F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Texas open carry law (guns)
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Christ on a bike, that's like a small UK town disappearing. Don't get me wrong, the states is a beautiful country and I've met/worked with some wonderful people, but those are scary numbers.

We're out their for the summer holidays, doing the whole Griswalds thing, Yosemite, time on a dude ranch and rafting down the Grand Canyon. Best I keep those figures away from the other half.
It's not the guns you should worry about but the bears and rattlesnakes, don't let her watch Deliverance...
      01-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Christ on a bike, that's like a small UK town disappearing. Don't get me wrong, the states is a beautiful country and I've met/worked with some wonderful people, but those are scary numbers.

We're out their for the summer holidays, doing the whole Griswalds thing, Yosemite, time on a dude ranch and rafting down the Grand Canyon. Best I keep those figures away from the other half.
Make sure you rent a Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
It's not the guns you should worry about but the bears and rattlesnakes, don't let her watch Deliverance...
You got a real pretty mouth there boy
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Lol I was visiting some friends over there a couple years back.

We were off for a weekends mountain biking.

However, they had plenty guns, between them.

A weekend in Keilder is not quite the same as a weekend out there lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Lol I was visiting some friends over there a couple years back.

We were off for a weekends mountain biking.

However, they had plenty guns, between them.

A weekend in Keilder is not quite the same as a weekend out there lol.
You should try 3 weeks hiking the Appalachian trail by yourself, the section I did went very close to where Deliverance was actually filmed, I had a little penknife and not much else, surprising the wife wouldnt go with me
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
You got a real pretty mouth there boy
I bet you can squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeee!
      01-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #29
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I bet you can squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeee!
Every night
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #30
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
Not when you look at deaths per 100,000...
I don't know of the source of this information for the graph but may I suggest it is incomplete and inaccurate without a mention of South Africa, which has the highest murder rate of any country with a population greater than 35 million according to UNODC data. If I returned to the U.S to live I would have a firearm again as my folks did without a second thought. If I was in South Africa I would be carrying at all times to protect my family. A total of 17,805 murders were committed from April 2014 to March 2015, an increase of 782 deaths from the year before in a population of 54 million. The U.S by comparison is a haven of tranquility and peace.

Last edited by rocketretro; 01-03-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #31
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketretro View Post
I don't know of the source of this information for the graph but may I suggest it is incomplete and inaccurate without a mention of South Africa, which has the highest murder rate of any country with a population greater than 35 million according to UNODC data. If I returned to the U.S to live I would have a firearm again as my folks did without a second thought. If I was in South Africa I would be carrying at all times to protect my family. A total of 17,805 murders were committed from April 2014 to March 2015, an increase of 782 deaths from the year before in a population of 54 million. The U.S by comparison is a haven of tranquility and peace.
But surely the point of that graph is that it is an illustration of the more supposedly civilised countries of the world, I am sure if we included countries like Somalia, Columbia etc they would have even worst figures.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #32
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
But surely the point of that graph is that it is an illustration of the more supposedly civilised countries of the world, I am sure if we included countries like Somalia, Columbia etc they would have even worst figures.
I didn't realise the data was selectively supported and restricted to 'civilised' countries but not including eastern European countries. The point I'm making is that the graph only represents a conclusion that the author wants to make. I suppose it has some value if you want to make a comparison between certain dissimilar countries.
      01-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #33
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

this is terrifying http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...a-gun-violence
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #34
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
The graph show the American average. New Orleans has twice the gun death rate of Columbia.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #35
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Look at all those UK folks, afraid of guns. Let me send you some blankets and hot cocoa.

I still have not heard the blood in the streets comment....

The reality is that this legislation has been long overdue, it gives the good people of texas the right to choose how they carry. I have yet to see a gang banger open carry, a good person go on a murderous rampage because tool A was available and not tool B.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
Look at all those UK folks, afraid of guns. Let me send you some blankets and hot cocoa.

The reality is that this legislation has been long overdue, it gives the good people of texas the right to choose how they carry. I have yet to see a gang banger open carry, a good person go on a murderous rampage because tool A was available and not tool B.
No one is afraid of guns, respect yes, afraid of those using them to inflict the number of deaths per 100k - yes.

I am all for open carry when it's suitable, in fact at times it preferential to concealed.

Doubt you will hear a blood in the streets comment, the blood is mainly in people homes, at schools, in cars etc.

For what is supposed to be a civilised country, the stats quite simply point to anything but civilised.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #37
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post

Won't it be cold by the time it gets over here

What a load of old bollocks you colonials come up with to defend your right to bear arms
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #38
Sniper101
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i F30

I live in Texas and yes I have my LTC and I carry my weapon almost everyday and almost everywhere I go there is far less crime here especially when criminals know that most people are carrying a gun
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #39
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper101 View Post
I live in Texas and yes I have my LTC and I carry my weapon almost everyday and almost everywhere I go there is far less crime here especially when criminals know that most people are carrying a gun
Yep it's good that guns are there to control criminals and that only they feel the brunt of them.

http://www.kltv.com/story/29699752/l...-another-child

http://radio.com/2016/03/07/shooting...tal-discharge/

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3...5-year-old-son

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/25...gun-range.html

Can't beat good drills n skills.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:37 AM   #40
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I love the US and I've had many great trips there and met lots of great people. However you start talking about regulating the guns and it all gets a bit out of control. I don't understand why sensible people would have a big issue with filling out a few more forms, waiting a little while before you buy your massive hand cannon or machine gun, maybe doing a few training courses and having someone check where their guns are stored? However suddenly they start quoting one part of the constitution that they say is so important but they've failed to pipe up at any point previously when their government ignores loads of other parts of the constitution such as freedom of speech and religion, the right to a fair trial by jury. Madness
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Love it.

Can't see what could possibly go wrong here....
      03-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #42
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
You can now legally walk around Texas in most circumstances openly carrying your gun on your hip, once you've passed a test.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-handguns.html

Can you imagine such a thing in the UK? Everyone down the pub or out on the town carrying guns!! It would be carnage....

I'm not a stranger to guns I used to shoot most weekends (clays) and before they were banned I used to go to a shooting range but it seems madness to me.
So what ban is this, exactly ?
Because I own a number of rifles and shotguns (in fact, I've only just put in my application for a new .308 rifle for deer stalking), and know people who lawfully own (and use) pistols too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #43
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
So what ban is this, exactly ?
Because I own a number of rifles and shotguns (in fact, I've only just put in my application for a new .308 rifle for deer stalking), and know people who lawfully own (and use) pistols too.
Yeah me as well.

You can legally fire and own 0.5 cal and .308 etc.

Some decent ranges for long target shooting.

Admittedly some fuckers that use them for hunting can't shoot for fuck all and should be banned, then again some fuckers should not be allowed staplers

For info.

http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/wp-content/...3_firearms.pdf
Appreciate 0