BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Winter tire - anybody mount each year?

02-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Winter tire - anybody mount each year?

Never ran a dedicated winter tire before, and looking into options.

Seems popular to buy a dedicated winter wheel/tire set.

Does anybody have a set of winter tires, and just pay to have them mounted each year?

I realize this would incur mount/balance twice a year. But you would also have the bonus of having fresh road force balanced tires. And paying for 6 mountings (I only keep vehicles 3 years max) is still far cheaper than another set of OEM wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

I went this route. Same logic - cheaper to pay for mount and balance than getting new wheels.

The big question is if you have 21" or 22" rims. With 21's there are lots of options for winter tires, but with 22's it's a little trickier. There are a few threads on here with lots of discussion about the best option.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

The risk of damaging the wheels during mounting/dismounting and damage from winter elements deter me from using one set of wheels. I’ve always preferred a dedicated set for winter use.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      02-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaaan View Post
Never ran a dedicated winter tire before, and looking into options.

Seems popular to buy a dedicated winter wheel/tire set.

Does anybody have a set of winter tires, and just pay to have them mounted each year?

I realize this would incur mount/balance twice a year. But you would also have the bonus of having fresh road force balanced tires. And paying for 6 mountings (I only keep vehicles 3 years max) is still far cheaper than another set of OEM wheels.
Hi got the set as I have 22" summers I went with 21" for winters, they give quite a difference, I had loaner recently with all seasons and I had to drive much more carefully during snow
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
mimustang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5, 2023 X7 M60i

I do not use a dedicated set of wheels for winter. Have the damage protection on my wheels, swap to a set of Scorpion's 275/40R22's for the winter (front and rear) then back to staggers for the spring/summer/fall. Works well. Done this with all of my wife's vehicles for at least a decade.

We change vehicles every 24-36 months so much cheaper as we never know what vehicle the Mrs. will want next.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

I was forced to buy a dedicated winter set due to vacation travels to the frozen north (Colorado, which is north of where I live.) In my case I got the 21" 754M wheels with 285/45/21 Run Flat Blizzaks to replace the staggered sized 22's. After the initial sticker shock I am ok with the decision. They ride great and are actually quieter than the 22" Conti's. I'll take 'em off after we make our next trip in March and put 'em up in my warehouse until next year. Maybe when/if they come out with a suitable all season ( a compromise, I know) 22" tire I'll sell the 21" set. I do like the idea of not dismounting and mounting tires 2x/year though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

If you’re smart about your winter wheel/tire purchase you can recoup most of the cost reselling them if you swap cars often. Meaning don’t buy the overpriced BMW offerings. I’ve been doing this for 13yrs and it’s always worked out well. Next winter season we’re hoping to be in a warmer climate where winter tires aren’t needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
If you’re smart about your winter wheel/tire purchase you can recoup most of the cost reselling them if you swap cars often. Meaning don’t buy the overpriced BMW offerings. I’ve been doing this for 13yrs and it’s always worked out well. Next winter season we’re hoping to be in a warmer climate where winter tires aren’t needed.
Yeah, I tried to not buy the set from BMW, but when the Boss says she wants the BMW wheels..... You guys know what I mean; It's one of those choose your battle things.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      02-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I always use a dedicated for three seasons of the year and one set specifically for Winter. The cost of a set of wheels is far greater than any possible repairs or depreciation or in the worst case scenario a lawsuit if you hit someone or something. It may be a hassle but no more so than dealing with body shops and insurance. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOuttaWater View Post
Yeah, I tried to not buy the set from BMW, but when the Boss says she wants the BMW wheels..... You guys know what I mean; It's one of those choose your battle things.
I’ve been lucky enough to find take off wheels most of the time. Chances are if you were to put a BMW centercap on the aftermarket wheels the boss would be none the wiser. When you’re talking about a $1500 swing some things make sense and some don’t.

Last edited by BMWBear; 02-03-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

she'll notice when she hits a pothole and the wheel crumbles.
if you're going to go reps at least go with a forged rep that meets TUV.
otherwise you'll be saving a dollar that winds up costing you five dollars in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
she'll notice when she hits a pothole and the wheel crumbles.
if you're going to go reps at least go with a forged rep that meets TUV.
otherwise you'll be saving a dollar that winds up costing you five dollars in the end.
That's a rather large generalization. I've had more wheels then I care to admit and as long as you stay away from the obvious cheap brand and make sure the load rating is correct for your vehicle you'll be fine. None of these vehicles are hitting the MOAB trail so im sure there wont be any "crumbles".
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i believe i was rather specific. i would stay away from cheap cast replica wheels versus a tuv approved or forged tuv approved aftermarket wheel.
you'll find the ones that come out of italy are far better than a $600 set pumped out of china but your car, your cash, your call.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i believe i was rather specific. i would stay away from cheap cast replica wheels versus a tuv approved or forged tuv approved aftermarket wheel.
you'll find the ones that come out of italy are far better than a $600 set pumped out of china but your car, your cash, your call.
Didn't read specific to me but if you say so. Point being all replicas or aftermarket wheels aren't bad. If they were im sure you would read about it here first on BimmerPost.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

you can and some have:

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...=2000&bih=1005

in the end, i wouldn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point. Moving on.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

The point is if you can afford the car you should be able to afford proper accessories and parts otherwise cheap winds up being expensive in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The point is if you can afford the car you should be able to afford proper accessories and parts otherwise cheap winds up being expensive in the end.
That’s not the point but good talk. XOXO
I didn’t make it this far but spending money on equivalent things could buy for less. It takes more then Google to accumulate knowledge.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #19
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
That's not the point but good talk. XOXO
I didn't make it this far but spending money on equivalent things could buy for less. It takes more then Google to accumulate knowledge.

Cheers
I can afford the car. Waiting for a loaded X7 as I write this. I buy the cheapest gas I can find. Usually 89 octane.

It's all priorities man. Some people call me cheap, yet I can afford anything I want.

People forget, there's TWO ways of having more money. Everybody knows the first one: you go earn more money. But most forget the second: you spend less...
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      02-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #20
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
I can afford the car. Waiting for a loaded X7 as I write this. I buy the cheapest gas I can find. Usually 89 octane.

It's all priorities man. Some people call me cheap, yet I can afford anything I want.

People forget, there's TWO ways of having more money. Everybody knows the first one: you go earn more money. But most forget the second: you spend less...
Well said ...there’s a third way and most of the spend thrifts fall in this category. The money is given to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That’s not the point but good talk.
Not sure why you are taking this personally when we are having a general discussion on replica wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
But most forget the second: you spend less...
That is my point... you'll end up spending more in the long run replacing the poorly made replica wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #22
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

Waiting on a M50i with 22s and will have to get a 21” set for the winters here in North East. Is there a good thread with listings of non BMW sets available (not looking for cheapest)? Or maybe a good thread/website where I could get 21 inch take offs from other X7s? My first foray into BMWs so trying to read up on forums here.
Appreciate 0