SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
I read somewhere Alpina Green is coming in 2021 summer allocation. 2020 December allocation is the Alpina Blue and the grey.
Alpina Green is coming in 2021.

Regarding the steering wheel stitching, that is part of its homage to its history. Not a lot of people on here know about the history of Alpina and it's drive philosohy and drive cues. They try to retain reliablity, keep the luxury and strengthen the weaker areas of anything they touch. It might not be drastic but it has been proven over and over again how reliable they are.

I have driven the GLS 63 and it drives wonderful. I'm not a fan of the infortainment system over the BMW. If I didn't have such unpleasant experiences with my AMG's, I probably would of got one over the Alpina I ordered. That is being honest.

My Alpina XB7 will be here in 3 weeks. I will be able to compare this to my ownership in the W12 Bentayga, 2019 Cayenne Turbo, and Audi SQ8.

I want to love MB's and AMG's in general but I've had such terrible experiences with them.
Your feedback when you get your XB7 would be incredibly insightful then. Thank you very much! My father in-law is the world's biggest MB fanboy so that's hard to not be influenced by him, lol.

Can you shed light on your AMG/MB negative experiences you mentioned??

Last edited by SteelBMW; 10-18-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
Caruser1
Rep
Drives: Various

SteelBMW
Have had 2 gl63 amg in a row and 2 mb gl550 before that (before amg existed). This last one (2016) has been a real maintenance headache. Suspension, struts, a/c. One issue after another and I have had similarly poor mb service experience as mentioned by fkim119

Similar grind of issues with one of my prior gl550 too.
Loved the gl63 drive but just got tired of the issues and poor (incompetent) MB service.

Thought long and hard about new gls63 but decided to try the xb7 alpina (tanzanite blue, blue/white interior). 3 things swung it for me:

1. Like the alpina luxury+performance and reliability brand ethos.
2. My issues with MB service and lack of reliability on my gl63 amg
3. Peculiar issue to my needs - more space in 3rd row of BMW. Before others howl about that, yes I know that 2nd row has more space in gls, but the seat travel in the 2nd row is more limited in gls, which means the seats don’t travel as far forward and leaves less legroom in 3rd row than can be achieved in the BMW which has more 2nd row seat travel. I did testing of this and was an important issue for me given teenage kids with long legs.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      10-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #25
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Your feedback when you get your XB7 would be incredibly insightful then. Thank you very much! My father in-law is the world's biggest MB fanboy so that's hard to not be influenced by him, lol.

All these cars I bought from MB was ordered and bought new. 2011 G55, 2014 G550, 2011 E63, 2014 S550, 2014 SL65.

Bought G's I've owned had battery/alternator issues that can never be resolved. I daily drove those and overnight, the batteries would be drained. They replaced multiple alternators, master reboots, new batteries, etc but there came a time I was scared to drive it anywhere far for fear of the car just dying.

I came out of a store one day, and my E63 looked like it was on the cover of low rider. The air suspension on all 4 corners had gone out. The whole air suspension system was replaced and only a thousand miles later, one of the rear shocks was not installed correctly and it decided to take a dump. After the suspension was replaced, I felt like it could never hold pressure correctly and the alignment would always go astray. It would end up being too much negative camber after a couple hundred miles and the very inner tread would wear out. I had enough, had to take a huge loss and sell.

Let's not even get started with the S.

Sl65- It would overheat on any cruise or drive when the outside temperature was more then 90*. Unreal. It would just climb, climb and climb. They thought I was doing burnouts stop light to stop light.

I had to sign a NDA on one of these cars when MBUSA bought it back after 3 months of ownership. I think you guys can tell which one it is.

Don't get me wrong, my BMW's, Porsches, Audi, Bentley etc has given me some sort of problems too. But they have been very minor compared what I have experienced with MBUSA.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

^^^ I have also heard of the chronic overheating issues you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #27
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All these cars I bought from MB was ordered and bought new. 2011 G55, 2014 G550, 2011 E63, 2014 S550, 2014 SL65.

Bought G's I've owned had battery/alternator issues that can never be resolved. I daily drove those and overnight, the batteries would be drained. They replaced multiple alternators, master reboots, new batteries, etc but there came a time I was scared to drive it anywhere far for fear of the car just dying.

I came out of a store one day, and my E63 looked like it was on the cover of low rider. The air suspension on all 4 corners had gone out. The whole air suspension system was replaced and only a thousand miles later, one of the rear shocks was not installed correctly and it decided to take a dump. After the suspension was replaced, I felt like it could never hold pressure correctly and the alignment would always go astray. It would end up being too much negative camber after a couple hundred miles and the very inner tread would wear out. I had enough, had to take a huge loss and sell.

Sl65- It would overheat on any cruise or drive when the outside temperature was more then 90*. Unreal. It would just climb, climb and climb. They thought I was doing burnouts stop light to stop light.

I had to sign a NDA on one of these cars when MBUSA bought it back after 3 months of ownership. I think you guys can tell which one it is.

Don't get me wrong, my BMW's, Porsches, Audi, Bentley etc has given me some sort of problems too. But they have been very minor compared what I have experienced with MBUSA.
Yikes... that sounds terrible. Also, knowing me, when things break I have zero patience or desire to fix or troubleshoot - I'm more of the "get the hammer, smash it to pieces and throw it in the pool" type. So, that sounds like a bad fit for me.

I'm desperately waiting to hear your feedback on the XB7. If I go with this, my wife will do the 580. Unless she just can't do it in which case she'll do the m50i which I think is super lame if we both get basically the same car, lol.

I check daily for an XB7 video to watch and get convinced, and there is still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #28
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:

My input is minimal but I’ve only owned one AMG. An E55. I didn’t have any major issues with it. I did have an AC issue but it was covered under warranty and never happened again.

I want to like the GLS 63 AMG, I need to see one in person and drive it. I’m a huge comfort guy. Spent a lot of years in hot rods and now I like comfort and quiet when I drive daily. Like someone else said the MB seems like a couch at the home and the BMW is like the modern couch.

Another thing I’m curious to know is if the MB has more backseat room, I actually care about my passengers so comfort for them is important as well.

I’ll be curious to see how it stacks up in person. But like most have said the styling is quite plain on the MB. It’s sporty for a GLS but not outside of that. And to be perfectly honest I thought new Cayenne I got for the Mrs, was really quiet and rode super well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #29
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Another thing I'm curious to know is if the MB has more backseat room, I actually care about my passengers so comfort for them is important as well.
That's one of the GLS' biggest selling points. Its a good amount larger inside than an X7. 2nd row alone I think has about 4-inches more in legroom. Surprisingly BMW states the rear legroom of the X7 to be about 37 inches which is the same as my wife's GLC, although I'm sure the power seat function helps add more, but in comparison the GLS has a bigger 2nd and 3rd row.
      10-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #30
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruser1 View Post
SteelBMW
Have had 2 gl63 amg in a row and 2 mb gl550 before that (before amg existed). This last one (2016) has been a real maintenance headache. Suspension, struts, a/c. One issue after another and I have had similarly poor mb service experience as mentioned by fkim119

Similar grind of issues with one of my prior gl550 too.
Loved the gl63 drive but just got tired of the issues and poor (incompetent) MB service.

Thought long and hard about new gls63 but decided to try the xb7 alpina (tanzanite blue, blue/white interior). 3 things swung it for me:

1. Like the alpina luxury+performance and reliability brand ethos.
2. My issues with MB service and lack of reliability on my gl63 amg
3. Peculiar issue to my needs - more space in 3rd row of BMW. Before others howl about that, yes I know that 2nd row has more space in gls, but the seat travel in the 2nd row is more limited in gls, which means the seats don't travel as far forward and leaves less legroom in 3rd row than can be achieved in the BMW which has more 2nd row seat travel. I did testing of this and was an important issue for me given teenage kids with long legs.

Hope that helps.
Did you take delivery of your XB7 or are you still waiting for it to be built?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #31
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
That's one of the GLS' biggest selling points. Its a good amount larger inside than an X7. 2nd row alone I think has about 4-inches more in legroom. Surprisingly BMW states the rear legroom of the X7 to be about 37 inches which is the same as my wife's GLC, although I'm sure the power seat function helps add more, but in comparison the GLS has a bigger 2nd and 3rd row.
But the 3rd row in the GLS doesn’t have its own sunroof or climate controls, usb charge points, does it?? Usually the 3rd row in all luxury SUV’s is a penalty box for kids. The X7 with its quilted Merino seats and all leather trim feels more like the quality you get in a second row from other German SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #32
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
But the 3rd row in the GLS doesn't have its own sunroof or climate controls, usb charge points, does it?? Usually the 3rd row in all luxury SUV's is a penalty box for kids. The X7 with its quilted Merino seats and all leather trim feels more like the quality you get in a second row from other German SUVs.
Good points, but I was just answering his question about legroom. I honestly don't find much of that too big of a deal but everyone has different preferences. I'm just glad my children are grown and we don't need to deal with a third row and carpool anymore
      10-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good points, but I was just answering his question about legroom. I honestly don't find much of that too big of a deal but everyone has different preferences. I'm just glad my children are grown and we don't need to deal with a third row and carpool anymore
Yup, my 2 kids are 11yr and 13yr. Our 3rd row space is really for trip luggage. Good thing my luggage travels in style with its own sunroof.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #34
Caruser1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Ordered in July but still waiting...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #35
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ordered in July but still waiting...
When is it scheduled to be built?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #36
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Yup, my 2 kids are 11yr and 13yr. Our 3rd row space is really for trip luggage. Good thing my luggage travels in style with its own sunroof.
You are 100% right though, the GLS 63 has way more knee room. I drive with the driver seat all the way back, and when I sit behind my seat - my knees touch in the BMW, and I had about 1-1/2" or 2" of space in front of knees in the GLS 63.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #37
Caruser1
Rep

Quote:
When is it scheduled to be built?
They are telling me Jan 2021 delivery. Pretty annoyed given I ordered so early but so be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #38
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
They are telling me Jan 2021 delivery. Pretty annoyed given I ordered so early but so be it.
Wow, that's terrible. A BMW nearby me had the XB7 for a customer 3 weeks ago, I was allowed to check it out - but not drive it. Crazy he got his 3 months ahead. That tells me if I'm going XB7 then I need to be ready the first morning it is open to order.

I think I'm leaning XB7 at this point honestly. That would mean my wife will get the GLS 580 which will be better for more space, baby seats, groceries, etc. Plus, if I'm worried about 2nd row capacity if I need it, I can always take the 580 for the day. XB7 just looks much cooler to me.

I may have to refinish the wheels to brighten them up. I want Alpina Blue, but I can't decide if the Night Blue/Ivory interior will clash with the exterior blue or will it be OK? The alternate would be to go all white, with the headliner option, but I can't see it because the build-your-own doesn't show me what it looks like all white (dash included? so no black leather anywhere?).

Maybe I should do a post on my build and have people tell me what they recommend to change and why. I don't want to make a dumb mistake with such an expensive vehicle. It's tough that I can't see any of this in person ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #39
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
What exterior and interior colors did you order?

If I decide to order a XB7 I'll wait until ALPINA Green is available (rumor is March). The B7 looks great in ALPINA Green IMO.

New Individual colors are also rumored to be coming next spring for any X7 build.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #40
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:

If I decide to order a XB7 I'll wait until ALPINA Green is available (rumor is March). The B7 looks great in ALPINA Green IMO.

New Individual colors are also rumored to be coming next spring for any X7 build.
I love this color. There are some cars that look great in green, I think you are right, X7 will look fantastic in this color.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #41
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #42
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Quote:

If I decide to order a XB7 I'll wait until [COLOR="DarkGreen"]ALPINA Green[/COLOR] is available (rumor is March). The B7 looks great in ALPINA Green IMO.

I love this color. There are some cars that look great in green, I think you are right, X7 will look fantastic in this color.
Alpina Green looks good with the chrome and bright rims, but man, that Alpina Blue with the purple tinge to it, mmm...
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      10-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #43
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I decide to order a XB7 I'll wait until [COLOR="DarkGreen"]ALPINA Green[/COLOR] is available (rumor is March). The B7 looks great in ALPINA Green IMO.

Alpina Green looks good with the chrome and bright rims, but man, that Alpina Blue with the purple tinge to it, mmm...
I hear you. ALPINA Blue is not off the table, just leaning toward ALPINA Green at this point. Plenty of time to decide.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #44
SteelBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hear you. ALPINA Blue is not off the table, just leaning toward ALPINA Green at this point. Plenty of time to decide.
For sure. I have to order mine as soon as possible. I need a vehicle ASAP and clearly the wait times are huge. So I figure the faster I get the order in, the faster I'll get it. I cannot decide on whether I want the white/navy interior or just the solid white with the headliner to match, so it's all whited out. I'm a little concerned that the navy might clash with the Alpina Blue exterior?
Appreciate 0