BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum XM (Almost Production) Spotted at an Airport!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #67
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
2574
Rep
3,041
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
dravit-ish gray
Cape York Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Is it just me or is this vehicle enormous?
LWB iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Wonder where these airport pics were taken? South Africa as it's a right hand drive model?
ATL or CLT
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #68
M3JetPilot
Private First Class
M3JetPilot's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Winter Garden, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
One of the most grotesque "BMWs" ever created…if we can even call it a BMW beyond the badge. This looks like it was created by people who hate what BMW has been since the 80's. Design wise it's yet another departure from the classic and refined designs of the past. What I'd really like to know is what the G80 crowd and those who like the bigger grille think of this. Is this where you want BMW to go? Is this the new design territory you want BMW to explore? Is it bold and new and something that will grow on people, or has this gone too far? Curious to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #69
vt100
Second Lieutenant
vt100's Avatar
87
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SFO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Agree, it looks like a Toyota from the side.
Please... no need to offend Yotas.. Rav4 looks much prettier than this thing
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #70
Ibiza
Colonel
Ibiza's Avatar
United_States
2742
Rep
2,402
Posts

Drives: 21 F95 ZCP/22 G83 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Wonder where these airport pics were taken? South Africa as it's a right hand drive model?
ATL or CLT
I searched Flightaware and no recent flights between GSP and MUC. The pictures appear to be from a southern airport, 2 hr 40 min to ATL or 1 hr 30 to CLT. I feel it's ATL as I have seen BMW cars being flown on Delta before out of ATL and DAL has resumed ATL-MUC flight service.
__________________
2021 F95 ZCP PCD- 2022 G83 PCD
Retired:2018 F85 PCD,2018 F83 ZCP- ED/PCD, 2015 X5 50i PCD, 2015 435 vert ED, 2011 X3 PCD, 2011 335is vert ED/PCD, 2007 X3is PCD, 2007 335i vert PCD, 2004 328i vert PCD
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #71
OSee
Captain
884
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: M2 Sold
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
One of the most grotesque "BMWs" ever created…if we can even call it a BMW beyond the badge. This looks like it was created by people who hate what BMW has been since the 80's. Design wise it's yet another departure from the classic and refined designs of the past. What I'd really like to know is what the G80 crowd and those who like the bigger grille think of this. Is this where you want BMW to go? Is this the new design territory you want BMW to explore? Is it bold and new and something that will grow on people, or has this gone too far? Curious to hear your thoughts.
G80 is an amazing machine and this thing is garbage. Both can be true. The G80 is the #1 selling //M of all time. And it has nothing to do with the total sales price. That's actually individual units delivered. Even with the pandemic muddying up production. It's a SMASHING success and immediately makes the F80 look dated.

Also, the moment you start mentioning 80s blah blah blah your opinion becomes immediately suspect. Bro, the e30 was cool. We get it. The Countach was cool too. But it's time to take the posters down from your wall and move on. We don't want to hear about the 5 feet of snow you had to walk through to get to school.....or how Dunkin used to be called Dunkin Donuts and their donuts were a lot bigger.

We all either lived through it or have access to the internet. Criticize this direction all you want but the majority of us don't want another e30. That's going backwards.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:15 PM   #72
Ibiza
Colonel
Ibiza's Avatar
United_States
2742
Rep
2,402
Posts

Drives: 21 F95 ZCP/22 G83 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Wonder where these airport pics were taken? South Africa as it's a right hand drive model?
The car was recently in Austria for journalist first drives. Could be anywhere though.
It's a right hand drive model, I believe that the Austria event had left hand models. Not sure if you remember the M8 gran coupé leaking back in 2019 in South Africa. SA is a right hand market.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...?#38;t=1617598
__________________
2021 F95 ZCP PCD- 2022 G83 PCD
Retired:2018 F85 PCD,2018 F83 ZCP- ED/PCD, 2015 X5 50i PCD, 2015 435 vert ED, 2011 X3 PCD, 2011 335is vert ED/PCD, 2007 X3is PCD, 2007 335i vert PCD, 2004 328i vert PCD
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:58 PM   #73
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
2574
Rep
3,041
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Wonder where these airport pics were taken? South Africa as it's a right hand drive model?
ATL or CLT
I searched Flightaware and no recent flights between GSP and MUC. The pictures appear to be from a southern airport, 2 hr 40 min to ATL or 1 hr 30 to CLT. I feel it's ATL as I have seen BMW cars being flown on Delta before out of ATL and DAL has resumed ATL-MUC flight service.
OO-ACE

LGG-GSP-LGG-ATL-LGG

Doesn't look like the GSP ramp (limited space for 744 RON) so…
Appreciate 1
Ibiza2741.50
      05-19-2022, 12:20 AM   #74
PNWM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
267
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2021 Alpina XB7
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
One of the most grotesque "BMWs" ever created…if we can even call it a BMW beyond the badge. This looks like it was created by people who hate what BMW has been since the 80's. Design wise it's yet another departure from the classic and refined designs of the past. What I'd really like to know is what the G80 crowd and those who like the bigger grille think of this. Is this where you want BMW to go? Is this the new design territory you want BMW to explore? Is it bold and new and something that will grow on people, or has this gone too far? Curious to hear your thoughts.
It’ll all be ok. Seriously though, I’ll be trading in my XB7 as soon as I can for the XM.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
jmack123707.00
      05-19-2022, 04:24 AM   #75
simnew
First Lieutenant
87
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Kind looks like it wants to be a Range Rover.
Except that the Range Rover is still an elegant minimalist shape and BMW seem to be going in the opposite direction.
Their design ethos is, more than ever, dictated by markets who have very questionable taste. Trouble is, everyone is doing it. The altar of making money is more important than anything cultural these days sadly.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #76
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2822
Rep
4,047
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Where the yoke?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #77
M3JetPilot
Private First Class
M3JetPilot's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Winter Garden, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
One of the most grotesque "BMWs" ever created…if we can even call it a BMW beyond the badge. This looks like it was created by people who hate what BMW has been since the 80's. Design wise it's yet another departure from the classic and refined designs of the past. What I'd really like to know is what the G80 crowd and those who like the bigger grille think of this. Is this where you want BMW to go? Is this the new design territory you want BMW to explore? Is it bold and new and something that will grow on people, or has this gone too far? Curious to hear your thoughts.
G80 is an amazing machine and this thing is garbage. Both can be true. The G80 is the #1 selling //M of all time. And it has nothing to do with the total sales price. That's actually individual units delivered. Even with the pandemic muddying up production. It's a SMASHING success and immediately makes the F80 look dated.

Also, the moment you start mentioning 80s blah blah blah your opinion becomes immediately suspect. Bro, the e30 was cool. We get it. The Countach was cool too. But it's time to take the posters down from your wall and move on. We don't want to hear about the 5 feet of snow you had to walk through to get to school.....or how Dunkin used to be called Dunkin Donuts and their donuts were a lot bigger.

We all either lived through it or have access to the internet. Criticize this direction all you want but the majority of us don't want another e30. That's going backwards.
I don't want to go back to the 80's, I'm just saying the design language that carried through to the F80 and to several BMWs being made today, was broken with the G80. Which is fine, and I don't disagree that the G80 is an amazing car in terms of performance, but the design language that resulted in this piece of garbage, as you correctly term it, came through the G80. I was just wondering how the G80 fan would respond to this continued direction. You obviously don't like the XM, which is interesting since it is the same design language for the G80.

Another thing to consider is this has nothing to do with age or wanting to go back to the past. It's about what is BMW design and what isn't. This new design isn't BMW. It isn't about wanting another e30, it's about wanting BMW to be true to themselves.

Also, sales have nothing to do with the success of an iconic car and design. By that measure most any car on the road is a smashing success, but I doubt that's the type of success any of us want for an M car. We want a car that people aspire to, that will still inspire and be admired 30 years from now. That's true success. Instead of taking the posters off our walls we should learn from them and build on those designs, not throw them away like todays BMW design team has done.

I'm all for new and positive change to move on to. As a BMW fan for decades, I just don't want to move to a car that looks like a rhino with a pig's nose.
Appreciate 2
icebiker355.00
      05-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #78
kyriian
Lieutenant
kyriian's Avatar
396
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
What's with the wheel arches not being circular?
I would genuinely like to meet the designers and chat about how and why they've come up with this. I know the design is subjective but I simply can't get my head round why this is thought to look good and I would like to understand the thinking behind it
Designed by Ruo-Xiang Huang according to wikipedia, quick google shows some of his design work is... interesting

Approved under direction of Domagoj Dukec, some on this forum likes to call him Karen Dukec
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-domagoj-dukec
__________________
Revolution of our Times
Current: 06 BMW Z4MR, 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 Scion tC
Past: 11 C63, 15 Golf TSI, 11 370Z, 07 MX5, 02 Civic SiR, 96 Civic DX Coupe, 03 Miata, 03 Cooper S, 88 RX7 GXL
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #79
PNWM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
267
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2021 Alpina XB7
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
I don't want to go back to the 80's, I'm just saying the design language that carried through to the F80 and to several BMWs being made today, was broken with the G80. Which is fine, and I don't disagree that the G80 is an amazing car in terms of performance, but the design language that resulted in this piece of garbage, as you correctly term it, came through the G80. I was just wondering how the G80 fan would respond to this continued direction. You obviously don't like the XM, which is interesting since it is the same design language for the G80.

Another thing to consider is this has nothing to do with age or wanting to go back to the past. It's about what is BMW design and what isn't. This new design isn't BMW. It isn't about wanting another e30, it's about wanting BMW to be true to themselves.

Also, sales have nothing to do with the success of an iconic car and design. By that measure most any car on the road is a smashing success, but I doubt that's the type of success any of us want for an M car. We want a car that people aspire to, that will still inspire and be admired 30 years from now. That's true success. Instead of taking the posters off our walls we should learn from them and build on those designs, not throw them away like todays BMW design team has done.

I'm all for new and positive change to move on to. As a BMW fan for decades. I just don't want to move to a car that looks like a rhino with a pig's nose.
"It's about what is BMW design and what isn't." - The thing is, BMW is the one who makes this call.

And some customers will agree, and others will disagree. I say bring it on. I've loved all my other BMWs but most look dated now when you look at what else is out there. The new design direction is spot on for the times and where we're heading.
Appreciate 1
jmack123707.00
      05-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #80
Quadruple VANOS
Second Lieutenant
191
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

Putting aside styling for a comment on functionality… The rear cargo area lift over height is stupid high. It's literally at the same level as the top of the tires! Worse, the rear bumper area people are going to be lifting cargo over is glossy-black plastic! That area is going to get nicked, scratched and look like crap a few months into ownership.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #81
kyriian
Lieutenant
kyriian's Avatar
396
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Putting aside styling for a comment on functionality… The rear cargo area lift over height is stupid high. It's literally at the same level as the top of the tires! Worse, the rear bumper area people are going to be lifting cargo over is glossy-black plastic! That area is going to get nicked, scratched and look like crap a few months into ownership.
To be honest, the people who are buying these likely won’t ever need to lift anything into the trunk other than maybe some shopping bags from pick-your-high-street-European-luxury-brand

And they use valet for that exact reason
__________________
Revolution of our Times
Current: 06 BMW Z4MR, 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 Scion tC
Past: 11 C63, 15 Golf TSI, 11 370Z, 07 MX5, 02 Civic SiR, 96 Civic DX Coupe, 03 Miata, 03 Cooper S, 88 RX7 GXL
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #82
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
yousefnjr's Avatar
3265
Rep
2,696
Posts

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Designed by Ruo-Xiang Huang according to wikipedia, quick google shows some of his design work is... interesting

Approved under direction of Domagoj Dukec, some on this forum likes to call him Karen Dukec
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-domagoj-dukec
The Karen is the one who complains, more accurate to say this place is KarenPost
__________________
she’s home! '22 M4 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 1
jmack123707.00
      05-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #83
Quadruple VANOS
Second Lieutenant
191
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Putting aside styling for a comment on functionality… The rear cargo area lift over height is stupid high. It's literally at the same level as the top of the tires! Worse, the rear bumper area people are going to be lifting cargo over is glossy-black plastic! That area is going to get nicked, scratched and look like crap a few months into ownership.
To be honest, the people who are buying these likely won't ever need to lift anything into the trunk other than maybe some shopping bags from pick-your-high-street-European-luxury-brand

And they use valet for that exact reason
I'm not envisioning lumber, but you know luggage and perhaps golf clubs will be hoisted in and out of that cargo area. The stupid-high lift over height (and surrounding glossy plastic) is a notable issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:07 AM   #84
M3JetPilot
Private First Class
M3JetPilot's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Winter Garden, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
The thing is, BMW is the one who makes this call.

And some customers will agree, and others will disagree. I say bring it on. I've loved all my other BMWs but most look dated now when you look at what else is out there. The new design direction is spot on for the times and where we're heading.
BMW isn't really the one who decides the design direction. Sure, they can throw their own playbook out and do whatever they want, but once they've created that new playbook and attracted new customers then they are dedicated to that new design direction. And customers build new expectations of what a BMW should be. This is true for all car manufactures. Those who try to be all things to all people eventually just dilute the brand.

Do you think Porsche designs their cars without accountability to their past designs? Or do they have a loyal customer base that expects certain attributes from the next car that Porsche designs?

The really sad thing is BMW's attempt to take a different design direction only makes their cars look like an amalgamation of other manufactures. There's nothing new about what they are doing and it's far from being spot on for the times and where car design is going as we go electric. From big grilles to thin headlights to fake hood vents, they are at least a decade behind with the "new" direction they are taking.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:32 AM   #85
PNWM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
267
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2021 Alpina XB7
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
BMW isn't really the one who decides the design direction. Sure, they can throw their own playbook out and do whatever they want, but once they've created that new playbook and attracted new customers then they are dedicated to that new design direction. And customers build new expectations of what a BMW should be. This is true for all car manufactures. Those who try to be all things to all people eventually just dilute the brand.

Do you think Porsche designs their cars without accountability to their past designs? Or do they have a loyal customer base that expects certain attributes from the next car that Porsche designs?

The really sad thing is BMW's attempt to take a different design direction only makes their cars look like an amalgamation of other manufactures. There's nothing new about what they are doing and it's far from being spot on for the times and where car design is going as we go electric. From big grilles to thin headlights to fake hood vents, they are at least a decade behind with the "new" direction they are taking.
There’s plenty of accountability to the past. The grills, kink, etc. You can look at it and tell it’s a BMW.

Their designs were getting stale and this, the G80, the new i7 are taking it into a fresher direction
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 05:43 AM   #86
M3JetPilot
Private First Class
M3JetPilot's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Winter Garden, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
There’s plenty of accountability to the past. The grills, kink, etc. You can look at it and tell it’s a BMW.

Their designs were getting stale and this, the G80, the new i7 are taking it into a fresher direction
From an article on the iX, "Don Smith, product manager for BMW, said that while "obviously it makes no sense to have an open grille," the automaker's customers "want it to look like a BMW."

The grille isn't necessary, so let's make it bigger than it has been since the 40's? That isn't fresh, it's just stubborn and unimaginative. And given the number of articles questioning the design and the debates I've seen among BMW fans, many would like BMW to rethink what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #87
PNWM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
267
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2021 Alpina XB7
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
From an article on the iX, "Don Smith, product manager for BMW, said that while "obviously it makes no sense to have an open grille," the automaker's customers "want it to look like a BMW."

The grille isn't necessary, so let's make it bigger than it has been since the 40's? That isn't fresh, it's just stubborn and unimaginative. And given the number of articles questioning the design and the debates I've seen among BMW fans, many would like BMW to rethink what they are doing.
Um, I’m a BMW fan and I like it. And sales numbers don’t lie. They’re giving the customers (the ones buying new cars, not questioning and debating the designs) what they want.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #88
M3JetPilot
Private First Class
M3JetPilot's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Winter Garden, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Um, I’m a BMW fan and I like it. And sales numbers don’t lie. They’re giving the customers (the ones buying new cars, not questioning and debating the designs) what they want.
Wasn't saying you aren't a fan, just that many BMW fans are questioning this design direction. As are you considering some of your comments above. I have 3 BMWs sitting in my garage and will always find a BMW I like and want to buy. For their interiors alone I would buy BMW. That being said, many long time fans are wondering where BMW design is going. The XM will no doubt sell, but that doesn't mean it's a good design. The fact that Lexus can turn the horribly designed NX into a best selling SUV only shows that most consumers buy cars based on many other factors other than design. Sales say very little about design, or how iconic the design will be considered in the future.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST