forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Extended Warranty

02-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
bmwx7lover
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X7

Extended Warranty

I will be getting my X7 40i by this month end. Dealer is offering extended warranty for $6900 (8 years and 80,000) miles $100 deductible (provider is Fidelity). I did not find any posting on extended warranty. Please let me know if any one purchased extended warranty from BMW and how much you payed. Thank you for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
There is another thread in this forum that discusses this topic in more detail (even more discussions in other forums as well). It really comes down to how much are you willing to pay for "piece of mind" and what exactly you are getting for what you are paying. That price seems on the high side as dealers use these extended warranty options to help improve their profit - they are marked up a lot (think undercarriage rust protection add on). A few things to consider...

1) In general, any extended warranty plan from BMW will be more expensive than an aftermarket extended warranty company for the same amount of coverage.

2) The sooner you buy one (i.e. the fewer miles/years on your car) the cheaper it will be - regardless of extended warranty company (including the dealer).

3) How long do you plan to keep the car? If you like to get a new car close to 4yrs/50k miles (the typical new car warranty period) or less, an extended warranty, regardless of price or coverage, may not be a good investment.

4) Read the fine print closely to determine what the extended warranty covers AND does not cover. Almost all extended warranty programs are not the same as the new car bumper-to-bumper warranty. IIRC, BMW has some extended warranty plans that do extend the full bumper-to-bumper coverage. But they are more expensive than most and usually you have to get it very early in car ownership.

Some people swear by them and have got their money's worth (and then some) out their plan. While most probably don't come close to using it. I am personally not a fan, especially if the car model I buy is reasonably reliable. But if I did get one, I would go aftermarket to save some money. IMHO, item 4 above is what is most important when determining if you want one or not as you don't want to spend good money on an extended warranty plan only to not have it cover something that you thought was covered when you needed it.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Mercedes offers a factory extended warranty that goes as long as 7 year 125k miles. There are dealers that will sell those for up to 40% off MSRP.

Does BMW offer a similar factory extended warranty and are there any dealers that will sell those at a discount?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Mercedes offers a factory extended warranty that goes as long as 7 year 125k miles. There are dealers that will sell those for up to 40% off MSRP.

Does BMW offer a similar factory extended warranty and are there any dealers that will sell those at a discount?
That's a decent question.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

ins

extended warranties and insurance are suckers games. if you break stuff like my wife, she often finds that accidental damage isn't covered or the deductible is higher than the item.

It's up to you, but if you can afford a BMW of any kind, you can afford to maintain and keep it up. If you're worried about it, put $100 per month into a special savings account at any bank earning about 1% interest. after 8 years, you'll have approximately $10,000. More than enough to cover any damage or repairs. especially since any BMW after 8 years and 120k miles will be worth less than $20k total.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
2019msportx7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

In most cases, you absolutely correct, but in the case of a modern BMW, I politely disagree whole heartedly. I had a 2016 BMW X5 that I owned since it was new, took amazing care of it. As soon as it went out of warrantee, it's like a bomb exploded on all of the electronics in the car. The cameras sensors all failed, and needed to be replaced, to the tune of $5,500+. I spent over $10,000 on that car in a year after warrantee expired, and bought the X7 in place of it. I will NEVER own another BMW out of warrantee again. There are too many things that can break easily, and fixing them is far from it. BMW warranties might be one of the very few that are actually worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
extended warranties and insurance are suckers games. if you break stuff like my wife, she often finds that accidental damage isn't covered or the deductible is higher than the item.

It's up to you, but if you can afford a BMW of any kind, you can afford to maintain and keep it up. If you're worried about it, put $100 per month into a special savings account at any bank earning about 1% interest. after 8 years, you'll have approximately $10,000. More than enough to cover any damage or repairs. especially since any BMW after 8 years and 120k miles will be worth less than $20k total.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019msportx7 View Post
In most cases, you absolutely correct, but in the case of a modern BMW, I politely disagree whole heartedly. I had a 2016 BMW X5 that I owned since it was new, took amazing care of it. As soon as it went out of warrantee, it's like a bomb exploded on all of the electronics in the car. The cameras sensors all failed, and needed to be replaced, to the tune of $5,500+. I spent over $10,000 on that car in a year after warrantee expired, and bought the X7 in place of it. I will NEVER own another BMW out of warrantee again. There are too many things that can break easily, and fixing them is far from it. BMW warranties might be one of the very few that are actually worth it.

Quote:

I add up the price of the warranty with the 'maybe' factor of repair costs. Toss in a pinch of peace of mind and deduct that from the price of owning the latest technologies. Then use that imaginary number and trade in right before my factory warranty expires. It helps justify the hit on trading in a two year old car.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard that similar story from many BMW owners. While this is my first BMW, I'll probably trade it after the 4 year warranty for just that reason!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
You guys must be very unlucky with your BMWs as they age (and go out of warranty). Oh well, YMMV I guess....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I've mentioned it before. I've had very good personal experience with BMW longevity, including my current 16 year old 330i, and I'm the original ower. No huge problems, especially with the I6 engine.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 03-10-2020 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I've mentioned it before. I've had very good personal experience with BMW longevity, including my current 16 year old 330i. No huge problems, especially with the I6 engine.
Same here. My previous E46 328i was 8 years old and had 175k+ trouble free miles on it when I sold it. Only sold it because we had a baby and the baby gear wouldn't fit.

My wife's current X3 is 4.5 years old and has been rock solid other than some oil consumption between year 3-4.
Appreciate 0