BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 BMW x7 Xdrive40I DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION

02-28-2023, 09:56 PM   #67
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

I got the drivetrain malfunction today and car went to limp mode. This is the third time. It did go away but it was scary as I was taking a left turn and cramped out in the middle.

I have an appointment for Thursday. Should I ask dealer about trade assist or BMW NA? I love the car but this issue is really annoying.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      02-28-2023, 10:15 PM   #68
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
I got the drivetrain malfunction today and car went to limp mode. This is the third time. It did go away but it was scary as I was taking a left turn and cramped out in the middle.

I have an appointment for Thursday. Should I ask dealer about trade assist or BMW NA? I love the car but this issue is really annoying.
Did the dealer do anything to resolve it last time? Hopefully, there is something concrete they can fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 06:49 AM   #69
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
Did the dealer do anything to resolve it last time? Hopefully, there is something concrete they can fix.
Last time was software update and I was fine for 2.5k miles.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      03-01-2023, 09:05 AM   #70
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Getting my car back from the dealership this week it turns out to be the fuel pump.
Appreciate 2
abcsoup184.50
      03-01-2023, 09:07 AM   #71
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabram View Post
An update. Finally got our X7 back after 5 weeks.
They installed a new transmission. Hopefully no more issues going forward
Wow new transmission already for a 2023?!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:31 PM   #72
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

dropped of my car today. BMW Technician said there is something wrong with the car but its not coming up on any of BMW test bench and diagnostic. They have reached to BMW NA for it. Hopefully I will get an update soon.

On a side note, for lemon or trade assist discussion, should I contact BMW NA directly or I should speak to the dealership service manager?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:03 PM   #73
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
dropped of my car today. BMW Technician said there is something wrong with the car but its not coming up on any of BMW test bench and diagnostic. They have reached to BMW NA for it. Hopefully I will get an update soon.

On a side note, for lemon or trade assist discussion, should I contact BMW NA directly or I should speak to the dealership service manager?
It really depends on the service manager attitude...one would help because that's their nature...while another wouldn't. I have read posts where the service manager was very helpful. I guess you can approach him first...if it didn't work contact BMW NA. Good luck...

This link explains the lemon law by state:

https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all...-laws-by-state
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #74
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
It really depends on the service manager attitude...one would help because that's their nature...while another wouldn't. I have read posts where the service manager was very helpful. I guess you can approach him first...if it didn't work contact BMW NA. Good luck...

This link explains the lemon law by state:

https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all...-laws-by-state
Thanks you. Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      03-07-2023, 12:41 PM   #75
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Need some input from the forum:

BMW NA asked the dealer to install a specific software update which they have to address this drivetrain malfunction and requested me to drive 100 miles to see if the error come back. This is the third time they fixed this issue. I hope it get fixed but I am not too hopeful. Looking the VA lemon laws, I will be eligible if they have tried 3 or more attempts. I do not want to go this route. However, I do want to ask if its good idea to start the trade assist discussion now or wait and see if the error comes back again after this repair. I really like the car but this error is giving me a pause. Should I still start the discussion and to see if they can offer some other assurance like increase the warranty for one extra year or something? I will appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 2
EvanX10.50
jphcbpa314.50
      03-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #76
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

How far off from lemon law status are you? Trade assist usually doesn't happen until you get close to breaching the threshold of lemoning the car. I would not mention lemon law to them until it's close. They are well aware if it's going into that territory. There's something called a Davis number that's sometimes on your paperwork. That's the internal gauge as to how many days out of service.
The last thing they want is the car to be lemoned. Trade assist is the solution to that, but you need to go through the motions.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-07-2023, 01:35 PM   #77
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
How far off from lemon law status are you? Trade assist usually doesn't happen until you get close to breaching the threshold of lemoning the car. I would not mention lemon law to them until it's close. They are well aware if it's going into that territory. There's something called a Davis number that's sometimes on your paperwork. That's the internal gauge as to how many days out of service.
The last thing they want is the car to be lemoned. Trade assist is the solution to that, but you need to go through the motions.
So VA rules are as follows:
Presumption: within 18 months following the date of the motor
vehicle’s original delivery, (1) three or more repair attempts; (2)
one or more repair attempts to a serious safety defect; or (3) out
of service due to repair for 30 or more calendar days.

This is the third time I had this issue. When it happened the first time, BMW Assist helped me over the phone to reset the car and software. As such, three total attempts of which two were at the dealership. So I believe, I meet the first criterion. It has not been out of service for more than 30 days. Based on my calculation, it has been out of service for 10 days. I guess, I should wait and see if this repair fails. I was going to send a note to my SA to see if we start talking trade assist and service guy did not have any idea.
Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50
      03-07-2023, 02:30 PM   #78
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

so the first attempt where bmw assist had you restart the car likely does not count, no RO was issued, the car wasnt "repaired" (the law hasnt yet caught up with technology).

the past attempt and this one do.
i would have the conversation with them if this attempt fails ( the car will be in for the third time at that point).

basically along the lines of " this is now the third time we're trying to fix this problem, the car is not filling me with confidence, and i feel like we dont know whats really wrong with the car, what can we do about this situation" do mention the safety issue of the malfunction happening in an intersection. avoid mentioning lemon law. that will change the complexion of the convo and such with the dealer and bmwna. remember, the lemon law is the stick in your back pocket. you want them to do better than what you would get from a lemon law case, but you always have that option.

i would have a new configuration setup, understand what options might be no longer available (look at the 2024 ordering guide), and have an idea of what resolution will make you happy. you know off the bat that a lemon law case will give you your money back minus a mileage deduction, but often you can do one better with a trade assist. take into account if you financed, that rates are very different than they were when you got the car, factor that in to what you are going to ask for.

once you go into the trade assist route, at some point you will be signing an NDA and these discussions on a public forum wont be possible.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-07-2023, 06:45 PM   #79
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:

BMW NA asked the dealer to install a specific software update which they have to address this drivetrain malfunction and requested me to drive 100 miles to see if the error come back. This is the third time they fixed this issue. I hope it get fixed but I am not too hopeful. Looking the VA lemon laws, I will be eligible if they have tried 3 or more attempts. I do not want to go this route. However, I do want to ask if its good idea to start the trade assist discussion now or wait and see if the error comes back again after this repair. I really like the car but this error is giving me a pause. Should I still start the discussion and to see if they can offer some other assurance like increase the warranty for one extra year or something? I will appreciate the feedback.
The first attempt might not count because it was over the phone...it is a gray area. I would say give them this chance...hopefully it works. If not...then you can proceed with trade assist...then as the last resort you can file a claim based on VA lemon laws. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
rjabend368.50
      03-07-2023, 06:58 PM   #80
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

My car has been in the dealership since February due to drivetrain and they drove about 50 miles since then
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 07:01 PM   #81
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
so the first attempt where bmw assist had you restart the car likely does not count, no RO was issued, the car wasnt "repaired" (the law hasnt yet caught up with technology).

i would have the conversation with them if this attempt fails ( the car will be in for the third time at that point).

basically along the lines of " this is now the third time we're trying to fix this problem, the car is not filling me with confidence, and i feel like we dont know whats really wrong with the car, what can we do about this situation" do mention the safety issue of the malfunction happening in an intersection. avoid mentioning lemon law. that will change the complexion of the convo and such with the dealer and bmwna. remember, the lemon law is the stick in your back pocket. you want them to do better than what you would get from a lemon law case, but you always have that option.

i would have a new configuration setup, understand what options might be no longer available (look at the 2024 ordering guide), and have an idea of what resolution will make you happy. you know off the bat that a lemon law case will give you your money back minus a mileage deduction, but often you can do one better with a trade assist. take into account if you financed, that rates are very different than they were when you got the car, factor that in to what you are going to ask for.

once you go into the trade assist route, at some point you will be signing an NDA and these discussions on a public forum wont be possible.
What’s trade assist?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 03:44 PM   #82
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did not realize the first one will not count. I would have gone to the dealer as I saved the picture of the error and notification in the App. Thank you for your advise. I will wait and see if I get the error third time. Hopefully, I do not. The new X7 base price is higher plus interest rates, sales tax and etc. I would lose quite bit.

Thanks Again.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #83
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleric View Post
What’s trade assist?
I see your car has be inoperable for more than 30 days. Check lemon laws in your state as this car may qualify to be tagged as lemon. Instead of you doing a lemon law claim, BMW NA will buyback your old car and put you in new car on favorable terms so you do not lose lots of money. You will still lose out on certain things but it will be much better out come than claiming lemon which involve lawyer as well.

As Orient suggested, you should start the conversation and ask them for trade or extend warranty at minimum. They know that your car is in the lemon territory.

It sucks to be without your car. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-08-2023, 04:07 PM   #84
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

This whole LCI things has become a clusterf.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #85
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I see your car has be inoperable for more than 30 days. Check lemon laws in your state as this car may qualify to be tagged as lemon. Instead of you doing a lemon law claim, BMW NA will buyback your old car and put you in new car on favorable terms so you do not lose lots of money. You will still lose out on certain things but it will be much better out come than claiming lemon which involve lawyer as well.

As Orient suggested, you should start the conversation and ask them for trade or extend warranty at minimum. They know that your car is in the lemon territory.

Thanks for info. Isn’t it better to have a lawyer involve since they don’t charge any fee? Just got my car back it’s just within 30 days but now I am getting other errors. I guess it’s going back again Sigh..
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-08-2023, 06:32 PM   #86
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Start the conversation by contacting the BMW customer service?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #87
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleric View Post
Start the conversation by contacting the BMW customer service?
Start with sales guy or service manager. I think they will involve BMW NA. Thats what I have gathered from this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #88
sg023370
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7 m60i

I am the new addition to the list of of drivetrain malfunction. Mine is a new 2023 X7 m60i. It has less than 200 miles on it and died within a fortnight.
Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50