BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Roof rack/box recommendation

04-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #45
breese
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4302 View Post
Hi guys, so I am looking to get a pair of crossbars and a roof box for my 2022 X7 for the upcoming family trip but need some suggestions here (as I know nothing about these things). Should I just get a set of those BMW original ones or go with some third-party brand like Yakima or Thule? Please advise. Thank you all in advance!
So many entries so apologies if this has already been said,

I have the Thule wing bar EVO, like the look and I get zero whistling.

Thule Evo

I also have a Thule cargo box, I went with one that stood a little taller so I could fit suitcases in it, seems like the more expensive ones are slimmer but didn’t seem like the right fit for me bc I didn’t feel I could efficiently use the space. Just make sure with the Thule a box, whatever you go with, ensure all points of closer (where the pins slide in to lock the top of the box shut) are down into their position. If the key doesn’t turn with ease, there is a point of contact that is not seated correctly.
Also get a cargo box lift for storage, makes life so much better. (Image attached)

I have driven a handful of loaner Bmw x5/x7 when my g07 has been in for service, all have had the Bmw bars installed and all annoyingly whistled, really annoying. Also they cost a lot more.

If you have a tow hitch, getting a cargo carrier is a nice way to expand the cargo area too. If it’s not an enclosed box, just make sure to wrap your cargo in a tarp and use the “spider web” bunny cord the carrier will come with to hold it down. This will prevent any of your cargo from getting dirty from the road/weather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #46
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Which Thule Evo wing bar do you have?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:35 PM   #47
agnisco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Chevy Silverado & 2023 X7

The OEM bars were installed on my X7 when I took delivery. I drove it 75 miles home with the bars on and had zero wind noise or whistling. I just took the X7 on a 600 mile trip with the OEM bars and the Thule Motion XT XL installed. Again, zero whistling or weird unexpected wind noise.
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2023, 06:51 AM   #48
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I have the OEM roof bars and they are great. You no longer need an allen key to install them (They have a knob that has a built in torque wrench to they are installed at the correct torque) We’re going to pick up the roof box as well (OEM BMW) at some point this spring.
      04-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #49
flk797
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thule is fine
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #50
4nthony
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xDrive50i

Garage List
Thule Wingbar Edge?

Hi!

I like the look of the Thule Wingbar Edge. Though, because they are lower in profile than the OEM crossbars and other Thule bars, I'm wondering if carrying things like a surfboard or even a sheet of plywood, would interfere with the antenna.

Any thoughts on these crossbars? Thanks!

Last edited by 4nthony; 04-29-2023 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 05:27 PM   #51
gorbunok
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Is it true that back and front cross bars are diff lengths? When I look up Thule or Yakima both tell me that I need I need to get diff sizes.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #52
hkochat
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithcat View Post
Remember -- if you don't get aerodynamic bars you can get wind noise and whistles. Some brands better than others. Google around.
You are absolutely right. Whistling sound from no-aerodynamic roof rail cross bars is annoying and at the same time the appearance matters a lot too. I have researched and tried multiple ones for my 2023 X7 M60i so thought of sharing how end up getting one of the right ones. I have to admit, I haven't tried BNW genuine one due to two reasons. My roof rails are with black finish. BMW genuine cross bars are aluminum color and I personally was looking something that matches the rails in color. Secondly $850 plus including tax for two bars is little bit difficult to justify! Finally I got one from Germany directly. It is the Turtle Black Brand. It is found in eBay. So initially I was skeptical but took a chance after reading through the details. I am happy that I made the right decision. Costed $269 including tax and shipping. Looks like the manufacturing plant is in Turkey. Amazingly, the item reached me in TN in 4 days through FedEx from Turkey. I love it. Very high quality, perfect fit, easy install, came with detailed and clear instructions. I am surprised to experience no noise at all even at 80 MPH. very steady too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 09:47 AM   #53
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkochat View Post
You are absolutely right. Whistling sound from no-aerodynamic roof rail cross bars is annoying and at the same time the appearance matters a lot too. I have researched and tried multiple ones for my 2023 X7 M60i so thought of sharing how end up getting one of the right ones. I have to admit, I haven't tried BNW genuine one due to two reasons. My roof rails are with black finish. BMW genuine cross bars are aluminum color and I personally was looking something that matches the rails in color. Secondly $850 plus including tax for two bars is little bit difficult to justify! Finally I got one from Germany directly. It is the Turtle Black Brand. It is found in eBay. So initially I was skeptical but took a chance after reading through the details. I am happy that I made the right decision. Costed $269 including tax and shipping. Looks like the manufacturing plant is in Turkey. Amazingly, the item reached me in TN in 4 days through FedEx from Turkey. I love it. Very high quality, perfect fit, easy install, came with detailed and clear instructions. I am surprised to experience no noise at all even at 80 MPH. very steady too.
Thanks for sharing your experience - it is very helpful.
Have you tried installing a roof box? Does it have enough clearance to open the sunroof?
Are you planning to keep the cross bars installed all the time or you're going to remove them when they're not needed?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:02 PM   #54
hkochat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience - it is very helpful.
Have you tried installing a roof box? Does it have enough clearance to open the sunroof?
Are you planning to keep the cross bars installed all the time or you're going to remove them when they're not needed?
Yes, I tried the Thule box and it has enough clearance. Since there is no whistling noise, I prefer to leave it all the time. I did the same with my previous X5 but there I bought the rail cross bars from Thule. I had to install the Thule Air screen Wind Fairing to eliminate the whistling. I haven't taken the same path for X7 M60i because of the panoramic roof and no way I can install the Thule Air Screen as it's front end sits on the moon roof glass not on the body. The side rail position for the front roof rail cross bar is far behind compared to the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:55 PM   #55
macanx7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

How does one tell the front and rear OEM bars from one another? I just got them for my X7 and I can't discern any difference. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:33 AM   #56
hkochat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macanx7 View Post
How does one tell the front and rear OEM bars from one another? I just got them for my X7 and I can't discern any difference. Thanks!
Usually the longer one is for front and the shorter one is for rear if the bars come with a difference in lengths. I have seen some third party bars are equal in lengths. Then it doesn't matter unless there is some markings.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #57
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkochat View Post
Do you have a link for where you purchased from eBay?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #58
littleyang
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
2018 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2024 X7 40D  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Want to buy a roof box for my X7. Any one can tell me which one will be the best option since they are same price for me?

1, BMW OEM Roof Box 520 Liter, Lockable - BMW (82-73-2-406-459)
2, Thule Motion XT XL Black 500L 629801

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:40 AM   #59
littleyang
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
2018 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2024 X7 40D  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
I can't find the original order, I'll try to measure to confirm.

I believe I did, I was trying to figure out how to not pay for shipping.
Could you help to confirm your one is 420 or 520? thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #60
hechon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW '17 i3, '20 X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nthony View Post
Hi!

I like the look of the Thule Wingbar Edge. Though, because they are lower in profile than the OEM crossbars and other Thule bars, I'm wondering if carrying things like a surfboard or even a sheet of plywood, would interfere with the antenna.

Any thoughts on these crossbars? Thanks!

i have this on my '20 X7 40i. i love it, use with my cargo box and also ski rack. the only thing is it slightly rubs the sunroof when opening/closing it. it does not leave any permanent mark though. i've had 3 X5s and this X7 as well as many other cars with panoramic sunroofs, i think maybe i opened the sunroof 2 or 3 times in my lifetime, so it didn't bother me that it could rub the sunroof. when i installed this, i tried the sunroof just to see and that was it.

i like it because it's lower than OEM. some garages i used had quite low clearance and OEM would have definitely prevented me from entering.

-hechon
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:28 AM   #61
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hechon View Post
i have this on my '20 X7 40i. i love it, use with my cargo box and also ski rack.

i like it because it's lower than OEM. some garages i used had quite low clearance and OEM would have definitely prevented me from entering.

-hechon
While the non-OEM crossbars can have a lower profile, they are also a pain to remove. Many (most?) of us only put the bars up when we have that need 2-3 times per year for a cargo box or a ski rack, so the OEM's have a definitive advantage because they are on/off in under a minute, no tools required.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:29 AM   #62
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by macanx7 View Post
There will be a decal on the bar showing exactly which location it goes in. The decal is inside the plastic cover, visible when you open it with the key.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #63
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Also, someone may be interested in buying a German-made roof rack called Turtle.
I think it's reasonably priced, $265 with free shipping from Germany.
https://turtlenordic.com/roofracks/t...mw-x7-g07-2019
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #64
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinioX7 View Post
Also, someone may be interested in buying a German-made roof rack called Turtle.
I think it's reasonably priced, $265 with free shipping from Germany.
https://turtlenordic.com/roofracks/t...mw-x7-g07-2019
I just ordered this same one based upon a member's feedback on this thread. I went through eBay and got it for less than 180. And just the member said, it's arriving from Turkey in less than a week (today)...and that's including the holiday weekend here!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #65
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
I just ordered this same one based upon a member's feedback on this thread. I went through eBay and got it for less than 180. And just the member said, it's arriving from Turkey in less than a week (today)...and that's including the holiday weekend here!
Ugh, sorry for double posting. Note to myself ->
The Turtle roof rack design does look better than the original BMW and for its price, it looks even better. I will be ordering one today.
Appreciate 2
max h38.50
keg97166.50
      05-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #66
avalon652
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 2024 X7 M60i

Ordered up the Thule Edge Flush Rail/Wingbars along with a Thule Motion XT XL Roof Box yesterday from REI (20% off it all during their annual sale). Picking most of it up this week/weekend and curious to see/hear fit, etc. I'm not sure I could live with any rubbing per hechon's feedback but missed that until after I ordered. Will be curious to see how it all comes together!
Appreciate 0