F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Want my F36 X-Drive a bit stiffer and 15-20mm Drop
ARMA SPEED

06-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep
Drives: F36, 430DX M-Performance MW

Want my F36 X-Drive a bit stiffer and 15-20mm Drop

Hi

I think that my F36 X-Drive with the adaptive suspension has a bit too much body roll, and reading on here I am not the only one...

So I am looking for a 15-20mm drop and at the same time if the springs would be a bit stiffer to reduce body roll that would be great.

15-20mm drop is maximum as I can't go lower due to the winters here where I live and I actually consider to remove my M-Perf front during winter months...

Any thought and suggestion would be great :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

With adaptive suspension I suspect your options are more limited....but fitting Dinan lowering springs may be possible as long as the shocks CAN compress lower down their range and not bottom out banging up the shock mount. Others will chime in here....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep

Thanks for the answer.

Not even sure if Dinan is available over here in Norway?
But I see that they have software where you can actually re-tune the adaptive suspension that does sound great.
I have spoken to my dealer and they mean that 15-20mm drop should be fine, and warranty will still be valid.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

ACS is available. I have them sitting at my house, just haven't installed. Hope to next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Dinan Shockware is what you need. Hopefully you can get it in Norway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
ACS is available. I have them sitting at my house, just haven't installed. Hope to next week.
Thank you, I look into those as well.
Would be great if you could post once you have it installed, how much the drop was and how the ride quality is feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Dinan Shockware is what you need. Hopefully you can get it in Norway.
Thanks,
Do you have this on your car?
I just sent them an email, currently there is no dealers in Northern Europe but can still be that they can sell to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
NorthNJ
Private
Rep
Drives: former F31

Quote:
I love these on my F31. I've had them for almost a year now. Would like to hear your experience with the F36.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Ever thought of going with a coilover system so you can adjust the height and dampening to your preference?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
koryrykman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 355i M-Sport

For body roll you need to improve the sway bars.
      06-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #11
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Ever thought of going with a coilover system so you can adjust the height and dampening to your preference?
Already have the damping adjusted, via Dinan, but you can't really "set the ride height as you want" on the F36 x-drive. There simply isn't much available without ending up with no suspension due to the x-drive components.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #12
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koryrykman View Post
exactly, and mainly the front, as stiffening the rear will cause problems hooking up due to no LSD diff.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snusmumrikken View Post
Thanks,
Do you have this on your car?
I just sent them an email, currently there is no dealers in Northern Europe but can still be that they can sell to Europe.
Yes. It completely transformed my F34's handling.

Pre-Shockware, I found myself putting the car into Sport mode on rough roads; the car was so bouncy that I didn't feel fully in control.

Just imagine what it can do for an F36!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have been considering that as an option, or an addition. Would you go for that before springs as to reduce body roll only?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
koryrykman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 355i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snusmumrikken
Quote:
I have been considering that as an option, or an addition. Would you go for that before springs as to reduce body roll only?
To reduce body roll, yes.
I have H&R sport springs and they didn't do anything for body roll. Made the car sit great, but nothing for roll. Definitely go sway bars if that's your top concern.
      06-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snusmumrikken View Post
Best mod I've done on a car so far was stiffer anti-sways on my 2010 camaro SS. It's not like the handling sucked to start, but it was much better after. After doing engine/drivetrain mods on my WRX first, I promised myself on the next car I'd do suspension first. I did plenty of other stuff too, but the anti-sways were definitely the ticket. Springs is more of a visual-mod unless you are doing it with high performance shocks, springs lower CG a bit, helps a bit if you can match your damper-rate to the stiffer springs, but anti-sways will make the far more responsive to inputs, give better feedback, corner and make quick changes better, because it won't be throwing the entire mass of the car in opposite directions to nearly the same extent. The negative is when you hit a pothole or bump on one side of the car it will transfer that shock to the other side a little easier, as if you are running a solid-axle. You don't have the hookup problems of a solid axle, it's just a similar effect that one side is more "tied" to the other side, especially at slower speeds/forces.

On the other hand, stiffer anti-sways may kind of ruin you, because after you get used to them most other cars start to feel like boats on the ocean just dipping and diving with the waves when you turn the wheel. Super-annoying to feel how "loose" most everything else is.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
Snusmumrikken
Private
Rep

Quote:
Best mod I've done on a car so far was stiffer anti-sways on my 2010 camaro SS. It's not like the handling sucked to start, but it was much better after. After doing engine/drivetrain mods on my WRX first, I promised myself on the next car I'd do suspension first. I did plenty of other stuff too, but the anti-sways were definitely the ticket. Springs is more of a visual-mod unless you are doing it with high performance shocks, springs lower CG a bit, helps a bit if you can match your damper-rate to the stiffer springs, but anti-sways will make the far more responsive to inputs, give better feedback, corner and make quick changes better, because it won't be throwing the entire mass of the car in opposite directions to nearly the same extent. The negative is when you hit a pothole or bump on one side of the car it will transfer that shock to the other side a little easier, as if you are running a solid-axle. You don't have the hookup problems of a solid axle, it's just a similar effect that one side is more "tied" to the other side, especially at slower speeds/forces.

On the other hand, stiffer anti-sways may kind of ruin you, because after you get used to them most other cars start to feel like boats on the ocean just dipping and diving with the waves when you turn the wheel. Super-annoying to feel how "loose" most everything else is.
You have a very valid point here, I think I now will go for the ACS springs as they seems to lower around what I want. This will give me the better look, but still keep some riding height for winter. I have also asked Dinan about shockware here in Norway, still no reply from them though.

Then as next mod it will be the sway-bars, obviously I am bit worried to what it would do to handling during the winter? But at least the 18" will do a bit as well compared to the 20" I have in summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #18
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Finally got it lowered. ACS springs, dinan swaybars, dinan shockware. Feels very good. Solid, good ride, but boosts the handling significantly. Going to drive it all this weekend of course, but first impressions are great. With the x-drives the front still ends up being a little higher than the rear, but the atrocious gap is gone, it's "normalized". Tires are 245x40s. Hard to see from these pics, but I really like the way the front looks now too, it's noticeable how much lower the air-dam/front end is and it looks much better there too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #19
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Very nice JamesNoBrakes, the ride height looks great!
Appreciate 0