F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Front Plate
Studio RSR

03-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Front Plate

Hi gents

Been considering removing front plate and stuffing it behind front screen. I mean both cars look dead gorgeous with massive grills and no plate. Is it legal? Looked through highway code but it doesn't clearly say what's what . I know some petrol stations are reading plate before allowing to collect fuel but that's not my biggest concern. All views welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I believe they need to be readily readable by cameras, police.

Also need to be reflective, sitting stuck to your window likely defeats that.

It is also a huge bit of plastic to shove on the screen.

So, it will look stupid, it will also likely result in a guaranteed stop by police when noticed.

It's different therefore suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

First world problems.

I drove around without a front plate on an M3 for ages before being stopped and asked to put it back on. I never liked the mounting plinth for the front, it ruined the look of the car. I got a sticky back vinyl number plate made up and stuck it on, much cleaner, but it looked like a sticker, so got a small front plate made up instead which suited.

So I would suggest the same for you, although on the Audi you would have to put the plate to one side to keep the huge grill exposed. Having it on one side might then upset the symmetry of the front of the car.

S8 looks awesome with no plate.

Would love to get the plate off mine, front looks loads sharper without the mounting plinth (like this)

No idea if its legal or not!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
First world problems.

I drove around without a front plate on an M3 for ages before being stopped and asked to put it back on. I never liked the mounting plinth for the front, it ruined the look of the car. I got a sticky back vinyl number plate made up and stuck it on, much cleaner, but it looked like a sticker, so got a small front plate made up instead which suited.

So I would suggest the same for you, although on the Audi you would have to put the plate to one side to keep the huge grill exposed. Having it on one side might then upset the symmetry of the front of the car.

Would love to get the plate off mine, front looks loads sharper without the mounting plinth (like this)

Thanks man , as you said - S8 looks epic without plate. Might as well risk it and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

The MOT rules will probably govern the display of the plate namely (and I'm going from memory):

The plate needs to be secured so it is unlikely to fall off
Must be fitted as close to vertical as practical
Must be unlikely to be mis read and must be legible by a person standing approx 20 meters from the front of the vehicle
Must not be obscured

I guess it could be argued that even if you could secure it vertically in the front windscreen, reflections of the windscreen could make the plate unreadable.

You'll also likely fall foul of obstruction of visibility from the windscreen rules by an object that restricts view.

Best just to Just play by the rules that we are all subject to.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
First world problems.

To me that stinks of someone doing it to avoid speed cameras or paying road tax and not for looks.

Especially now that so many APNR checks are carried out.

Also totally pointless as places such as airport car parks, shopping centres have number recognition systems.

Have also in the past reported cars with deliberately obscured 'lettering' on number plates, latest was a white Audi where front and rear plates had been painted over with something.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

I drive without front plates

Ruins cars lines

Haven't been pulled over... YET
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdorange View Post
I drive without front plates

Ruins cars lines

Haven't been pulled over... YET
You can be sure they would pull you over in the UK
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
You can be sure they would pull you over in the UK
This is in the UK

U.K. Police have a sense of humour

Monaco police are cunts
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

In the EU if you're driving without a front plate in my country, they're allowed to impound the car and sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:23 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

I asked some mates at work about this, about 10 people total.

Not one person said it would be for making the car look better, actually pointed out 'it's only a BMW, not like it's a Aston Martin etc'

Anyhow, replies ranged from 'obviously a chav' 'stealing petrol' 'wants to avoid cameras'
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #12
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Staying with plates on on both cars. Just realized I am not a boy racer anymore😈
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #13
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
In the EU if you're driving without a front plate in my country, they're allowed to impound the car and sell it.
I think this should also apply to anyone who mis spaces or misrepresents their number plate.

I'm very happy if someone wants a personal plate, ETTO, but dicking about with it to make it say something it doesn't just tells me you've completely wasted your money and your a c*ck.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #14
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I asked some mates at work about this, about 10 people total.

Not one person said it would be for making the car look better, actually pointed out 'it's only a BMW, not like it's a Aston Martin etc'

Anyhow, replies ranged from 'obviously a chav' 'stealing petrol' 'wants to avoid cameras'
funnily enough , on my instagram account , most of the piuctures of Maser had similar comment to this:

"remove the plates!" or "why are you killing car lines with that nasty front plate". When I questioned them they all replayed "been driving for years like this in Central London".

I am foreigner and do not intend to stand out , especially in a "bad" way - so leaving plates as they are.

Thanks for wise words gents. Much appreciated!

Last edited by ciscopete822; 03-10-2016 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
I think this should also apply to anyone who mis spaces or misrepresents their number plate.

I'm very happy if someone wants a personal plate, ETTO, but dicking about with it to make it say something it doesn't just tells me you've completely wasted your money and your a c*ck.
Saw a number plate today that was incorrectly spaced however if it had been speced correctly would have read something completely different. It was on a tractor.

It was spaced

B1G AL

Obviously should be

B1 GAL
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Every cop I know would pull a car if it was not displaying a front plate.

Search VDRS, as that is what you would get, then if you continue to get them serious things can happen, like fines, seizure of vet, etc.

Not only that but the rozzers never pull you over when you have loads of time on your hands, its always when you're late or got summit in the motor you would prefer them not to see.

Kinda not worth it for looks IMO.
Appreciate 0