F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs.WOW!
GetBMWParts

02-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #23
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan View Post
Okay I am a bit confused and I don't have my spec sheet handy, but is the suspension on the M sport package the same as that on the sport line?

Vic
Yes. You guys have the same suspension but different opinions haha. VIP thinks the car is still soft with the Dinan Springs, and you think it's better.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Yes. You guys have the same suspension but different opinions haha. VIP thinks the car is still soft with the Dinan Springs, and you think it's better.
No I think VIP does not have the 704 since his car is a sport without the option. He just bought the M Sport setup but not yet installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
No I think VIP does not have the 704 since his car is a sport without the option. He just bought the M Sport setup but not yet installed.
Ah okay. Now it all makes sense to me. When he asked about DHP, I got confused. I know for certain I have the M sport suspension. If that is what he is having installed then he is in for a pleasant surprise. My car in Sport mode is simply perfect because the suspension stiffen up further from comfort mode along with the steering wheel getting tighter. Could anyone with the Dinan spring kit please scan and post the recommend alignment setting that came in the box with the springs? I gave mine to the alignment tech. and he lost it.

Vic
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Let me start by saying that your car looks great! Glad you are happy with the results....

Now I'm not being negative at all here......but does anyone know if these will be any lower after they settle?

I have really been considering these Dinan springs but I really can't tell much difference from the stock before photo you posted? Maybe it's just the pictures?

I am running M Sport with DHP .... I just ordered my new wheels yesterday, 20's, so I am really trying to decide on suspension like ASAP. I really like my DHP option don't want to lose it....BUT I am not sure that I personally will be happy with the "drop" I am seeing? Feel like I am running out of options.

Again Bimmerfan your car looks great.

VIP can you comment on springs settling?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wrongwrongwrong. Sportline comes STANDARD with 704. He doesn't have the DHP option and neither does OP. m sport and sportline use the exact same suspension.

edit: I see the confusion. Dippydo. In the US, sportline comes standard with 704. In Europe it must be different.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay. Now it all makes sense to me. When he asked about DHP, I got confused. I know for certain I have the M sport suspension. If that is what he is having installed then he is in for a pleasant surprise. My car in Sport mode is simply perfect because the suspension stiffen up further from comfort mode along with the steering wheel getting tighter. Could anyone with the Dinan spring kit please scan and post the recommend alignment setting that came in the box with the springs? I gave mine to the alignment tech. and he lost it.

Vic
There is a lot of confusion here...how can your suspension get stiffer if you don't have DHP. DHP is the adaptive M suspension which was a $1000 package when you ordered your car. Without DHP, your car does not have multiple stiffnesses. VIP also has sport suspension on his sportline which is the same suspension you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #29
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Wrongwrongwrong. Sportline comes STANDARD with 704. He doesn't have the DHP option and neither does OP. m sport and sportline use the exact same suspension.

edit: I see the confusion. Dippydo. In the US, sportline comes standard with 704. In Europe it must be different.

I think it varied on year. When I was looking (2012), sport line did not include the sport 704 suspension. That was an option. Sport line then was just cosmetics (wiskers, better seats, wheels), speed limiter increased and additional oil cooler. Looking now at the 2014 they label it as "sport suspension" as part of the sport package, but not sure when that changed. And now on the order for M SPort they call it "M Sport Suspension". Confusing... I know Jamesviggen confirmed this before on another tread.

Last edited by Dippydo; 02-26-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think it varied on year. When I was looking (2012), sport line did not include the sport 704 suspension. That was an option. Sport line then was just cosmetics (wiskers, better seats, wheels), speed limiter increased and additional oil cooler. Looking now at the 2014 they label it as "sport suspension" as part of the sport package, but not sure when that changed. And now on the order for M SPort they call it "M Sport Suspension". Confusing... I know Jamesviggen confirmed this before on another tread.
Jamesviggen confirmed that it was the same, opposite of what you're saying. Anyway, you can see for yourself here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609252

704 standard on sportline
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #31
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Sport Line and M-Sport are the exact same springs (in the US) for their respective models; 335i vs 328i. But M-Performance is 10mm lower than Sport/M-Sport and I imagine stiffer. VIP is getting the M-Performance springs. NOT M-Sport springs.

So to recap...

Standard springs - Sport/M-Sport springs (10mm lower) - M-Performance springs (20mm lower)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #32
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Sport Line and M-Sport are the exact same springs (in the US) for their respective models; 335i vs 328i. But M-Performance is 10mm lower than Sport/M-Sport and I imagine stiffer. VIP is getting the M-Performance springs. NOT M-Sport springs.

So to recap...

Standard springs - Sport/M-Sport springs (10mm lower) - M-Performance springs (20mm lower)
Correct! My only point was that vip tried Dinan springs on Sport/M-sport suspension and thought it was too soft, so now he's trying M-perf suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #33
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Correct! My only point was that vip tried Dinan springs on Sport/M-sport suspension and thought it was too soft, so now he's trying M-perf suspension
Ahhh there's the confusion. They throw M-Performance behind and that changes it a bit with the additional 10mm drop. Sorry.. Been a while since that discussion was a topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #34
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located? I have a 2012 335i Sport Line (USA) which was ordered right after the initial dealer test fleet and the regular suspension was not an option for the Sport Line. Sport Line always came with the 704.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #35
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Where are you located? I have a 2012 335i Sport Line (USA) which was ordered right after the initial dealer test fleet and the regular suspension was not an option for the Sport Line. Sport Line always came with the 704.
I am in Minneapolis. I do not have a sport but was looking at them and the dealer guy told me that. He also did not know what DHP was so I probably should have known. Since I knew I was swapping out for coil overs I went with a base. It was my first BMW and I was actually looking for a 2011 335i, so I was not completely up on the BMW options when I bought. Figured hell I could get a new 2012 for the price of a used 335 so went that route.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #36
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
BTW I think you nailed it with the confusion of the Sport/M Sport with M Performance...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #37
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
I am in Minneapolis. I do not have a sport but was looking at them and the dealer guy told me that. He also did not know what DHP was so I probably should have known. Since I knew I was swapping out for coil overs I went with a base. It was my first BMW and I was actually looking for a 2011 335i, so I was not completely up on the BMW options when I bought. Figured hell I could get a new 2012 for the price of a used 335 so went that route.
Ahhh... dealer guys. Funny because my dealer guy also had some major misinformation while I had the correct information that I gathered from this forum. Dealer guy and I got into an argument about certain details of the order which culminated in me canceling my order. Couple hours later, the sales manager called me to apologize because they did some research and found out I was correct. To get me back on the table, they offered the car to me at invoice.

This was the fifth car that I've purchased new, and every single time the salesmen at the dealership barely knew anything about the cars other than what you can read on the brochure. I always smile at them when they quote the brochures word for word in their sales pitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #38
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
Looks good!!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #39
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is a lot of confusion here...how can your suspension get stiffer if you don't have DHP. DHP is the adaptive M suspension which was a $1000 package when you ordered your car. Without DHP, your car does not have multiple stiffnesses. VIP also has sport suspension on his sportline which is the same suspension you have.
Haha 'suspension stiffnesses' is an actual phrase. Well, I dunno if its in my mind perhaps it is, but I feel a difference in suspension firmness with sport mode engaged. maybe it is the steering throwing off my butt dyno.

Vic
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #40
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha 'suspension stiffnesses' is an actual phrase. Well, I dunno if its in my mind perhaps it is, but I feel a difference in suspension firmness with sport mode engaged. maybe it is the steering throwing off my butt dyno.

Vic
Are you sure you don't have DHP?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...T8gBkGZurpALJw
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #41
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, if you are asking if I have the same feature as the car in the video, then yes I do have a sport + mode and when activated, Dynamic traction control is engaged. I guess it comes standard on 2014 models because I did not select it when building my car in late 2013. I just selected the Msport package. I am almost certain that when I engage sport mode my suspension becomes firmer. I also noticed the black Dakota leather option I have is not available as a stand alone option anymore.

Vic

Last edited by BimmerFan; 02-26-2014 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #42
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I asked my sales rep to send me my options sheet earlier today and DHP was definitely not on it, but the M sport suspension is. Edmonds does state that the M sport suspension is deleted if the sport line with DHP is selected when using the 'build your own' tool for the 2014 model year. Not sure if this resolves anything, but just throwing that out there.

Vic
Makes sense! Your butt is just lying to you about the stiffer ride
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #43
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeckinSpaceman View Post
Makes sense! Your butt is just lying to you about the stiffer ride
Funny..I deleted that post.

Vic
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #44
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeckinSpaceman View Post
Let me start by saying that your car looks great! Glad you are happy with the results....

Now I'm not being negative at all here......but does anyone know if these will be any lower after they settle?

I have really been considering these Dinan springs but I really can't tell much difference from the stock before photo you posted? Maybe it's just the pictures?

I am running M Sport with DHP .... I just ordered my new wheels yesterday, 20's, so I am really trying to decide on suspension like ASAP. I really like my DHP option don't want to lose it....BUT I am not sure that I personally will be happy with the "drop" I am seeing? Feel like I am running out of options.

Again Bimmerfan your car looks great.

VIP can you comment on springs settling?
Thanks for the compliment. If you want an aggressive drop. A coilover system is probably your best best. You can't beat the flexibility of adjusting the height if things rub. My aim was mainly for a better handling ride with less squat and dive. The drop for me was just an added bonus. If the car came stock from the factory and rode like it does now without the drop, I wouldn't have touched it. I must also warn you that you should pick your wheels carefully when going coilovers. Certain offsets, tire sizes and wheel dimentions just don't play nice with certain coilovers....watch out for the shaft of the dampers on coilovers. Also, if you've never had a coilover system before, find someone who has one installed and ask for a ride just to have an idea of how they ride before you make a decision because if you end up not liking it, labor charges is a mother.

Vic
Appreciate 0