BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 LCI X7 40i Gone-Traded Too many issues

03-13-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

2023 LCI X7 40i Gone-Traded Too many issues

I wanted to share my story on my 2023 LCI X7. This in no way is meant to scare anyone about the X7. This is a community and I thought that users would appreciate this. Long post. But I wanted to get all the details in there.
Some of you might remember I was in QC for 42 days. Mine was one of the last ones to roll out with DHP on the 40i build before it became unavailable on the 40i. Ordered in August and Picked it up the end of October. .

My X7 currently has 5,000 miles on it. I finally decided to take it in for an engine noise that has been there since day one. Under light acceleration the engine would chatter/knock. Also when I first heard this noise I went back to the dealer and took out another X7 and the noise was NOT there.
Upon going into service I was dismissed immediately by the service advisor (who didn’t even drive it) that the noise was normal. I then demanded the service manager. The service manager went for a ride with me and says oh yeah I hear it that’s not normal. Then the technician took it for a ride and said that it’s normal.
I then went to another dealer to get a second opinion. They hear it and say if it’s not broke they can’t fix it.. regardless 2 dealers acknowledged that the noise is there. But neither offered to fix.. so what I’m just supposed to wait for something to happen and it strand me??

Also I’m beginning to have weird things happen. Rattles out of no where check engine lights, and software glitches that seem to go away after a restart. I even have the latest software. I was sure that these issues would have happened earlier in the mileage if they were going to happen at all. Now with increasing mileage it seems like that’s not true. So I’m done. I went through this with 3 different Range Rovers. I’d rather not go down this road again. I don’t have time for this and need a dependable vehicle. I was never as wowed as I thought I would be with the X7. Honestly I miss the X5 but have a bad taste in my mouth now with BMW.

Going back to Lexus for now new GX460. I realize that I’m loosing a bunch of tech and a stiffer ride etc.. I have had 2 of these in the past and they are bulletproof never any issues what so ever.. Yes not flashy or fast but is very trustworthy/reliable and that’s what I want right now. And not to mention they are pretty inexpensive compared to other vehicles out there and hold their value very well. And I have some other vehicles in my garage. So dropping the X7 was not a huge deal.

I can tell you that MSRP was 93k for the X7 I paid 91k for it and received (after negotiations) $88,500 for it for a trade in value. So not too bad. Drove it for 4 months and lost $2,500 trust me I would loose more than that to not deal with headaches… also if anyone is even thinking about getting rid of the 2023 then do it soon. Once the 2024’s are out the value will tank. There is a window now.
I will reinvestigate BMW down the road or perhaps go back to MB.

Thanks All. Again don’t want to scare anyone. Just sharing my experience.
Appreciate 11
abcsoup188.50
Brigitte484.50
srisri6.00
jphcbpa316.00
supdes48.00
BMW5and71068.50
rjabend369.50
iconoclast7265.50
alic9613.50
      03-13-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
I wanted to share my story on my 2023 LCI X7. This in no way is meant to scare anyone about the X7. This is a community and I thought that users would appreciate this. Long post. But I wanted to get all the details in there.
Some of you might remember I was in QC for 42 days. Mine was one of the last ones to roll out with DHP on the 40i build before it became unavailable on the 40i. Ordered in August and Picked it up the end of October. .

My X7 currently has 5,000 miles on it. I finally decided to take it in for an engine noise that has been there since day one. Under light acceleration the engine would chatter/knock. Also when I first heard this noise I went back to the dealer and took out another X7 and the noise was NOT there.
Upon going into service I was dismissed immediately by the service advisor (who didn’t even drive it) that the noise was normal. I then demanded the service manager. The service manager went for a ride with me and says oh yeah I hear it that’s not normal. Then the technician took it for a ride and said that it’s normal.
I then went to another dealer to get a second opinion. They hear it and say if it’s not broke they can’t fix it.. regardless 2 dealers acknowledged that the noise is there. But neither offered to fix.. so what I’m just supposed to wait for something to happen and it strand me??

Also I’m beginning to have weird things happen. Rattles out of no where check engine lights, and software glitches that seem to go away after a restart. I even have the latest software. I was sure that these issues would have happened earlier in the mileage if they were going to happen at all. Now with increasing mileage it seems like that’s not true. So I’m done. I went through this with 3 different Range Rovers. I’d rather not go down this road again. I don’t have time for this and need a dependable vehicle. I was never as wowed as I thought I would be with the X7. Honestly I miss the X5 but have a bad taste in my mouth now with BMW.

Going back to Lexus for now new GX460. I realize that I’m loosing a bunch of tech and a stiffer ride etc.. I have had 2 of these in the past and they are bulletproof never any issues what so ever.. Yes not flashy or fast but is very trustworthy/reliable and that’s what I want right now. And not to mention they are pretty inexpensive compared to other vehicles out there and hold their value very well. And I have some other vehicles in my garage. So dropping the X7 was not a huge deal.

I can tell you that MSRP was 93k for the X7 I paid 91k for it and received (after negotiations) $88,500 for it for a trade in value. So not too bad. Drove it for 4 months and lost $2,500 trust me I would loose more than that to not deal with headaches… also if anyone is even thinking about getting rid of the 2023 then do it soon. Once the 2024’s are out the value will tank. There is a window now.
I will reinvestigate BMW down the road or perhaps go back to MB.

Thanks All. Again don’t want to scare anyone. Just sharing my experience.
Did you sell it back to the dealer? How come you didn’t try to claim as lemon?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleric View Post
Did you sell it back to the dealer? How come you didn’t try to claim as lemon?
No, as my post states they never fixed anything so lemon can not be claimed. They have to at least attempt to repair it. All of the other issues above also. I wasn’t waiting around for the vehicle to leave me stranded. I traded it at a Lexus dealer.

I have been through this before with Range Rover. Don’t want to go down that road again.

This post was just to share my experience with the X7. I’m not bashing the X7 in any way. Just didn’t want to deal with the unforeseen issues that keep creeping up out of nowhere. Cut my losses and move on.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Sorry to hear that. I’ve been there before and had the same exact issues as you know, with the 2022 X7 (rattles, noises, wind noise) with no real fix whatsoever. BMW has a ton of work to finish their homework before losing more clients; things aren’t the same anymore am convinced. I didn’t have that many glitches and errors on the 22 as most LCIs are seeing now, but I spent a ton of time investigating all issues and can certainly relate to the increased road noise and rattle on most all BMWs (at least on the X5-X6 and X7) post covid. Despite not having software glitches, rattles and noise were enough for us to let it go.

As for the value, I agree on that note, although my case was 2022 so I had to digest a bit more depreciation than yours (luckily I had a huge MSRP discount that digested good portion of that). Still wish we had waited for 2023 2-3 months (but the front end was a no no for us) as it seems we would have gone through same exact disappointing experience anyway but at least would have sold it for slightly better value, but it is what it is (thanks BMW!!!).

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-13-2023 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:02 PM   #5
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I’ve been there before and had the same exact issues as you know, with the 2022 X7 (rattles, noises, wind noise) with no real fix whatsoever. BMW has a ton of work to finish their homework before losing more clients; things aren’t the same anymore am convinced. I didn’t have that many glitches and errors on the 22 as most LCI as seeing now, but I spent a ton of time investigating all issues and can certainly relate to the increased road noise and rattle on most all BMWs (at least on the X5-X6 and X7) post covid. Despite not having software glitches, rattles and noise were enough for us to let it go.

As for the value, I agree on that note, although my case was 2022 so I had to digest a bit more depreciation than yours (luckily I had a huge MSRP discount that digested good portion of that). Still wish we had waited for 2023 2-3 months (but the front end was a no no for us) as it seems we would have gone through same exact disappointing experience anyway but at least would have sold it for slightly better value, but it is what it is (thanks BMW!!!).

Agreed. I am hopeful to reinvestigate BMW down the road again at some point when this blows over.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 10:44 PM   #6
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
Ace6180G07 Sorry for what you went through, but I think you made the right decision to sell/trade the G07 LCI. If it's any consolation, my friend did the same: bought the 2023 X7 M60i in October 2022, had numerous and seemingly never-ending issues (and when there were no issues, there were software glitches), and then traded it out with its direct competitor across the street at Mercedes-Benz. Obviously, a lot more people are in ownership of G07 LCIs and have different experiences, like my other friend who has had his since Nov 2022 and has had no issues with his 2023 X7 xDrive40i.

One thing I have always wondered is how the pre-LCI G07s (2019 and 2020 model years, especially) compared, in terms of reliability when it came out. I don't quite have the time to take a trip down memory lane to the first pages of this forum to find out, so I'm hoping someone from back then can comment on that. It would make for an interesting comparison - for me, at least haha as I have a pre-LCI but am still very invested in the new LCIs.

At any rate, it's great you're no longer dealing with that. Even though, as you said, it's the right window of opportunity to get a good trade-in on 2023 X7s, I had no clue the trade-in value would still be that high. Losing only $2500 after 5k miles and almost 5 months, although less than ideal, is actually quite impressive!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:10 PM   #7
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

To answer the question above, the pre-LCI had issues at launch but they weren’t as bad as what we have seen with the LCI in the same timeframe.

Reliability seems to still be a hit or miss regardless on both versions. I have a 2020 M50i built in the very last week before the 2021s arrived and it’s been solid so far. I have noticed post pandemic the reliability in general has been lower but I am thinking that’s maybe due to part shortages and alternate part manufacturers being used… maybe.

I agree with the OP, once you see that level of trouble with a new BMW it’s time to try again. All brands are mostly like this, some worst or better than others, but regardless you can still tell a troubled vehicle and for peace of mind it’s not worth keeping it at that point. My rule is if it makes it through 3 years factory warranty with no issues it’s a keeper…if it starts acting up during that time it’s on my short list and could be replaced by something else more interesting.

The vehicles in my garage I love the most and kept the longest happen to also be the ones that are most reliable… loving feelings fade quickly when you’re constantly fixing any vehicle so it’s not a coincidence.

I hit my 3 yr mark in August with the X7 if it makes it there like it’s been doing it’s a keeper and will join my longer term vehicles.
Appreciate 6
jphcbpa316.00
007 G0745.50
Vivek.1367.50
alic9613.50
      03-13-2023, 11:14 PM   #8
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

Also I’m beginning to have weird things happen. Rattles out of no where check engine lights, and software glitches that seem to go away after a restart. I even have the latest software. I was sure that these issues would have happened [...]
Best wishes and I do recall you being struck in QC hell and thinking that you even cancelled the order at one point ?

I have owned a few Toyotas and they are very reliable but yes they are behind in the tech department. The GX is getting a total redesign for 2024 as the GX550
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 01:34 AM   #9
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphcbpa View Post
Best wishes and I do recall you being struck in QC hell and thinking that you even cancelled the order at one point ?

I have owned a few Toyotas and they are very reliable but yes they are behind in the tech department. The GX is getting a total redesign for 2024 as the GX550
Correct. I did cancel. Then the dealer called me and took $2,500 off to keep my business.

Yes the new GX is out 3rd quarter of this year. I’m interested in it. But a little gun shy now of a redesign. Especially because they are still having issues with the twin turbo V6 they plan on using.

So I’ll wait for a year after it comes out and go from there.
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa316.00
NGT25674.50
      03-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 G07 View Post
Ace6180G07 Sorry for what you went through, but I think you made the right decision to sell/trade the G07 LCI. If it's any consolation, my friend did the same: bought the 2023 X7 M60i in October 2022, had numerous and seemingly never-ending issues (and when there were no issues, there were software glitches), and then traded it out with its direct competitor across the street at Mercedes-Benz. Obviously, a lot more people are in ownership of G07 LCIs and have different experiences, like my other friend who has had his since Nov 2022 and has had no issues with his 2023 X7 xDrive40i.

One thing I have always wondered is how the pre-LCI G07s (2019 and 2020 model years, especially) compared, in terms of reliability when it came out. I don't quite have the time to take a trip down memory lane to the first pages of this forum to find out, so I'm hoping someone from back then can comment on that. It would make for an interesting comparison - for me, at least haha as I have a pre-LCI but am still very invested in the new LCIs.

At any rate, it's great you're no longer dealing with that. Even though, as you said, it's the right window of opportunity to get a good trade-in on 2023 X7s, I had no clue the trade-in value would still be that high. Losing only $2500 after 5k miles and almost 5 months, although less than ideal, is actually quite impressive!
Rock solid other than initial firmware updates in 2019 with iDrive 7 for minor tech issues. Nothing like we are seeing with the LCI. If you want to pick the best no compromise or reliability issues of the X7, the 2020 model year is by far the GOAT of the X7 currently. This is why I am keeping my 2020 X7 M50i long term.
The 2020 model year saw the introduction of the M50 V8TT and was built with the most opulent materials and most options in the optimal time in BMW manufacturing. After 2020 and including the LCI you can’t get a truly “fully optioned” X7 build.

Point of interest: The best vehicle in any manufacturer from VW, Ford, Ram to the high end Porsche, Ferrari, etc… is still a 2020 or earlier build. Covid ironically infected and compromised all vehicles currently built after that point in time due to parts and material shortages. Then there were the manufacturing personnel at that time were moved around doing multiple jobs many were not trained for giving subpar end results.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-14-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
NGT25674.50
007 G0745.50
      03-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Rock solid other than initial firmware updates in 2019 with iDrive 7 for minor tech issues. Nothing like we are seeing with the LCI. If you want to pick the best no compromise or reliability issues of the X7, the 2020 model year is by far the GOAT of the X7 currently. This is why I am keeping my 2020 X7 M50i long term.
The 2020 model year saw the introduction of the M50 V8TT and was built with the most opulent materials and most options in the optimal time in BMW manufacturing. After 2020 and including the LCI you can’t get a truly “fully optioned” X7 build.

Point of interest: The best vehicle in any manufacturer from VW, Ford, Ram to the high end Porsche, Ferrari, etc… is still a 2020 or earlier build. Covid ironically infected and compromised all vehicles currently built after that point in time due to parts and material shortages. Then there were the manufacturing personnel at that time were moved around doing multiple jobs many were not trained for giving subpar end results.
MystroX5: The lack of training for manufacturing personnel does not scare me that much. The one that am almost certain has impacted the X7 post covid is shortage of materials, leading to change in suppliers, and am almost certain the increased rattle/noise originates from a switch in sound insulation material quality and/or thickness. if anyone reads about sound insulation, you will notice how huge of an impact a good/bad insulator could have.

We can argue all day long that the newer ones are quite, but I bet if am given the chance to drive it I would tell the difference. I drove every single 2021+ X5/X6/X7 my local dealer has when I was dealing and fighting for the issues I had in my 2022. They proved me wrong, my 2022 was performing as designed (meaning, trash acoustic as designed per post covid standard!).

I have a decent db sound level meter by Reed Instruments (few hundreds of dollars, so this is not a cheap $20 Amazon). I use that to level/balance my home AC fan too. My 2019 X7 was recording ~67-68 db on average on a smooth road near my home. My 2022 X7 was recording close to 71-72 db. My service tech thinks am crazy as the difference is small. HOWEVER: 1. every single 2021+ X7 I had tested on their lot while fighting that issue recorded the same readings. too; 2. every 3-dB increase represents a doubling of the sound intensity. I sold it and will never look back at it or any other one in that timeframe until I myself confirm things went back to where they have been. I also heard and read on another post at that time I was dealing with all that that "Cars and Drive" reviewers did similar measurements and confirmed a 2db increase comparing early vs late model year buid but can't remember exact years tested. I told my service tech, decibels are on a logarithmic scale, and 2-3db represents a HUGE difference that is easily noticeable to the human ear when you have the baseline to compare to (u can't just drive one and say, hmmm, it's quite, or drive one and then test the other weeks later!). Rattles are a completely different subject of course; and I don't have a good reason why rattles increased.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-14-2023 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
abcsoup188.50
Vivek.1367.50
      03-14-2023, 10:56 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
MystroX5: The lack of training for manufacturing personnel does not scare me that much. The one that am almost certain has impacted the X7 post covid is shortage of materials, leading to change in suppliers, and am almost certain the increased rattle/noise originates from a switch in sound insulation material quality and/or thickness. if anyone reads about sound insulation, you will notice how huge of an impact a good/bad insulator could have.

We can argue all day wrong that the newer ones are quite, but I bit if am given the chance to drive it I would tell the difference. I drove every single 2021+ X5/X6/X7 my local dealer has when I was dealing and fighting for the issues I had in my 2022. They proved me wrong, my 2022 was performing as designed (meaning, trash acoustic as designed per post covid standard!).

I have a decent db sound level meter by Reed Instruments (few hundreds of dollars, so this is not a cheap $20 Amazon). I use that to level/balance my home AC fan too. My 2019 X7 was recording ~67-68 db on average on a smooth road near my home. My 2022 X7 was recording close to 71-72 db. My service tech thinks am crazy as the difference is small. HOWEVER: 1. every single 2021+ X7 I had tested on their lot while fighting that issue recorded the same readings. too; 2. every 3-dB increase represents a doubling of the sound intensity. I sold it and will never look back at it or any other one in that timeframe until I myself confirm things went back to where they have been. I also heard and read on another post at that time I was dealing with all that that "Cars and Drive" reviewers did similar measurements and confirmed a 2db increase comparing early vs late model year buid but can't remember exact years tested. I told my service tech, decibels are on a logarithmic scale, and 2-3db represents a HUGE difference that is easily noticeable to the human ear when you have the baseline to compare to (u can't just drive one and say, hmmm, it's quite, or drive one and then test the other weeks later!). Rattles are a completely different subject of course; and I don't have a good reason why rattles increased.
The dealership and service dept new tactics is to lower the bar and accept a new lower standard and fain ignorance than what it was in pre 2021 vehicles. Its their only tactic to keep selling cars and try to get customers to forget about better made vehicles only 2 years ago and sell them a newer model. Its sad and like shaking your car keys with your left hand in front of a baby to distract it so you can give it a shot with your right hand. That is what all this funky new styling is in my mind. Lets distract the customer with even more pretty lights inside so they dont notice excessive road/wind noise or cheaper build materials and less options.

I have a friend that is very high up in one particular German car manufacture. The inside stories that I cant repeat publicly is alarming with how desperate they were/are to just put out cars to keep the perception going. This was during covid up and including now.
On a similar theme, my inside BMW dealer friends are terrified with the raised interest rates and lack of any new 7 series interest by even their core 7 series buyers.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-14-2023 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 6
BMW5and71068.50
abcsoup188.50
jphcbpa316.00
NGT25674.50
007 G0745.50
alic9613.50
      03-14-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Doing some quick searches on X7 reliability you find recalls and issues with every model year. Even the famed 2020 model years. With all of that data out there most experts still rate the X7 as among the most reliable large SUVs on the market, most likely because the other players in the market are experiencing even more issues. There are some people on this forum that are now speaking matter-of-factly about how 2023's are lemons and BMW has gone down the toilet. Give me a break. What are you bored MB lovers just on here to troll everyone? Do you have data to back up your claims? Maybe you're right and all of us 2023 owners are doomed, whether we know it or not. But I would venture a guess that your comments are anecdotal and not based on actual data. I mean, I don't really care either way. I own one and if there's issues I'll have to deal with it. But I'm not going to run to trade it in before it bursts into flames on me and I'm not going to drive around with the radio off listening for imaginary rattles either. So far, I almost always have a shit eating grin on my face every time I'm behind the wheel.
Appreciate 3
NGT25674.50
alic9613.50
      03-14-2023, 02:10 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Doing some quick searches on X7 reliability you find recalls and issues with every model year. Even the famed 2020 model years. With all of that data out there most experts still rate the X7 as among the most reliable large SUVs on the market, most likely because the other players in the market are experiencing even more issues. There are some people on this forum that are now speaking matter-of-factly about how 2023's are lemons and BMW has gone down the toilet. Give me a break. What are you bored MB lovers just on here to troll everyone? Do you have data to back up your claims? Maybe you're right and all of us 2023 owners are doomed, whether we know it or not. But I would venture a guess that your comments are anecdotal and not based on actual data. I mean, I don't really care either way. I own one and if there's issues I'll have to deal with it. But I'm not going to run to trade it in before it bursts into flames on me and I'm not going to drive around with the radio off listening for imaginary rattles either. So far, I almost always have a shit eating grin on my face every time I'm behind the wheel.
Life goes on. Assuming u hinted some comments towards me; the sensitive emotional owners again can’t take/accept/hear all opinions without getting aggressive - don’t take it personally; it’s a car! Not one of our kids/pets. Who cares anyway, free speech to both of us but don’t point words towards me; point it towards the brand. Forums aren’t the best place if u take things emotional or in a sensitive manner, plus I have no interest to help or share data/resources to back any claim whatsoever in the presence of such behavior. Maybe I would for others.

OP shared his personal experience, others chimed it with their story as well, and I did the same too, Mystro chimed in, we all have experiences and it’s a forum to share thoughts and opinions. If you are not ready to hear it all, maybe watch some nice youtube reviews that are paid by BMW to only praise any vehicle u like if that makes u feel better. Forums are forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 02:31 PM   #15
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Life goes on. Assuming u hinted some comments towards me; the sensitive emotional owners again can’t take/accept/hear all opinions without getting aggressive - don’t take it personally; it’s a car! Not one of our kids/pets. Who cares anyway, free speech to both of us but don’t point words towards me; point it towards the brand. Forums aren’t the best place if u take things emotional or in a sensitive manner, plus I have no interest to help or share data/resources to back any claim whatsoever in the presence of such behavior. Maybe I would for others.

OP shared his personal experience, others chimed it with their story as well, and I did the same too, Mystro chimed in, we all have experiences and it’s a forum to share thoughts and opinions. If you are not ready to hear it all, maybe watch some nice youtube reviews that are paid by BMW to only praise any vehicle u like if that makes u feel better. Forums are forums.
Dude, I'm just asking, is there data to back up all the lemon talk? That's all. Don't take it personal, I'm just asking because it seems to be decided upon now, that the 2023s have nothing but problems. Where is it coming from? Data, or just comments on this forum?
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-14-2023, 02:42 PM   #16
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Here's how Mystro chimed in "Rock solid other than initial firmware updates in 2019 with iDrive 7 for minor tech issues. Nothing like we are seeing with the LCI"
BS. Look it up. There were recalls and other issues reported too. Fine, there is with every vehicle. But the sentiment is that the 2020s are perfect and the LCIs are junk. Talk about being emotional! You guys are relaying your personal experience and nothing more. And when I do that I get told I'm too sensitive. LOL!
From what I saw when I was searching, the 2019s were the least reliable. But you're on here saying they were far more reliable than the 2022s. Are you sure about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 02:46 PM   #17
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Dude, I'm just asking, is there data to back up all the lemon talk? That's all. Don't take it personal, I'm just asking because it seems to be decided upon now, that the 2023s have nothing but problems. Where is it coming from? Data, or just comments on this forum?
Both points are valid, agree, don't take it personal, but I am seeing a lot of 2023 is not a good product from people.

I would like to see how many delivered vs problems but not sure that data exists anywhere yet for the 2023 MY.

I do think we hear from the minority with problems as most people with x7's don't know this forum exists.

The OP posted his thoughts and is done with the brand. Thanks for the post and awareness and totally understand your move away.

I have a 24 on order and hope it's a quality product. If not, then I will move on as well. I will say all my other BMW's have been rock solid including my 2023 iX.
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71068.50
alic9613.50
      03-14-2023, 08:23 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

How about forum experience and ownership experience. I was at the ground floor of the 2019 G05/G07 working with BMW advanced tech support working out iDrive 7 firmware bugs. Investing a stupid amount of time for free with BMW and common forum reported issues. I have a hell of a lot more experience with this platform than the average buyer. There were also a few of us forum members in the very beginning that worked tirelessly on issues for other members to solve them. We were beta testers and BMW took advantage of that data pool. Even acting as a liaison between BMW advanced tech and forum members with issues we knew we were trying to solve. After awhile I could make a pretty good educated guess if the issue was common or an anomaly with the G05/G07.
I just don’t walk in off the playground blindly giving my opinion with the X5/X7 model year issues. This came from years of what members were reporting and the common issue that would come up. I can tell you the issues the LCI are having are NOT even close to the same reported forum issues the first 3 years we were seeing. They are a different level of issues like drivetrain malfunctions or being bricked and needing towed compared to nuisance issues like random iDrive 7 reboots, slow window motors, phone pairing, navigation accuracy issues, etc….

Certainly there would be a weird problem come up but we are seeing patterns of issues directly unique to the LCI and the nature in which its transmission and drivetrain are now designed. It is what it is.
Anyone looking for statistics ain’t gonna find them because you don’t have BMW service report access. All most forum members can do is take a look at forum reports with how many issues over the last few years and make an educated guess if a particular model has chronic issues of a “serious nature”.
New owners come here to this forum to solve issues so we see them more just by that factor alone. If we start seeing “Drivetrain Malfunction” errors with one particular model year and not the ones before it, then that is a model specific major issue. It’s not in the same league of saying “all vehicles have some issues” as minor nuisance issues don’t brick the vehicle and need towed to a service center.

Personally I know how important having faith in reliability with a vehicle is as I have owned a Range Rover from hell and once you start to feel it could leave you stranded is the time they need to go at any cost.
This forum is filled with multiple ownership experience beyond the honeymoon stage so that is a great source of first hand knowledge for new owners to tap into.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-14-2023 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 4
BMW5and71068.50
007 G0745.50
Vivek.1367.50
      03-14-2023, 10:51 PM   #19
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I bought a used 2020, manufactured date before 6/20, because I wanted the ability to flash tune. However, during my search for an X7, the 2020 year was considered the perfect year because of all the available option. I can't say much for reliability. I'm almost at 50k miles from 15k miles. Only issue I've had was a dead fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 11:00 PM   #20
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

This forum seems to lean heavily towards reports of problems in most areas and rightfully so. Most owners come here to report problems and find answers to problems they are having. It’s not like all the owners who don’t have any issues with their X7 come here and post about all the great things then make blanket statements about all X7s being great. Yet reports of problems from like less than 1% of the X7 owner pool equates to by far the most negative statements I’ve seen about a brand and specific model from a select few users here.
I have not seen this on any other car forum I’ve been on.

OPs post was well balanced and shared his personal experience without making any blanket statements about the 10K-15K other X7 LCIs sold since it was introduced.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-14-2023, 11:25 PM   #21
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Correct. I did cancel. Then the dealer called me and took $2,500 off to keep my business.

Yes the new GX is out 3rd quarter of this year. I’m interested in it. But a little gun shy now of a redesign. Especially because they are still having issues with the twin turbo V6 they plan on using.

So I’ll wait for a year after it comes out and go from there.
I think this is a good call. And I’m sorry about your troubles.

We had a Lexus RX for 5 years and it was great. Needed a third row, got a 2022 GX460. At the same time, I got a 2018 CPO 540.

Lexus GX (at least through 2023) is bullet proof. No doubt. Big, sturdy, bullet proof. My problem with it was the lack of drive assist tech and the ride/slow acceleration. I’m pretty sure it drinks more gas than my 2016 Tahoe did. I can tell you already know these things - I’m not trying to discourage you, I think you made a solidly informed decision.

Anyway, I was very comfortable with the B58 I6 engine and researched the X7 and we ended up trading it back (for almost the purchase price) in October for a CPO 2021 X7 40i from the same dealership group (Sewell group in Dallas - BMW of Grapevine). So far, our 2021 has been a dream. No issues. At the time, I hated that a new 2023 was out of the budget. After reading about some of the issues, I’m glad we got what we got.

Lastly - I agree with you on the new Toyota engine. I’ve heard of issues with that and I’d like to see them work it out. I did consider waiting for the 2024 to come out. Like you said, significantly lower price point and we could order one brand new. But I didn’t want to get caught up in the first year of a new model with a new engine. I’m happy with the 3rd year model BMW X7. Maybe it was long enough into the model to work out kinks and built before the Covid issues hampered quality (if that’s the case). It is missing HK stereo and head up display because of the shortages, I think. Either that or it’s the oddest spec’d car I’ve ever seen. Beautiful though.

I hope you enjoy your Lexus and appreciate you sharing your experience. My wife has fallen in love with the X7 and she also likes my 5 series (upgraded that ‘18 540 to a ‘20 550). But I won’t be shocked at all if she wants to make another run at Lexus in a few years. Especially if the new powertrain and tech prove to be as reliable as the stuff being phased out.

For what it’s worth, I’ve got friends with issues on new Fords, Chevys, heard about issues with Tundra. Most of the problem is that an issue arises, they know how to fix it, but there are no parts to replace the defective ones with. The car world is definitely still feeling the Covid pain.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-15-2023, 06:51 AM   #22
jomkapat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Merc GLC, 2024 X7

wanted to get some thoughts. Would anyone recommend GLS450 over x7 40? I was close to place a GLS order but decided to go with MY24 x7. Not sure if I should reconsider and go back to MB house.
Appreciate 0