BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Wife refusing to drive X7? Winter tire dilemma

12-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Infrequently

Wife refusing to drive X7? Winter tire dilemma

I will spare you all from the internal drama which has resulted in this post as I'm beyond frustrated but need to resolve one way or the other. With that said, I will stick to the facts and appreciate your guidance in advance. This is yet another winter tires for X7 post and while I did spend several hours reading prior posts, I'm still confused due to either the vehicle not being the same as hers (2023 model, DHP, M Sport Brakes) or post containing conflicting information (staggered vs square) which was not resolved.

Vehicle: 2023 X7 xDrive40i
Packages:
- Dynamic Handling Package
- Dynamic Assistance Pro Pkg
- M Sport Package 22" Style 755M w/ Mixed RFT
- M Sport Professional Package
- Parking Assistance Package
- Executive Package
- Climate Comfort Package
- M Sport Package Pro

Now don't get me wrong, she absolutely loves the vehicle any everything about it, including the wheels however having realized that it comes with summer tires, she is freaking out now that temps are in the 20-40F range and will be for the next 4 months. Specifically, the tires are Pirelli P-Zero run flats, 275/40 R22 107Y in the front, 315/35 R22 111Y in the rear.

Realistically, what is the best method to tackle this? I've come to the realization that this is a bit of an odd wheel size which greatly limits tire selection. The whole staggered/square setup thing has me confused, don't want to do anything that voids warranty or damages vehicle long term.

1) Keep calm and drive gently with existing tires, re-evaluate situation in spring / summer. If it actually snows, we are not going anywhere aside from quick trip to grocery store in advance to get 10 loafs of bread and 5 gallons of milk. This doesn't actually address the cold temperature in which the tires would operate - not sure how bad this is. Hopefully by the spring / summer we can get better selection like all seasons in existing wheel size or the 21" BMW winter sets are available again.

2) Buy the only non-summer tires available on tirerack for existing wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run Flat - which I would have done already if it wasn't for the ridiculous cost ($3100) and that they appear to be hardcore winter tires that are overkill. Not to mention, as its tires only, would have to switch back to the current wheels in the spring, which is a headache.

3) Get a tire package from tirerack that is either 20" or 21", ignore the staggered vs square "noise" and listen to people with actual experience. I would need help with selection here and the results are a bit overwhelming.

4) Tell her to calm down, invest in comfortable couch instead.

5) I'm going about this all wrong and didn't think it through enough, there are other options. You tell me what to do instead.

Please help, as you can imagine this is creating quite a bit of noise and I do want her to feel safe in her vehicle. Actual driving in snowy conditions is highly unlikely, worst case driving in a dusting to 2 inches of snow as part of getting home (less than 20 miles) from work. Other situation could be some icy conditions where we don't get snow but rain, which freezes overnight and creates some slick spots on the road. Historically we have gone with all-season tires and its been perfectly fine.
Appreciate 1
keg97168.00
      12-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #2
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

You’re right- there are dozens of posts about this, especially as of late.

- sub 45F degrees is technically outside of the operating range for summer tires. The rubber compound will be harder, and won’t grip as well. Additionally, summer tires can be prone to cracking even being stored below that temperature.

With that being said, could you operate summers in lower temps without snow/slush/ice? Sure, there are actually a lot of video comparisons doing so and perform relatively well. Just don’t get caught in adverse weather. I have summers on my z4 and got caught in spring <1/4” snow and the car literally couldn’t move.

- square all seasons is the typical move for 22” wheels. I just installed vredstein quatrac pros (285/40/22) and those are severe weather rated all seasons. These tires are well within the specs for both wheels, but just be mindful that they can’t be rotated due to the staggered wheel setup. There are some reports that full lock to lock for 285/45/22 will slightly rub the wheel liner.

-dedicated winters and dedicated summers will always be your best, but most expensive option. 20” wheels are the smallest wheels you can run with the m-sport kit, but be mindful not to run too small of an offset (I believe stock is 38 for the front) I think most run 285/45/21 which is the stock bmw tire size for 21” wheels.

A couple of other notes:

Most of the posts you see about running non stock tire sizes and concerns about damaging xdrive/transfer case is deviating too far off the rotational speeds from stock, relative to the front vs back wheels. If you run a square setup (same tire sizes front and back) there is no rotational variation front vs back, so there are no issues. What could be damaging, for example, is if you keep the stock FRONT tire size, and change the REAR size to say… 285/35/22. That middle number “35” is the same as stock, but is a ratio number relative to the width (the height of the tire is 35% of 285mm … this is known as aspect ratio). There is a rotational difference of 2.7% between stock and the example given, so that could POTENTIALLY cause damage. (Reports say rotational differences should be kept 1-2%)

Tiresize.com/calculator will allow you to see rotational differences, along with a lot of other helpful tools. When you start changing tire sizes, be mindful it will start changing your measured speed. Smaller tires will rotate faster, ultimate reporting slightly higher speed which affects your odometer. Slightly larger tires just the opposite. All car manufactures will report a slightly higher “calibrated” speed vs your true speed. In my case, my x7 would read about ~3mph higher than true gps speed. Now with 285/40/22, it reports close to true speed.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual6341 View Post
I will spare you all from the internal drama which has resulted in this post as I'm beyond frustrated but need to resolve one way or the other. With that said, I will stick to the facts and appreciate your guidance in advance. This is yet another winter tires for X7 post and while I did spend several hours reading prior posts, I'm still confused due to either the vehicle not being the same as hers (2023 model, DHP, M Sport Brakes) or post containing conflicting information (staggered vs square) which was not resolved.

Vehicle: 2023 X7 xDrive40i
Packages:
- Dynamic Handling Package
- Dynamic Assistance Pro Pkg
- M Sport Package 22" Style 755M w/ Mixed RFT
- M Sport Professional Package
- Parking Assistance Package
- Executive Package
- Climate Comfort Package
- M Sport Package Pro

Now don't get me wrong, she absolutely loves the vehicle any everything about it, including the wheels however having realized that it comes with summer tires, she is freaking out now that temps are in the 20-40F range and will be for the next 4 months. Specifically, the tires are Pirelli P-Zero run flats, 275/40 R22 107Y in the front, 315/35 R22 111Y in the rear.

Realistically, what is the best method to tackle this? I've come to the realization that this is a bit of an odd wheel size which greatly limits tire selection. The whole staggered/square setup thing has me confused, don't want to do anything that voids warranty or damages vehicle long term.

1) Keep calm and drive gently with existing tires, re-evaluate situation in spring / summer. If it actually snows, we are not going anywhere aside from quick trip to grocery store in advance to get 10 loafs of bread and 5 gallons of milk. This doesn't actually address the cold temperature in which the tires would operate - not sure how bad this is. Hopefully by the spring / summer we can get better selection like all seasons in existing wheel size or the 21" BMW winter sets are available again.

2) Buy the only non-summer tires available on tirerack for existing wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run Flat - which I would have done already if it wasn't for the ridiculous cost ($3100) and that they appear to be hardcore winter tires that are overkill. Not to mention, as its tires only, would have to switch back to the current wheels in the spring, which is a headache.

3) Get a tire package from tirerack that is either 20" or 21", ignore the staggered vs square "noise" and listen to people with actual experience. I would need help with selection here and the results are a bit overwhelming.

4) Tell her to calm down, invest in comfortable couch instead.

5) I'm going about this all wrong and didn't think it through enough, there are other options. You tell me what to do instead.

Please help, as you can imagine this is creating quite a bit of noise and I do want her to feel safe in her vehicle. Actual driving in snowy conditions is highly unlikely, worst case driving in a dusting to 2 inches of snow as part of getting home (less than 20 miles) from work. Other situation could be some icy conditions where we don't get snow but rain, which freezes overnight and creates some slick spots on the road. Historically we have gone with all-season tires and its been perfectly fine.
1) no, summer tires are hazardous in just cold conditions. unusable in any kind of snow or rain. below 45F the rubber can crack. the tires on the car now are basically late march to early november tires, depending on when your temp shifts.

2) do you have a spare? you could do 285/40/22 all around. but those will be non runflats.no spare is still less hazardous than summer tires though.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...C2XL&tab=Sizes

3) this would be ideal, i did a full snow tire and rim set @ 20" for about $2300 but most of the 20" wheels are gone for the season.

My first car with summer perfomance tires (2001 330i) could not get out of the driveway with a skin of snow on it. stopping and turning was horribly bad. AWD might get you going but when you have to stop or turn, it wont help.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Simply put, just take the $3100 hit and get the winter run flats from Tire Rack.

I however chose the 285 45 22 square set up. All depends on what you’re willing to live with. Happy wife happy life. Give her the confidence she needs to drive safe. God forbid she gets in an accident with the summer tires in cold weather. You’ll never forgive yourself or hear the end of that argument.

It would be my wife Christmas present. Win win!!
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #5
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Simply put, just take the $3100 hit and get the winter run flats from Tire Rack.

I however chose the 285 45 22 square set up. All depends on what you’re willing to live with. Happy wife happy life. Give her the confidence she needs to drive safe. God forbid she gets in an accident with the summer tires in cold weather. You’ll never forgive yourself or hear the end of that argument.

the 285/45/22 has quite a few good options. the michelin crossclimate 2 is a very good one, 3PMSF rated. load rating high enough, only area its lacking is speed rating, but 130mph should be more than enough.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The parts database gives 20” & 21” winter tires (ink a square set up) for the G07 X7…so if you can find the 20”/21” wheels with the correct offsets and wheel bolt pattern…you should be able to mount those without issues.

You could also mount a staggered set of 20” or 21” winter tires, too if that is what you can find. The season is here so the pickings may be slim.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post

I'm having a hard time justifying $3100 just for tires and about to go with the 285 45 22 setup. Are you experiencing any tire rub of the wheel liner as t0pless mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #8
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
the 285/45/22 has quite a few good options. the michelin crossclimate 2 is a very good one, 3PMSF rated. load rating high enough, only area its lacking is speed rating, but 130mph should be more than enough.
Very informative posts all around, thank you all for the details. Will likely have to re-evaluate tires on my car as well but that’s a different matter.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the Michelins at 285/45R22 as the Vredestein’s are out of stock with no expected due date. As for speed rating, highly unlikely to go above 80, let alone 130 so definitely more than enough. Only part that confuses me about this is the width of 285 vs 315 on the rears. Perhaps dumb question but this will fit? Are the wheels / rims on the rears not wider than those on the front? 275 to 285 is fairly close but 285 to 315 seems like quite the jump? Maybe I’m just not understanding how this works.

As for the spare, no she doesn’t have one. Can’t recall if it was the captains’ chairs or dynamic handling package that removed the spare option. Not like she would be changing her own tire anyway and would call AAA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #9
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

The only issue running 285/45/22 is that the tolerances of the front have reported to slightly rub the wheel liner, turning the steering wheel lock to lock. Others might have different experiences.

The wheel sizes are 22x9.5 in the front, 22x10.5 in the rear. 275 width is well within spec for the fronts, but could look a little stretched in the rear. Running a 285 square is within the specs for both the 9.5” front wheel and 10.5” rear. That’s why you see people choosing to do 285 fronts and rears. As stated before 285 square setup is also the stock width for 21” wheels.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

you could toss this plus an inflator in the trunk.
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50107-S...8MVH64HL/?th=1

since i have had the worst luck possible with tires, i have that, plus two different plug kits, plus the spare with runflats (at the moment im on non runflat winters)
driving in NYC and experiencing bmws original runflat experiments has me with a bit of ptsd.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #11
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

michelin also has an option in 285/40-22
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
not snowflake on mountain certified, but should be fine. less chance of rubbing.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #12
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

First, don’t take any chances with running summers in adverse weather. Just a little bit of snow and you’ll find yourself in a bit of trouble.

I’ve got the 22’s as well and live in Colorado, so it wasn’t an option for me to try and make it through winter unless I just wanted to store the X7 until April.

I ended up getting some used 754m with all season tires off a forum member here. Will be putting them on in a week or two.

Cost was the almost the same as buying just the tires, so figured the little bit of extra work it takes to swap wheels was worth it. Now by swapping each winter will pretty much double the time I need before having to buy tires again.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #13
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Well, after an entire day of learning about tires and wheels, afraid I'm not in any better of a situation and basically back to square 1. Just as I had thought I figured out the tires to get, she tells me that she wants to keep existing ones as is and go the separate tire route. Switch back to these in ~April while having a set just for winter. More or less my initial plan #3.

Her requirements are that the wheels are 21", black, and can have the BMW wheel cap. Thoughts? I'm rather pissed because I've been looking at this stuff for the last 8 hours and made no progress Based on all my reading, I believe the wheel offset has to be +30mm and bolt pattern of 5-112.0.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 05:35 PM   #14
Saejin
Captain
Rep

So basically you just need to find the BMW 752M wheels.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #15
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
So basically you just need to find the BMW 752M wheels.
Am I dreaming or should I buy it now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #16
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I’d jump on it. Think they’ve been back ordered for a while now.

If you want to chance it, you could call your dealer tomorrow to see if they’d give you a discount.

And, put it this way. It matches what your wife wants. This is the easy option. No need in trying to find wheels and then tires and then the TPMS and center caps.

All comes as a pkg and under whatever BMW warranty is for wheels.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #17
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Am I dreaming or should I buy it now?
Buy it now and call it a day. If they have it in stock that's a major score this late in the season
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #18
Saejin
Captain
Rep

And, unless you have the super saver spare, you’ll need to get a jack and all the others bits needed to swap out your wheels.

But you could also have the dealer do it. They’ll probably charge less than $100 to do it.

And from experience, all 4 of the 22’s will fit in the X7 with the captains chairs…for sure with the bench seat option.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #19
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. Jumped on it and humped all the way to checkout.

As soon as Saejin said "So basically you just need to find the BMW 752M wheels". popped it into google, first link was shopbmwusa. Preparing for disappointment, as I had checked previously, clicked on it anyway, and here we are. Will post for others trying to get some.
Appreciate 2
keg97168.00
      12-18-2022, 09:56 PM   #20
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks guys. Jumped on it and humped all the way to checkout.

As soon as Saejin said "So basically you just need to find the BMW 752M wheels". popped it into google, first link was shopbmwusa. Preparing for disappointment, as I had checked previously, clicked on it anyway, and here we are. Will post for others trying to get some.
Does it show the delivery time when you check out? Maybe I should stop by the dealership tomorrow and see if they have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #21
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleric View Post
Does it show the delivery time when you check out? Maybe I should stop by the dealership tomorrow and see if they have it.
Sadly no, might call dealer tomorrow. Just canned message in email, “Within 48 hours you should receive an email confirming the acceptance of your order.”
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #22
ntailor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, X7 M60i

Hope the 752 wheels works out for you! I was in the same boat 2-3 weeks ago. No luck finding those anywhere, called multiple dealers and emailed online dealers. I bit the bullet and paid 3k for 22" winter tires and put them on the oem wheels. The X7 is the wife's car and has a 32 mile commute (one way) so didn't want to take changes with weather. Now I'll hunt for another set of oem 22" to put the summers on, smh.
Appreciate 1