BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Engine Noise in LCI 40i not lifter or injector related

12-15-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Engine Noise in LCI 40i not lifter or injector related

So I have been debating putting this on here as I don’t want to scare off potential X7 40i buyers. The car has been great no issues what so ever. But wanted to get other 40i’s owners experiences as it could be a normal noise.

First off I had a 2020 40i X5 so I am very familiar with the B58 engine noise’s concerning lifters and injectors. This is a different sound.

So I am not sure if others are noticing the same thing.

here we go. I picked up the X7 at the end of October.
From day 1 there was a low end wrap or vibration/rubbing noise that I can hear when I am driving.
It starts happening at about 1,500 rpm and gets louder at 1,800-2,000 rpm during first gear and is more pronounced when going up a hill. Or when the vehicle engine is cold.

When you have it in park and hold engine rpm to the rpm range above the noise is not there. If you put it in drive and keep your foot on the brake the noise is there.

Seeing how the noise happens when the engine is under load and the tranny is not spinning I have it narrowed down to the engine or some accessory that is still moving/spinning.

I may also be thinking that it may be a knock from gas quality/octane but I only run 93 (premium in it) maybe I will switch fuel brands to see if that helps.

I Contacted my dealer and took another one out for a ride.

Interestingly enough the noise is there but it’s not nearly as noticeable as mine.

Sorry for the long post. And this is with the radio off. If it’s on in the background you can’t even hear the engine.

Last edited by Ace6180G07; 12-15-2022 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0