BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Glass protection

10-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I bought a 2021 X7 M50i, opted not to buy the windshield protection plan, I had the front passenger window crack on a road trip recently and my insurance company has been giving me the run around so I went ahead and paid for it myself, around $1000. My question is can I buy a glass protection plan now since I've had the car for about 6 weeks whether BMW or another company and do these plans cover side windows and windshield or just windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I bought a 2021 X7 M50i, opted not to buy the windshield protection plan, I had the front passenger window crack on a road trip recently and my insurance company has been giving me the run around so I went ahead and paid for it myself, around $1000. My question is can I buy a glass protection plan now since I've had the car for about 6 weeks whether BMW or another company and do these plans cover side windows and windshield or just windshield.
I would just get glass coverage on your auto insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Quote:
I would just get glass coverage on your auto insurance policy.
It does have that but they wouldn't approve my dealership to replace it abd and then were giving me the run around about replacing it with bmw glass and instead using some other kind of glass so I just went and did it myself
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:
It does have that but they wouldn't approve my dealership to replace it abd and then were giving me the run around about replacing it with bmw glass and instead using some other kind of glass so I just went and did it myself
The dealership doesn't do the work themselves, they will just take the car, contract with a local glass shop to do the work at their facility and jack up the price. You could ask the service manager who they use and have the insurance company work with that glass shop...you would probably have to pay the markup to use OEM glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

True. Most dealerships probably use safelite and they typically can get OEM glass.

On a side note, I’d check more into your insurance company. If they are giving you the run around on glass they’ll probably give you the same run around for any other major damages.

I would say most insurance companies opt for repairs of like kind and quality. And I would say most dealers don’t do body and paint work and farm that out to one of their preferred shops. All the mechanical work would be done by the dealer though.

So, when an insurance company says you can use any shop you want including the dealer they are stating the truth. What they don’t state is you will only be paid the amount it costs for a shop of their choosing to make the repairs based on their assessment of the damage. Labor rates are typically what makes dealers more expensive and insurance companies adhere to lower rates.

However, the dealer if chosen to do the repairs can negotiate with the insurance company for better rates. I was in a similar situation with my Volvo XC90. The sunroof glass broke and the dealer provided me a quote. My insurance also did a quote and guess what they were lower than the dealer. Dealer made some calls and was able to repair it through insurance.

Also, insurance chalked this up as comprehensive claim versus glass since it wasn’t the windshield. They almost made it a collision claim which would have given me a hit on insurance rates. I explained it was no fault and they switched it to comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
The dealership doesn't do the work themselves, they will just take the car, contract with a local glass shop to do the work at their facility and jack up the price. You could ask the service manager who they use and have the insurance company work with that glass shop...you would probably have to pay the markup to use OEM glass.
That's not entirely true. Some dealerships do their own glass replacement. How do I know? Because my dealer does their own glass replacements. I had a long conversation with them in regards to glass replacement and they have their own BMW trained glass techs.

I'm guessing it depends on the dealership and the area you live in.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
$1000 is really good deal for windshield with HUD. In my area, windshield with HUD and sensors typically $1800-$3000. How much BMW windshield protection cost? Insurance use OEM glass if none of the aftermarket option available. Does X7 has aftermarket glass?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #8
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
$1000 is really good deal for windshield with HUD. In my area, windshield with HUD and sensors typically $1800-$3000. How much BMW windshield protection cost? Insurance use OEM glass if none of the aftermarket option available. Does X7 has aftermarket glass?
Its not the windshield. It's the front passenger window, glass is $699 and I guess labor and tinting came out to $300.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Quote:
Its not the windshield. It's the front passenger window, glass is $699 and I guess labor and tinting came out to $300.
Someone mentioned rethinking your insurance provider and I tend to agree. Just this past spring wife's X5 M50 with HUD, cameras and all that shit had windshield shattered by a rock off a truck. My insurance covered the repair 100%. Safelite installed BMW OEM glass with the Connected Drive logos, camera calibration, and that fancy shit in my garage on a Saturday. $$$Zero$$$ out of my pocket. Claim covered no issue, considered act of god just like totaling your rig when hitting a deer. That's what insurance us for ...accidents.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #10
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Someone mentioned rethinking your insurance provider and I tend to agree. Just this past spring wife's X5 M50 with HUD, cameras and all that shit had windshield shattered by a rock off a truck. My insurance covered the repair 100%. Safelite installed BMW OEM glass with the Connected Drive logos, camera calibration, and that fancy shit in my garage on a Saturday. $$$Zero$$$ out of my pocket. Claim covered no issue, considered act of god just like totaling your rig when hitting a deer. That's what insurance us for ...accidents.
I think I heard it also depends on the state you're in. My windshield cracked on my previous car which was an X5, they replaced it and all I had to pay was $50. But I had the bmw protection plan back then. I am definitely changing my insurance when I move to a different state soon. What state are you in and what insurance company is it if you don't mind me asking. I never knew the safelite ppl could do the calibration stuff !
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think I heard it also depends on the state you're in. My windshield cracked on my previous car which was an X5, they replaced it and all I had to pay was $50. But I had the bmw protection plan back then. I am definitely changing my insurance when I move to a different state soon. What state are you in and what insurance company is it if you don't mind me asking. I never knew the safelite ppl could do the calibration stuff !
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Iowa. State Farm.
Appreciate 0