R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #23
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
Yes i am swaying toward the Ohlins set up

RE the GTS 991 yes a lovely car but sold it as i wanted a M4 again

The power of the m4 and the torque was far superior and now in comp edition with MPE i also have a great noise

The other factor was the technology of the m4 was much better

The only thng i have to improve is the handling and specifically the damping of the BMW
Off the subject, I haven't driven a 991.1 GTS. Interesting to know about the power comparison between that and an M4. The 991.2 S with now a turbo platform is incredibly quick, the GTS version will be incredible. Good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Yes the gen 2 carrera s I test drove and enjoyed the turbo engine but it just did not feel right in a 911

The gen 1 GTS was the alternative and the noise from the N/A engine was awesome but stupidly I did not test drive it

The lack of torque was the main issue and coming from the M4 with the big wall of torque so early in the rev range it was so hard to not feel the 911 by comparison was lacking .

The new GTS when it comes out I will test drive and see but the other thing porsche need to do is up the technology game .

The sat nav and pcm in the 911 was rubbish compared to the M4
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #25
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In a straight line the 2 cars would be pretty close due to the traction being superior in the 911 but it wasn't about that for me .

The feeling you have as a driver is more important and I just enjoy the torque being there and not having to rev the car so hard to get it going all the time
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #26
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

How does this compare to the stock Competition Package suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #27
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
How does this compare to the stock Competition Package suspension?
Both coilovers mentioned in this thread will be an improvement over the ZCP suspension. Going from a stock F80 to KW CS is like going from a stock powered F80 to one with upgraded turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
Ohlins may ride better on the street but KW Clubsports are a superior handling package and hardly designed for "stance". KW is a more track oriented with stiffer spring rates, camber plates, adjustments, etc.

I daily my F80 with Clubsport 2-ways and I find that the ride is more than adequate. Depending on what generation 911 you are referring to it is not unreasonable to expect this platform to handle as good or better than a 911. With that being said, I have tracked a 2017 991.2 S with rear steering and that car would absolutely destroy just about any modified F8X. The 991.2 S is sublime.

Most Evo, STI, S2 guys choose Ohlins bc of its performance on the track especially on street tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #29
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Most Evo, STI, S2 guys choose Ohlins bc of its performance on the track especially on street tires.
Ohlins are a great product, no denying that. I ran Ohlins at one point on my STi and really liked them. However, your comments that KW 2-ways are more for stance and have less adjustability than Ohlin RT's is not true.

Ohlin RT's are more of street setup. For an Ohlins kit that has similar adjustments yet better to KW's, one would need the 2-way system. TTX rear damper and inverted front strut. Kit put together by PSI. This is my dream set-up but about 40% more than my KW CS kit.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11498.50
      02-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #30
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
Ohlins are a great product, no denying that. I ran Ohlins at one point on my STi and really liked them. However, your comments that KW 2-ways are more for stance and have less adjustability than Ohlin RT's is not true.

Ohlin RT's are more of street setup. For an Ohlins kit that has similar adjustments yet better to KW's, one would need the 2-way system. TTX rear damper and inverted front strut. Kit put together by PSI. This is my dream set-up but about 40% more than my KW CS kit.
I said if you want more drop go with the Clubsports, the Ohlins are designed to be close to stock height, minimal drop.

It comes down to the damper valving, you can get whatever springs you want. The valving on the Ohlins is similar to those found in $4k-5k coilovers.
The DFV has very advanced valving for this level damper which is a huge benefit for both street ride quality and track performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks anglo

Would you suggest the Ohlins road and track need camber plates ?

They do not come as standard
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #32
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
Thanks anglo

Would you suggest the Ohlins road and track need camber plates ?

They do not come as standard
If you track or autocross your car, yes.
Appreciate 0