E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear bumper damaged!

09-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Angry Rear bumper damaged!

What a bad run of luck. Earlier last month, my E90 had a door ding from some careless person. Today, I did the unthinkable myself. I backed my car into pole. It was a tight parking spot and I misjudged the distance. Anyway, I was backing up very slowly, so the damage is barely perceptible. There's no crack, fracture, or paint transfer. Just a shallow crease. It's very hard to spot. However, I'd still like to have it fixed or replaced. Does anyone know how much a replacement bumper plus installation would cost? How about repair? Called my bodyshop, but they want me to bring in the car. Too far away, and I'm really busy these days. Thanks.

PS: Why're all the rear bumpers made of plastic?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
e9tee
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: ///AMG C36

Sorry to hear about your car.....if it's so little as to no cracks, fracture, etc..then repainting should be ok...in LA area, people charge between $300-$500...depending on who's doing it and quality of materials/job, but you gotta show it to the bodyshop to get the real values...different areas charge different prices...

I wouldn't even bother if it's not even noticable...you might feel better about it but in the future, when u sell it to someone that can tell you've repainted the bumper, then they might think that your car was in a more serious incident (accident??)..so that might decrease the value of the price...just my opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hi e9tee. Thanks for the reply. But there's no paint removal. Just a small, shallow crease. How'd repainting help? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
If i were you, id leave it. If its not noticable, and theres no paint missing. Its prob not worth spening $300.. Knock on wood, but the reason id leave it, is if something greater were to happen, i could fix both at once. I know its hard since YOU know exactly where it hit.. but thats just my opinion.
      09-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Sorry to hear
I just did paintless dent repair on Saturday for my TSX and it is ~$75 a panel. It only took 15 minutes or they can come to your house if you are busy. Contact your local shop and ask if you are a candidate for paintless dent removal. The place I went to has a website where you can simply email them an image of the damage and they can tell you if it is repairable and for how much. Good luck fixing if you choose to do so.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 11:53 PM   #6
e9tee
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: ///AMG C36

Oh...I thought you wanted to replace/fix the paint on the BUMPER (not the dent on the door)...

I think you care a lot about your car and I'm pretty sure that when you take it in for the repair, you will want the best quality in materials/labor...again..it really depends on how much damage and how "good" the bodyshop is...but from my knowing...if they have to repaint the area...a good job requires sanding down the entire piece (door, bumper, etc..), patching, priming, etc...then paint (multiple layers and clearcoat, etc...)...which will take about 3-4 days to dry (in not too humid areas)....I would live with it unless (god-forbid) some else happens to it......maybe take a pic and show us...perhaps a paint expert will chime in
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 01:51 AM   #7
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drednik

PS: Why're all the rear bumpers made of plastic?
so they can bump off things. if they are made of metal is would of cost you more.
Appreciate 0