BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Start/stop is going to make me sell this 2024

09-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #45
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdes View Post
Coming from an early model 21 X5 m50i (July 2020) to a 23 X7 m60i I can attest that the hybridization absolutely cut off the SUV’s charm and soul:
Dampened/ unexciting exhaust sound and cold starts, no controllable auto start/ stop, and my personal biggest gripe is the hybridization of the best transmission in the business (alongside the PDK), the BMW’s ZF 8 speed. While upshifts are still quick, you cannot downshift and engine break anymore. The hybrid assisted transmission makes it feel as if it were to go into some sort of neural mode when manually downshifting, which is really dissatisfying for enthusiasts…
MPG is not really improved either, nor are there any true owner’s benefits as it is a mild and not plug in hybrid ( i.e. X5 45e).
All this might be perhaps justifyable on the X7 40i but certainly not on the top tier V8.
Compared to the pre-LCI, the number of areas in which the LCI regressed taking away the luxury/ sport experience astonishing.
Also, has anyone noticed as your going dowhill, when it starts battery regen (you can see power meter drop below zero into battery) that the car every so slightly pulsates while in regen? Not a big deal but I can feel it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #46
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

I am kinda happy i don't have this issue, or do i even have start/stop functionality in my XB7. I do have in our errand car (X1) but there is a button that can toggle it off which i like very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #47
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Totally understand pre LCI owners lamenting the stop/start and mild hybrid tech, but BMW isn't voluntarily doing this. The EU and USA governments are putting tighter and tighter restrictions on the car manufacturers. If you own an LCI M60 you are one of a select few on the roads driving a new vehicle with a V8 engine. Especially a 500hp plus V8 engine. Pick your foot of the break once you come to a stop, or drive in Sport mode around town when you're hitting a lot of lights. Then stomp the pedal down when the light turns green and you'll appreciate that BMW has figured out a way around the regulations.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #48
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i ordered

No, this is nonsense. Just pure nonsense. Removing the ASS button has nothing to do with the governments and tighter restrictions. If it had anything to do with the regulations, then they would erase the sport mode completely (no ASS there). Moreover, it is not the law to lock out coding. We would be perfectly happy if it would be possible to remove the annoying ASS with Bimmercode. BMW locked it because they wanted to, not because they had to. I am also sure that disabling the sport individual trick has nothing to do with the regulations.

Maybe it is just pure calculation? Often cycled engine won't last that long, so the engine will brake down sooner? A broken car after warranty is pure profit for BMW.

BMW really didn't have to be such dicks in this regard. And ya know... X5M and X6M has still got the ASS button. The law does not apply to M-cars? There is also no ASS problem in G63 and Porsche Cayenne S.

Last edited by Wiedzmin; 09-05-2023 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
MystroX56289.50
alic9613.50
Caveno157.00
      09-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #49
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Hell people stop whining about it. You should have researched it enough and test drove it. If you didn't like the feature then don't buy the f'ing thing. Plain and simple.

More people gripe on here than any other forums I've been on.
Appreciate 4
      09-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #50
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Hell people stop whining about it. You should have researched it enough and test drove it. If you didn't like the feature then don't buy the f'ing thing. Plain and simple.

Truth hurts.
And there are easy ways to turn ASS off. I’ll prove that when I get mine and let you guys know. I do it all the time in my X5. Not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Truth hurts.
And there are easy ways to turn ASS off. I’ll prove that when I get mine and let you guys know. I do it all the time in my X5. Not a big deal.
What works on your X5 will not necessarily work on the X7. Going to a Sport mode (not Individual with comfort settings) or using S are probably the only things that carry over.
      09-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #52
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Truth hurts.
I guess I have zero issues with it. It's THE smoothest one I've ever owned and it also doesn't get warm inside. And yeah, recently it's been over 100 with heat index of 115 and zero issues. It's smart enough where if the AC is on high and cabin isn't cooled then it doesn't even shut off to begin with. And when it does, it restarts on its own if the cabin temp starts to get warm. But even if it didn't, I ever so slightly let off the brake and poof, it restarts! Wow, simple, right?

Sure, I have a 2022 and have programmed the Sport Individual where it drives in Comfort but looks like Sport and it never shuts off but I get it though, 2023+ apparently don't have that ability but regardless people should know what they were getting in to. I knew it about the 2022 and the fact it didn't have the ASS button. I drove it and was happy with it.
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      09-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #53
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What works on your X5 will not necessarily work on the X7. Going to a Sport mode (not Individual with comfort settings) or using S are probably the only things that carry over.
Yeah I’ll find the workarounds. The best one is ordering my X7 with a delivery in Sep/Oct when the weather is cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:24 PM   #54
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedzmin View Post
No, this is nonsense. Just pure nonsense. Removing the ASS button has nothing to do with the governments and tighter restrictions. If it had anything to do with the regulations, then they would erase the sport mode completely (no ASS there). Moreover, it is not the law to lock out coding. We would be perfectly happy if it would be possible to remove the annoying ASS with Bimmercode. BMW locked it because they wanted to, not because they had to. I am also sure that disabling the sport individual trick has nothing to do with the regulations.

Maybe it is just pure calculation? Often cycled engine won't last that long, so the engine will brake down sooner? A broken car after warranty is pure profit for BMW.

BMW really didn't have to be such dicks in this regard. And ya know... X5M and X6M has still got the ASS button. The law does not apply to M-cars? There is also no ASS problem in G63 and Porsche Cayenne S.
From what I see the X5M and X6M also cannot turn off ASS when in comfort mode. And the G63 and Cayenne do indeed have ASS (and yes, I know it can be turned off). Many manufacturers have been using ASS to raise mileage and lower emissions for years. BMW's is super smooth, but if you can't stand it, drive in sport mode. Problem solved. As for the engine breaking down sooner due to too many warm starts, keep sucking on your exhause pipe.
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      09-05-2023, 04:45 PM   #55
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess I have zero issues with it. It's THE smoothest one I've ever owned and it also doesn't get warm inside. And yeah, recently it's been over 100 with heat index of 115 and zero issues. It's smart enough where if the AC is on high and cabin isn't cooled then it doesn't even shut off to begin with. And when it does, it restarts on its own if the cabin temp starts to get warm. But even if it didn't, I ever so slightly let off the brake and poof, it restarts! Wow, simple, right?

Sure, I have a 2022 and have programmed the Sport Individual where it drives in Comfort but looks like Sport and it never shuts off but I get it though, 2023+ apparently don't have that ability but regardless people should know what they were getting in to. I knew it about the 2022 and the fact it didn't have the ASS button. I drove it and was happy with it.
There are other issues that you may not be aware of and also the start/stop works completely differently than pre-lci. I've owned a 2019 and a 2021 I know the difference.

The 23 and 24 now shut off as your braking before you even come to a stop. You drift in behind people at lights. Thats not too bad, but what really sucks is when your slowing to make a turn and it shuts off, but you have no plans to stop. Then
it starts back up but your already pushing on the accelerator and you get a sudden blast of acceleration. It's dumb. And to the guy above who said you should test drive before, we did, but these are the things you don't notice right away.
Appreciate 3
alic9613.50
max h38.50
      09-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #56
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Haha. There is always a honeymoon period, just like a spouse or significant other. I've put 5500 miles on this 24 in two months. We're pretty close. And, It's an incredible car, but small things are starting to bug me. Don't get me started on the frigging huge black line between the low and high beems.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      09-06-2023, 12:24 AM   #57
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
From what I see the X5M and X6M also cannot turn off ASS when in comfort mode. And the G63 and Cayenne do indeed have ASS (and yes, I know it can be turned off). Many manufacturers have been using ASS to raise mileage and lower emissions for years. BMW's is super smooth, but if you can't stand it, drive in sport mode. Problem solved. As for the engine breaking down sooner due to too many warm starts, keep sucking on your exhause pipe.
https://ownersmanuals2.com/d/95267 - I see options to disable the ASS in a 2024 X5M.

Quote:
You may already know that most engine wear occurs at start-up, at the moment when the moving parts need to start moving while the oil is not yet pumping. Up to 75% of wear, over the lifetime of an engine, is attributable to this start-up phase. Here we are talking about so-called boundary lubrication. The crankshaft and camshaft(s) are normally kept ‘floating’ by the accumulated lubrication film when the shafts are running, but when the engine is off, they ‘sink’ down and rest on the bearings. The moment the engine is started, there is metal-to-metal contact. This is obviously only brief, usually not even half a revolution of the axle before a lubricating film is built up, but it does contribute to wear. Research has shown that a car equipped with a Start-Stop system starts its engine as much as 3 times more often than a car without such a system.
Quote:

No, we will keep whining about it so that the others who are considering buying "the f'ing thing" see it right on the first glance. The car is awesome, but this very "feature" is annoying. You are right, every customer should know that BMW knows better that they want to be oh so eco-friendly and make them use ASS in a V8 twin turbo full size SUV. They will have a chance to go to MB and get a GLS if it bothers them. BMW could fix it with a tiny software update, but they won't.

And you should not mention research, many have bought a 2023 while knowing that they will be able to code it with bimmercode and it was fine. At the time of their decision to buy they didn't know that BMW will lock out coding with a future OTA update.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      09-06-2023, 06:08 AM   #58
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
There are other issues that you may not be aware of and also the start/stop works completely differently than pre-lci. I've owned a 2019 and a 2021 I know the difference.

The 23 and 24 now shut off as your braking before you even come to a stop. You drift in behind people at lights. Thats not too bad, but what really sucks is when your slowing to make a turn and it shuts off, but you have no plans to stop. Then
it starts back up but your already pushing on the accelerator and you get a sudden blast of acceleration. It's dumb. And to the guy above who said you should test drive before, we did, but these are the things you don't notice right away.
Actually my 2022 has Mild Hybrid and also shuts off while coasting, which was added for that MY. But, it only shuts off when coasting while not on the brake so as soon as I start pressing on the brake, it restarts. It even mentions that in the manual because it also uses the engine for deceleration.

Not sure what to say about not noticing it all, I guess it's different for everyone but if I'm going to pay that much for a car then yes I'm going to do everything to fully understand all the features. I'll say I also had a fantastic salesman and he walked me through every single feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #59
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Truth hurts.
How? Besides switching to manual or to sport drivetrain?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #60
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedzmin View Post
How? Besides switching to manual or to sport drivetrain?
I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and how ASS gets some folks all up in arms. I have a X5 40 i and X7 60i. I hardly notice the start stop, neither car does hiccup or anything, granted i am not searing my tires after light turns green. I am generally in comfort mode. If it bothers so much stay in sport mode. That is one button click after starting the car, next to the start button. Is it really that big a deal?
Appreciate 4
blutob2283.00
LeKayz85.50
alic9613.50
      09-06-2023, 01:49 PM   #61
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I don't notice it much
it is pretty smooth now, much better than before
there are ways to get around it
I'll get bimmercode

These are basically just different ways of saying the obvious: ASS should not have been implemented or there should be a permanent way to turn it off. Probably euro regulations require that there be no permanent way.
Appreciate 2
blutob2283.00
alic9613.50
      09-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #62
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Euro regulations? It's made and sold in America. That's ok, I'm not buying another one if it doesn't change or is not modifiable.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #63
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
ASS can be turned off in my 22 Z4.
It really doesn’t bother me in the X5. Hardly noticeable unless it’s hot outside in which case sport mode or S auto or not doing brake hold and letting off the brake for a second or blasting the AC all are easy workarounds!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:07 PM   #64
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
I don't notice it much
it is pretty smooth now, much better than before
there are ways to get around it
I'll get bimmercode

Bimmercode, or any coding method, can't be used to turn it off unfortunately.
MystroX56289.50
      09-06-2023, 02:27 PM   #65
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

There are two interesting articles in the WSJ online edition today. One columnist writes about how adapting to a full EV is having to learn to drive all over again. The second article is about car rental companies that are surreptitiously populating their fleets with hybrids and EVs, and not telling customers at the pickup counters what will be awaiting them in the parking garage (half charged batteries in some cases). Similarly BMW isn't heralding mild hybrid technology, auto start/stop and the fuel savings both will be providing buyers. Quite the contrary -- companies seem to want to slip customers and buyers surprises, expecting everyone has enough experience with customer service hotlines that they already know complaining is futile.
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      09-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #66
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Bimmercode, or any coding method, can't be used to turn it off unfortunately.
It’s amazing but this point has been brought up so many times yet so many still can’t believe they are actually stuck with no options disabling Auto Start Stop.
Appreciate 3
alic9613.50
Caveno157.00