BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anti dazzle headlights and fog lamps

03-06-2023, 02:12 PM   #45
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
Coming back to this though, removing 5AP from the vehicle VO, then forcing a software update, is the only way to get partial anti-dazzle in an LCI today, correct?
No, I am certain that even that will NOT work (or will not fully* work). It will allow the lights to follow some form of anti-dazzle operation, but not to it's full capacity or operation. You will hardly get the same benefits of fully coding every single line. For the record, VO coding followed by software update will only switch 2 coding lines out of about 14-15 lines that you need to manually code. VO coding automatically encode "en*-code" one line in two modules, but not the rest. It might be better than nothing, but it won't give results close to that of complete coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:40 PM   #46
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
No, I am certain that even that will NOT work (or will not fully* work). It will allow the lights to follow some form of anti-dazzle operation, but not to it's full capacity or operation. You will hardly get the same benefits of fully coding every single line. For the record, VO coding followed by software update will only switch 2 coding lines out of about 14-15 lines that you need to manually code. VO coding automatically encode "en*-code" one line in two modules, but not the rest. It might be better than nothing, but it won't give results close to that of complete coding.
At the risk of sounding completely uninformed, do you have a better idea of what one should do for an LCI X7?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #47
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
At the risk of sounding completely uninformed, do you have a better idea of what one should do for an LCI X7?
problem is, not much can be done. the fdl coding needed to get full functionality is currently not possible.
the closest you can get with the LCI is to have the vo modified to remove 5AP and either an OTA update or dealer flash to enable it.

that will enable a basic form of antidazzle, but how far off it is from the full antidazzle is unknown on the LCI.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:51 PM   #48
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As others indicated, in the absence of FDL coding capability for LCI, there is nothing much that you could do. However, it may not be a bad idea to do VO coding followed by a software update to get basic anti-dazzle/glare operation (probably still better than nothing?).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:06 AM   #49
Phasers
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
As others indicated, in the absence of FDL coding capability for LCI, there is nothing much that you could do. However, it may not be a bad idea to do VO coding followed by a software update to get basic anti-dazzle/glare operation (probably still better than nothing?).
I think I will go this route. Someone offered to do the VO 5AP delete for only $50 once my '24 comes in.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 09:49 PM   #50
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Phasers did you have any success
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 04:20 AM   #51
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

I thought it might be worthwhile to add my thoughts re anti-dazzle, coming from a Laser light, ‘22 (pre-LCI) Euro spec X740d. The Automatic lights are great, better (IMO) than in my previous previous gen Macan and Panamera. They work very well on a mix of roads and lighting conditions (suburban, countryside) and the overall impact on nighttime visibility and safety is significant.

On the other hand… and this is what people may not want to hear, whether driving in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, or Austria, I am continually getting flashed by oncoming drivers who, despite the anti-dazzle feature clearly being enabled and not shining at their vehicle, still find the light to be too bright. So a lot of the time, the A gets shut off and I resort to manual use of the high beams.

Long story short, great technology that, like the lane assist and executive drive, has yet to be perfected.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2023, 10:30 AM   #52
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7 Recruit View Post
I thought it might be worthwhile to add my thoughts re anti-dazzle, coming from a Laser light, ‘22 (pre-LCI) Euro spec X740d. The Automatic lights are great, better (IMO) than in my previous previous gen Macan and Panamera. They work very well on a mix of roads and lighting conditions (suburban, countryside) and the overall impact on nighttime visibility and safety is significant.

On the other hand… and this is what people may not want to hear, whether driving in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, or Austria, I am continually getting flashed by oncoming drivers who, despite the anti-dazzle feature clearly being enabled and not shining at their vehicle, still find the light to be too bright. So a lot of the time, the A gets shut off and I resort to manual use of the high beams.

Long story short, great technology that, like the lane assist and executive drive, has yet to be perfected.
Some people flash not because the light is too bright, but because they see 4 lights (2 on each side) and automatically assume you have your high beams on.
Most cars only have 2 lights (1 on each side) for low beam and when high beam is on, 2 additional lights (total of 4) are lit up.
The pre LCI has 4 lights on for low beams, so many assume the X7 has high beams on when it really doesn't and flash.

I've had some neighbors come to me and ask if I knew my high beams were on. Once I showed them that even with low beams all 4 lights are lit, they then go "ahhh I saw 4 so automatically thought you had high beams on"
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2023, 11:58 AM   #53
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Follow up on VO coding approach for LCI. Very happy I did this, definitely works well and have yet to be flashed.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1885.50
      07-13-2023, 03:07 PM   #54
Phasers
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Phasers did you have any success
Tbh I forgot because I rarely drive at night.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1885.50
      07-13-2023, 08:19 PM   #55
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Are y'all getting anti dazzle on both headlamps? I VO coded + FDL coded mine recently. I can see the right high beam adjusting to stay just to the right of the car in front of me. But the left high beam still acts like the US spec version - it'll switch between completely on and completely off, it won't do the horizontal positioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:33 AM   #56
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Are y'all getting anti dazzle on both headlamps? I VO coded + FDL coded mine recently. I can see the right high beam adjusting to stay just to the right of the car in front of me. But the left high beam still acts like the US spec version - it'll switch between completely on and completely off, it won't do the horizontal positioning.
Am not sure why you all keep doing the VO coding as well. I have done FDL coding only on all my BMW, including the 5-series, X5 and X7... in all of them it worked just fine even when ignoring the VO coding.

Basically I would just do the same thing you all do (same FDL) and I would just skip VO steps.

Is it possible that VO coding is only so that the car headlights coding can service an OTA update? Because I am 100% the codes worked perfectly fine by just doing FDL!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 12:57 AM   #57
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Some people flash not because the light is too bright, but because they see 4 lights (2 on each side) and automatically assume you have your high beams on.
Most cars only have 2 lights (1 on each side) for low beam and when high beam is on, 2 additional lights (total of 4) are lit up.
The pre LCI has 4 lights on for low beams, so many assume the X7 has high beams on when it really doesn't and flash.

I've had some neighbors come to me and ask if I knew my high beams were on. Once I showed them that even with low beams all 4 lights are lit, they then go "ahhh I saw 4 so automatically thought you had high beams on"
While this may be the case Stateside, over here 4 lights are pretty normal - you won’t be surprised to hear that they sell a lot of beemers in Europe - as well as VWs (amongst others) with four lights. And as I had exactly the same problem with the Macan and the Panamera, I’m going to respectfully suggest that the issue has more to do with the tech not working and continuing to blind oncoming vehicles, than with driver’s ignorance of headlight patterns.
Appreciate 2