BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Super annoying honking when walking away from vehicle

03-20-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Super annoying honking when walking away from vehicle

Today I was leaving the house and forgot something and went back to the front door with my keys and the car running and the car started honking like crazy. I grabbed my house key and threw the fob back in the seat and walked away and it started honking again. So I threw my phone in the car and it finally stopped. This was a neighbor attention-getting super loud series of honks at different lengths like it was a major emergency or something. Pretty crazy! Is there a way to turn that off? This is on a MY24 X7, my MY19 definitely didn't do that!!!

I can understand one attention getting short honk if you leave the car with your keys and the car is still running, but seriously, honking like a child is banging on the steering wheel is just insane!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:34 PM   #2
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
In the older BMWs you are able to code this behavior off, not so sure about ‘23 and up.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:35 PM   #3
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewX7 View Post
Today I was leaving the house and forgot something and went back to the front door with my keys and the car running and the car started honking like crazy. I grabbed my house key and threw the fob back in the seat and walked away and it started honking again. So I threw my phone in the car and it finally stopped. This was a neighbor attention-getting super loud series of honks at different lengths like it was a major emergency or something. Pretty crazy! Is there a way to turn that off? This is on a MY24 X7, my MY19 definitely didn't do that!!!

I can understand one attention getting short honk if you leave the car with your keys and the car is still running, but seriously, honking like a child is banging on the steering wheel is just insane!
I turned mine off by disabling the comfort access option of locking the car when walking away I believe, there was a thread about this a while ago but not sure how to find it or quote it, hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:04 PM   #4
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I turned mine off by disabling the comfort access option of locking the car when walking away I believe, there was a thread about this a while ago but not sure how to find it or quote it, hope this helps.
Found that yesterday, thank you!

Happened to me again this morning, so I'll have to do that. It's ridiculous that it does that even when you have the driver door open. The honking pattern it does when walking away is so loud and just outrageous!
Appreciate 2
salfeet84309.00
jphcbpa314.50
      03-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #5
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Found that yesterday, thank you!

Happened to me again this morning, so I'll have to do that. It's ridiculous that it does that even when you have the driver door open. The honking pattern it does when walking away is so loud and just outrageous!
So manufacturers want to help people know when their car is running and the key isn't in it but then we complain when it happens

Anyways, I guess it's not that obnoxious or outrageous and never bothered me when it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:56 PM   #6
chitownx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2011 550

I absolutely HATE that the car does this. All of my previous BMWs would just show a message on the screen that the key was missing, the honking is just insane. I like the comfort access locking the car, my only hope is that in a future update they let us disable while home, as I've seen possible in other cars. Or turn off this setting entirely. God forbid you want to let the car warm up without leaving your key, watch and phone in the running car to prevent it from honking at you
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-22-2024, 02:41 PM   #7
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I believe the 2019 X7 let out just one brief honk if you tried to lock the car with it running. That feels like it would be an acceptable solution in this case as well. No need for multiple honks like someone is inside going crazy on your horn. I really don't need to be pissing off the neighbors early in the morning (or calling unnecesary attention at any time of day). They could also send you a notification in the BMW app instead of all the honking. There's a million ways they could have handled that better for sure!

The other one is comfort access continually unlocking and locking your car every time you walk by it in the driveway when you are home. There definitely needs to be a "disable while home" setting for that as well. Even washing your car can be a pain in the ass. If you set up the key on your Apple watch, you have to remove your phone and your watch and your key from your person just to be able to wash your car. Ridiculous...
Appreciate 3
FSociety3812.50
Kalvis10.50
      03-30-2024, 02:43 PM   #8
Foxglove
X7 Proselyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xd50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X7 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the 2019 X7 let out just one brief honk if you tried to lock the car with it running. That feels like it would be an acceptable solution in this case as well. No need for multiple honks like someone is inside going crazy on your horn. I really don't need to be pissing off the neighbors early in the morning (or calling unnecesary attention at any time of day). They could also send you a notification in the BMW app instead of all the honking. There's a million ways they could have handled that better for sure!

The other one is comfort access continually unlocking and locking your car every time you walk by it in the driveway when you are home. There definitely needs to be a "disable while home" setting for that as well. Even washing your car can be a pain in the ass. If you set up the key on your Apple watch, you have to remove your phone and your watch and your key from your person just to be able to wash your car. Ridiculous...
Fully agree here. Just got a MY19 and it honks every time it's on and I get out with the key in my pocket. Disabling comfort access is a poor solution that BMW could have easily solved. Never locked my keys in a car, never forgotten the car was on -- yet BMW thinks I'm stupid enough to do so...
Appreciate 0