ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

My ///M Coupe Arrives!!!

Gents, thank you all for your advice over the last couple months.

The search for my new ride has taken around 9 months as I was so specific in regards to what I was looking for. It was clear from the outset that I wanted a rear wheel drive, 200kw plus roadster which left me with the following options SLK 55AMG, Boxster S and ///M Roadster. I drove all these cars and was impressed by all due to their unique attributes but the SLK and the Boxster could not compare to the overall package of the ///M Roadster.

The SLK is very powerful and looks great but the automatic setup and massive steering wheel did not cater for my enthusiastic driving style. The hardtop convertible is definitely its trump card that will cater for the boulevard cruiser.

The Boxster was impressive as it was so precise in its handling but in the same way it was too clinical. Resulting in a drive that was pleasant but not entertaining. I was so disappointed to see that the roof is a manual one and not fully automatic like most convertibles on the market today. The price of the boxster was also a major “no no” as it was under powered compared to its peers yet it was the most expensive.

Once I stepped into the ///M Roadster I was immediately blown away by its great mechanical exhaust note that is louder and with more bass compared to a E46 M3. Handling is perfect with a “grab me by the scruff of my kneck” attitude, this is also complemented by its meaty steering wheel and massive rear wheel tires. Dropping the top just added to the entertainment.

So I was sold on the roadster idea even though scuttle and shake could be noticed on all three cars when put on appalling roads.

Then I was given the chance to drive a ///M Coupe, Mmmm then I realized how compromised convertibles are. Handling increases and torsional rigidity doubles resulting in you pushing the car more and harder. The cabin of the ///M Coupe is purely driver focused by having the all the driver tools laid out perfectly for easy reach and the occasional “heel and toe” action.

After the ///M Coupe idea came into the picture I ended up looking at other coupes a M3 CSL and E92 M3 Coupe. I did not consider any of the Mercs due to their Automatic setups and Audis only offering was the S5 which did not suit me.

The M3 CSL was great fun but a bit bare in the options, this makes sense as the car has to be as light as possible. The SMG setup is a major let down at low speeds but when you put foot the SMG is a beast with quick changes that put the power down well. Then the biggest shock was the insurance for a CSL which was sky high as the parts for the CSL are freaking expensive due to Carbon fiber bumbers, roof and other priceless parts. So the CSL was great but not for me.

The E92 M3 is the perfect car for everyday use but was not as driver focused as the CSL or M Coupe. There have been more than enough reviews on the M3 so I will not labor on it.

The ///M Coupe does not create any misapprehension on what it is. This car is a sports car by having an award winning engine, rear wheel drive setup, 50/50 weight distribution, a mass of 1450kg and a suspension that is designed for the track and mountain passes. All this results in car that annihilates the 0-100km/h time in 5 seconds and a 1km sprint in around 23 seconds. This car is not targeted at the masses but rather the enthusiast that knows what they want from a performance car. So of course I got it as I think it will bring me many joyful kms over the next couple of years. The spec is a Grey silver with full house(Nav, Bluetooth, PDC, HiFi sound, electric seats with heating etc)

WoW is all I can say!

Below are two reviews that got me really thinking hard about the M Coupe. The one review is from a MINI Cooper S driver and the other from a South African Journalist:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/01/25...mw-z4-m-coupe/

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...751&fSetId=381

The last time I see the R53 MINI

The New Guy on the Block

Last edited by izzy; 11-16-2008 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Congrats! Get your CDV done, take the 1200mi break-in period to get adjusted to shifting into second gear, and call a plastic surgeon to get that new grin removed
      11-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

is that space grey? or silver grey?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]

Congrats, the car looks great, and you'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorman13 View Post
is that space grey? or silver grey?
If it's an '06 or '07 it's Silver Gray, '08 is Space Gray - at least in North America.
      11-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

looks great. enjoy!
      11-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

nice color choice!!!! haha

sweet car, congrats
      11-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Congrats - glad to see you've got it!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Congrats mate! Same color, interior, and options as mine except I couldnt resist the roadster over here in California.

I went to check out some Porsches and Corvettes today and I just didn't get as excited as I do about the M either, even though these were all worth twice as much! I totally hear you on that point. Getting back into my car at the end of the day and feeling that fat, perfectly bumped steering wheel and logical simple controls at eye level, then hearing that beautiful roar with the top down was bliss. It's gonna take a pretty special test drive to get most people out of their M's I think
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
nice color choice!!!! haha

sweet car, congrats
X2!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboMR View Post
Congrats mate! Same color, interior, and options as mine except I couldnt resist the roadster over here in California.

I went to check out some Porsches and Corvettes today and I just didn't get as excited as I do about the M either, even though these were all worth twice as much! I totally hear you on that point. Getting back into my car at the end of the day and feeling that fat, perfectly bumped steering wheel and logical simple controls at eye level, then hearing that beautiful roar with the top down was bliss. It's gonna take a pretty special test drive to get most people out of their M's I think
corvette twice as much!!!! NO WAY! unless it is a zr1.
      11-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
corvette twice as much!!!! NO WAY! unless it is a zr1.
Oh I meant compared to what my car is worth now, it'll cost twice as much to upgrade and I'm just not feelin it (a Z06)

You made the right choice OP!
Appreciate 0