F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car and Driver F30 Review
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Car and Driver F30 Review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I have officially come to the conclusion that C&D is pissed at BMW. Not sure if they stopped giving them cars, someone pissed in someone's Wheaties, or what, but man, are they harsh on the Bimmers lately. It's almost like reading the letters section of Roundel, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I have officially come to the conclusion that C&D is pissed at BMW.
Don't really see any unreasonable anger in this review, it's pretty balanced overall - not too many "ass-kissing" as with other "reviews" and no overly harsh criticism of the overall car. If anything, they weren't critical enough when discussing certain aspects of the car (such as horrible interior redesign), but hopefully they'll mention it too in a future comparison tests with other models
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Don't really see any unreasonable anger in this review, it's pretty balanced overall - not too many "ass-kissing" as with other "reviews" and no overly harsh criticism of the overall car. If anything, they weren't critical enough when discussing certain aspects of the car (such as horrible interior redesign), but hopefully they'll mention it too in a future comparison tests with other models
the interior is not bad
      11-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Convrtible
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

F30 Front Suspension

Confused about one of the 'first drive' reports, which said that the F30 retains the strut front suspension. I'd read elsewhere that the new suspension was double wishbone. Anyone know which it is?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convrtible View Post
Confused about one of the 'first drive' reports, which said that the F30 retains the strut front suspension. I'd read elsewhere that the new suspension was double wishbone. Anyone know which it is?
MacPherson Struts in front so no double wishbone like the 5 series, see attached Pr from BMW, page 52.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_3er_EN.pdf (1.09 MB, 226 views)
      11-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
I have officially come to the conclusion that C&D is pissed at BMW. Not sure if they stopped giving them cars, someone pissed in someone's Wheaties, or what, but man, are they harsh on the Bimmers lately. It's almost like reading the letters section of Roundel, lol.
I think there is something wrong with C&D and BMW. All other car magazine reviews give high marks for the new 3-series handling, calling it even better than the current one, with easily adjustable handling from understeer, when you enter a corner too fast, to neutral, when you release the accelerator, to oversteer when you press on the power pedal... No such "the added chassis rubber does inflict a slight snap-back effect" from any other magaziness, but a very progressive and talkative chassis. Either the journalist had a bad car, or he may not be honest or maybe even does not have the credentials to drive and review the car properly...

In any case it's very strange that only he, from all magazines that have tested the car, gives such impressions on the handling, or even the braking etc...
      11-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Sorry, but I don't see it that way. And it's not just this review, it's all of their reviews over the last 24 months.

Whereas everyone else really likes the car, they begrudgingly give it the vaguest compliments.

Car and Driver has always genuflected at the altar of the 3 series. They clearly do not like it becoming more genteel and gaining doo dads, etc. You can see how they lead off the story. They have always hated iDrive (rightfully so in the past but that should be gone now) and have turned that into a "tech free" bias toward BMW's.

While I don't disagree on some cars, including the early F10's, if everyone else is praising the handling and steering of the car, yet C&D pans it, who am I going to believe?

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-18-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Why even pay attention to what Car and Driver has to say about anything? IMO is one of the worst magazines out there. Motor Trend is not far behind.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

I like road and track...wonder why they havent come out with a first review yet
      11-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Here is a quote from Dan Neil.

Quote:
The entire environment is incestuous. They introduce new cars. They fly journalists in and put them up at really nice hotels and, you know, treat them to experiences that they would never possibly in a million years — they wouldn't even be allowed in these hotels ordinarily. You know, and that's not supposed to affect their judgment. But it is a compromised business, and it is also true that newspapers are under a great deal of revenue pressure on this score, and so yeah, a favorable editorial/advertorial content is often created to satisfy that need.
So I for one am not going to criticize a magazine for not writing a three page ode to the <insert new car> they got to drive somewhere along the coast of Mediterranean while staying at a five star resort hotel just because everyone else does it.

I'm not saying C&D is always the one with integrity, but based on their recent review of the new 911, which was titled

"Less a 911 and more just a really nice sports car with an engine in the trunk.", in which they wrote

"We were told at the lavish international launch in Santa Barbara, California—where a blue-sky budget included grinding and resurfacing an old weather-beaten airport apron to serve as an autocross course",

they seem to be on a roll for being the contrarian dick of the crowd. And I respect that, because after all, I don't buy for a second that anybody capable of any level of critical thinking can REALLY love some product so so much that they can't find anything to bitch about.

If I want to read fluff pieces about cars, I just read their brochure.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Was road&track the only review that got left out?
      11-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
mo-i
rookie of the month
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11 535Xi wagon

Garage List
2016 BMW 535Xi  [0.00]
Their well appointed critizism towards cars that are almost universaly praised sugarcoatedly made me even think to get an abo in print of Car & Driver as cost prohibitive and inconvinient it is over here in Germany.

There were very few reviewers pointing out the weaknesses of the
F10s electric steering system. No magazine in Germany even mentioned the loss of feel. What puzzled me as I found out about it before even reading C&Ds review, while having a demonstrator for a whole day, which I flored on the Autobahn, but took it around bendy B-Roads as well. The active steering completely lost it there.

In the end I changed an E91 Touring into the now outgoing A6 Avant and I
am absolutely happy with it, because especially as Quattro it is a marvelous drivers car. I do still keep our old E30 for special occasions, but I am nervous that BMW might drop the ball completely.

I am keen to get behind the wheel of the F30 myself and I am grateful for every review that is more than a paraphrase of the BMW Press text that I can download myself. AND C&D is not alone in their critizism towards BMW loosing their sporting credentials, they are just fencing the sword most effectively

mo-i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-i View Post
Their well appointed critizism towards cars that are almost universaly praised sugarcoatedly made me even think to get an abo in print of Car & Driver as cost prohibitive and inconvinient it is over here in Germany.

There were very few reviewers pointing out the weaknesses of the
F10s electric steering system. No magazine in Germany even mentioned the loss of feel. What puzzled me as I found out about it before even reading C&Ds review, while having a demonstrator for a whole day, which I flored on the Autobahn, but took it around bendy B-Roads as well. The active steering completely lost it there.

In the end I changed an E91 Touring into the now outgoing A6 Avant and I
am absolutely happy with it, because especially as Quattro it is a marvelous drivers car. I do still keep our old E30 for special occasions, but I am nervous that BMW might drop the ball completely.

I am keen to get behind the wheel of the F30 myself and I am grateful for every review that is more than a paraphrase of the BMW Press text that I can download myself. AND C&D is not alone in their critizism towards BMW loosing their sporting credentials, they are just fencing the sword most effectively

mo-i
Disagree again.

If you read their articles regarding Audi, they are universally praising in their nature and often overlook gross abhorrences such as almost 60% weight over the nose, light as a feather steering, etc.

I typically don't even pay much attention to the American mags. They are all bought as far as I'm concerned. The UK mags seem to be much more realistic in my opinion. and ALL of them have praised the F30 in a way not seen in a while....not something they have done of all recent BMW's, including the M5.

I just find it curious where for years C&D beat the drums of BMW's products with great fervor and have now done an about face and are beating the Audi drums with equal fervor while at the same time dumping on the cars.

I driven just about all current products from both manufacturers and there isnt' that much between them. You'd never know it reading magazines such as C&D.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Yea, this new 328 will be far above anything currently in its class.
      11-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
mo-i
rookie of the month
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11 535Xi wagon

Garage List
2016 BMW 535Xi  [0.00]
@ Needsdecaf

We agree to disagree then.

Me too likes to read the british tests, as I tend to pay more attention
to the testers, that do not have a homegrown hero. The german testers
praise every new german offering, thus having a hard time doing comparison tests. Usualy they have a Jag or Citroen in there to call it the "lemon" of the bunch.

I still hope BMW mastered the electric steering better on the F30 as I am secretely hoping on coming back to the better dealer experience and I love where BMW design is going with exteriour.

mo-i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
...overlook gross abhorrences such as almost 60% weight over the nose, light as a feather steering, etc.

...I driven just about all current products from both manufacturers and there isnt' that much between them. You'd never know it reading magazines such as C&D...
Well, you are saying that Audi's 55:45 weight distribution and its light steering are abhorrences (or maybe you were being sarcastic, I'm not sure), and yet you are saying BMWs and Audis drive rather similarly.

I think C&D's attitude towards BMW is very similar to Consumer Reports' towards Honda lately. In the past, BMW certainly was C&D's darling, just like Honda used to dominate CR's recommended list year after year. There were specific things that these magazines liked about these cars. You agree with it or not, these were legitimate reasons.

Now both are noticeably harsh towards their former darlings, not necessarily because they have become WORSE than the competition, but because they have lost a lot of those specific things and become TOO MUCH LIKE the competition.

In addition, C&D is very generous to Audi, because they see the progress, just like how CR is quite generous to Hyundai. Not because they are now better cars than their former favorites, but because they have come a long way to a point where they are, as you yourself said, very similar to the once leaders.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I made my decision six years ago to buy an E90 to replace my then 250,000 mile E30 based off of Car and Drivers November 2005 Review of a 325i with sport package (rarely do magazines test "stripped" cars the way I like them). When the E90 came out with I-drive I about puked, but finding out that there was still a "Purists" form of the E90 to be had I was ready to test drive and find out for myself. I was really concerned about all the electronic aids the E90 had: traction control, stability control, corner braking, rain-drying braking, etc., but none of it was intrusive to the driving experience. And the first time the stability control saved my ass on a 160 degree turn on unexpected black ice, I became a "believer". Hopefully the same will be true with the F30 - a Purists form will still be available (although the trim lines are way too confusing). At least BMW hasn't dropped the manual transmission and classic orange instrumentation... yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #19
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Thank goodness there is one honest and balanced review of F30.

All the others are ass-kissing junk reading so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I think Car and Driver got tired of everybody whining about how the 3 series wins everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Found this in the review "A two-mode muffler corks the din during cruising and then releases a rousing howl to accompany the stampede."

wonder if there will be a way to make it sound more aggressive at all times, like the golf mod tee i used in my old 335.
      11-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
7or8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Was road&track the only review that got left out?
It's up now. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2012-bmw-328i

Pretty dull review though. Didn't say anything good, didn't say anything bad. Kinda didn't say anything at all. Almost read like a press release.
Appreciate 0