F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone not lease anymore?
ARMA SPEED

01-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #111
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I financed mine through Penfed for a whopping 0.9% for 5 years. I'm pretty confident I can put the cash I saved to work and make a good bit more than that...

This!!

Those that beat their chest "I paid cash!!!", I laugh at that.

I guess if you got cash to launder then it's the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #112
pbjr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport MT

For me it was the MT option. BMW is phasing them out and I wanted to have another before they're gone forever. Look at the Z4 4 cylinder. Gone within the current generation. Can happen at any time. I purchased a MT 435i and it's been a great experience. 14 months and 10k miles. No issues. Hope it continues. Last car was 2000 S4 and nothing but normal maintenance. Car is now with my dad at 108k and still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #113
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
I have a close friend while is totally a clean freak with his cars. It boggles my mind he takes care of them like he owns them then gives them back in pristine condition to the dealer.
Thats what I do. Treat it as my own. Why wouldnt I?
Exactly, that's the passion we were referring to earlier.

The other good thing with buying is your let the car go on your own terms. Having a deadline to return the car also takes the fun out of changing cars and gets tiring
For me the strict ownership timeline of a lease is one of the most unattractive aspects of that route. I find comfort in buying and selling when I see fit.
      01-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #114
6spdTanzM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
yeah, I'm an enthusiast and hobbyist mechanic... for most of 2000-2010 I bought all the niche cars audis/rx7 twin turbo/sti/evo/corvette etc etc drove them awhile and resold for the same or a profit, there were times I had 5-7 cars I drove in any given week.

I always did well because I'm extremely OCD, if you ever buy a car from me it will perform and look as new.

Debugging this E90 has been a real treat
You bought and sold 60 cars for same cost or profit? Are you a dealer? Please add up the sales tax, registration fees, etc. and then tell us if you've made a profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #115
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmr2t View Post
You bought and sold 60 cars for same cost or profit? Are you a dealer? Please add up the sales tax, registration fees, etc. and then tell us if you've made a profit.
nah just a hobbyist, people sell their cars way cheap for cash when they bought more than they can afford... regarding registration didn't always register them lol
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #116
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
Ah, but if you re-up with BMW for your next lease all of that is forgiven. I've returned 3 Series with a door ding, some wheel rash, and worn tires with no penalty. And the one time they docked me for a chipped windshield I was able to call BMW Finance customer service and get them to let me off the hook for that as well.

There is no downside to leasing.
I did "re-up" with BMW, went from an e90 to an f30, but BMW didn't care. Seems like you got really lucky. i got charged for mileage, tires, and dings.

Did you get your cars from the BMW dealer directly? I get my cars through leasing companies
      01-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #117
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmr2t View Post
To be fair, it is possible.

I bought a highly modified Corvette, slowly parted out the mods and returned it closer to stock and was able to make a profit after sales tax, registration, service charges and even the tools I had to buy (turns out no normal jack fits under a Corvette). The only thing I didn't include in my spreadsheet was gas and time spent working on the car.

If you're good at spotting cars, negotiating, and reselling them it's a big time commitment but you can certainly make money doing it. In college we used to buy old beater cars for $1-100 that people couldn't get running and would be glad just to have towed off their property. Many of them just required fresh gas, some cheap parts and elbow grease to get running and they could be resold with no problems.
      01-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #118
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
I did "re-up" with BMW, went from an e90 to an f30, but BMW didn't care. Seems like you got really lucky. i got charged for mileage, tires, and dings.

Did you get your cars from the BMW dealer directly? I get my cars through leasing companies
BMW directly and use the same dealer every 3 years for just this reason.

Building a tight relationship with a single dealer at a single dealership really works to your advantage on many levels, from leasing to accessories to priority service appointments to loaner cars, I've even had my dealer drop off paperwork and floor mats at my house.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #119
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:

Building a tight relationship with a single dealer at a single dealership really works to your advantage on many levels, from leasing to accessories to priority service appointments to loaner cars, I've even had my dealer drop off paperwork and floor mats at my house.
I agree. Most don't realize the value of relationships. Independent lease return companies will end the waiving of dings, mileage etc.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #120
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Yup, so much this. Whenever I'm at the dealer for service I'll find the GM and the sales guy I bought my car from just to say hello and catch up.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #121
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
To be fair, it is possible.

I bought a highly modified Corvette, slowly parted out the mods and returned it closer to stock and was able to make a profit after sales tax, registration, service charges and even the tools I had to buy (turns out no normal jack fits under a Corvette). The only thing I didn't include in my spreadsheet was gas and time spent working on the car.

If you're good at spotting cars, negotiating, and reselling them it's a big time commitment but you can certainly make money doing it. In college we used to buy old beater cars for $1-100 that people couldn't get running and would be glad just to have towed off their property. Many of them just required fresh gas, some cheap parts and elbow grease to get running and they could be resold with no problems.
everything you buy in life should be met with the thought "how much do I want this? How much will someone be willing to pay me for it!"
      01-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #122
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Like most here, I buy Japanese, and I lease a secondary/fun (BMW) car. I can live with a lease payment of $600 indefinitely, as long as it keeps me in a new BMW and under warranty. Cost of entertainment, right?' BMW tends to give one of the best lease rates and best warranty in the industry so leasing is attractive to many

No disrespect, but "living within your means" is a poor excuse to not lease. For people who like to update their rides every 3-4 years, a lease can offer a path of least financial/personal risk.

ISO of Manual 535/550/335

Last edited by James550i6spd; 01-27-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #123
Salaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

Cool Cash is still King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
Now I pay cash. If I can'the buy it, I can't afford it.
many live beyond there means in today's society.
When I was younger, I always financed, and I made sure I was never upside down. Large amounts down and always had cash to spare. That extra cash was saved and invested. I've always made more in investments, than the amount the vehicle depreciated.

Put it simply, if I was quald for a 500k house, I didn't buy a 500k home, but rather bought a 300k home and saved the difference, building wealth.
I do agree, what I currently cannot afford, I do not acquire! When you can make that vehicle purchase without getting-in over your head...go for it. Then, there's that ability to sleep like a baby, working on an F32 right now.
Appreciate 0