E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure...again

07-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
HPFP failure...again

That's right boys and girls, I was able to get a whole ~3k miles out of my "new and improved" HPFP. The original one was replaced at nearly 40k on the dot.

I experienced a completely random limp mode while slowing idling along in a parking lot about a week ago, but it didn't concern me as the car was not acting strange, and none of the usual symptoms were present. I got in my car today after taking a friend to check out a new Mustang GT and immediately upon startup the car began doing the exact same thing as last time: popping out the intake (no doubt from running lean), would barely idle, limp mode sign immediately on dash, and finally on restart about 3-4 seconds of starter time before it would fire off. I was able to limp the car a few miles down the road to the closest BMW dealership this time, instead of complete failure of the pump in about 20 secs while occurred prior.

Anyway, I'm now stuck some distance away from home while I wait on my car to hopefully be fixed tomorrow. Looks like a very non-vacation day will have to be used tomorrow for work

BTW, my car has been modified in some way, shape, or form for more power since about 3k on the ODO. I do not think that the power modifications had anything to do with it, and I am not using fuel pressure modification for fuel enrichment as my car is pre 29.2
      07-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

There crap.. mine gave out about 2k miles ago, i hope this "New" and improved one would be reliable but i guess, its not working as good as bmw thought it would.
      07-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

it appears to me that for some reason the people who

1. never experience HPFP issues, seems to not experience it period...

2. experience HPFP issues, and have replaced the HPFP, is more likely and has a higher chance than the people in #1 to replace it again.

Anyone see this trend?? I mean, I see more "HPFP again!" threads than I see "My first HPFP failed"
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
LZM Ray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i MSport AlpineWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post

2. experience HPFP issues, and have replaced the HPFP, is more likely and has a higher chance than the people in #1 to replace it again.

Anyone see this trend?? I mean, I see more "HPFP again!" threads than I see "My first HPFP failed"
+1 thats what i was thinking too. hope i am part of your #1 category... 5000miles and still going
MY 09 335i XDrive coupe | Montego BLue | 6MT |
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
gt3fever
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, G87

Im in the same boat as you.

on my 2ND fuel pump, but recently starting getting limp mode ! will bring it in tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Nightfly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' E93

Quote:

Put me in the "My first HPFP failed" list.

6K miles... On a road trip, Grayson doing replacement as I write.

Mentioned to the SA, if you do a cost per mile evaluation I might have been better off buying time on a Gulfstream jet....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

I would like to see the amount of HPFP failures with absolutely NO MODS to the car. I'd like to see if these things really fail under normal conditions or if there is a correlation to upping horsepower and driving them hard.
      07-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

I had mine fail for the first time about 2 weeks ago. No mods.

Does the 135 have the same problem? Can we borrow theirs?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Got my first, unconfirmed, failure on Friday night. I've been experiencing long cranks for probably a month or so, then Friday night got the dreaded half power display, limped on to my destination no really discernible problem as it ws heavy traffic. Upon restart no error display and no more long cranks. Never the less I will be taking it in this week for a check so we'll see. Oh and no mods installed yet they've been sitting in the box waiting since I got the long cranks right before delivery, car has 6800 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Hyper psi-atic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport, 6MT, AW/CR

Quote:

This is a good theory to investigate. If there is any correllation regarding increased probability for repeat failure, we might actually begin to have some new data regarding a possible trigger/cause as the replacement part alone could not be the only variable. It is likely to assume it is hit or miss with the part itself causing the strange ratio, but it would be a stronger cooincidence for a large number of cars to have a repeat failure without a balance in the ratio of car receiving their first failure.

This would be hard to gauge because we would not be able to gain all of the N54 owner's data unless they were member's of this forum and contributed to a Poll thread that potentially ran for a long-term (say 12-36 months)

Sucks but, unless a class-action law suit brings this to light or BMW comes out of the closet with hard facts, we may never know......
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

I think I am in category 1 (for now) Build Date of 01/2008, 22k on the odo and no known failures... Of course you never know, mine will probably go bad either when the originally warranty expires or my CPO warranty expires (hopefully the latter)

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I am interested to see if this happens in Germany. Do they use ethanol in Germany?

I am starting to wonder if it is our gas quality causing our fuel-pumps to fail. My SES light came on just the other day. Car felt like it was in "limp mode" but no half-engine icon and it was shaking violently. Got to take it in ASAP. This only happens when my engine oil gets close to 245-250. I have the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
I have been in Germany for about 2 years and since ordering and buying my U.S. Spec 335, I have been tracking the HPFP issue (probably for about the last six months or so). There are a lot of military here that have 335's, but I do know of one guy that has a 2008 that had the failure. He was around 7,500 miles. Took it to our local BMW dealer and they changed it that day, so obviously they have some in stock. I haven't heard of any others though, but like I said, I have only been watching for the last six months.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
mvestor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E92 M3, E86 M

What is so odd about the problem is that a percentage of people never seem to have the problem. A family member has one of the early E93 335s with about 9k on the odometer and has never had a lick of trouble.

Almost makes you wonder whether or not the problem is confined to the HPFP or if it is a combination of parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Quote:

Since you mentioned it It made me wonder whether I should mentioned to SA when I take my car for 15K scheduled service tomorrow. It is Jan 2008 built and from time to time I get long cranks (5-10 seconds or so) with cold engine. Or I should wait until it totally gives up??? Any thougths??? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
Since you mentioned it It made me wonder whether I should mentioned to SA when I take my car for 15K scheduled service tomorrow. It is Jan 2008 built and from time to time I get long cranks (5-10 seconds or so) with cold engine. Or I should wait until it totally gives up??? Any thougths??? Thanks
Definitely tell your SA.
Maybe they have a presuure test or something to check the HPFP.
Let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
Definitely tell your SA.
Maybe they have a presuure test or something to check the HPFP.
Let us know what happens.
OK. I will. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:

Since you mention it I have the same build month and mentioned it to the SA when I took the car in for a minor warranty annoyance and was basically told no codes no test no fix. Well now a couple months later, lot's of long cranks and one half power error. It will go in this week sometime, once I'm home and we'll see what comes of it. I only drive it on weekends but one thing I always wondered concerning the ratio of those who get the error and those who don't is driving style? I flog the crap out of mine, always DS mode and lots of manual shifting on the AT. I'm very curious if people who that have a higher incidence of failure than those who simply put it in D and putt around?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Quote:
Definitely tell your SA about it. If you get those long cranks, you probably have a few 2AAF Fuel Pump Plausibility codes stored. They probably will not replace it on the spot, but it helps to have this stuff on record for when your HPFP really does fail
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Since you mention it I have the same build month and mentioned it to the SA when I took the car in for a minor warranty annoyance and was basically told no codes no test no fix. Well now a couple months later, lot's of long cranks and one half power error. It will go in this week sometime, once I'm home and we'll see what comes of it. I only drive it on weekends but one thing I always wondered concerning the ratio of those who get the error and those who don't is driving style? I flog the crap out of mine, always DS mode and lots of manual shifting on the AT. I'm very curious if people who that have a higher incidence of failure than those who simply put it in D and putt around?
I don't think it has anything to do with your drving style excluding those who drive at 6500rpm for long period of time. I read in another thread that brand new 7 series had 2 fuld pump fail in couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Yea but as mentioned earlier. I had not gotten my first until two weeks ago and I have 31k on the clock. That means for basically the first 30k I had no hpfp issues....explain that.

I'd love to open one up and play with it but not chancing it with mine...just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
Nightfly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
Put me in the "My first HPFP failed" list.

6K miles... On a road trip, Grayson doing replacement as I write.

Mentioned to the SA, if you do a cost per mile evaluation I might have been better off buying time on a Gulfstream jet....
UPDATE:

I'm back on the road, things are running well. Dealer could not pin it on the pump, they seem to believe it was the #1 coil loose, but there were "lack of fuel" codes thrown as well. Guess they just jiggered things around... whatever.

They couldn't have been nicer, it's all on record at this point. SA said he's confident I'll be fine for the trip or he wouldn't have released the car. I have no reason not to take him at his word. Other than the five hours of my vacation I'll not get back, it's not worth blowing a heart valve over...
Appreciate 0