BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Thinking of coming back...

10-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Thinking of coming back...

Have been thinking of picking up the new M60i. Found a dealer with one inbound spec'd how I'd build one. Brooklyn Grey, Tartufo, all options, 22" bi-color wheels

So, I say coming back because I had a 2021 X7 M50i, fully loaded. Arctic Grey, Tartufo, all options, 22' wheels. I traded it in for various reasons last year, but I'm missing everything it had to offer.

Surprisingly, the M60i is slightly cheaper than my M50i with almost the same options. My M50i did have captains chairs and the spare tire, but that's the only difference I can see. I'm opting for the bench now...one of the reasons we got rid of the M50i.

From reading all the posts, most are happy with the LCI.

Was hoping to get some feedback from owners who had an M50i and are now driving an M60i. What's your thoughts on everything.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
S61
Rep
Drives: X5

Which car did you trade the 50i for? Curious, we just got rid of a 2020 GLE for 40i LCI. Overall seems like it’s good value of what’s included for the $
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S61 View Post
Which car did you trade the 50i for? Curious, we just got rid of a 2020 GLE for 40i LCI. Overall seems like it’s good value of what’s included for the $
We got an Audi SQ5. Wanted to go with a smaller SUV at the time...got a great deal on our trade offer for the M50i...almost what we paid for it new. This was the height of the lockdown when new and used cars were impossible to find.

The Audi has been awesome, but we feel the small size on road trips. Just need to be back in something with more space.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

I would poke around this forum. Opinions are extremely mixed. As for me I am extremely happy with it and came from a 2020 X5. Just came back from a long road trip. We missed the space also. That’s why we got the X7. It’s just the right size. Had a 2017 GLS that we loved size wise also. I know what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
I would poke around this forum. Opinions are extremely mixed. As for me I am extremely happy with it and came from a 2020 X5. Just came back from a long road trip. We missed the space also. That’s why we got the X7. It’s just the right size. Had a 2017 GLS that we loved size wise also. I know what you mean.
I agree 100 percent. Very mixed reactions to the LCI. I get a feeling that those people who owned an pre-LCI version or any BMW that had I drive 7 seem to be the ones that are most unhappy with the LCI. Those where this is their first experience in a newer BMW seem to like it just fine. But that is just my hot take. I have no science to back it up.

Last edited by jdloyd01; 10-29-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Missduvy288.00
      10-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Heading to the dealership today to take a look at an LCI before the M60i arrives. Just want to get a feel for the overall package. I did quite like the pre-LCI tech and all the real buttons to access functions.

I owned a Volvo XC90 before with the full touch screen to access everything. Great car, timeless style, but frustrating and slow interface.

One of the reasons we went with an SQ5 versus Q7 or Q8. The latter two had everything via touchscreen.

I'll post back here my thoughts having owned an M50i and also having an 2019 X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
S61
Rep
Drives: X5

what I can tell coming back to BMW is that the App & overall iDrive is developed and fast! Mercedes was very lacking.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2022, 06:00 PM   #8
Saejin
Captain
Rep

So, was able to swing by and test drive an X7 40i model that was well spec’d.

Couple of things I noticed
- ac vent controls are odd…got used to them and to be honest once set them I don’t change the direction much…wife felt they would break easily
- ac in the 40i worked well, but it was 60* here in Denver today
- 40i did well and had some pep…however I could feel it working during highway on ramps and merging into traffic after a stop light or intersection…much prefer the M60i
- wind noise was noticeable on this which seemed odd…it’s been a year since we had our M50i, so I can’t recall is the same or similar noise was on that.
- the large screen seemed out of place especially on a driver oriented vehicle which BMW tries to impart. When looking at the screen through the steering wheel opening, it didn’t fit nor feel right…I could see the square corners and odd angle it was at like it wasn’t really focused on the driver and kinda placed there as an afterthought.
This is disappointing and may be the single most reason we don’t get the X7 again.
- the new HUD graphics are cool

Anyway going back this week to look at the M60i as well as drive it…it’s arriving on Tue or Wed, so will post an update then.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56292.50
      10-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #9
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Will spend most of the time at the next visit going through the screen and HUD options. I’ve been focusing more on the HUD display when driving, so the screen placement and design may not be a huge issue.

Is there anything else I would focus on or dig into while taking a closer look. I’ll poke around more here, but wanted to ask as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #10
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Will spend most of the time at the next visit going through the screen and HUD options. I’ve been focusing more on the HUD display when driving, so the screen placement and design may not be a huge issue.

Is there anything else I would focus on or dig into while taking a closer look. I’ll poke around more here, but wanted to ask as well.
I would play with navigation and parking to get a feel for those.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #11
Saejin
Captain
Rep

OK, been digging through the posts here and came across some more questions/comments for anyone with feedback or anyone in the same boat I'm in looking to upgrade to an LCI from a previous model.

- looks like there will be a hardware service pack coming out in 4/2023 bringing some additional capability with autonomous driving between 40-80mph...I guess this is cool...in my M50i I thought the driver's assistance aids were awesome and I'm hearing the LCI is even better. I of one appreciate the assistance this may bring, but it's not a deal breaker for me and will probably not wait. If I'm heading down the highway at 80mph, I don't want some AI making the decisions for me on driving. The other day in Denver, two lunatics having a road rage episode passed me in the left median...the first car that passed stayed far left...the second truck for some reason decided to cut me off and I had to swerve to the right...was going about 70mph...not sure what would have happened had I not had my hands on the wheel and AI was driving instead

- there was some chatter about the new V8 engine possibly having a power bump in the M60i in 2024. This similar to the X3 M40i first coming out with something like 325hp in 2019 and then in 2020 with the X3 was outfitted with the new idrive and some other bits it was bumped up to 380...same engine, they just changed the tune.
Obviously the V8 being an "M" engine is capable of much more than 523hp...this would be pretty disappointing if BMW decided to bump the hp on 2024+ models to 550 or 575. Haven't seen too much info on this though.

- comfort access removed on rear doors...this is cost cutting and to be honest I can't remember a time I grabbed the rear door to unlock...I don't have small kiddos anymore, so guess that explains it
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #12
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Oh, one more thing. Since I can't test drive this at night, which is something I always comment to the SA's when looking at new cars, does the additional ambient lighting on the passengers side dash have an off setting...as in can you just turn that portion off like you can turn the B&W speaker lighting off.

I will say with all the lighting turn on full brightness, speakers and such, plus the larger screen, the lighting can become a distraction at night especially on dark highways.

And, with that ask, can you turn the right portion of the huge screen off as well and just leave the speed portion on. Int eh past when they were separate you could turn the center screen off...just wondering if that's still the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 08:42 PM   #13
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Oh, one more thing. Since I can't test drive this at night, which is something I always comment to the SA's when looking at new cars, does the additional ambient lighting on the passengers side dash have an off setting...as in can you just turn that portion off like you can turn the B&W speaker lighting off.

I will say with all the lighting turn on full brightness, speakers and such, plus the larger screen, the lighting can become a distraction at night especially on dark highways.

And, with that ask, can you turn the right portion of the huge screen off as well and just leave the speed portion on. Int eh past when they were separate you could turn the center screen off...just wondering if that's still the case.
I don't think you can turn that off individually, but you can dim all of it and there is a setting to dim it at night automatically. Which I did because it was reflecting off of the passenger window.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #14
Jakkk
Rep
Drives: 2021 Ford f150, 2023 BMW X7

Quote:
OK, been digging through the posts here and came across some more questions/comments for anyone with feedback or anyone in the same boat I'm in looking to upgrade to an LCI from a previous model.

- looks like there will be a hardware service pack coming out in 4/2023 bringing some additional capability with autonomous driving between 40-80mph...I guess this is cool...in my M50i I thought the driver's assistance aids were awesome and I'm hearing the LCI is even better. I of one appreciate the assistance this may bring, but it's not a deal breaker for me and will probably not wait. If I'm heading down the highway at 80mph, I don't want some AI making the decisions for me on driving. The other day in Denver, two lunatics having a road rage episode passed me in the left median...the first car that passed stayed far left...the second truck for some reason decided to cut me off and I had to swerve to the right...was going about 70mph...not sure what would have happened had I not had my hands on the wheel and AI was driving instead

- there was some chatter about the new V8 engine possibly having a power bump in the M60i in 2024. This similar to the X3 M40i first coming out with something like 325hp in 2019 and then in 2020 with the X3 was outfitted with the new idrive and some other bits it was bumped up to 380...same engine, they just changed the tune.
Obviously the V8 being an "M" engine is capable of much more than 523hp...this would be pretty disappointing if BMW decided to bump the hp on 2024+ models to 550 or 575. Haven't seen too much info on this though.

- comfort access removed on rear doors...this is cost cutting and to be honest I can't remember a time I grabbed the rear door to unlock...I don't have small kiddos anymore, so guess that explains it
Without digging into the details, I wanted to say that if you like the SQ5 then I can't imagine you will not prefer the X7. My wife had a 2021 Q7 prestige and we find that the X7 is on another level. All good vehicles though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

Quote:

I find that annoying also but everything else which is a plus makes up for it. I'm not used to the off center screen also. I just wished they angled it a little towards the right and it would've been perfect but then again there might be something preventing that decision. Overall I'm very happy with my 40
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #16
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkk View Post
Without digging into the details, I wanted to say that if you like the SQ5 then I can't imagine you will not prefer the X7. My wife had a 2021 Q7 prestige and we find that the X7 is on another level. All good vehicles though.
Well, we had a 2021 X7 M50i, Arctic Grey, Tartufo, every option you could get in late summer of 2020. IIRC they had dropped night vision and rear entertainment by then…maybe some others but not sure exactly. Picked it up in Nov 2020. Had the 22s, bought a second set of the 21s as a winter set, etc, etc.

Awesome car and loved it. Got a smoking deal on it, 10% off MSRP.
We had made the jump from a Volvo XC90 and this was a huge upgrade.

A year and 20,000 miles later with road trips to Vegas, LA, and all the way to MD we decided to trade her in for the SQ5. Our kiddos, well young adults now weren’t traveling as much with us. Our daughter moved out and our son has his own X3. We felt the X7 was too big for what we needed and cost was pretty high for something we thought at the time was a bit too large for our needs. Plus we had the captains chairs and it made for awkward drives with our dog who refused to sit in the chair. Had to build some makeshift platform for her out of blankets and luggage.

Wanted to jump into an X5 then, but supply chain issues impacted X5s where some would arrive with no touch screens, no B&W, no wireless charging, etc. It was a crap shoot.

We got a killer offer on the X7 from the local Audi dealer whom I’ve bought a car or two from before. Didn’t like the Q8 or Q7 and felt the SQ5 would be a great fun car at the perfect size for the wife and I. Didn’t have time to wait for a Macan or Cayenne either which was my first choice.

Well it’s been fun and a blast to drive, but the size isn’t working out. The week after we got it we drove to TX from CO and quickly realized there was no room for us plus our son and dog who went with us. We then took another road trip to MD to visit our daughter and that was even more eye opening when it came to size and comfort. We even had a Thule topper and still ran out of room.

The 10-12 hours drive back to back really wore on me in the smaller SQ5. The lack of driver assistance at the level of the X7 had me feeling much more tired at the end of the day. Digging through the cargo area for stuff I had buried in there because of no space was annoying. I missed the B&W, the massive sun roof, the massage seats, the cooled seats, the tech, etc, etc.

So, we’ll probably pick up this M60i on Thursday.
Brooklyn Grey, Tartufo, 2nd row bench, 22” wheels, and all the options minus space saver spare.

At this point the overall package of the LCI and new engine far outweigh the annoyances of the screen, idrive8, and lack of buttons.
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #17
andyli888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M60i/X7M50i(Sold)/GLS63/TRX

After about 300 miles, I'm adjusting well to idrive 8 personally. I had a 2020 X7 M50i. The Voice control for idrive 8 has replaced pretty much all the buttons well enough that I don't miss it at all. Not too mention the car has more character. The Pre LCI M felt more like a package. The LCI M60i feels more like a detuned M car.
Appreciate 1
BMWX735.50
      10-31-2022, 08:59 PM   #18
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
I test drove a 40i over the weekend and really love the interior and tech. I thought I would miss physical buttons considering all my other BMWs have them. But BMW did a great job with voice commands. I was able to change climate settings, put my fav music and directions. It was amazing that you can switch on heated seats. Now knowing my son, he will be giving a lot of instructions that might contradict with mine. And then I might miss physical buttons.
40i engine seemed plentiful for the size of the vehicle. It felt very similar to my x4 28i and not 335i. Plan to drive 60i next weekend and make a decision. I like the fact apr 23 brings new hardware and possibly additional power but I m not sure if I can wait that long specially after driving 60i. The incoming 60i has everything I want from packages perspective too
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 06:21 AM   #19
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyli888 View Post
After about 300 miles, I'm adjusting well to idrive 8 personally. I had a 2020 X7 M50i. The Voice control for idrive 8 has replaced pretty much all the buttons well enough that I don't miss it at all. Not too mention the car has more character. The Pre LCI M felt more like a package. The LCI M60i feels more like a detuned M car.
You must have forgot what it feels like or never driven a full, actual M vehicle. Aside, the M60i is well heavier than the M50i at same output numbers & suspension components, so I'm wondering what you're feeling there - but it's hard to fathom anybody would think this drives better.
      11-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #20
Jakkk
Rep
Drives: 2021 Ford f150, 2023 BMW X7

Quote:
Well, we had a 2021 X7 M50i, Arctic Grey, Tartufo, every option you could get in late summer of 2020. IIRC they had dropped night vision and rear entertainment by then…maybe some others but not sure exactly. Picked it up in Nov 2020. Had the 22s, bought a second set of the 21s as a winter set, etc, etc.

Awesome car and loved it. Got a smoking deal on it, 10% off MSRP.
We had made the jump from a Volvo XC90 and this was a huge upgrade.

A year and 20,000 miles later with road trips to Vegas, LA, and all the way to MD we decided to trade her in for the SQ5. Our kiddos, well young adults now weren’t traveling as much with us. Our daughter moved out and our son has his own X3. We felt the X7 was too big for what we needed and cost was pretty high for something we thought at the time was a bit too large for our needs. Plus we had the captains chairs and it made for awkward drives with our dog who refused to sit in the chair. Had to build some makeshift platform for her out of blankets and luggage.

Wanted to jump into an X5 then, but supply chain issues impacted X5s where some would arrive with no touch screens, no B&W, no wireless charging, etc. It was a crap shoot.

We got a killer offer on the X7 from the local Audi dealer whom I’ve bought a car or two from before. Didn’t like the Q8 or Q7 and felt the SQ5 would be a great fun car at the perfect size for the wife and I. Didn’t have time to wait for a Macan or Cayenne either which was my first choice.

Well it’s been fun and a blast to drive, but the size isn’t working out. The week after we got it we drove to TX from CO and quickly realized there was no room for us plus our son and dog who went with us. We then took another road trip to MD to visit our daughter and that was even more eye opening when it came to size and comfort. We even had a Thule topper and still ran out of room.

The 10-12 hours drive back to back really wore on me in the smaller SQ5. The lack of driver assistance at the level of the X7 had me feeling much more tired at the end of the day. Digging through the cargo area for stuff I had buried in there because of no space was annoying. I missed the B&W, the massive sun roof, the massage seats, the cooled seats, the tech, etc, etc.

So, we’ll probably pick up this M60i on Thursday.
Brooklyn Grey, Tartufo, 2nd row bench, 22” wheels, and all the options minus space saver spare.

At this point the overall package of the LCI and new engine far outweigh the annoyances of the screen, idrive8, and lack of buttons.
You certainly log some miles! Brooklyn Grey is a head turner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #21
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
Congrats on the new ride that Brooklyn grey is such a nice color.

Were trading in my wife's X7 in a couple weeks
      11-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #22
vegam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkk View Post
You certainly log some miles! Brooklyn Grey is a head turner.
I see what you did there
Appreciate 0