01-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

2023 X7 trim starting to discolor

Hi everyone,

Almost at 3,000 miles now on my 2023 X7 and everything has been perfect so far - until today. I was driving around and I don’t know if it was just perfect lighting or what but I noticed the wood trim around my shifter and click wheel is starting to discolor. It’s starting to turn black. I got home and took a better look and it’s every single piece of trim in the vehicle, front and back. I have the individual silver ash root open pore wood trim.

I called the dealer to make an appointment and they said to just bring it over; I’m going this afternoon. Any ideas? I can’t imagine it’s dirty but I tried a warm cloth anyway and it didn’t change anything. I’m kind of afraid of what the dealer is going to say. I suspect this will need to be replaced… but every single piece of wood in the car? Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 01:01 PM   #2
workstation
Rep
Drives: (coming soon)

The wood trim you show looks like the Silver Ash Root Open Pore Wood, which is a gradient trim.
Appreciate 1
shameson164.00
      01-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I guess because the grain has not been sealed with a protective lacquer it could absorb contaminants and get damaged by UV light. It does look really grimy but I would think your environment would have to be really filthy for that to start to happen and highly unlikely. Your surrounding leather would look significantly worse if it were a dirty environment and it doesn’t. That fact alone says it’s a defect.
Hopefully this is a one off manufacturing defect. I would file a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

The online configurator lists "Color Gradient" under the name of the trim; it also shows the gradient on the dashboard piece of wood. The grading in your car looks too orderly and consistent to be caused by a defect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
Hi everyone,

Almost at 3,000 miles now on my 2023 X7 and everything has been perfect so far - until today. I was driving around and I don’t know if it was just perfect lighting or what but I noticed the wood trim around my shifter and click wheel is starting to discolor. It’s starting to turn black. I got home and took a better look and it’s every single piece of trim in the vehicle, front and back. I have the individual silver ash root open pore wood trim.

I called the dealer to make an appointment and they said to just bring it over; I’m going this afternoon. Any ideas? I can’t imagine it’s dirty but I tried a warm cloth anyway and it didn’t change anything. I’m kind of afraid of what the dealer is going to say. I suspect this will need to be replaced… but every single piece of wood in the car? Thoughts?

Hey! Long time no hear. Do you leave this outside or in a garage? The only reason I ask is that it may be UV damage from the sun. It would make sense in those areas. Like the top of the wood on the door panels. And obviously any horizontal piece that the sun hits. Dash through the windshield and center console maybe through the roof or sun coming through the windshield and then hitting the back of the console for a little bit. Dash piece is at an angle so the top would get be exposed longer than the bottom of it.

Curious if on the next sunny day you have, look from the side window in at different times during the day. I want to say that you will probably find out that the sun is doing this.

Looks grimy. Like MystroX5 said. But you’re pretty particular with your vehicles so I highly doubt it’s dirt. It’s like when you leave a pine board outside in the sun it turns grey over time. If this is it then BMW should have thought of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #6
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback and input. I took it to the dealer and they didn’t think it looked right, either; they took some pictures of their own and opened up a warranty claim with BMW so we’ll see what they say. I’m not too keen on having all of this torn up so a part of me hopes this is just how it’s supposed to be. It just really looks like it’s dirty and needs a good cleaning (which it doesn’t). Just doesn’t look right but I could be wrong.

This is a new trim so there’s not a lot of pictures out there. I have some from around delivery but the details aren’t in the right area. I found a couple more from then in sunlight (see attached) - it’s gorgeous and very evenly colored. If only I had captured a bit farther down in the pictures.

If anyone else out there has this trim I’d love to see some pictures to compare.
Attached Images

Last edited by coolerbythelake; 01-17-2023 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Hey! Long time no hear. Do you leave this outside or in a garage? The only reason I ask is that it may be UV damage from the sun. It would make sense in those areas. Like the top of the wood on the door panels. And obviously any horizontal piece that the sun hits. Dash through the windshield and center console maybe through the roof or sun coming through the windshield and then hitting the back of the console for a little bit. Dash piece is at an angle so the top would get be exposed longer than the bottom of it.

Curious if on the next sunny day you have, look from the side window in at different times during the day. I want to say that you will probably find out that the sun is doing this.

Looks grimy. Like MystroX5 said. But you’re pretty particular with your vehicles so I highly doubt it’s dirt. It’s like when you leave a pine board outside in the sun it turns grey over time. If this is it then BMW should have thought of that.
That would make sense, but my car is kept in the garage - my garage is fully temperature and humidity controlled (I detail cars in there). I work from home and when I'm driving it's usually in the evening hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:10 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Certainly you would think BMW would have done some testing on open pore wood to see how it ages without any protective lacquer??? No wants that “mildew/tarnished staining” look over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:37 PM   #9
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Hopefully they replace, if defective. I hope they don't come back and say this is a natural wood product which will have environmental effects. Good start dealer is on your side.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 03:59 PM   #10
x7m60i
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60I

I have the same trim and we see similar gradient effects as yours. Will post pictures later. Now I don’t remember what it looked like when first taking delivery.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

The question is, if it’s a material/design defect, why would anyone replace it with the same!? Wouldn’t that issue appear again unless they fix the issue with a new/revised part number?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 09:18 PM   #12
andykitty
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I have the same trim, and it looks exactly like yours, so I don’t think it is a defect. And I actually kind of like how the color change from dark to light.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #13
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Certainly you would think BMW would have done some testing on open pore wood to see how it ages without any protective lacquer??? No wants that “mildew/tarnished staining” look over time.
my understanding was the open pore wood does in fact have a protective sealant coating on it, just not high gloss, but matte to match the unsmoothed wood look. Without sealant every interior would be ruined after the first rainstorm where a door was opened.

As far as i can tell, and i spent some time looking before i ordered, open pore does not come with different care instructions (like matte paint does which is missing the protective clearcoat)

I don't think BMW would introduce a product without protective sealant and not say something. Considering open pore is part of the standard offering it will be on many orders/lot vehicles for customers significantly less informed than his message board, the warranty claims would be off the chart if unprotected.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

coolerbythelake
Any updates? Just curious to know since this is my preferred color which I have on two vehicles now, and in future, I’ll again go with same color for trim. I have the one with gloss finish, but I may consider the non-gloss one in the future as a change.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:06 PM   #15
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW5and7 I did, I heard from BMW Corporate this past Friday asking for a few more pictures. No confirmation yet but it’s all in review. I found a video on YouTube with my same interior color and trim and it all looks similar, as reported by a few here.

What was interesting is that BMW specifically asked for some more pictures of the trim running along the dash and wanted to see the one picture I have from when it was new. I took the car out in the sun again and took a few updated pictures and attached them (the same ones sent to BMW). Again, it could totally be the light and normal so we’ll see what they say. I work from home and don’t drive a whole heck of a lot during the day. We also don’t get a lot of sun this time of the year so this could all be me. But doesn’t it look a little different? Mystro used the right word, it looks as though it’s a little tarnished. This could be by design I suppose. I really like BMW’s lighter toned woods and I think I’d go with the glossy one next time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #16
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

I really love this trim (but didn't get it) so I'm sad to see this. But weirdly, in your first picture (the like new one) towards the bottom there's a dark streak. In your last picture, it appears that same dark streak is now lighter? That's pretty strange to say the least. Keep us updated on what BMW says.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #17
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Need gossip updates please
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:17 AM   #18
x7m60i
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60I

Pictures from mine. These are taken in the garage with no light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #19
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the pictures! I’ve been able to find a few pictures of it from dealer lots and what I’m seeing looks normal and like the others. I feel kind of dumb for not noticing until now but I just need to drive the thing more LOL.

The response to this from BMW has been pathetic. My local dealer has been trying to get answers but all they are able to get is just pictures which all look bright and not quite like mine. BMW corporate came back and basically said they’re not sure because of how new the trim is which is an unacceptable response. They’re sending replacement pieces to the dealer to compare. I know what I’m seeing is normal at this point but it’s just pathetic for the actual manufacturer to not be able to concretely confirm.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #20
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
After all this, would you do it again or pick a different trim? We just put a deposit in and on the fence. Same atlas grey/white leather. We picked fineline black trim - do you all think that’s a good choice?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:57 PM   #21
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
I appreciate the pictures! I’ve been able to find a few pictures of it from dealer lots and what I’m seeing looks normal and like the others. I feel kind of dumb for not noticing until now but I just need to drive the thing more LOL.

The response to this from BMW has been pathetic. My local dealer has been trying to get answers but all they are able to get is just pictures which all look bright and not quite like mine. BMW corporate came back and basically said they’re not sure because of how new the trim is which is an unacceptable response. They’re sending replacement pieces to the dealer to compare. I know what I’m seeing is normal at this point but it’s just pathetic for the actual manufacturer to not be able to concretely confirm.
I know it has been a while. I just saw this thread and I wonder what did you end up doing? How is the trim holding up?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 07:43 AM   #22
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I know it has been a while. I just saw this thread and I wonder what did you end up doing? How is the trim holding up?
It was normal and by design.
Appreciate 0