E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB3 Stage 1 on N55

04-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

JB3 Stage 1 on N55

I'd like to get some personal opinions from those of you who have this. I'm especially interested in the guys that have otherwise stock vehicles. How is driveability/power delivery changed? I've seen the dyno plots, but those only provide limited information. Did you guys get the optional CAN tool? Is that recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

I've had it installed on my car for about two months now. The gains over stock are significant, but not drastic. I just brought my car back to stock so I can take it into the dealer and I'm noticing how much more lag there stock; it's also not as potent in higher RPMs. Even while idling I notice the chip. When you let go of the brakes, it rolls forward faster. I have had some problems in the past with it -- whenever below about 45 degrees in the morning it was almost sure to go into limp mode. All I needed to do was turn it off and back on and it worked fine, but it still is annoying. It hasn't had any problems at all in the recent past, but I also haven't had a seriously cold morning. But in the end, I'm very happy with it. I'm looking forward to putting it back in, and also installing the AR downpipes I just ordered. About drivability, it's still great. It's not unnatural in anyway. Definitely get it - you will enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Spdwrks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW GRAN COUPE

Nice feedback. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Yea, great review! Sounds like the positive points overwhelm the occasional bad points. Are you clearing the codes yourself with the CAN tool? If you could update us on whether the lag and the high rpm power loss are resolved by your trip to the dealer, that would be great.

Any other reviews out there?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dealer was just for regular service, it wasn't for any problems while stock. The lag was just the car in general, not as a result of anything special. Same goes with the high rpm power. The only thing is, the JB3 just makes the lag shorter and the high RPMs pull harder. I've never gotten any codes, but I also got the CAN tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just thought I'd share..I went to BMW and made sure I had the 4.20.1 DME software today and it turns out I did. Terry said that with this software and plugging the JB3 into a PC with the JB3 interface, you can turn up the boost from 2.5 psi over stock to 4 psi. I did that today, and now the car is MUCH faster than stock. It's made a huge difference and I'm loving it
Appreciate 0