forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Steering or suspension issue

01-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
forevr5688
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive50i

Steering or suspension issue

Hey all. Wondering if any of you have experience these issues before and if so, what was done to resolve them. I have recently started noticing my steering wheel has gotten more heavy and sometimes it nudges as if it were trying to keep you in lane but it's not. It takes more effort to turn the wheel. More noticeable during curves like on a on or off ramp. I have made sure that all the lane keep assist settings are turned off but it still happens. It also seems to be more affected by the dips and bumps in the road. Also, I'm noticing the car seems to be wobbling side-to-side more instead of bouncing up and down over bumps. Last symptom I noticed is the steering wheel has a slight initial pull to the right when you press the brakes around 30-50mph range. I have an appointment with the dealer but want to try to be prepared when I walk in there. It almost seems like there's something broken in the steering or suspension. I took the wheels off and did a visual inspection but did not see anything obvious. Also, I tried to find the power steering fluid in the engine compartment but didn't find it. Do we have a power steering reservoir? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevr5688 View Post
Hey all. Wondering if any of you have experience these issues before and if so, what was done to resolve them. I have recently started noticing my steering wheel has gotten more heavy and sometimes it nudges as if it were trying to keep you in lane but it's not. It takes more effort to turn the wheel. More noticeable during curves like on a on or off ramp. I have made sure that all the lane keep assist settings are turned off but it still happens. It also seems to be more affected by the dips and bumps in the road. Also, I'm noticing the car seems to be wobbling side-to-side more instead of bouncing up and down over bumps. Last symptom I noticed is the steering wheel has a slight initial pull to the right when you press the brakes around 30-50mph range. I have an appointment with the dealer but want to try to be prepared when I walk in there. It almost seems like there's something broken in the steering or suspension. I took the wheels off and did a visual inspection but did not see anything obvious. Also, I tried to find the power steering fluid in the engine compartment but didn't find it. Do we have a power steering reservoir? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
There's no power steering fluid with Electronic Power Steering (EPS) units in G05/6/7

If there's issues with the EPS, a warning symbol should display in the KOMBI (instrument panel) in addition to message in CID (central info display)

In the event of failure of the electromechanical power steering (EPS), a yellow Check Control symbol appears in the LC display.

Simultaneously, the fixed indicator lamp lights up in the instrument cluster. The Check Control symbol has the following meaning: Steering behavior! Drive with vehicle care!

Possible causes for the Check Control message lighting up can be:

- Fault in the EPS control unit, in an integrated sensor or in the servomotor EPS overheat protection
- Undervoltage or overvoltage
- Failure of external signals with influence on steering servo assistance
- Faulty or incomplete initialization of the steering (e.g. learning end stops)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
forevr5688
Rep

Unfortunately, I have no symbols or indicators in the instrument cluster anywhere. Any possibility of a fuse blown? Would that show a symbol in the IC? I was just driving the car and the steering wheel almost feels like it's hitting a patch of ice. It'll feel effortless like it hit a patch of ice and then heavy like it caught traction again. It's not as exaggerated as that but it's enough to cause some uncertainty. Then at times I'll be driving straight and all of a sudden I'll feel a nudge in the wheel like a correction from the lane keep assist but it's off. Then the suspension just feels like there's a flex to it like how skateboard wheels turn when you lean to one side. The car just doesn't feel grounded. Sucks I have a 3hr road trip to take this weekend and my appointment with the dealer is Monday. My arm is definitely getting a workout holding the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
forevr5688
Rep

I just remembered something. I think this started happening after I noticed the small orange side indicator lights in the headlights were on when I went into the garage. I hadn't used the car for a couple hours. So I don't know why the lights were on. I was thinking that maybe I accidentally hit a button on the display key but I don't think so. It turned off when I locked the car with the remote. The battery wasn't drained but could this be a electrical issue and if so, would that throw a check control message? I see it says a possible cause is undervoltage or overvoltage but it should throw check control message which I don't have. Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #5
Strzman
Registered
Rep

@ Forevr5688 - I just experienced the exact steering rack symptoms as you described back in Jan 2022 in my 2019 X7 i50. Were you able to ascertain the issue and remediate? Hoping it not necessary to replace the entire rack. My thought is its either electrical-related (as the rack in electronic power-assisted), perhaps requiring a new battery (although I have no error codes/warning lights), or the EPS control unit on the rack needs replacement. Appreciate you sharing your experience. Look forward to your reply.
Appreciate 0