fans are also very loud, much louder than they should be in my opinion, and this causes my wife to get confused and critical. She hears a lot of fan noise but doesn’t feel this huge wind gust. She gets incredible tunnel vision that something isn’t working, then starts farting with settings and can’t seem to get it resolved in her head.

While she was in rage mode last weekend trying to figure it out, I took a deep breath and asked myself, “Am I hot?” And the answer was no. Even in triple digit Austin heat in August, I was never hot. I never sweat. I asked my wife and she sort of couldn’t understand my question. Her brain is just focused on why it’s loud and not so much air, but the reality is, we were 100% “comfortable”.

In some strange way, it’s ideal to be comfortable without this huge gusty breeze. However, it’s just WAY too loud. Now that it’s not super hot, I’ve set my max fans to Medium so I can enjoy a quieter ride, even in the mid 80s days we’ve had, no problem keeping us comfortable.

As stated, the 22 X5 loaner I had for a few days was similarly very loud and not very breezy. Contrast to our previous Volvos, they put out intense wind and are somehow very quiet. I think all of this is playing tricks in our heads as we’re conditioned to hear loud fans and expect to be blown away. It’s as if BMW designed this to somehow keep the car cool while not blowing away passengers. I just wish they did it more quietly.
Appreciate 1
lcd12326.00