BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ceramic coating or other ways of protecting your paint?

03-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Ceramic coating or other ways of protecting your paint?

Having bought the X7 in carbon black -- probably the most difficult paint to keep swirl free and looking good, though when it looks good, it's amazing -- I'm wondering what can be done to protect my paint. I went to a brushless hand wash the other night, and already spotted a couple swirls in my paint when looking at certain angles.

I started reading that ceramic is all the rage now and wax is on the way out. I ended up after a little web research picking up this Avalon King ceramic coating DIY kit:

https://avalonking.com/

I liked the idea that one application supposedly lasts 3-5 years, and it'll have your car shining and looking better than wax or anything else.

What are thoughts on these ceramic coatings? As good as advertised? Anyone have any other techniques for keeping the carbon black and other dark paint jobs looking their best? (Note: as a younger man, I washed and polished my cars myself; these days, a busy job and young family don't afford me the time for that kind of thing anymore... so, hopefully some options that are not overly timing consuming!)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Having bought the X7 in carbon black -- probably the most difficult paint to keep swirl free and looking good, though when it looks good, it's amazing -- I'm wondering what can be done to protect my paint. I went to a brushless hand wash the other night, and already spotted a couple swirls in my paint when looking at certain angles.

I started reading that ceramic is all the rage now and wax is on the way out. I ended up after a little web research picking up this Avalon King ceramic coating DIY kit:

I liked the idea that one application supposedly lasts 3-5 years, and it'll have your car shining and looking better than wax or anything else.

What are thoughts on these ceramic coatings? As good as advertised? Anyone have any other techniques for keeping the carbon black and other dark paint jobs looking their best? (Note: as a younger man, I washed and polished my cars myself; these days, a busy job and young family don't afford me the time for that kind of thing anymore... so, hopefully some options that are not overly timing consuming!)

Thanks!
Dropped mine off this evening for Ceramic Pro -Silver package. I've never done it before but figure something is better than nothing, not interested in ppf. I'll post some pics when it's done, it's a 5 year coating with yearly touch ups
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Dropped mine off this evening for Ceramic Pro -Silver package. I've never done it before but figure something is better than nothing, not interested in ppf. I'll post some pics when it's done, it's a 5 year coating with yearly touch ups
What’s that run?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
What's that run?
$1000 He takes wheels off and does the entire inside barrels and outside of wheels, calipers and rotors where the pad don't contact. All painted surfaces on exterior with 2 coats. Glassparency on all glass and all leather and carpets with an interior ceramic pro textile product. Won't have the car back until weds night.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi, I see you're out in LI, when I purchased my 17 X5 brand new, I got it ceramic coated once it left the dealership. Best investment ever!

its been 3 years and my car looks better than new. Its only hand washed and never went through a auto wash though. the coating is holding up great with annual maint.

My buddy is a detailer located in Huntington and certified with different Coating brands, Precision Auto Detail. They have a lot of experience and popular with the Porsche and Ferrari community. Let me know if you're interested and i'll PM you his number, mention my name and they will take care of you. Patrick T
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

We had ceramic coating and paint correction done on our Carbon Black X5 and it was night and day. You should do it right away and get rid of the contaminants in your paint.
Attached Images

Wild Blue3676.50
      03-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
We had ceramic coating and paint correction done on our Carbon Black X5 and it was night and day. You should do it right away and get rid of the contaminants in your paint.
Where’d you get it done?
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
Hi, I see you're out in LI, when I purchased my 17 X5 brand new, I got it ceramic coated once it left the dealership. Best investment ever!

its been 3 years and my car looks better than new. Its only hand washed and never went through a auto wash though. the coating is holding up great with annual maint.

My buddy is a detailer located in Huntington and certified with different Coating brands, Precision Auto Detail. They have a lot of experience and popular with the Porsche and Ferrari community. Let me know if you're interested and i'll PM you his number, mention my name and they will take care of you. Patrick T
Patrick, please do PM me his number.

I spoke to a local guy today who told me that the ceramic won’t prevent swirls and the like. Seemed strange to me. He quoted about $2k-$2500 for the ceramic coating, and upwards of $5k for a clear film on the whole car (which he said is self healing in the sun, and will prevent swirls etc.).

That feels like a steep investment, but if it keeps my car looking new 5 years from now, I dunno, maybe it’s worth it after all. Has anyone done a full car film (not just the bra), and any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Where’d you get it done?
https://www.enviousdetailing.com/

I have been using them for the last 12 years.
      03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
SoCalKarl
Drive It Like You Stole It
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Quote:
Where’d you get it done?
https://www.enviousdetailing.com/

I have been using them for the last 12 years.
Otis I put a clear Xpel treatment on my C7 Stingray and on my model S and look it. In So Cal every freeway is under construction and the rocks and gravel fly everywhere. I love the protection the film gives both my cars. It also provides an extra layer of paint protection. It's not cheap but you get out of it what you put in.

I'm waiting for my new M40i Z4 to arrive and you can bet that I will be putting the Xpel treatment on it as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKarl View Post
Otis I put a clear Xpel treatment on my C7 Stingray and on my model S and look it. In So Cal every freeway is under construction and the rocks and gravel fly everywhere. I love the protection the film gives both my cars. It also provides an extra layer of paint protection. It's not cheap but you get out of it what you put in.

I'm waiting for my new M40i Z4 to arrive and you can bet that I will be putting the Xpel treatment on it as well.
Sounds awesome, but for 5 or 6 grand, sheesh....
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Beautiful, greentrbo!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:

Thanks!
My friend owns a shop in Southern Westchester, that has one of the few licenses in the state for applying the top ceramic coating. I can't fully recall, but I think it's an Xpel product. Regardless, if you want max protection, you do full ceramic and then wrap the car. If interested, PM me and i'll give you contact.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #14
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Highly recommend Ceramic Pro Coating. Just have it done and I'm thoroughly impressed. Deep gloss is amazing and water repulsion is crazy. It's gotta be even more amazing on a dark car because the difference on the black trim and wheels is wild. I'll have to report back on if it stands the test of time, but five year warranty (as long as you don't bring it through an auto "touch " car wash)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #15
Petegd
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350, GLK

Anyone have any Calgary contacts?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #16
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

PIPE_DR, looks fantastic. What did this cost you? And how long did they keep your car for?

I purchased a do-it-yourself ceramic coating kit that seems to get really great reviews, but I'm tempted to just let a professional do this for me. I submitted a message into the Ceramic Pro site seeking a quote, may as well explore.

Thanks.
      03-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

$1000 cash. He spent over 12 hours doing the whole process. Dropped off on Monday evening and picked up Thursday morn. Starts w/ steam wash, paint correction(minimal), layer of 9h, heat lamp dry, polish, layer of light(2nd coat of ceramic), heat lamp dry and buff. All glass coated, wheels taken off and cleaned completely and coated, as well as calipers & rotors. All leather seats and dash/doors. Carpets and mats treated. He showed me 2- tiny little bubbles on roof on factory paint that couldn't be completely corrected that id never notice unless he pointed it out. 5 year warranty- with a $100 yearly inspection and touch up included. PPF was just too much for me and Its not a $300k Ferrari. I felt this had the best value for the money. You can prob do some ppf on certain sections for more protection but we don't do much highway driving.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
alic9613.50
      03-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
Redwood012
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

$1000 cash is a great deal! Is your guy in NorCal by any chance? Will it help to keep the white leather chairs clean?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Connecticut, Sorry. Both Ceramic Pro installers I got quotes from were the same price. The only other coating I considered was Gtechniq but the guy around here that does it, had no reviews at all. It was similar price point though. Im sure it'll help with white seats, It makes cleaning easier and protect from staining.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A few more pics from my guy doing the wheels and calipers/rotors
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #21
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

I did two coating of the below Ceramic Coating two days ago on my week old X7. Its Metallic Black and had several swirls already that were hard to catch at the time of delivery.

https://www.opticoat.com/product/opt...oss-coat-20cc/

The car looks pretty clean and clear but man its very hard to avoid it catching the dust to matter what you do. Black is beautiful but hard to maintain and this is my first Black car.

I have also ordered the following items to protect Door Handle cups and the dorr edging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you do one panel at a time, I dont think its hard to do ceramic coating but Pro is Pro. They have all the tools and experience. Lets see how long it lasts.

I am planning to put a couple of pics soon.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      03-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Cool, man. Curious how it turns out for you. Haven't heard anybody yet that has done it themselves.
Appreciate 0