BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Remove water-spots from PPF !!

10-29-2023, 11:04 PM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Remove water-spots from PPF !!

Any suggestions from remove water spots from PPF?

I have a water softener and I assumed it was fine to wash the car via a garden hose, and I forgot to dry-wipe the car then and honestly was in a rush.

Next morning I found a ton of water spots in the PPF.

Tried to wipe with a compound, Griots water spot removal, and nothing worked well. Spots are still fresh so am sure I can remove them but want suggested before I try different stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 11:06 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

MystroX5 any experience with water spots on PPF?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:18 AM   #3
Exslave
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera, X7 M50i

I'd start with the basics. White vinegar and water.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 07:12 AM   #4
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i've used citric acid with some car shampoo to break the tension, i had water spots on my hood, straight acid solution was beading up due to my ceramic coat. adding some soap to the solution to get it to not bead, took the water spots off in 2 min.

not ppf'ed but if your ppf has a coating i would try a mild acid like vinegar or citric acid mixed with a little car shampoo.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Try distilled water and clean microfiber towel. That works most of the time for me for the minor water marks. Plenty of so so factory water spot removers that work about as well as a diluted white vinegar and water mix. You got to be careful when playing around with white vinegar on certain finishes and materials. The white vinegar has to be very diluted. The best default is always a basic detailer spray from companies like Meguires as it is safe of paint, ppf and vinyl.

My goto is use S-100 detailing spray which has a combo of beeswax and carnauba wax that doesn’t leave any white residue. It seems to pull up about everything on any surface and leave it protective ultra slippery finish on everything from paint, ppf, and vinyl graphics.
It’s what I use on my factory PPF from Porsche on my Manufaktur Exclusive 911.

You can find it at your local Harley Davidson shop. It works wonders over the entire vehicle, including the wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/S100-18400A-D...95&sr=8-2&th=1

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-30-2023 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:57 AM   #6
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Try distilled water and clean microfiber towel. That works most of the time for me for the minor water marks. Plenty of so so factory water spot removers that work about as well as a diluted white vinegar and water mix. [/url]
Thanks everyone and thanks MystroX5

I actually tried a few detailing products already, and also tried distilled water, as well as water spot removing product by Griots. Nothing worked at all. EVEN POLISHING A SMALL AREA by rubbing the compound via a microfiber didn't work!.

The only thing that worked is a damped tower and very very hot water, and it took magically 90% of the marks depth... was super delighted. Now I have 5-10% only in some areas wherein 90-95% of the marks have disappeared but some I can see 5% of their depth if I zoom in so satisfy my OCD I want them out too.

Keep in mind that am working with a full PPF surface.

Should I try now water and vinegar for the last 5% trick given everything I tried by now? If so, at what ratios? If not, what is the next trick?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post

I actually tried a few detailing products already, and also tried distilled water, as well as water spot removing product by Griots. Nothing worked at all. EVEN POLISHING A SMALL AREA by rubbing the compound via a microfiber didn't work!.

The only thing that worked is a damped tower and very very hot water, and it took magically 90% of the marks depth... was super delighted. Now I have 5-10% only in some areas wherein 90-95% of the marks have disappeared but some I can see 5% of their depth if I zoom in so satisfy my OCD I want them out too.

Should I try now water and vinegar for the last 5% trick given everything I tried by now? If so, at what ratios? If not, what is the next trick?
You can try a 30% vinegar/water but you said the commercial product which is very similar didn’t work???

It sounds like the water spots have begun to etch into the PPF instead of sitting on the surface. Heat also heals small scratches in PPF and can minimize micro etching in PPF.

I’ve never had just plain hard water stains, require much more than a detailer spray to be completely removed. I have removed micro abrasions from PPF using a plastic polish used for Lexan windshields and it does wonders.. I would love to see a macro pic.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...kaAux-EALw_wcB

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-30-2023 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:34 PM   #8
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I was scrolling till I got to your 4th sentence. I was going to suggest just wash the car and see how much or little remains. Then I read the products/attempts you have used

? Did you have any wax, sealant, coating on your PPF. While it's great at preventing chips, IMO, this stuff is porus and you need to be ontop of your LSP game. Any LSP doesn't last for long on -plastic-, so I top and top often on PPF...

Yeah PPF is supposed to make maintenance easier (in some aspects) but in others, you are still putting the same amount of work as far as detailing regimen.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 07:23 AM   #9
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

Quote:

if your car is fully ppf, wouldn't you just want to call your detailer/installer to your house to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #10
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai37 View Post
if your car is fully ppf, wouldn't you just want to call your detailer/installer to your house to fix it?
In a world like this I learned that the BEST and FIRST solution should be a DIY first...... No matter how good the shop is, I always hate it when other people touches my car, including when I take it for oil change to the manufacturer himself.

Nobody ever will care about your car as much as you. Knowing that the solution is mostly something that does not require unique equipment, I wanted to get it done myself first. Anyway I called the film manufacturer (EASTMAN, LLumar) and they recommended the use of very hot water on a saturated towel and then a wipe... if that does not work, 1. another soap wash, 2. water spot remover, if that doesn't work, 3. white vinegar + distilled water 50%, and if it does not work, clay bar and then step 3 again.

Of course I did that, and heat took care of reducing spots from 100% to 10% depth. I am now trying to get to remove the last 10% (u can barely see them, but I want them gone too).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 12:55 PM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Try distilled water and clean microfiber towel. That works most of the time for me for the minor water marks. Plenty of so so factory water spot removers that work about as well as a diluted white vinegar and water mix. You got to be careful when playing around with white vinegar on certain finishes and materials. The white vinegar has to be very diluted. The best default is always a basic detailer spray from companies like Meguires as it is safe of paint, ppf and vinyl.

My goto is use S-100 detailing spray which has a combo of beeswax and carnauba wax that doesn’t leave any white residue. It seems to pull up about everything on any surface and leave it protective ultra slippery finish on everything from paint, ppf, and vinyl graphics.
It’s what I use on my factory PPF from Porsche on my Manufaktur Exclusive 911.

You can find it at your local Harley Davidson shop. It works wonders over the entire vehicle, including the wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/S100-18400A-D...95&sr=8-2&th=1
This product worked like magic on PPF for a nice gloss, but even i was shocked it easily removed water spots from glass that even water spot removal failed to remove!!

Is that the best and only product u use on a PPF'ed car? I loved it but I am concerned it does not have SIO2. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This product worked like magic on PPF for a nice gloss, but even i was shocked it easily removed water spots from glass that even water spot removal failed to remove!!

Is that the best and only product u use on a PPF'ed car? I loved it but I am concerned it does not have SIO2. Thoughts?
Yes. This is one of my secret detailing weapons for daily and concourse use with and without my PPF vehicles.
It has enough hydrophobic properties but even greater gloss than ceramic. It’s also not fussy when and how you use it. I don’t go anywhere, vacation or local without having a can of S-100 and some microfibers in my car. It’s one of those products that can be deployed anywhere including your interior wood, aluminum finishes and even glass... If there’s one product, I would recommend to keep your vehicle the best looking one in the parking lot, this is it.

On a side note: try using this product on your fine dining room wood furniture, kitchen appliances, faucets, walnut rifle stocks, jewelry, etc…. What I’m getting at is because it’s organic with beeswax and carnauba wax, it can be used on it just about any finish you want to protect and put a glossy super hydrophobic shine on.

This is how I arrive after 1100 miles of driving from PA to Florida every year with an all black X7. Key in mind I don’t have PPF on my X7.
S-100 is a key factor in maintaining the look after rain, bugs, and road grime along the way.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-13-2023 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      11-13-2023, 09:22 PM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the recommendation MystroX5 . I did notice that shine was really great when I used it the first time a couple days ago. I might do Grits 3-in-1 ceramic wax and then S-100 the next wash. Those are the best 2 products I used thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:44 PM   #14
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Yes. This is one of my secret detailing weapons for daily and concourse use with and without my PPF vehicles.
It has enough hydrophobic properties but even greater gloss than ceramic. It’s also not fussy when and how you use it. I don’t go anywhere, vacation or local without having a can of S-100 and some microfibers in my car. It’s one of those products that can be deployed anywhere including your interior wood, aluminum finishes and even glass... If there’s one product, I would recommend to keep your vehicle the best looking one in the parking lot, this is it.

On a side note: try using this product on your fine dining room wood furniture, kitchen appliances, faucets, walnut rifle stocks, jewelry, etc…. What I’m getting at is because it’s organic with beeswax and carnauba wax, it can be used on it just about any finish you want to protect and put a glossy super hydrophobic shine on.

This is how I arrive after 1100 miles of driving from PA to Florida every year with an all black X7. Key in mind I don’t have PPF on my X7.
S-100 is a key factor in maintaining the look after rain, bugs, and road grime along the way.
Always gleam a lot of good infor from your posts, thanks. A couple of newbie claryifying questions to help with my education.

How does this work with the bugs on the grill? Does it help them slide off more? We’ve done a few long rides and find the front end tends to get caked with bugs (no ppf). Also, when you mention that you use it on glass- have you used it on your windshield Ana’s back window? We’ll be doing Chicago to Connecticut this winter and I could see this helping to save a gallon of windshield wash!

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      11-13-2023, 10:28 PM   #15
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
Always gleam a lot of good infor from your posts, thanks. A couple of newbie claryifying questions to help with my education.

How does this work with the bugs on the grill? Does it help them slide off more? We’ve done a few long rides and find the front end tends to get caked with bugs (no ppf). Also, when you mention that you use it on glass- have you used it on your windshield Ana’s back window? We’ll be doing Chicago to Connecticut this winter and I could see this helping to save a gallon of windshield wash!

Thanks!
I agree. This guy, MystroX5 , has helped me a few times to get armed with the best products. I always followed his recommendations and I have always been at least impressed. He once recommended me detailing towels from a website i never heard of, lol, I ordered them regardless and they were the best towels I ever used and I still used them to date and I just ordered another set of 20s. Same for Griot’s 3-1 ceramic and wax on black dark color vehicles, what a product especially as a drying-aid…. And now with the S-100. I had doubts about the S-100, but as always, Mystro is always right. I sometimes wonder how do u find these non-popular weird products, lol…. Like the copra towels, not even on Amazon : ). Thanks once again.
Appreciate 2
chicagox7190.00
MystroX56289.50
      11-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Thanks so much. I have been at this Porsche Concourse world for almost 3 decades now. From club racing Porsche 930’s to showing a multitude of 911’s along the way I learned what works and what is hype. Most of this was pre-internet days. Now a PCA concourse judge I see a lot of outrageous claims by new products.
As products got better I would show case them if they really delivered and sometimes would be sponsored or a technical advisor for the product that won me concourse trophies when using it. This took off into international calendars and posters of my vehicles at bookstores, etc…
I dont want to be a paid influencer to sell products. i only recommend products I personally use and have a lot of experience with. I don’t like to waste time so I have streamlined my detailing products that are ideal for every day vehicles that always look like they are in a weekend car show. My expectations are metered for the above average car enthusiast and skill set and not hyper critical as in a full-blown concourse car.

S-100 detail spray and a dozen microfiber towels is all an enthusiast needs on a new vehicle. Use it traveling to remove bugs anywhere including windshield while leaving a slippery glossy protective shine behind. Takes off road tar or any adhesive residue. Use S-100 over the entire front including the grill and air intakes.
If you’re using this all the time, there’s no reason to go any further with a detailed multi step wax/ceramic process for the average car enthusiast.
I live in a four season climate and this product is what I use on my Ram Power Wagon as my daily that sees horrible weather conditions and my truck still looks brand new.
If you want to take the gloss up a notch, follow up your S-100 detail with a S-100 or P21 wax. It’s all from the same company and the wax is the ultimate in concourse show shine.

https://www.amazon.com/S100-13700W-C...ps%2C94&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12700W-C...ps%2C94&sr=8-1

Remove hairline, scratches and blemishes with this P21 paint cleaner before the wax if needed. I paint prep with this with an orbital buffer when I want to get serious and will out shine anything I have ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12350B-P...ps%2C97&sr=8-1

Off BMW topic but some might recognize this particular poster and campaign used years back.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-14-2023 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2023, 05:24 PM   #17
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lightbulb

MystroX5 , how do you balance between S-100 and Griot's 3-1 Ceramic wax?

I like the griot's to have some ceramic properties, maybe use it as a drying aid, but any suggestions to use both efficiently? Maybe switch between the two from one wash to another? Thoughts?

Also, have you ever considered mixing ONR with Griot's 3-1 Ceramic wax to use as a drying add and shine booster when drying the vehicle to not worry about scratches during drying while at the same time applying the 3-in-1?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #18
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
MystroX5 , how do you balance between S-100 and Griot's 3-1 Ceramic wax?

I like the griot's to have some ceramic properties, maybe use it as a drying aid, but any suggestions to use both efficiently? Maybe switch between the two from one wash to another? Thoughts?

Also, have you ever considered mixing ONR with Griot's 3-1 Ceramic wax to use as a drying add and shine booster when drying the vehicle to not worry about scratches during drying while at the same time applying the 3-in-1?
MystroX5 just a kindly poking u again for my question above.
By the way, I tried the S-100 yesterday as u suggested for the interior wood and other trim pieces (anything that is NOT leather) and it worked like magic… loved it. Some wood areas felt in the past a bit too draggy or dry, and now it is again shinny and too silky like glass. Works like magic and the smell is AWESOME.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
MystroX5 just a kindly poking u again for my question above.
By the way, I tried the S-100 yesterday as u suggested for the interior wood and other trim pieces (anything that is NOT leather) and it worked like magic… loved it. Some wood areas felt in the past a bit too draggy or dry, and now it is again shinny and too silky like glass. Works like magic and the smell is AWESOME.
Awesome. One of the biggest factors with interior wood finishing from Rolls Royce is fine buffing/polishing at the end step with waxes. It just so happens that carnauba and beeswax is one of the trade secrets.

As far as S-100 and Griots 3-1, they both play well together as Griots uses a wax as well ceramic in the product. I recommend putting the Griots down first and maintaining with the S-100. You can dilute Griots as a drying tool as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 07:44 AM   #20
Drgwillis
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

water spots on satin ppf

MystroX5, What about water spots on satin ppf. Can I use the S-100 or the Lexan polisher? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:40 PM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgwillis View Post
MystroX5, What about water spots on satin ppf. Can I use the S-100 or the Lexan polisher? Thanks
My personal opinion: I tried almost everything you can think of. Nothing works better than hot water. Use ONR solution (2%), spray it, then get a towel or microfiber and pour (or soak it with) hot water - as hot as it can get if your house water heater is hot enough). This will remove all minerals 100% and even bring your back PPF back to new shiny surface if it has self healing properties.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:58 PM   #22
Drgwillis
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

ONR? I’m only familar with Optimum No Rinse. Is that what you are referring to?
Thanks
Appreciate 0