LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I do not believe this to be true.

My 4 Series has DHP with the Active M Suspension. Computers, dampers, in milliseconds it reads the roads and physically adjusts the suspension on the fly for the best possible driving experience.

Our X7's do not have any active suspension components. We have air suspension for height and we have a chip that can change the steering radius, but nothing physical is happening to the steering rack or the suspension components to make for a more sporty ride. The stock X7 and the DHP X7 handle the same.

This is what was explained to me at the dealership and by geniuses.
From the DHP package description on BMW's website:

Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

Active Comfort Drive's electromechanically-operated stabilization system allows your vehicle to handle corners with comfort and precision. Road Preview uses a forward-facing camera mounted behind the rear view mirror to read the road surface and adjust the suspension system in real time via the Dynamic Damper Control system. Together, they impart an unrivaled combination of sporty handling and luxurious riding comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
From the DHP package description on BMW's website:

Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

Active Comfort Drive's electromechanically-operated stabilization system allows your vehicle to handle corners with comfort and precision. Road Preview uses a forward-facing camera mounted behind the rear view mirror to read the road surface and adjust the suspension system in real time via the Dynamic Damper Control system. Together, they impart an unrivaled combination of sporty handling and luxurious riding comfort.
I believe that’s not DHP but a different option. My understanding is that feature only functions when you are actively navigating to a destination and are using the BMW navigation. For everyday driving, or if you use Apple, Waze, or Google Maps, it has no impact.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #25
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I believe that’s not DHP but a different option. My understanding is that feature only functions when you are actively navigating to a destination and are using the BMW navigation. For everyday driving, or if you use Apple, Waze, or Google Maps, it has no impact.
No, that’s one of the three parts of the DHP package on the X7.

DHP on the X7 consists of the M Sport Brakes, Integral Active Steering and Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview.

That’s not correct that the Active Comfort Drive only functions when actively using navigation. It uses camera data to adjust the suspension for road conditions regardless of navigation settings.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #26
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
I do not believe this to be true.

My 4 Series has DHP with the Active M Suspension. Computers, dampers, in milliseconds it reads the roads and physically adjusts the suspension on the fly for the best possible driving experience.

Our X7's do not have any active suspension components. We have air suspension for height and we have a chip that can change the steering radius, but nothing physical is happening to the steering rack or the suspension components to make for a more sporty ride. The stock X7 and the DHP X7 handle the same.

This is what was explained to me at the dealership and by geniuses.
Todd, when I was looking to have the geniuses educate me on DHP, they were lost in the sauce. I didn't know that DHP was even offered on the 4 series, I thought that the Adaptive M Suspension was the only option for the 4series. They also told me they had never seen one in inventory to actually be able to test it out. It is not the same as Adaptive M Suspension(I've ordered that on one of my F15 X5 back in 2014). DHP does indeed make the comfort more comfortable and sporty more sporty from personal everyday experience. I recently had a loaner X7 with just air suspension and it drove good and the ride was good, the DHP elevates that a notch and with such a large vehicle(SAV), every little bit helps. I will never order another X7 without it unless they come up with something greater.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #27
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKittrell View Post
Todd, when I was looking to have the geniuses educate me on DHP, they were lost in the sauce. I didn't know that DHP was even offered on the 4 series, I thought that the Adaptive M Suspension was the only option for the 4series. They also told me they had never seen one in inventory to actually be able to test it out. It is not the same as Adaptive M Suspension(I've ordered that on one of my F15 X5 back in 2014). DHP does indeed make the comfort more comfortable and sporty more sporty from personal everyday experience. I recently had a loaner X7 with just air suspension and it drove good and the ride was good, the DHP elevates that a notch and with such a large vehicle(SAV), every little bit helps. I will never order another X7 without it unless they come up with something greater.
That sounds cool, thanks.

Living in the NYC area I need DHP for pothole explosions and I have to tell you that the X7 (no DHP) is just as good at pothole mitigation as my 4 Series (DHP with Adaptive M) and my X7 is operating on the standard suspension. So whatever BMW is doing to the stock setup is working wonders. Hitting the Sport Individual button reduced the body roll too.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #28
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

This has been interesting reading but would like to offer technical clarifications regarding ZDH option on the X7.

What's good is that everyone knows what's included in ZDH Dynamic Handling Package:

1. M Sport brakes (Std on M50i, 40i/50i included in PKG)
2. M Sport differential (Std on M50i, 50i included in PKG, 40i not available)
3. Integral Active Steering (IAS)
4. Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

What's also good is everyone has a great understanding of package items 1 to 3.

What's not clear is 4.

Specifically, is there anything beyond active dampening, 2-axle air and camera systems previewing the road and actively providing suspension adjustments?

There is a component of item 4 that is unfortunately not mentioned or called out that is included as part of Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview which is:

Electronic active roll stabilization (EARSVV front and EARSVH rear)

From BMW on X7:
The Active Comfort Drive with road preview works with the two-axle air suspension and an active roll-stabilization system to not only improve agility and directional stability when turning into corners but to also optimize traction when accelerating out of them too.

The system uses camera sensors to preview the road ahead of the vehicle and proactively make suspension adjustments to not only tighten up suspension settings for upcoming turns but to also increase straight-line comfort by actively countering oscillations triggered by road surface imperfections.

On the X7 when optioned with ZDH, Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview includes electronic active roll stabilization, just like the G12 7 Series. It also works exactly like the 7 Series. I've enclosed the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview technical schematic for Bimmer tech geeks.

Active Comfort Drive has the following additional
components:

• Wheel acceleration sensors on all 4 wheel carriers
Electric active stabilizers on the front and rear axles
• An additional 12 V battery as well as a DC/DC converter
• A stereo camera in the windscreen

Wheel acceleration sensors are used in Active Comfort Drive for the following reasons:

• More precise disturbance variable control of the electric active stabilizers (EARSV) possible.
Avoidance of so-called copying from one wheel to the other in the event of road bumps.
• Precise regulation of the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is possible through detection
of the wheel movement via the wheel acceleration sensors and the body movement via the
ride height sensors.

Car & Driver very briefly mentions ZDH:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...v-first-drive/

"For the paved parts of the world sure to be the X7's domain, the ute is available with the Dynamic Handling package. It adds larger brakes, rear-wheel steering, active anti-roll bars, and, on V-8 models, the electronically controlled rear differential."

And Bimmercat documenting Stabilizer/Dynamic Drive:

Front
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/31_1587

Rear
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/33_2336

TLDR;
All X7s come standard with active suspension components:

1. Dynamic Damper Control
2. 2-axle Air Suspension

Driving Experience Control switches on the center console - Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus - effect the Dynamic Damper Control. All G05/7 air suspension struts are equipped with D/EDC with expansion stage high and features continuous damper control which adapts to road conditions.

X7s when optioned with ZDH includes active roll stabilization. X7s with ZDH are going to provide flatter handling response than one without.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
toddwalton1239.00
Haris161.50
srisri6.00
      02-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #29
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

IAS

I'm a new owner of a 2020 X7 M50i - I bought it (slightly) used and it came with IAS. When I was looking at new builds it was an option I really wanted but wasn't sure if it justified the price tag. Had I bought new I probably would have left it off...

After driving my X7 for less than a week I can say without question that it is a must-have feature. My car feels unbelievably nimble around corners and in parking lots. On the highway during lane changes it feels like a video game - no back-end correction/jerk at the end. It's a totally different driving experience.

I had driven an Acura MDX Sport for the last 10 years or so - it's a great car and I always felt it handled turns really well. Case in point - I got back in it the other day to run something across town. I went to make a right turn onto a cross street and almost hit a car pulling out. It was that big of a difference.

Absolutely get IAS, you will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #30
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf5 View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2020 X7 M50i - I bought it (slightly) used and it came with IAS. When I was looking at new builds it was an option I really wanted but wasn't sure if it justified the price tag. Had I bought new I probably would have left it off...

After driving my X7 for less than a week I can say without question that it is a must-have feature. My car feels unbelievably nimble around corners and in parking lots. On the highway during lane changes it feels like a video game - no back-end correction/jerk at the end. It's a totally different driving experience.

I had driven an Acura MDX Sport for the last 10 years or so - it's a great car and I always felt it handled turns really well. Case in point - I got back in it the other day to run something across town. I went to make a right turn onto a cross street and almost hit a car pulling out. It was that big of a difference.

Absolutely get IAS, you will not regret it.
But have you driven one without IAS to compare?
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #31
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
But have you driven one without IAS to compare?
I drove a new 40i and a used 50i, neither of them had IAS. I drove them before I drove the M50i I ultimately purchased, which has IAS. I didn't notice the absence of it, I'm sure if I went back and drove them again now I would.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #32
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds cool, thanks.

Living in the NYC area I need DHP for pothole explosions and I have to tell you that the X7 (no DHP) is just as good at pothole mitigation as my 4 Series (DHP with Adaptive M) and my X7 is operating on the standard suspension. So whatever BMW is doing to the stock setup is working wonders. Hitting the Sport Individual button reduced the body roll too.
Lol, NYC area dealers should not have a inventory BMW on the lot without DHP. The regular full air suspension is definitely good. Both setups really give you a sense of driving a significantly smaller vehicle, something our GLS AMG63 was never able to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #33
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
This has been interesting reading but would like to offer technical clarifications regarding ZDH option on the X7.

What's good is that everyone knows what's included in ZDH Dynamic Handling Package:

1. M Sport brakes (Std on M50i, 40i/50i included in PKG)
2. M Sport differential (Std on M50i, 50i included in PKG, 40i not available)
3. Integral Active Steering (IAS)
4. Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

What's also good is everyone has a great understanding of package items 1 to 3.

What's not clear is 4.

Specifically, is there anything beyond active dampening, 2-axle air and camera systems previewing the road and actively providing suspension adjustments?

There is a component of item 4 that is unfortunately not mentioned or called out that is included as part of Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview which is:

Electronic active roll stabilization (EARSVV front and EARSVH rear)

From BMW on X7:
The Active Comfort Drive with road preview works with the two-axle air suspension and an active roll-stabilization system to not only improve agility and directional stability when turning into corners but to also optimize traction when accelerating out of them too.

The system uses camera sensors to preview the road ahead of the vehicle and proactively make suspension adjustments to not only tighten up suspension settings for upcoming turns but to also increase straight-line comfort by actively countering oscillations triggered by road surface imperfections.

On the X7 when optioned with ZDH, Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview includes electronic active roll stabilization, just like the G12 7 Series. It also works exactly like the 7 Series. I've enclosed the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview technical schematic for Bimmer tech geeks.

Active Comfort Drive has the following additional
components:

• Wheel acceleration sensors on all 4 wheel carriers
Electric active stabilizers on the front and rear axles
• An additional 12 V battery as well as a DC/DC converter
• A stereo camera in the windscreen

Wheel acceleration sensors are used in Active Comfort Drive for the following reasons:

• More precise disturbance variable control of the electric active stabilizers (EARSV) possible.
Avoidance of so-called copying from one wheel to the other in the event of road bumps.
• Precise regulation of the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is possible through detection
of the wheel movement via the wheel acceleration sensors and the body movement via the
ride height sensors.

Car & Driver very briefly mentions ZDH:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...v-first-drive/

"For the paved parts of the world sure to be the X7's domain, the ute is available with the Dynamic Handling package. It adds larger brakes, rear-wheel steering, active anti-roll bars, and, on V-8 models, the electronically controlled rear differential."

And Bimmercat documenting Stabilizer/Dynamic Drive:

Front
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/31_1587

Rear
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/33_2336

TLDR;
All X7s come standard with active suspension components:

1. Dynamic Damper Control
2. 2-axle Air Suspension

Driving Experience Control switches on the center console - Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus - effect the Dynamic Damper Control. All G05/7 air suspension struts are equipped with D/EDC with expansion stage high and features continuous damper control which adapts to road conditions.

X7s when optioned with ZDH includes active roll stabilization. X7s with ZDH are going to provide flatter handling response than one without.
This is awesome, thank you. Quick question for you. Do you have photos up of your exterior/interior color combination X5?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #34
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is awesome, thank you. Quick question for you. Do you have photos up of your exterior/interior color combination X5?
I do.
Attached Images

Last edited by Auricom; 02-13-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      02-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #35
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do.
Thank you a million!!!! I was wondering if the night blue was a good contrast to the PB. It appears to be!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do.
Thank you a million!!!! I was wondering if the night blue was a good contrast to the PB. It appears to be!
Ja I was also worried with the contrast with all the blues - interior, exterior, brakes, laser light elements. I'm glad that night blue is a bit darker and a different shade than Phytonic.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #37
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Ja I was worried too on the contrast and lots of blues. Rhe night blue is a bit darker and a different shade from Phytonic. I get a lot of compliments.
Thanks for the great post - glad I ordered DHP.

What color trim do you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #38
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anthracite brown poplar matte.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #39
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Anthracite brown poplar matte.
Awesome - thats what I ordered.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4349.50
      02-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #40
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaaan View Post
Trying to decide if I should opt for DHP or not.

From all the research I did, I havnt been able to find a clear answer.

Will you experience a smoother ride just highway driving compared to a non-dhp x7?
The all wheel steering is not only convenience but improved safety. Please check at google all wheel steering and there are many scientific articles about this.
Despite the above the all wheel steering gives very different feel the large car feels like sedan when it comes to steering turning and so on
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #41
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

The Active Roll stabilization is the biggest/most important part of the whole DHP package. It makes a tremendous difference to the amount of body roll experienced during cornering. Especially when in the Sport of Sport+ modes, ARS really cuts down on the lean you feel in turns and keeps the vehicle much flatter when you are pushing things on a curvy road. It also doesn't sacrifice overall comfort for highway/straight line driving, so it's really a win-win. If you drive even remotely spirited, you will definitely feel the difference of a DHP car versus a non-DHP one. the fact that DHP also has the IAS and road-preview is just icing on the cake.

I custom ordered DHP (a $4,500 option) on our 2016 X5 and will do the same when we order an X7 for my wife in a few months. Without a doubt this was the best option we put on the X5 as it really does transform how these large, top-heavy SUVs handle.

Last edited by Influence; 02-17-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 1