BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Shocked: Test drove this weekend and got turned off of the V8!

01-30-2024, 12:59 PM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollanyc View Post
The hours that I spent on here had me convinced that if I drove the M60i I was going to fall in love and pay whatever it cost. In my test drive this weekend, however, the V8 tuning felt too aggressive for that vehicle (for me) and I'm leaning B58 for my upcoming purchase!

Don't get me wrong, it was super fun, but that engine sound never goes away, and the pop and crackles just seemed a bit out of character for a luxury 3 row. I realized I just want it to be "sporty" in handling and looks, BUT would prefer it be quieter, have longer range on a tank, and have the more reliable B58.

I rented a '23 V6 this coming weekend to live with it and make sure that I'm choosing well.

Other note, if I couldn't get DHP/IAS on the 40i that would be different but I can now. Anything else I'm missing here?

Also, for reference, I have a 911 for weekends so this isn't my spirited driving vehicle....but I still thought that I'd want it.

Would love any hot takes from those in the know. Thanks
Curious what leads you to believe the B58 is more reliable (especially in its hybrid form)?

I think you are looking at the X7 the wrong way and not seeing the potential.
Anyway you can turn off the fake noise track if it’s overbearing and just hear the natural V8TT sound. I honestly can’t believe anyone with a Porsche 911 would have the opinion their luxury SUV is “too aggressive”, especially one that has such an opulent ride. Thats like saying you have “too much money and it’s all tax free”. That’s just crazy talk. Do you know how rare it is to get a full size flagship SUV with some muscle these days that doesn’t ride too stiff yet still handles?

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-30-2024 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2024, 01:28 PM   #24
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Coming from a Porsche Cayenne with 500hp (and about 700lbs lighter), I was concerned that my pre-LCI 40i would feel like a dog. I've been pretty surprised at how well this engine punches above it's weight.

I threw the MHD stage 1 tune on it and now it leaves nothing to be desired. A V8 would be nice, but the added weight and reduction in fuel economy wouldn't be worthwhile. Being a torque-fiend, that's never something I thought I'd say. The B58 is a gem.
      01-30-2024, 03:49 PM   #25
GCR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
Coming from a Porsche Cayenne with 500hp (and about 700lbs lighter), I was concerned that my pre-LCI 40i would feel like a dog. I've been pretty surprised at how well this engine punches above it's weight.

I threw the MHD stage 1 tune on it and now it leaves nothing to be desired. A V8 would be nice, but the added weight and reduction in fuel economy wouldn't be worthwhile. Being a torque-fiend, that's never something I thought I'd say. The B58 is a gem.
I have to agree. My wife's daily (and our road trip vehicle) '19 B58 with a Noelle Performance Software suite surprises a lot of people with 440hp and 445lb/ft. We just spent a few days on the Gulf Coast, drove down in atrocious conditions, headwinds and heavy rain and made no attempt at economy driving. Average for the whole trip (hand calculated) was 24.6mpg, including 4 days of local driving. I get to drive them all in my business, and there's no doubt that while the V8's have more grunt throughout the rev range, the B58 (tuned) isn't far behind. Given the reliability of the B58 and the fuel mileage it yields, it's my preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:16 PM   #26
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade ESV, M4, Range Rover

I’ve got a 2019 40i that I bought new 5 years ago - no regrets with the engine - it’s been silky smooth and worry free - i think it suits the X7 - I have an M4 convertible for fun driving - save the money and put it toward a true sports car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:55 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollanyc View Post
My guess is that the plug in range would be really bad with the worse drag and the extra weight. I'm with you though. Feels like everyone in my town would buy one.
The G67 will have at least one PHEV. The V8 will be gone and the M60e will be the top model.
jphcbpa316.00
      01-30-2024, 08:14 PM   #28
itiongo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I don't know about you guys, but driving on ECO mode, I barely hear the motor/exhaust and the ride is much smoother. A lot of people always say they purchased the 40i because the mpg is much better. However, the difference is not that big. The biggest mpg difference between the 40i and M50i is how people drive it. I'm able to hit 17-19mpg in city roads driving like a grandma.

The X7's interior quality is nice, but 90% of peeps who own semi luxury cars don't care or can't even tell the difference, and won't pay the extra premium for the higher quality. You'd be surprised at how nice cheap SUV interiors are these days (Like them Korean SUVs).

To me, the biggest difference between an X7 and 99% of other SUV's in its class, is the performance. When it comes strait down to just raw power, there are not a lot of other rivals for the X7.
Appreciate 1
MR_M2522.00
      01-30-2024, 09:12 PM   #29
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

We have 2500 miles on our 2024 40i. I've never driven the M60 and while I'd love to have an M60 badge on my car, I didn't want to spend $15k-20k more just to have the badge. I only did a few test drives on 40i's and also rented one for a few days to live with it

For me, the 40i's B58 has way more than enough power, it is good to have better gas mileage, better range, lower insurance and lower service costs. Honestly, I'm not sure if I have done a full acceleration on my car yet. I guess it is just my style of appreciating the X7's refinement and quietness.

I also see many posts of owners/potential owners complaining about the M60 tune at slow speeds. They report acceleration feels weird or that there is a lack of power at slow speeds. Of course, after certain speed, the story is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:05 PM   #30
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
We have 2500 miles on our 2024 40i. I've never driven the M60 and while I'd love to have an M60 badge on my car, I didn't want to spend $15k-20k more just to have the badge. I only did a few test drives on 40i's and also rented one for a few days to live with it

For me, the 40i's B58 has way more than enough power, it is good to have better gas mileage, better range, lower insurance and lower service costs. Honestly, I'm not sure if I have done a full acceleration on my car yet. I guess it is just my style of appreciating the X7's refinement and quietness.

I also see many posts of owners/potential owners complaining about the M60 tune at slow speeds. They report acceleration feels weird or that there is a lack of power at slow speeds. Of course, after certain speed, the story is different.
Wait till you have some good behind the wheel time in M60i. There is a good chance your whole logic will be out of the window. I say that with my personal experience. Honestly when I was pulling the trigger I thought same about XB7 that it is just a badge and I can any day tune M50i to deliver additional hp. But after I spent some decent time in XB7 I could feel the upgrade. No doubt there is badge factor. Heck most bmw owners buy bmw for badge(myself included)
Appreciate 2
BMWX735.50
ledphut221.50
      01-30-2024, 11:38 PM   #31
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Code ASD off and you’re good to go. My 2020 m50i is loud and annoying inside with it on, quite quiet with it disabled. It’s an idiotic thing to have on the car and should have a menu option to fully disable it, but there isn’t one. Setting the noise to “eco” simply lowers the volume—you want it turned entirely off
      01-31-2024, 06:08 AM   #32
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
Code ASD off and you’re good to go. My 2020 m50i is loud and annoying inside with it on, quite quiet with it disabled. It’s an idiotic thing to have on the car and should have a menu option to fully disable it, but there isn’t one. Setting the noise to “eco” simply lowers the volume—you want it turned entirely off
Since coding is locked, this sadly is no longer an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:24 AM   #33
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

The M60i is a beast for a large SUV. If money wasn’t a factor we’d own one instead of the 40i. Even my wife felt the performance was measurable. The reality was although we wanted the added performance we didn’t need it since it was her daily driver. The added upfront cost, gas mileage, insurance, annual property taxes and etc didn’t make it a sensible decision. If you can swing the price difference and carrying cost I’d say get the M60i. The 40i is a great vehicle nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
BMWX735.50
      01-31-2024, 09:15 AM   #34
abcsoup
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Since coding is locked, this sadly is no longer an option.
Luckily, you can disable ASD via ID8+ in the LCI (by disabling Iconic Sounds). I don't believe this was an option in ID7.

With mine off, it's much quieter and more enjoyable to use Sport mode. I can still hear the V8 when the RPMs rise, although it's much more muted as expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #35
SurlyGerman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Porsche 911 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Curious what leads you to believe the B58 is more reliable (especially in its hybrid form)?

I think you are looking at the X7 the wrong way and not seeing the potential.
Anyway you can turn off the fake noise track if it’s overbearing and just hear the natural V8TT sound. I honestly can’t believe anyone with a Porsche 911 would have the opinion their luxury SUV is “too aggressive”, especially one that has such an opulent ride. Thats like saying you have “too much money and it’s all tax free”. That’s just crazy talk. Do you know how rare it is to get a full size flagship SUV with some muscle these days that doesn’t ride too stiff yet still handles?
Fellow x7 and 911 owner here. Agree with the v8tt being "too aggressive". However that may not be a great way to word it. I would say it feels like it is trying to be something it isn't. As many have said, i think it all comes down to personal preference and what else is in your garage. If our other car was a Camry, I'm sure I'd be all over the m50i.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:16 AM   #36
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I can understand the OP here.

I have the X7 with V8... and the X5 with B58.

Sometimes I just feel the X5 with B58 is better when I'm heading to work early in the morning, or just want a quite late afternoon drive. The V8 in the X7 is designed to be a bit too loud for all kind of modes.

Having said that, if I had one SUV only, I would still go with V8. But there are certainly times where I feel I'd rather take our X5 with the B58 than the X7 with V8 to avoid headache and overly loud drive.

Also for road trips, the B8 is such a smooth quite engine and I did not appreciate it until I had one with B58. Maybe my experience is not relevant because the X5 by nature is more concise and quite anyway yet with B58 it makes it so much pleasure and quite compared to our X7 with the V8.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:39 PM   #37
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Guy here with one SUV, one vehicle to be exact that I drive. I have others, but our kids drive them.

I have an M60i now. I've had the 40i as loaner, both the pre-LCI and LCI versions. BMW Plano does a great job with loaners and has a great selection.

The 40i is good...really good at low speeds, city driving, start/stop, and so forth. This accounts for about 60-80% of driving most people do. Now, where it starts to show it's weakness is on the highway at speed...it just can't accelerate fast enough from like 70-90mph...it loses it's momentum. Now, you probably won't need that type of acceleration all that much, but when you do need it, you'll be glad it's there. I've had to use it quite a few times to get out of some sketchy situations on the highway.

Everyone says it's $15-$20K more, but is it really? Only if you plan to pay in cash or pay the loan off and never sell or trade it in...then you're out the $15-$20K. But I plan to trade or sell in a few years. It may cost me $8-$10K more in actual ownership cost.

I'm sure most people get this, but I'll give an example of our M50i we had. I paid $105K for it. Used it for a year, put 20,000 miles on it...traded it in for $100K. My actual cost of the vehicle was only $5K for that year of use. That's how I look at things...it was $15K more than the 40i at MSRP, but I in no way paid $15K more during my use of it.

As a matter of fact, if I would have bought the 40i at that time instead, and then traded that in after a year, my cost of ownership would have been higher. The dealer I traded the M50i at was really only looking for an M50i...had zero interest in the 40i...the depreciation would have been higher and in turn my ownership cost would have gone up.

I know I won't get the same kinda deal on the M60i given the car market has changed since the lockdown. But I still won't be out of pocket $15-$20K over a 40i.

Last edited by Saejin; 02-07-2024 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
XM Label931.50
      02-08-2024, 05:46 AM   #38
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Guy here with one SUV, one vehicle to be exact that I drive. I have others, but our kids drive them.

I have an M60i now. I've had the 40i as loaner, both the pre-LCI and LCI versions. BMW Plano does a great job with loaners and has a great selection.

The 40i is good...really good at low speeds, city driving, start/stop, and so forth. This accounts for about 60-80% of driving most people do. Now, where it starts to show it's weakness is on the highway at speed...it just can't accelerate fast enough from like 70-90mph...it loses it's momentum. Now, you probably won't need that type of acceleration all that much, but when you do need it, you'll be glad it's there. I've had to use it quite a few times to get out of some sketchy situations on the highway.

Everyone says it's $15-$20K more, but is it really? Only if you plan to pay in cash or pay the loan off and never sell or trade it in...then you're out the $15-$20K. But I plan to trade or sell in a few years. It may cost me $8-$10K more in actual ownership cost.

I'm sure most people get this, but I'll give an example of our M50i we had. I paid $105K for it. Used it for a year, put 20,000 miles on it...traded it in for $100K. My actual cost of the vehicle was only $5K for that year of use. That's how I look at things...it was $15K more than the 40i at MSRP, but I in no way paid $15K more during my use of it.

As a matter of fact, if I would have bought the 40i at that time instead, and then traded that in after a year, my cost of ownership would have been higher. The dealer I traded the M50i at [...]
40i is a great car for most people but for those who want or need extra power (towing, accelerating, etc) V8 is no brainer minus cost of course. I have driven both, wife fine with six cylinder but I love the V8 and since I drive her car sometimes we went with 8 cylinder so I can have some fun…
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:58 AM   #39
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
My last "challenge", lol, before I traded the X7 M60i was from a stop to 145 mph with a dodge challenger r/t scat pack. Dead even to 145mph when we had to let off. *closed road, of course, with ambulance waiting at the end for all you safety nannies*
I’d have thought you would’ve gapped him by a good margin. Especially given the AWD vs RWD factor.

I’ve smoked several Mopar products from a dig and at speed on the highway in the XB7.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #40
omnid00d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Now, where it starts to show it's weakness is on the highway at speed...it just can't accelerate fast enough from like 70-90mph...it loses it's momentum. Now, you probably won't need that type of acceleration all that much, but when you do need it, you'll be glad it's there. I've had to use it quite a few times to get out of some sketchy situations on the highway.
This is where my M50i earns its keep, sometimes on the highway, I want to pass a 3-4 cars and it's fun to see how quickly my M50i can hit 90-100 to pass them. I don't do it often but when I want to, damn it feels nice and ppl in the car don't really notice given how quiet and stable the X7 is. I haven't spent much time on a 40i but I did enjoy that time. My previous car is the XC90, that thing totally peters out at 70 and I vowed to not have that feeling in my next car.
Appreciate 1
ledphut221.50
      02-08-2024, 06:17 PM   #41
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Don't think they can put 50e drive train in the X7 because of the third row being in the way where the battery would go. You can see this on Land Rovers with 3 rows, same story no PHEV with 3rd row.

Volvo had an interesting take on this with the XC90 (10 years old now). It's electric motor only on the rear, petrol only on the front and the battery is in the transmission tunnel they now no longer need with that setup. Means can offer 3 rows and no loss of space. It also means it's rear wheel drive only in EV mode and front wheel drive only with the ICE. Have to run both for 4 wheel drive but I'd assume it can use some power from the ICE to power the electric motor if the battery is too low.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:58 PM   #42
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've had my 50i for under a week and absolutely love it. I wouldn't want any less power than what this has. I would actually like just a little more but I normally drive like a granny anyway so what I have will more than suffice.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:44 PM   #43
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

People mentioning the cost difference between the two had me do some investigating, and I was surprised at what I found out.
First off, I just built a 2024 M60 to the exact same specs my 2023 is and the new cost is $6,545 more than the '23. For that you get the upgraded driver assisted package. The surprising thing is that I swear in 2023 when I built a 40i to similar specs as the M60 it was about $10K less, but now the difference appears to be more like $14K. In both cases I'd say the costs are getting a little too high, but I was surprised that the cost increased more on the 40i, percentage-wise.

Now for my humble opinion, the 40i is clearly an incredible vehicle, but I am glad I chose the M60. Too much power? Really? It handles incredibly well and the wheels don't ever let loose, so how is it too much power? It's the best of both worlds in my opinion. Takes off and passes like a sports car, has all the room of a large SUV. Super quiet and luxurious interior. Super smooth ride. You can drive it slow if you want to, but can merge with ease when cars are doing 85 on the expressway. I don't see any downside other than cost. But if you're going to pay six figures for the 40 what's another $14K?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:21 PM   #44
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Alpina guy here. Are you 60i folks getting about 11mpg like me?
Appreciate 0