BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Another exhaust thread...

04-06-2024, 03:51 PM   #23
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
No DP's in the Video, the DP's added about 15% more volume. The set up prior to the DP's was about 15% over stock. IMO, perfect for all situations. Zero drone with the valves open and closed.

I have a valve controller, and now I mostly leave the valves closed. Prior to the DP's I opened them up almost all of the time.

Hope this helps some...
Ok sounds good thanks - feels like the AA resonated midpipe is only slightly louder than stock (albeit much improved tone) so I’m guessing I won’t get a ton more volume with this unless I swap to unresonated midpipe…and then TBD on rasp…but no denying this is the best back box for me from a look / fit and finish perspective if I depart from stock. I just need to figure out if I’ll get enough volume increase to make it worth it. My problem, appreciate the advice
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:17 PM   #24
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Ok sounds good thanks - feels like the AA resonated midpipe is only slightly louder than stock (albeit much improved tone) so I’m guessing I won’t get a ton more volume with this unless I swap to unresonated midpipe…and then TBD on rasp…but no denying this is the best back box for me from a look / fit and finish perspective if I depart from stock. I just need to figure out if I’ll get enough volume increase to make it worth it. My problem, appreciate the advice
I assume you don't want to mess with a tune? As part of my tune Enabled shortening the cold start routine on my car really helped the cold start rasp issue on mine so I have kept my AA EL in the non-resonated format (stock DP and exhaust) and I love it. With that said I'm like you and want a bit more now, so I'm thinking about exhaust setups. I have a M2C BTW not a CS.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:53 PM   #25
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
The video is with the valves open, it is the perfect volume. Be careful trying to get more volume. These cars are very insulated, a lot of time once you are satisfied with the volume, there is the accompanying drone. As I said, with the valves open it was perfect with zero drone). With the catted DP's it is still great, but crossed the line a smidge with the vales open, but perfect with the valves closed.

The DP's were to complete the "stage II" set up, however you really cant tell power wise. 490whp to 510whp are basically the same.
      04-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #26
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Volume wise, I was actually 100% happy with the AA EL midpipe and stock CS back box…perfect volume, incredible tone. It was just the cold start rasp that made me swap for resonated. And it wasn’t just a 1 minute thing…it lasted a good 5+. And it happened on every start, even if the car was just driven. I was assured by AA that the volume reduction going to resonated was not material…but it was significant. At first, I was just so happy to moderate the cold start rasp that I looked past it. But 2 months later, I’m missing the emotional connection of the more violent sound…I don’t need to set off car alarms, I just want to get back to where I was, without the rasp that came with an un-resonated setup.

So, I need to research how the stock CS backbox compares to Eisenman back box, midpipe aside…that should answer my question on whether I’ll get back to where I want to be.

And no, I don’t want to tune the car, at least not for the foreseeable future. Heard about tuning out the warmup but there’s something in me (potentially unreasonable) that wants to keep ECU and DPs untouched. Feels like one step too far for me on this car…but that’s a personal problem haha!
Appreciate 2
MSH_130.50
      04-07-2024, 01:38 PM   #27
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Volume wise, I was actually 100% happy with the AA EL midpipe and stock CS back box…perfect volume, incredible tone. It was just the cold start rasp that made me swap for resonated. And it wasn’t just a 1 minute thing…it lasted a good 5+. And it happened on every start, even if the car was just driven. I was assured by AA that the volume reduction going to resonated was not material…but it was significant. At first, I was just so happy to moderate the cold start rasp that I looked past it. But 2 months later, I’m missing the emotional connection of the more violent sound…I don’t need to set off car alarms, I just want to get back to where I was, without the rasp that came with an un-resonated setup.

So, I need to research how the stock CS backbox compares to Eisenman back box, midpipe aside…that should answer my question on whether I’ll get back to where I want to be.

And no, I don’t want to tune the car, at least not for the foreseeable future. Heard about tuning out the warmup but there’s something in me (potentially unreasonable) that wants to keep ECU and DPs untouched. Feels like one step too far for me on this car…but that’s a personal problem haha!
I bet you $3 that you will love the Eisenmann with your AA EL res mid...

04-07-2024, 03:37 PM   #28
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post
I’m also conflicted about which AA midpipe to buy. I just received my Remus sport (yet to be installed) and am procrastinating on a decision for the midpipe.

Is the rasp really that bad with the unresonated midpipe?
Went down this rabbit hole, listening to countless hours of youtube exhaust clips. A year and a half ago I went with the Remus Sport muffler (deeper tone, no rasp). While completely happy with the tone/sound (have stock downpipes / stock midpipe) I decided I wanted more volume.

Below thread and following their headphone suggestion, pushed me to recently pair my Remus Sport with an AA single, non-res. I prefer the single over the EL. The single retaining BMW's inline 6 sound while the EL reminds me of the V6 engine note from an Infinity G35/G37.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1667132

Love it! No drone, good volume without being obnoxious, subdued with valves closed, sports car sound with valves open, no problems with cold start.

Btw, I coded both ASD and burbles off. I think I finally have an adult sounding car, perfect volume and no gimmicks (ASD/burbles).
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 03:46 PM   #29
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

However, if we could do something as simple as an exhaust swap and get something that sounds this good... sign me up

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:32 PM   #30
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Went down this rabbit hole, listening to countless hours of youtube exhaust clips. A year and a half ago I went with the Remus Sport muffler (deeper tone, no rasp). While completely happy with the tone/sound (have stock downpipes / stock midpipe) I decided I wanted more volume.

Below thread and following their headphone suggestion, pushed me to recently pair my Remus Sport with an AA single, non-res. I prefer the single over the EL. The single retaining BMW's inline 6 sound while the EL reminds me of the V6 engine note from an Infinity G35/G37.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1667132

Love it! No drone, good volume without being obnoxious, subdued with valves closed, sports car sound with valves open, no problems with cold start.

Btw, I coded both ASD and burbles off. I think I finally have an adult sounding car, perfect volume and no gimmicks (ASD/burbles).
That thread has great info. Im leaning towards AA EL due to the tone. Maybe I’ll start with unresonated and if it’s too loud/raspy then I can switch out for the resonated pipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 07:05 PM   #31
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Think you’re gonna win that bet - plus they make it in a fully blacked out version? So sexy…I’m jumping on this soon. Thanks for all the info!

And regarding AA single / EL - pros/cons of each, but I’m def very happy with my choice. I hear the argument on single but im in love with that clean throaty sound on the EL.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #32
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Think you’re gonna win that bet - plus they make it in a fully blacked out version? So sexy…I’m jumping on this soon. Thanks for all the info!

And regarding AA single / EL - pros/cons of each, but I’m def very happy with my choice. I hear the argument on single but im in love with that clean throaty sound on the EL.
The black was not available when I ordered mine, but it is sexy. To me the EL is a must, these cars need to clean up the vacuum cleaner sound they produce stock. IMHO the only way to do that is to balance the exhaust.
      04-07-2024, 08:55 PM   #33
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post
That thread has great info. Im leaning towards AA EL due to the tone. Maybe I’ll start with unresonated and if it’s too loud/raspy then I can switch out for the resonated pipes.
Okay. I think you will like this thread too. I used this for when I chose to go with the Remus Sport muffler vs Remus Race. And this thread covers the AA EL midpipe. The previous thread I posted was focused on the AA Single midpipe.

Good info and sound clips - enjoy.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852436
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 09:00 PM   #34
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The black was not available when I ordered mine, but it is sexy. To me the EL is a must, these cars need to clean up the vacuum cleaner sound they produce stock. IMHO the only way to do that is to balance the exhaust.
Totally agree - all of the options in this thread are worlds better than the stock setup. Just comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:23 AM   #35
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Okay. I think you will like this thread too. I used this for when I chose to go with the Remus Sport muffler vs Remus Race. And this thread covers the AA EL midpipe. The previous thread I posted was focused on the AA Single midpipe.

Good info and sound clips - enjoy.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852436
This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I’m convinced. I’m going non res AA EL.
Appreciate 1
Telluride132.50
      04-08-2024, 05:47 AM   #36
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - once I heard it, was a no brainer and I’m never going back on the mid pipe. Fixed the ONE and ONLY issue I had with this car, so I owe that midpipe an immense amount of gratitude haha. Will order the Eisenmann sometime in the next 2 months when I can knock out install and will circle back. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 07:45 AM   #37
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - once I heard it, was a no brainer and I’m never going back on the mid pipe. Fixed the ONE and ONLY issue I had with this car, so I owe that midpipe an immense amount of gratitude haha. Will order the Eisenmann sometime in the next 2 months when I can knock out install and will circle back. Thanks all!
I need to disagree with you on this one (there are two issues). The sound 100% agree, the back box is simply unacceptable on all M2c/cs cars. You will see how much better the car looks once the droopy mess is gone.
      04-08-2024, 08:57 AM   #38
2020_M2CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [7.50]
Quote:
I need to disagree with you on this one (there are two issues). The sound 100% agree, the back box is simply unacceptable on all M2c/cs cars. You will see how much better the car looks once the droopy mess is gone.
The m2(s) requires a neutering! Chop the sack off!
Appreciate 1
M3R12173.00
      04-10-2024, 04:53 AM   #39
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Fair point - it drove me crazy at first, almost painted it but decided against it as I didn’t want to paint any of the special CS parts. To be honest, what changed my perception was learning the muffler served an aero purpose - learned from someone in the know at BMW that they did this to reduce drag / “parachuting” of the rear bumper. Still ugly, yes, but at least it was functional design, and that changed my view of it.

But yes, I’ll be swapping her for a blacked out Eisenmann soon
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:26 AM   #40
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fair point - it drove me crazy at first, almost painted it but decided against it as I didn’t want to paint any of the special CS parts. To be honest, what changed my perception was learning the muffler served an aero purpose - learned from someone in the know at BMW that they did this to reduce drag / “parachuting” of the rear bumper. Still ugly, yes, but at least it was functional design, and that changed my view of it.

But yes, I’ll be swapping her for a blacked out Eisenmann soon
I heard that "theory" as well. I'm not sure I buy it though...

Edit: I don't buy it at all...
      04-10-2024, 12:27 PM   #41
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I heard that "theory" as well. I'm not sure I buy it though...

Edit: I don't buy it at all...
It does make sense if you think about the rear bumper / diffuser not being vented at all…and it essentially acting like a “scoop” of air isn’t deflected down below it…hence me giving them the benefit of the doubt. Why else? Cost is the only other rational reason…and I just don’t see that being significant…but tbd
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:26 PM   #42
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It does make sense if you think about the rear bumper / diffuser not being vented at all…and it essentially acting like a “scoop” of air isn’t deflected down below it…hence me giving them the benefit of the doubt. Why else? Cost is the only other rational reason…and I just don’t see that being significant…but tbd
From many things I have read, a flat undercarriage is better for aerodynamics to reduce lift. Nevertheless, unless you are doing well into triple digits it just doesn't matter.
      04-13-2024, 03:24 PM   #43
KSA.m6
Private
Rep
Drives: M6 14 GC frozen grey & 21 M2C

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
I assume you mean catted DP? Do you happen to have any sound/vid clips with your set up?
No sir, I mean resonated DPs.
Sorry no Vid clips.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:14 PM   #44
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:

Did you ever give your Eisenmann a shot with the non-res connecting pipes with the EL midpipe? I assume it will get too raspy but just curious. I have both the resonated and non-res pipes for my EL midpipe with the stock backbox., so I could try both if I end up with the Eisenmann
Appreciate 1
NPTM370.50