JohnniGrenaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 iDrive40

Noobie question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
hi all,

I have been going through posts here on the forum trying to figure out the solution.

I just bought a 2019 X7, and the drivers side massaging seat is not working. The button on the door has all three lights on but within the iDrive system the function is off, and I cannot turn it on.

Gesture control is not working either (that is less important to me, but honestly just a little annoying)

There is no warranty on the car so I am hoping for solutions that does not require me paying BMW the BNP of a small country to fix it.

Thanks everyone for suggestions, I am brand new to BMW and it's cars so if you have any suggestions, please consider me a BMW and Car rookie, I don't know where things are and what abbreviations mean
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #2
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnniGrenaa View Post
hi all,

I have been going through posts here on the forum trying to figure out the solution.

I just bought a 2019 X7, and the drivers side massaging seat is not working. The button on the door has all three lights on but within the iDrive system the function is off, and I cannot turn it on.

Gesture control is not working either (that is less important to me, but honestly just a little annoying)

There is no warranty on the car so I am hoping for solutions that does not require me paying BMW the BNP of a small country to fix it.

Thanks everyone for suggestions, I am brand new to BMW and it's cars so if you have any suggestions, please consider me a BMW and Car rookie, I don't know where things are and what abbreviations mean
Do your bolster adjustments work on the seat? Other seat adjustment mechanisms? While separate system, it could indicate a possible fuse or programming error or a seat that has a disconnected wiring harness. Try a hard restart on the car by disconnecting the batteries for an hour or two.

That’s where I would start.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #3
JohnniGrenaa
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your reply. Yes, every other feature of the seat works with no issue. The passenger seat functions as well with massage and everything.

Where would I find the fuse box?

Last edited by JohnniGrenaa; Yesterday at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Updated content
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Where would I find the fuse box?
There's more than one fuse box. Not sure where the fuse index diagram/sheet is located on your model...but on all of my F chassis BMWs, there was a fuse index sheet folded up and inserted in a slot in the rear fuse box location. Also check your owners manual...it may reference the locations, too.

{front}

{rear}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #5
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
There's more than one fuse box. Not sure where the fuse index diagram/sheet is located on your model...but on all of my F chassis BMWs, there was a fuse index sheet folded up and inserted in a slot in the rear fuse box location. Also check your owners manual...it may reference the locations, too.

{front}

{rear}
Excellent response.

Worth noting, normally a fuse won’t blow unless there is a problem. It could have short circuited but likely a larger problem.

I’d look under the seat for a loose connector or something like that. Also check iDrive settings for additional settings. I’d then try the power reset by disconnecting battery(s).
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
hi all,

Hello and welcome to the BMW Fam - Bam!

I wanted to comment on your experience with Gesture Control:

1. A lot of people do not like Gesture Control for whatever reason and most resort to turning it off - being that you just got your X7, I wanted to make sure that the feature is on or enabled :

Settings --> General Settings --> Gesture Control --> On/Enabled

*Assuming the feature is on - whenever a gesture can be used, your car will show you how to use it
(e.g., when increasing the volume of the radio, you will see a gesture pop up showing you to point your finger at the screen and rotate it in a clockwise direction)

2. I drive a 2021 330i (Name: Hrag) that has Gesture control and I have an Armenian cross necklace hanging over my rear view mirror and I've noticed that it somewhat interferes with the gesture control, especially if the necklace is swinging. That said, I can still use my gesture control and it doesn't bother me all that much, but wanted to mention this in case you have something hanging over the rear view mirror and if that is causing problems with your gesture experience.

A few additional tips from my experience:
1. I have the "point two fingers" gesture set to "No Function"
- This is because from the factory it is set to "Mute Audio" and I found myself accidently triggering the gesture whenever I reach towards the display.
2. Out of all the gestures available, the only gesture that gives me a hard time is using gesture control with the "Surround View with 3D" feature - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't lol
3. I don't like my music being interrupted and so I have the "Audio Confirmation" for gestures disabled lol
4. If you listen to your music/audio on "Shuffle", you will like and use the gestures more frequently! haha

A few other things:
1. Assuming your X7 does NOT have the "Ambient Air" Package, your X7 will have a CD port/player
2. If your X7 has the "Glass Controls" option, your radio knob will be glass as well!
3. Despite your X7 being out of warranty and a lot of the subscriptions now expired, you can re-add a lot of those subscriptions back to your vehicle: myBMW app --> look for the shopping bag icon on the lower right --> Connected Drive Store
- If you don't have the BMWapp, all of this can be done online
4. If your X7 has Remote Engine Start (if it doesn't, I think you can buy that from the connected drive store) and you would like to use the BMWapp to turn on your X7

4A. Enable Remote Start: Settings --> Climate Control Settings --> Preconditioning/Preventilation --> Remote Engine Start --> Turn it on

4B. Using remote start on the myBMW app: Settings --> General Settings --> Data Privacy --> All Services
- If done correctly, you will see a fan with an arrow on top of it on the app

5. If your X7 has the Drive Recorder (or available for purchase), I would add it and make sure it is set up - its basically a dashcam for your X7 that will automatically save a recording up to 20 seconds before AND after your X7 (God - forbid) detects it has been in an accident and it can use all 4 cameras. Its basically always recording and deleting and it will only save a recording (automatically) if your X7 is in a car accident! It can also assist with theft as well

Sorry to throw a lot at you, but I hope this all helps! One thing I should tell you is that the 3/4 series (G2x) and the X7 (g07) forums are highly active and they (we) all go hard for one another and so feel free to ask us if you have any other questions - Technically I don't belong here being that I have a 330i (G20), but the X7 is one of my favorite models and so you'll see me on here every now and then! Hahaha

Cameron
Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:49 AM   #7
JohnniGrenaa
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hello and welcome to the BMW Fam - Bam!

I wanted to comment on your experience with Gesture Control:

1. A lot of people do not like Gesture Control for whatever reason and most resort to turning it off - being that you just got your X7, I wanted to make sure that the feature is on or enabled :

Settings --> General Settings --> Gesture Control --> On/Enabled

*Assuming the feature is on - whenever a gesture can be used, your car will show you how to use it
(e.g., when increasing the volume of the radio, you will see a gesture pop up showing you to point your finger at the screen and rotate it in a clockwise direction)

2. I drive a 2021 330i (Name: Hrag) that has Gesture control and I have an Armenian cross necklace hanging over my rear view mirror and I've noticed that it somewhat interferes with the gesture control, especially if the necklace is swinging. That said, I can still use my gesture control and it doesn't bother me all that much, but wanted to mention this in case you have something hanging over the rear view mirror and if that is causing problems with your gesture experience.

A few additional tips from my experience:
1. I have the "point two fingers" gesture set to "No Function"
- This is because from the factory it is set to "Mute Audio" and I found myself accidently triggering the gesture whenever I reach towards the display.
2. Out of all the gestures available, the only gesture that gives me a hard time is using gesture control with the "Surround View with 3D" feature - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't lol
3. I don't like my music being interrupted and so I have the "Audio Confirmation" for gestures disabled lol
4. If you listen to your music/audio on "Shuffle", you will like and use the gestures more frequently! haha

A few other things:
1. Assuming your X7 does NOT have the "Ambient Air" Package, your X7 will have a CD port/player
2. If your X7 has the "Glass Controls" option, your radio knob will be glass as well!
3. Despite your X7 being out of warranty and a lot of the subscriptions now expired, you can re-add a lot of those subscriptions back to your vehicle: myBMW app --> look for the shopping bag icon on the lower right --> Connected Drive Store
- If you don't have the BMWapp, all of this can be done online
4. If your X7 has Remote Engine Start (if it doesn't, I think you can buy that from the connected drive store) and you would like to use the BMWapp to turn on your X7

4A. Enable Remote Start: Settings --> Climate Control Settings --> Preconditioning/Preventilation --> Remote Engine Start --> Turn it on

4B. Using remote start on the myBMW app: Settings --> General Settings --> Data Privacy --> All Services
- If done correctly, you will see a fan with an arrow on top of it on the app

5. If your X7 has the Drive Recorder (or available for purchase), I would add it and make sure it is set up - its basically a dashcam for your X7 that will automatically save a recording up to 20 seconds before AND after your X7 (God - forbid) detects it has been in an accident and it can use all 4 cameras. Its basically always recording and deleting and it will only save a recording (automatically) if your X7 is in a car accident! It can also assist with theft as well

Sorry to throw a lot at you, but I hope this all helps! One thing I should tell you is that the 3/4 series (G2x) and the X7 (g07) forums are highly active and they (we) all go hard for one another and so feel free to ask us if you have any other questions - Technically I don't belong here being that I have a 330i (G20), but the X7 is one of my favorite models and so you'll see me on here every now and then! Hahaha

Cameron
Wow, thank you for all those details.

Gestures were on, I disabled them. I won't be using them and so the popups (which I also disabled) were not needed.

As far as the seat. I discovered that the lumbar support is not working either, I assume that is something that could interfere with the massage function.

I will look under the seat, and then drag my butt down to the dealer and see what they say. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on this, but massaging seats were a big selling point to me when picking this car (I come from a different German manufacturer in Ingolstadt) - thanks everyone, I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:34 PM   #8
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thank you for all those details.

Gestures were on, I disabled them. I won't be using them and so the popups (which I also disabled) were not needed.

As far as the seat. I discovered that the lumbar support is not working either, I assume that is something that could interfere with the massage function.

I will look under the seat, and then drag my butt down to the dealer and see what they say. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on this, but massaging seats were a big selling point to me when picking this car (I come from a different German manufacturer in Ingolstadt) - thanks everyone, I really appreciate it
Keep us posted. I’ve only read of one other failure of the lumbar on the x7 in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:09 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum. Try restarting iDrive and see if that makes a difference. Push and hill in the volume button for 30 seconds. It is easiest to do while driving since you get the feedback of the reboot starting when the screen goes black.