F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So I inquired about timing of Dinan packages for the 340, and...
GetBMWParts

04-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
erko1905
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a bmw

I don't feel as strongly against or for Dinan at the moment but I can tell you the pros and cons that I found through my experience with them, maybe people find it helpful:

Pros:

1) Hardware quality is phenomenal. CAI, exhaust, intercooler, springs, they all seem extremely well designed, built; they work very well.

2) Customer support is pretty good. I had a borderline fraudulent issue with a Dinan dealer; they got in between; I had a check in my mail in a few days from the shop. They're very responsive in general.

Cons (maybe a pro for some?):

The Dinantronics box is EXTREMELY conservative. And I mean, I like the box, but I have to admit, it's slow; I'm not sure how I can sugarcoat that. I did not dyno the car, but on their stage 3 map, rolling starts, you'll maybe pull away from some stage 1-2 piggyback boxes out there if you're lucky, but more likely you'll just kind of barely keep up, if not slightly lag behind it seems. Now, that's not really surprising, given they have to tune with the warranty in mind, so no pushing the limits, well more like not even getting remotely close to those limits. It's probably a positive for the longevity of the engine, if you're really concerned about that. And the Dinantronics box does seem to run fairly smoothly in terms of power delivery, day to day driving etc. (Again, my experience, I know some people had issues), so it does feel quite refined for a piggyback box.

It's just that I feel like most people who are that concerned about warranty coverage, engine reliability/safety, long term engine conservation, would just not tune at all in the first place, or maybe just get MPPK.

So the ideal Dinan customer needs to be the person who is into modifying their car enough to spend thousands of dollars to buy all their packages (since you can't get some of their maps without the hardware), but yet again be really concerned about the warranty. It's a person who can drop 5k in parts/labor on a whim for just an extra 50whp, but he really wants to be covered if something bad happens, which at those gains probably is not a concern anyway.

I think the more I think about this, the more I find this somewhat of an oxymoron of sorts, an expensive tuner for the warranty inclined. At the very least, this customer base must be a really narrow part on the tuning spectrum that goes from keeping everything stock to full FBO custom tuning/maxing out your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

InB4 Steve Dinan Comeback lol
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #25
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

It was kinda funny since a guy in a Local St. Louis BMW group was asking about Dinan for his M235i vs JB4 and a good friend of mine, A huge Dinan Fanboy commented and said all this blah blah blah power and blah blah blah best results and what not. I did not really want to rain on his parade but I pretty much told him to do his research on the different tunes available for the F2X chassis. So I showed him Advertised DT numbers and then posted the BMS JB4 Dyno results from the BMS website. I also included the Enzo 400R PKG in the threaad and it absolutely blew his mind. He could not believe the number the Enzo was making on just a tune and DP for the price. Also the fact that they (I believe also have a warranty of 1 yr or 10k miles, please don't quote me on that). Dinan I feel has lost its pizzazz and appeal and with these new turbo engines the available flash tunes are far better value for money, especially if they are offering warranty. With that being said I plan on stashing some cash and going Enzo 400R on my 35i. I cannot wait to see what they come up with for the 40i.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #26
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VividRacingII
Most of the Dinan products are CA legal, this is a big statement on modification industry.
BMS is cheap, however it tabs the CANbus, showing evidence to dealers the car was modified before.

It takes time to develop a reliable and dealer safe product. Meanwhile, Dinan just announced the springs for 340i now available!
The JB4 when it 1st came out for the F platform tapped into the CANBus but now they can be directly plugged into the OBD PORT leaving no trace whatsoever.

What you're thinking of has pretty much been outdated and a thing of the past about 18months ago.
With that being said having a JB4 and a Ecu flash stacked I'd tell the OP get the Ecu flash it's well worth it and it won't be detected. A reputable company will remotely upload it back into your Ecu if deleted upon a dealer visit. I know ENZO does.
      04-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix Sport/track/tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Just wait a few months for the MPPK; it requires the M Performance exhaust which, from what I've heard, sounds awesome.

Problem solved

Can you confirm the BMW MPE for the 340 currently available is the same component that will be used with the upcoming MPPK? Other threads (Port Installed MPE) indicate differently.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #28
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post

Can you confirm the BMW MPE for the 340 currently available is the same component that will be used with the upcoming MPPK? Other threads (Port Installed MPE) indicate differently.
The MPE is not the same exhaust used for the MPPSK (Power and Sound Kit)... I didn't know this at the time of posting.

Reference:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1153
Name:  MPE_not_for_MPPSK.png
Views: 598
Size:  28.3 KB
      04-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix Sport/track/tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
The MPE is not the same exhaust used for the MPPSK (Power and Sound Kit)... I didn't know this at the time of posting.

Reference:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1153
Attachment 1399290
Damn! I guess I should see if I can remove it from my PIA build.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #30
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

The best advantage of the Dinan over any other tune is the warranty. Thats what you are paying for. If you blow your motor up on their tune it's taken care of at a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0