BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 LCI Remote start and door unlock not working on My BMW App.

12-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

2023 LCI Remote start and door unlock not working on My BMW App.

Has anyone received this error when trying to remote start? It has been working fine and then over the last couple of days it won’t work. And of course it’s winter here in NY.. Here are some details below

2023 LCI (traded a 2020 X5) I have been using the app for years. I’m not new to it. It worked great up until two days ago.

I can still remote start from the keyfob with no issues. 3 clicks etc.

All services and data services are on in the vehicle.
Enable remote start in comfort settings is on.
Half tank of gas and doors locked.
Garaged. But was never an issue before. For shits I pulled it outside walked away locked it and tried from phone again. No go…. But key fob remote start works.
Software is original. It does have the fix for the Corning light issue that was installed at the factory before I received it.. But no other upgrades since then.

Maybe the app updated or it’s on BMW end? Screenshot below.

Anyone getting this error?

Update I cannot lock or unlock with the app. Comes back with the same error. It’s got to be an issue with the BMW server. Although it is giving me accurate information as far as how much fuel is in it and the location of the vehicle.

Last edited by Ace6180G07; 12-17-2022 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Will it accept a sent destination from the app? I have had this issue a couple times with my m340 where the car seems like it isn’t receiving any requests from the bmw server but is still sending information. Try idrive reboot
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Will it accept a sent destination from the app? I have had this issue a couple times with my m340 where the car seems like it isn’t receiving any requests from the bmw server but is still sending information. Try idrive reboot
I think you’re right. It says the destination sent on app but it does not appear on the screen as destination received when I tried it.

Will try reboot. I think I’m getting that error because the app is sending the request and it’s getting nothing in return. No handshake etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Thank you for the tip. I rebooted the idrive and now it works.

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I have a question kind of related to this. How long does it typically take for your doors to unlock when using the app? Mine just sits with the little spinning circle on the unlock picture and never seems to go through. Maybe I need to reboot my idrive too, how do you do that?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocogrey1985 View Post
I have a question kind of related to this. How long does it typically take for your doors to unlock when using the app? Mine just sits with the little spinning circle on the unlock picture and never seems to go through. Maybe I need to reboot my idrive too, how do you do that?
Mine used to be pretty quick. Like 20 seconds or so from you pushing the command on the app.

Then all of a sudden it started failing. So I knew something wasn’t right.

Anyways this worked for me and it’s working now.

To reboot idrive push in the volume dial until the screen goes black. It takes some time though. I didn’t time it but it was damn near 20-30 seconds. Doesn’t sound like a lot of time. But when you’re pushing a button and waiting for something to happen it feels like forever.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Mine used to be pretty quick. Like 20 seconds or so from you pushing the command on the app.

Then all of a sudden it started failing. So I knew something wasn’t right.

Anyways this worked for me and it’s working now.

To reboot idrive push in the volume dial until the screen goes black. It takes some time though. I didn’t time it but it was damn near 20-30 seconds. Doesn’t sound like a lot of time. But when you’re pushing a button and waiting for something to happen it feels like forever.
Thank you!

One more question…Would you mind telling me how you have your settings configured in your phone and your car too? I’m wondering if my settings are what’s causing the issue.

I’ve had this problem since day one of using the app, but I gave up attempting to fix it after tech support tried sending a signal to my car without success a year ago. I’ve been wanting to buy the remote start feature now that it’s winter, but I imagine it won’t work if I can’t even unlock or lock my doors.

What’s really strange is…I just grabbed my key, unlocked my car, got in, got back out, locked it with the key and was able to unlock my car with the app in less than 10 seconds. I walked away from my car, came back and tried to unlock it again with the app and it didn’t work. It’s almost like my car goes into a deep sleep if it’s not touched for more than a few minutes and it stops the app from being able to communicate with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!

One more question…Would you mind telling me how you have your settings configured in your phone and your car too? I’m wondering if my settings are what’s causing the issue.

I’ve had this problem since day one of using the app, but I gave up attempting to fix it after tech support tried sending a signal to my car without success a year ago. I’ve been wanting to buy the remote start feature now that it’s winter, but I imagine it won’t work if I can’t even unlock or lock my doors.

What’s really strange is…I just grabbed my key, unlocked my car, got in, got back out, locked it with the key and was able to unlock my car with the app in less than 10 seconds. I walked away from my car, came back and tried to unlock it again with the app and it didn’t work. It’s almost like my car goes into a deep sleep if it’s not touched for more than a few minutes and it stops the app from being able to communicate with it.
Interesting symptoms. Maybe spoty cell coverage?

As for the setup I really don’t have any settings. I think it’s different in the idrive 8 (new version) once you download the app from the App Store the idrive 8 has a QR code that you scan with your phone.

No other setup it just does everything automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Interesting symptoms. Maybe spoty cell coverage?

As for the setup I really don’t have any settings. I think it’s different in the idrive 8 (new version) once you download the app from the App Store the idrive 8 has a QR code that you scan with your phone.

No other setup it just does everything automatically.
Very interesting indeed. My cell coverage is great in the few places I’ve tried to use it.

So on your settings, you don’t have connect via wifi/Bluetooth/Apple CarPlay, etc? I have my car connect to Apple CarPlay through wifi or Bluetooth (not sure which one). But when I’m not in my car and I’m trying to use the app, I wonder if it matters if I’m connected to my work wifi or if I should turn my wifi off and then try unlocking. None of it makes sense to me honestly lol. Im dropping my car off at the dealership tomorrow for a different issue and I requested a few mins with a genius who can hopefully show me how it needs to be set up properly and even more importantly, hope he can fix the issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #10
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting indeed. My cell coverage is great in the few places I’ve tried to use it.

So on your settings, you don’t have connect via wifi/Bluetooth/Apple CarPlay, etc? I have my car connect to Apple CarPlay through wifi or Bluetooth (not sure which one). But when I’m not in my car and I’m trying to use the app, I wonder if it matters if I’m connected to my work wifi or if I should turn my wifi off and then try unlocking. None of it makes sense to me honestly lol. Im dropping my car off at the dealership tomorrow for a different issue and I requested a few mins with a genius who can hopefully show me how it needs to be set up properly and even more importantly, hope he can fix the issue with it.
Yes my phone is connected by Bluetooth when I am in the vehicle. No Apple car play (I can’t stand it) so I don’t use it.

It shouldn’t matter if you are on Wi-Fi or not to use the my BMW app. Whether you are on Wi-Fi or 4g-5g coverage makes no difference. As long as the vehicle itself is in a decent coverage area when the command is sent it should work.

Yes ask the dealer to help you. They can probably remove you car from the account and reactivated it while you are there.
Appreciate 0