BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2020 M50i Failed Fuel Pump

02-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

2020 M50i Failed Fuel Pump

It's been almost two months since I've had my X7; been at the dealer since December 2020 waiting on a fuel pump. Anyone else out there waiting on a fuel pump?
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 01:57 AM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

If I were you I would just Lemon Law the thing and get a new one. https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/...arLaws/CH1.asp.

BMW seems to have plenty of these fuel pumps available for new builds but none for existing owners? I would not put up with this from any car manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
If I were you I would just Lemon Law the thing and get a new one. https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/...arLaws/CH1.asp.

BMW seems to have plenty of these fuel pumps available for new builds but none for existing owners? I would not put up with this from any car manufacturer.
At the 30 day mark they were served papers for Lemon Law! I went through this back in 2013 with Toyota. That process was pure hell, them calling me a liar in court, it was ugly, but I did win. Not only a refund but damages for them not following the law.

I filed for a replacement not a refund because I love the car, but the X7 loaner is a basic unit if you can call the X7 "basic". Manager at dealer is "waiting" on an answer from corporate on my options. At 2 months I miss my X7.
Attached Images

2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroSux View Post
At the 30 day mark they were served papers for Lemon Law! I went through this back in 2013 with Toyota. That process was pure hell, them calling me a liar in court, it was ugly, but I did win. Not only a refund but damages for them not following the law.

I filed for a replacement not a refund because I love the car, but the X7 loaner is a basic unit if you can call the X7 "basic". Manager at dealer is "waiting" on an answer from corporate on my options. At 2 months I miss my X7.
Glad to see you took the Lemon Law path.

I also went through the Lemon Law issue on a Ford. However, that was back in the early 90s. The Ford dealer immediately did the buy back and put me in a new vehicle without actually going through the Lemon Law.

In your previous Lemon Law case I would have also sued them for damages as well as pain and suffering from having those sleazy Corporate Lawyers trying to lay blame on you.

I know what you mean about loving the X7. I've had mine for 14 months and haven't even been able to make my usual road trips. With that said, I still drive somewhere every day just to get out of the house. 21K on my X7 already and I haven't even made a road trip yet.

I also have a part on order for my X7 that's coming from Germany. I hope it doesn't wind up being months before I get the part. At least I have possession of my X7 and can still drive it while I'm waiting for the parts.

Good Luck with your case and I sincerely hope you get a new vehicle out of this mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I also went through the Lemon Law issue on a Ford. However, that was back in the early 90s. The Ford dealer immediately did the buy back and put me in a new vehicle without actually going through the Lemon Law.

In your previous Lemon Law case I would have also sued them for damages as well as pain and suffering from having those sleazy Corporate Lawyers trying to lay blame on you.

I know what you mean about loving the X7. I've had mine for 14 months and haven't even been able to make my usual road trips. With that said, I still drive somewhere every day just to get out of the house. 21K on my X7 already and I haven't even made a road trip yet.

I also have a part on order for my X7 that's coming from Germany. I hope it doesn't wind up being months before I get the part. At least I have possession of my X7 and can still drive it while I'm waiting for the parts.

Good Luck with your case and I sincerely hope you get a new vehicle out of this mess.
Thanks for the wishes. I wanted to clarify the pump is under redesign from an Italian supplier. That is of course what I was told by the SA, so take that for what it’s worth.

Corporate did call today and stated we are all working to get you into a replacement. I’ll keep the board posted. I know a lot of people read without posting and it drives me crazy when posters don’t close the loop!
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the wishes. I wanted to clarify the pump is under redesign from an Italian supplier. That is of course what I was told by the SA, so take that for what it’s worth.

Corporate did call today and stated we are all working to get you into a replacement. I’ll keep the board posted. I know a lot of people read without posting and it drives me crazy when posters don’t close the loop!
Thanks for sharing. Let's hope you get a replacement. Not fair to be without the car for this long. And let us all know the resolution.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This seems like a line of crap to me. If that were the case we would be hearing all sorts of complaints from others who own the M50i. I haven't seen any other complaints here about M50i fuel pump failures.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:59 PM   #8
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2025 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Let's hope you get a replacement. Not fair to be without the car for this long. And let us all know the resolution.
I got the call from the dealer. BMW North America has denied my request for a replacement vehicle but yet tomorrow is 61 days, they have had my car.

Looks like they are forcing my hand into arbitration. Which I am fine with, I’ve danced with that devil before. I just expected more out of BMW than Toyota. But at least BMW hasn’t called me a liar, yet...
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      02-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Sounds total BS to me. Doesn't seem like a common problem with M50i. Ask them for 2 months equivalent compensation depending on whether you financed/leased. The only issue I'm having with mine is the headlights being too bright or out of alignment but at least I can drive!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2025 View Post
Here's the latest update:

When serving BMW NA with the certified letter of my intent to seek replacement under lemon law the dealer called and stated to give them a build code of the replacement vehicle since I didn't want to cash out and leave with money, but an X7 that is in working order.

I sent the sales manager the code and the replacement unit came in three weeks before my fuel pump for my 2020. But BMW NA is digging their heels in on it's not eligible because I purchased the vehicle used. Here's an excerpt of the law:

"The law also covers used vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer’s warranty." from [URL="https://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/handbooks/mncarlaws/CH1.asp"]

They offered a sum of monies, but it was insultingly low. Even if I take the compensation, BMW NA stated I would have to "give it back" if I won in arbitration or court.

I sent an email to Mr. Kuhnt, CEO BMW NA, and outlined everything. I got a call three hours later from the same Executive Customer Care rep and her boss acknowledging my email to the CEO. Information that I requested a month ago the boss called with the compensation amount less than 24 hours later. I thanked her for at least getting back to me and expressed my disappointment on how this has been handled and the offer.

Three months and three days later and no X7... Well, a white loaner X7... To whoever buys the X7 I built enjoy! I hope she serves you well for years to come!
Attached Images

2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that. Did they give you the blue one as replacement?
Good side at least they gave X7 loaner...My local dealership get customer an Enterprise rental since they have hundreds of cars to service everyday...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #12
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVZanetti View Post
Sorry to hear that. Did they give you the blue one as replacement?
Good side at least they gave X7 loaner...My local dealership get customer an Enterprise rental since they have hundreds of cars to service everyday...
No. They are not giving me the Blue one.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #13
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
No. They are not giving me the Blue one.
Are you proceeding with legal? Or waiting for your fuel pump? Or did you all agree to compensation? Sorry was a bit confused by your post. Nonetheless, hopefully it's an outcome you are happy with!
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #14
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
Are you proceeding with legal? Or waiting for your fuel pump? Or did you all agree to compensation? Sorry was a bit confused by your post. Nonetheless, hopefully it's an outcome you are happy with!
I am moving forward by whatever means for a replacement unit under lemon law. Even when I get mine back they have broken my faith in the reliability of the unit, and come on do the right thing BMW. They are forcing my hand to Arbitration.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #15
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
I am moving forward by whatever means for a replacement unit under lemon law. Even when I get mine back they have broken my faith in the reliability of the unit, and come on do the right thing BMW. They are forcing my hand to Arbitration.
Gotcha! Wishing you all the best man!
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #16
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Is BMW obligated to give you a new car to replace one you bought used? What is the resolution that is required of them under the law?

Sorry your car has been in the shop so long. Hope they make it right for you soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

In PA the law provides that when a manufacturer cannot repair a vehicle or other consumer good after a reasonable number of repair attempts and the defect is substantial, it must either replace the defective good or refund the consumer's money.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #18
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Is BMW obligated to give you a new car to replace one you bought used? What is the resolution that is required of them under the law?

Sorry your car has been in the shop so long. Hope they make it right for you soon.
Which Motor Vehicles Are Covered?
The Minnesota lemon law covers new and lightly used motor vehicles purchased or leased in Minnesota. The law covers passenger automobiles, as well as pickup trucks and vans. The motor vehicle chassis or van portion of a recreational vehicle (RV) is also covered. That means that as long as the “lemon” problem occurs in portions of the chassis and van covered by the warranty, the entire RV may be subject to replacement or refund. It does not cover other areas, such as living areas or other amenities that may have been added to the chassis by the RV manufacturer. The law also covers used vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer’s warranty. The vehicles must be used at least 40 percent of the time for personal, family, or household purposes (leased vehicles are covered by the law if the lease term is longer than four months).
For a vehicle to be covered, the defect must be reported within the warranty period, or two years, whichever comes first. If the defect is reported within this time period and you have continuing problems with the same defect, however, you still can make a claim until the end of the third year.
The Manufacturer’s Duty to Repair
The manufacturer or its authorized dealer must repair a motor vehicle in accordance with the terms of the warranty, even after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired, if:
The motor vehicle has a defect or problem that is covered by the warranty; and,
The problem has been reported by the vehicle’s owner within the warranty period, or within two years after original delivery of the vehicle, whichever comes first.
The Manufacturer’s Duty to Refund or Replace
The law has special refund and replacement provisions for cars that have substantial defects or problems. Such vehicles are commonly called “lemons.” Under the law, if the manufacturer or its authorized dealer has been unable to repair a car’s problem after a “reasonable number of attempts,” the buyer or lessee may go through a manufacturer’s arbitration program, or to court, to seek a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the car’s purchase price (minus a deduction for use of the vehicle). The law presumes a “reasonable number of attempts” to include any one of the following:
Four or more unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect; or,
One unsuccessful attempt to repair a defect that has caused the complete failure of the steering or braking system and that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven; or,
A car that has been out of service due to warranty repairs for 30 or more cumulative business days.
In each case, the initial defect must occur within the warranty period, or two years following the original delivery date, whichever comes first, but the manufacturer’s repair attempts may extend to the end of the third year. Even if your repair history does not fall into one of the above categories, you may still have a lemon law claim, but it will be harder to prove.
When Refunds or Replacements Are Not Given
Be aware that the manufacturer does not have to make a refund or replace the vehicle if:
The problem does not substantially impair the use or market value of the vehicle; or
The problem is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications or alterations to the vehicle.
Refund and Replacement Eligibility Requirements
Just because a repair shop has made a number of unsuccessful attempts to fix your car, you are not automatically eligible for a refund or replacement vehicle. You must first:
Write to the manufacturer or authorized dealer notifying them of the problem. Specifically state that your car is a lemon and that you want a refund or replacement under the lemon law. This does two things:
It gives the company an opportunity to fix the defect (the manufacturer gets one more chance to fix the defect after notification); and
It lets the company know you plan to use Minnesota’s lemon law if the defect is not properly repaired.
Try to resolve the problem through the manufacturer’s automobile dispute arbitration program.
The manufacturer may require you to first go through the arbitration program before filing a lawsuit under the lemon law. Check with the manufacturer or the Minnesota Attorney General’s Consumer Division if you have questions about a manufacturer’s arbitration program.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #19
Jspeed29
Private
Rep
Drives: X7M50i, MDX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post

Which Motor Vehicles Are Covered?
The Minnesota lemon law covers new and lightly used motor vehicles purchased or leased in Minnesota. The law covers passenger automobiles, as well as pickup trucks and vans. The motor vehicle chassis or van portion of a recreational vehicle (RV) is also covered. That means that as long as the “lemon” problem occurs in portions of the chassis and van covered by the warranty, the entire RV may be subject to replacement or refund. It does not cover other areas, such as living areas or other amenities that may have been added to the chassis by the RV manufacturer. The law also covers used vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer’s warranty. The vehicles must be used at least 40 percent of the time for personal, family, or household purposes (leased vehicles are covered by the law if the lease term is longer than four months).
For a vehicle to be covered, the defect must be reported within the warranty period, or two years, whichever comes first. If the defect is reported within this time period and you have continuing problems with the same defect, however, you still can make a claim until the end of the third year.
The Manufacturer’s Duty to Repair
The manufacturer or its authorized dealer must repair a motor vehicle in accordance with the terms of the warranty, even after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired, if:
The motor vehicle has a defect or problem that is covered by the warranty; and,
The problem has been reported by the vehicle’s owner within the warranty period, or within two years after original delivery of the vehicle, whichever comes first.
The Manufacturer’s Duty to Refund or Replace
The law has special refund and replacement provisions for cars that have substantial defects or problems. Such vehicles are commonly called “lemons.” Under the law, if the manufacturer or its authorized dealer has been unable to repair a car’s problem after a “reasonable number of attempts,” the buyer or lessee may go through a manufacturer’s arbitration program, or to court, to seek a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the car’s purchase price (minus a deduction for use of the vehicle). The law presumes a “reasonable number of attempts” to include any one of the following:
Four or more unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect; or,
One unsuccessful attempt to repair a defect that has caused the complete failure of the steering or braking system and that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven; or,
A car that has been out of service due to warranty repairs for 30 or more cumulative business days.
In each case, the initial defect must occur within the warranty period, or two years following the original delivery date, whichever comes first, but the manufacturer’s repair attempts may extend to the end of the third year. Even if your repair history does not fall into one of the above categories, you may still have a lemon law claim, but it will be harder to prove.
When Refunds or Replacements Are Not Given
Be aware that the manufacturer does not have to make a refund or replace the vehicle if:
The problem does not substantially impair the use or market value of the vehicle; or
The problem is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications or alterations to the vehicle.
Refund and Replacement Eligibility Requirements
Just because a repair shop has made a number of unsuccessful attempts to fix your car, you are not automatically eligible for a refund or replacement vehicle. You must first:
Write to the manufacturer or authorized dealer notifying them of the problem. Specifically state that your car is a lemon and that you want a refund or replacement under the lemon law. This does two things:
It gives the company an opportunity to fix the defect (the manufacturer gets one more chance to fix the defect after notification); and
It lets the company know you plan to use Minnesota’s lemon law if the defect is not properly repaired.
Try to resolve the problem through the manufacturer’s automobile dispute arbitration program.
The manufacturer may require you to first go through the arbitration program before filing a lawsuit under the lemon law. Check with the manufacturer or the Minnesota Attorney General’s Consumer Division if you have questions about a manufacturer’s arbitration program.
So I've had my X7M50i for 23 months and it's been it the shop 13 times since I bought this. 2 weeks ago, my car just stalls on me in the middle of the road and was towed to my dealer. They stated it's the fuel pump and it's on back order. How long have you guys waited for this?? Illinois lemon law states for the first 12 months. I am actually fed up with BMW and want to move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #20
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Sorry to hear. We’re in Elmhurst, bought/built ours from Elmhurst BMW and have never had any issue.

Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction!!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #21
Jspeed29
Private
Rep
Drives: X7M50i, MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Sorry to hear. We're in Elmhurst, bought/built ours from Elmhurst BMW and have never had any issue.

Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction!!
Thanks! Any suggestions on who to contact to speed up the process? I'm beyond Lemon Law in Illinois now… the wait is killing me! They built my X7 in 3 weeks and getting 1 part is unknown..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #22
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed29 View Post
So I've had my X7M50i for 23 months and it's been it the shop 13 times since I bought this. 2 weeks ago, my car just stalls on me in the middle of the road and was towed to my dealer. They stated it's the fuel pump and it's on back order. How long have you guys waited for this?? Illinois lemon law states for the first 12 months. I am actually fed up with BMW and want to move on.
Mine was out for 117 days waiting on a fuel pump.
2008 MB SLK55AMG
Appreciate 0