BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum M60i or 40i?

10-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #67
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
If you believe that "handling and twisties and suspension" are not that important, majority if BMW owners go for BMW for those particular points, combined with luxury. If luxury is the ONLY important factor for you, you are probably in the wrong vehicle and already missing a lot. The X7 is not a true luxury-only SUV. It is a 50-50 sport-luxury SUV. This is anyway the BMW language for all of their vehicles -historically. The X7 was designed as an SUV that drives like a car; this is very well known, which is the reason it was not designed to be as big as the GLS or the other American luxury SUV. I would never consider the X7 if the "handling and twisties and suspension" were not as good as they are. I would have driven my Lincoln Navigator or kept my previous Escalade for that matter, or perhaps got a GLS; those are true commuters with less impressive "handling and twisties and suspension" factors that are making the X7 unique. The X7 is the only SUV that drives close to a sedan/car, than a lousy/bouncy SUV.
My point, and perhaps I didn't make it well, is that one should prioritize the X7's luxury, comfort, and safety over the X7's handling capabilities.

Yes, a BMW is always a balance of the two. I'm just saying that one should lean more towards the luxury on this 7 Series SUV as opposed to, say, a 3 Series Sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #68
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I bought a full size flagship SUV and not primarily for “people hauling”. I would want this size vehicle if it were just for me and my wife. I want as much opulence as well as performance and handling in a full size vehicle I can buy for 4 people and their luggage for traveling. A full size luxury like A8L was just too small trunk space and I could never go back. There is only MB, BMW, and RR that makes a full size SUV at this very top tier level. Everything else in the luxury world is a mid size SUV with X5 smaller trunk space. (Cayenne Turbo, Bentaga, etc..)

If I wanted a people hauler I could have saved a lot of money and bought a Suburban or Escalade that has much roomier passenger seating and called it a day.
Definitely.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #69
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
If the car is for me I always get bigger engine and wife gets the smaller one. It has worked for us with our needs. And the cost deferential is negligible(<10%). Now if you are talking abt Alpina then it's a significant up charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #70
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
I drove both a M60 and 40i tonight, and I am trying to decide between the two. I ordered a M60 that was finally released to me today (after 38 days in QC) and the Stop Sale. I've already asked for another allocation and mostly decided on ordering a new one (as my car appears to have been worked on while in QC).

I drove "my" M60, then asked to drive the Demo 40i for fun. Quite honestly, I like the 40i more for the following reasons:

1. The 40i has much smoother power delivery. In stop and go traffic, the V8 isn't nearly as smooth off the line nor as linear in its power delivery.
2. The fake exhaust sounds seem too much to me and more than in the 2022 M50. In comfort mode, it seemed too much for day to day driving and was a bit annoyed by it. In sport mode, I thought the fake exhaust overruns were too much, and the "thump" it puts through the subwoofer when it shifts is just odd. First time I heard it I thought something fell over in the back.
3. The M60 feels heavy and not as dialed in as the M50 did to me. For 2023 the 40i suspension has been refined an is much less floaty than in 2022.

In summary, I feel like the LCI for 40i took several steps forward (smoother power and much more refined suspension tuning) and the M60 a few steps back (feels heavy and the engine isn't as linear). While it wasn't something I was thinking about, I may reorder a 40i instead.
I drove an M60 on the short handling course for an extended period at the PDC, when picking up my wife's 40i. We only had two cars in our group, so we got lots of play time. I thought the M60 was absolutely dialed and very impressive. The 40i is plenty powerful and very well balanced, but the M60 was very fast and handled incredibly well. If you want want a great family hauler that is luxurious and well balanced, get the 40. If you want something that makes you smile during acceleration or in the turns, go M60. My daily is an X5M, which I really enjoy. The M60 is not quite an X5M, but it's closer to the X5M than it is a 40 from an experience perspective. The M60 is not quite as fast as the X5M, but has a great ride and body control for such a big vehicle.
Appreciate 1
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
      10-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #71
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

I went with the 40i this time around. I have owned an x5 in both 50i and m50i and in a big city like Houston, it is mostly no advantage to have the v8. I ended up at the same red lights as the other cars.

The x7 with full leather is very luxurious and that was what I was wanting more than anything. Also my wife has an m550i if I get the itch.
Appreciate 2
toddwalton1304.50
alic9613.50
      10-18-2022, 09:56 PM   #72
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Lol I couldn't agree with you more about lights and Houston! However, when I do order the X7 sometime next April/May 2023. I am going with the X7 M60i since it is going to be a first time luxury vehicle purchase. Also, after driving the M50i at Momentum BMW earlier this year. My choice was solidified.

I don't have a M550i, but if I had a car of that caliber maybe my decision would be different.

I will look out for you around the Upper Kirby/River Oaks area. Also shout out to lcd123 I ran into the member when I went into Midtown BMW to test drive the 2023 40i LCI. It is such a spectacular vehicle inside and out! Lastly, it had no problems handling itself on the highway or city!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      10-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #73
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphcbpa View Post
I went with the 40i this time around. I have owned an x5 in both 50i and m50i and in a big city like Houston, it is mostly no advantage to have the v8. I ended up at the same red lights as the other cars.

The x7 with full leather is very luxurious and that was what I was wanting more than anything. Also my wife has an m550i if I get the itch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanBoi View Post
Lol I couldn't agree with you more about lights and Houston! However, when I do order the X7 sometime next April/May 2023. I am going with the X7 M60i since it is going to be a first time luxury vehicle purchase. Also, after driving the M50i at Momentum BMW earlier this year. My choice was solidified.

I don't have a M550i, but if I had a car of that caliber maybe my decision would be different.

I will look out for you around the Upper Kirby/River Oaks area. Also shout out to lcd123 I ran into the member when I went into Midtown BMW to test drive the 2023 40i LCI. It is such a spectacular vehicle inside and out! Lastly, it had no problems handling itself on the highway or city!
Random question, you think 23" wheels can handle Houston?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #74
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

Quote:
If you do, I would go with the BMW tire and rim warranty. When I turned in my lemon I did the 5 year plan for $1250…
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #75
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroSux View Post
Quote:
If you do, I would go with the BMW tire and rim warranty. When I turned in my lemon I did the 5 year plan for $1250…
Lemon?
      10-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #76
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Lemon?
Thanks for the info on the warranty plan/price. I agree, reading through various posts I will not be leaving the dealership without tire/rim protection! Now I have an idea of how much it cost. Never had a price to go off of before.

Also, do you know or anyone else know if you powder coat rims does it void the warranty?

Lastly, I have to ask about this lemon! What happened?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #77
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the warranty plan/price. I agree, reading through various posts I will not be leaving the dealership without tire/rim protection! Now I have an idea of how much it cost. Never had a price to go off of before.
That isn’t a typical price, and it isn’t clear whether that’s a BMW protection plan or third party.

For 5 years for an X7 with big wheels you’re probably looking at 3x to 4x that cost for the BMW plan.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #78
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Quote:
That isn't a typical price, and it isn't clear whether that's a BMW protection plan or third party.

For 5 years for an X7 with big wheels you're probably looking at 3x to 4x that cost for the BMW plan.
Thank you for the follow-up. I thought that price would be too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #79
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
My point, and perhaps I didn't make it well, is that one should prioritize the X7's luxury, comfort, and safety over the X7's handling capabilities.

Yes, a BMW is always a balance of the two. I'm just saying that one should lean more towards the luxury on this 7 Series SUV as opposed to, say, a 3 Series Sedan.
You have said this before, but if you want to lean on Luxury BMW isnt the right brand. I will say BMW swayed more toward luxury over the past decade or so with the 7 now X7 but its DNA is still sporty luxury, so the drive should mean something. If it didnt I would have just bought MBs all those years.

No one expects it to be a 3, but it shouldn't drive like a boat or you could just buy one of the many other ones that are better values and just as luxurious if not more so. Without the sport part its just another SUV. So yes handling and oerformance matters.
alic9613.50
      10-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #80
vegam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
You have said this before, but if you want to lean on Luxury BMW isnt the right brand. I will say BMW swayed more toward luxury over the past decade or so with the 7 now X7 but its DNA is still sporty luxury, so the drive should mean something. If it didnt I would have just bought MBs all those years.

No one expects it to be a 3, but it shouldn't drive like a boat or you could just buy one of the many other ones that are better values and just as luxurious if not more so. Without the sport part its just another SUV. So yes handling and oerformance matters.
totally. if you want luxury alone, range rover is a pretty good alternative
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #81
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Let me state this differently: I'm not interested in other brands, never will be. As one who has been an BMW enthusiast for 30+ years, the X7 is a refreshing departure from the other 12 I've owned because with this car the emphasis is on utility/luxury instead of sport/performance.

Amongst all BMW's, the X7 is quite luxurious and if one embraces that strength of the vehicle it can be a very pleasurable, laid back, and low-pressure experience. It's the one BMW where we don't need the M-like engine, we don't need tuning, we don't have to feel like winning at every traffic light, where we can drive in the middle lane of the highway. X7 allows one to slow down, appreciate what we have in life, enjoy the space and the leather and the cruise control instead of focusing on getting there as quickly and aggressively as possible.
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #82
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Let me state this differently: I'm not interested in other brands, never will be. As one who has been an BMW enthusiast for 30+ years, the X7 is a refreshing departure from the other 12 I've owned because with this car the emphasis is on utility/luxury instead of sport/performance.

Amongst all BMW's, the X7 is quite luxurious and if one embraces that strength of the vehicle it can be a very pleasurable, laid back, and low-pressure experience. It's the one BMW where we don't need the M-like engine, we don't need tuning, we don't have to feel like winning at every traffic light, where we can drive in the middle lane of the highway. X7 allows one to slow down, appreciate what we have in life, enjoy the space and the leather and the cruise control instead of focusing on getting there as quickly and aggressively as possible.
Agree to disagree, if you bought the X7 for just a middle-lane luxury cruiser there are plenty of others that do that better.
      10-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #83
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Agree to disagree, if you bought the X7 for just a middle-lane luxury cruiser there are plenty of others that do that better.
Who does it better for similar price? The GLS IMO is quite inferior in the luxury department - even the leather used is grainy in comparison to the X7's supple merino... the Q7 is closer in luxury but the X7 still beats it by quite a wide margin. The Range equally equipped is quite a bit more expensive. The Americans have subpar material quality.

For me the fact that the X7 also drives the best in its class is the cherry on top - but my main reason for me going with the X7 was luxury first.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #84
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Who does it better for similar price? The GLS IMO is quite inferior in the luxury department - even the leather used is grainy in comparison to the X7's supple merino... the Q7 is closer in luxury but the X7 still beats it by quite a wide margin. The Range equally equipped is quite a bit more expensive. The Americans have subpar material quality.

For me the fact that the X7 also drives the best in its class is the cherry on top - but my main reason for me going with the X7 was luxury first.
Sit in a Wagoneer or the Navigator, the materials are definitely not subpar, in fact I would argue in certain areas better than the X7. The Range is better as well and more luxurious just more expensive.

They are all VERY good luxury cruisers, the seats in the Navigator are just amazing. But not one of them drives the way our M50 drives and that is why I bought that instead. If it wasn't for the drive (handles like a car, drives smaller than it is, amazing engine) I may have just bought the Wagoneer.
      10-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #85
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Sit in a Wagoneer or the Navigator, the materials are definitely not subpar, in fact I would argue in certain areas better than the X7. The Range is better as well and more luxurious just more expensive.

They are all VERY good luxury cruisers, the seats in the Navigator are just amazing. But not one of them drives the way our M50 drives and that is why I bought that instead. If it wasn't for the drive (handles like a car, drives smaller than it is, amazing engine) I may have just bought the Wagoneer.
I can speak to the Navigator vs X7 since I have both.

The Navigator seats are superior, but the leather is true TRASH. The look of the dashboard in the Navigator is also good, but the material of the dashboard itself and the metallic-finished strips is trash. The X7 is better quality materials, but it is NOT better in luxury (they are equal and both are just fine in luxury terms). Neither the X7 nor the Navigator should be what you should get if the goal is a true luxury SUV, which is why I think what makes the X7 unique is the 50i or 60i variant since it is a sport SUV with some acceptable level of luxury.

The Range Rover as well as a loaded Escalade (new gen) with magnetic ride are closer to a true luxury SUV than all other options. The Maybach variant of the GLS is a true luxury SUV too. To emphasize that BMW never aimed to make a luxury SUV as much as they cared about a SPORTY SUV is that their Maybach GLS sister is the Alpina X7 which is a sporty SUV. X7 was never designed with luxury in mind, but rather as a sport SUV with comfort ride also being in mind, which is why it drives like a sedan sometimes.

If you really want a luxury SUV, you are probably missing a lot with the X7. That is the same exact reason I question the 40i since you are compromising luxury already since it is not a luxury SUV anyway and then you also compromise the main design goal of the X7 like any other BMW, which is being a sporty vehicle. The 50i 60i (and arguably the Alpina) are truly the peak of what you can get out of the X7, in that case, a true sporty SUV that drives like a sedan to some level.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #86
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sit in a Wagoneer or the Navigator, the materials are definitely not subpar, in fact I would argue better then the X7. The Range is better as well and more luxurious just more expensive.

A lot of it is subjective of course - but I have sat in and driven a loaded Navigator as well as an Escalade and they just don't do it for me. Once you get past the look of the interiors (which admittedly are gorgeous), the actual materials themselves feel quite a bit cheaper to the touch compared to our X7s. More spacious and well designed? yes, but that doesn't translate into quality of materials.

IMO the X7 within its price class is the most luxurious SUV you can buy until you start getting up in price and go with a Range or a Bentley.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #87
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I can speak to the Navigator vs X7 since I have both.

The Navigator seats are superior, but the leather is true TRASH. The look of the dashboard in the Navigator is also good, but the material of the dashboard itself and the metallic-finished strips is trash. The X7 is better quality materials, but it is NOT better in luxury (they are equal and both are just fine in luxury terms). Neither the X7 nor the Navigator should be what you should get if the goal is a true luxury SUV, which is why I think what makes the X7 unique is the 50i or 60i variant since it is a sport SUV with some acceptable level of luxury.

The Range Rover as well as a loaded Escalade (new gen) with magnetic ride are closer to a true luxury SUV than all other options. The Maybach variant of the GLS is a true luxury SUV too. To emphasize that BMW never aimed to make a luxury SUV as much as they cared about a SPORTY SUV is that their Maybach GLS sister is the Alpina X7 which is a sporty SUV. X7 was never designed with luxury in mind, but rather as a sport SUV with comfort ride also being in mind, which is why it drives like a sedan sometimes.

If you really want a luxury SUV, you are probably missing a lot with the X7. That is the same exact reason I question the 40i since you are compromising luxury already since it is not a luxury SUV anyway and then you also compromise the main design goal of the X7 like any other BMW, which is being a sporty vehicle. The 50i 60i (and arguably the Alpina) are truly the peak of what you can get out of the X7, in that case, a true sporty SUV that drives like a sedan to some level.
Well again, the Range Rover similarly equipped is quite a bit more expensive. And the Escalade, while it rode nicely, I had the same impressions about its quality of materials that you have with the Navigator. So I don't understand what, for the price, is more luxurious than the X7.

I totally understand getting an X7 for its sporty nature in the large 3 row SUV segment and I totally understand opting for the m50/60i over the 40i. But for whatever reason you don't seem to understand why someone would consider it for its luxury (which is my primary reason). I don't care how well the m50i/60i accelerates and handles, it will be destroyed by my sports sedan. So for that reason, I view large 3 row SUVs from a luxury lens. A large 3 row that also handles well, for my purposes, is a bonus, not the primary draw of it.

Appreciate 2
      10-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #88
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well again, the Range Rover similarly equipped is quite a bit more expensive. And the Escalade, while it rode nicely, I had the same impressions about its quality of materials that you have with the Navigator. So I don't understand what, for the price, is more luxurious than the X7.

I totally understand getting an X7 for its sporty nature in the large 3 row SUV segment and I totally understand opting for the m50/60i over the 40i. But for whatever reason you don't seem to understand why someone would consider it for its luxury (which is my primary reason). I don't care how well the m50i/60i accelerates and handles, it will be destroyed by my sports sedan. So for that reason, I view large 3 row SUVs from a luxury lens. A large 3 row that also handles well, for my purposes, is a bonus, not the primary draw of it.
If budget is limited, then yes, I will not argue that the most luxury SUV you can get is the 40i at that price point. But overall, if we want to move from the $75-99sK range all the way to $100-150K range, skipping the 50i and 60i as the better option compared to 40i, the Range Rover (and maybe the Escalade) will get you much more luxury elements than the X7. To me, luxury is not a priority, but rather ride comfort and sportiness is what I wanted from the X7 and exactly what I found in the 50i.
Appreciate 0