BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Apple Music or Spotify?

10-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #23
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
I would not use Spotify on my phone but the app in the car.
Someone using Spotify will have to answer from that app's perspective, but with Apple Music and CarPlay the three biggest benefits are:

1. Sound quality over alternatives like Spotify and XM.

2. Safest and easiest UI. Tap the microphone button on the steering wheel and say "Play Steely Dan Essentials" making it so simple to jump from playlists or songs "Play the new song from Taylor Swift". No need to launch an iPhone app, no screen tapping, no iDrive knob to twist.

3. The integration of the scroll wheel on the steering wheel and the rightmost pod on the speedometer display. To scroll through the songs on a given playlist, just roll the wheel and press to change to the specific song you are looking for. This comes in handy when I'm playing in-car DJ and I know I'm going to want to jump over songs based on having the kids in the car. I'm not sure that Spotify can do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #24
Gdwheel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegam View Post
Can't you simply turn change the focus setting on your watch from "driving" to "personal" or something similar? Haven't tested this yet in X7 but used to work in my Macan
This does not work. Apple does not allow notifications (email, Outlook, etc.) while using Carplay. It will read messages, but that is it. I just want to know if I have a notification, not to actually read it while driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 03:23 PM   #25
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

I have both but I think I'm going to keep Apple Music for my idrive8. The integration is way nicer and the sound is amazing if you got the H/K.

You also get all the graphics/album art which for some reason was clunky on spotifly - maybe I got the settings wrong but anyway Apple Music is definitely the way to go imo
Appreciate 1
awesoM307.50
      10-31-2022, 09:04 PM   #26
danbone7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

LOVE the ability to create pandora stations on Sirius. I didn't realize this was possible until I got a flyer in the mail that advertised it. Poked around and sure enough!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #27
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdwheel View Post
This does not work. Apple does not allow notifications (email, Outlook, etc.) while using Carplay. It will read messages, but that is it. I just want to know if I have a notification, not to actually read it while driving.
I get notifications on the vehicle screen when using CarPlay. If you just want to know what came in, that should work.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #28
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
I get notifications on the vehicle screen when using CarPlay. If you just want to know what came in, that should work.
This is correct. When I get a text in iMessage I hear my phone's alert tone and then a banner appears on the Carplay screen with the name of the person sending the text.

However, I think he wanted email alerts and that is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #29
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Just on a side note, lossless is very data intensive for streaming via cellular. That means, if you select lossless or even high-res lossless in the Apple Music settings on your phone, depending on the cellular connection, you might experience more music outages than you're used to. For comparison (table from the Apple Music settings page), a 3 minute song will be approximately:
- 1.5MB with HE-AAC
- 6MB with AAC 256kbps (that's the standard format Apple Music uses)
- 36MB with 24-bit/48kHz lossless
- 145MB with Hi-Res Lossless at 24-bit/192kHz
      11-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #30
Gdwheel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
This is correct. When I get a text in iMessage I hear my phone's alert tone and then a banner appears on the Carplay screen with the name of the person sending the text.

However, I think he wanted email alerts and that is not possible.
Right. I know how to get message alerts and even have them read aloud. I get a lot of work emails and when I am on a trip for work (which happens frequently) I want to keep track of them -- particularly if my appointment is being changed, canceled, etc. I hate how Apple decides what it thinks is best for people rather than letting them choose for themselves. It is an interesting approach considering the makeup of the senior leadership at Apple.

Sorry for sidetracking the discussion.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1331.50
      11-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #31
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Just on a side note, lossless is very data intensive for streaming via cellular. That means, if you select lossless or even high-res lossless in the Apple Music settings on your phone, depending on the cellular connection, you might experience more music outages than you're used to. For comparison (table from the Apple Music settings page), a 3 minute song will be approximately:
- 1.5MB with HE-AAC
You can't hear the benefits of Lossless Audio in a moving vehicle. Even those with $100K in-home systems or high end headphones can't hear the difference.

Choose High Quality and therefore no need for these massive stream sizes.

Years from now BMW will offer in-car Atmos systems and then you can choose Spatial Audio and that will be the gamechanger you can hear at speed in a moving vehicle with remixes putting instruments in your back seat and vocals out the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #32
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
- 1.5MB with HE-AAC
You can't hear the benefits of Lossless Audio in a moving vehicle. Even those with $100K in-home systems or high end headphones can't hear the difference.

Choose High Quality and therefore no need for these massive stream sizes.

Years from now BMW will offer in-car Atmos systems and then you can choose Spatial Audio and that will be the gamechanger you can hear at speed in a moving vehicle with remixes putting instruments in your back seat and vocals out the windshield.
I was just providing some added info for the members here, especially the ones who make their own choices of what feels comfortable to their minds & ears.

I will gladly select lossless, simply because a) I can b) I pay for it and c) maybe I do subjectively feel like I hear a difference.
      11-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #33
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
I was just providing some added info for the members here, especially the ones who make their own choices of what feels comfortable to their minds & ears.

I will gladly select lossless, simply because a) I can b) I pay for it and c) maybe I do subjectively feel like I hear a difference.
Do what makes you happy. Facts are facts, and we probably cannot hear the difference, however sometimes the intangible can matter more to how you feel than the "provable". It's really not who is right and who is wrong, but what makes you feel good and the amount of enjoyment you get from it.

I keep on reminding myself that opinions are like ...[something goes here]... everyone has one
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #34
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Quote:

Do what makes you happy. Facts are facts, and we probably cannot hear the difference, however sometimes the intangible can matter more to how you feel than the "provable". It's really not who is right and who is wrong, but what makes you feel good and the amount of enjoyment you get from it.

I keep on reminding myself that opinions are like ...[something goes here]... everyone has one
So wise. I feel enlightened. Everyone has an opinion? I am glad that now that you've clarified this, I can do whatever I please, forum members can feel comfortable selecting lossless for their feelings or AAC for their mind. The world is a better place now. Maybe I'll even start listening to 150MB cellular streamed audio-files.
      11-02-2022, 07:24 AM   #35
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So wise. I feel enlightened. Everyone has an opinion? I am glad that now that you've clarified this, I can do whatever I please, forum members can feel comfortable selecting lossless for their feelings or AAC for their mind. The world is a better place now. Maybe I'll even start listening to 150MB cellular streamed audio-files.
Can we get to the part that no new music is worth listening to anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #36
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can we get to the part that no new music is worth listening to anyway?
Yes I'm just messing with you all. I agree that pop music and charts are just, homogenous and boring these days. Everything and everybody just started sounding more or less the same. Add social media, Ticketmaster and influencer culture to it, and we just have a massive cultural echo chamber that edges out the interesting & different and amplifies the mainstream.
      11-08-2022, 11:10 AM   #37
CanesHockey97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2022 BMW X5

The sound quality on SiriusXM is annoying. Has anyone found an Apple Music radio station that is similar to the Pulse on XM?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #38
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesHockey97 View Post
The sound quality on SiriusXM is annoying. Has anyone found an Apple Music radio station that is similar to the Pulse on XM?
Go to this site which tracks the top 40-60 songs played on every XM station every week:

https://xmplaylist.com/

Then click on The Pulse which will take you here:

https://xmplaylist.com/station/thepulse

Then click on the "Apple Playlist" link in the upper left to go here:

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/...l.u-9YB4CG0Me1

Subscribe to that and you've got The Pulse on Apple Music. It's updated several times per month so it's always current.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #39
CanesHockey97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2022 BMW X5

Quote:
Go to this site which tracks the top 40-60 songs played on every XM station every week:

https://xmplaylist.com/

Then click on The Pulse which will take you here:

https://xmplaylist.com/station/thepulse

Then click on the "Apple Playlist" link in the upper left to go here:

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/...l.u-9YB4CG0Me1

Subscribe to that and you've got The Pulse on Apple Music. It's updated several times per month so it's always current.
Awesome! Thanks for the great tip!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 03:51 AM   #40
AdamFletcher
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi

Personally, I've found that both services offer a great experience in BMW vehicles. With Apple Music, you can access your iTunes library and sync it with your Apple Music account, making it easy to listen to your favorite songs and playlists. Apple Music also offers exclusive features like live radio shows and personalized playlists.

On the other hand, Spotify is a great option if you already use the app and have created playlists and preferences. Spotify also offers unique features like collaborative playlists and social sharing.

Ultimately, the choice between Apple Music and Spotify comes down to personal preference. Both services are great options and offer integration with BMW vehicles, so it's worth trying both to see which one suits your needs best.

If you're looking to transfer your playlists and tracks between different music streaming services, I recommend checking out MusConv. This tool can help you transfer your playlists and tracks between different music streaming services with ease.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:03 AM   #41
Piers John
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Quote:
Someone using Spotify will have to answer from that app's perspective, but with Apple Music and CarPlay the three biggest benefits are:

1. Sound quality over alternatives like Spotify and XM.

2. Safest and easiest UI. Tap the microphone button on the steering wheel and say "Play Steely Dan Essentials" making it so simple to jump from playlists or songs "Play the new song from Taylor Swift". No need to launch an iPhone app, no screen tapping, no iDrive knob to twist.

3. The integration of the scroll wheel on the steering wheel and the rightmost pod on the speedometer display. To scroll through the songs on a given playlist, just roll the wheel and press to change to the specific song you are looking for. This comes in handy when I'm playing in-car DJ and I know I'm going to want to jump over songs based on having the kids in the car. I'm not sure that Spotify can do that.
When considering alternatives to Spotify, it's essential to explore various platforms, each offering distinct features. Apple Music is renowned for its extensive library and exclusive content, making it a favorite among iOS users you can also checkout the comparison of Spotify vs Apple Music. Amazon Music provides flexibility with both Prime Music and the expanded Amazon Music Unlimited. Deezer's focus on high-quality audio and personalized recommendations appeals to audiophiles. Tidal stands out with its commitment to high-fidelity audio and exclusive artist content. YouTube Music offers a unique blend of music videos and official tracks, catering to visual enthusiasts. Meanwhile, Pandora's strength lies in crafting personalized radio stations based on user preferences. Depending on individual preferences and priorities, these alternatives provide diverse options for a rich music streaming experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 01:34 AM   #42
Piers John
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Hi There!

Absolutely agree! The convenience and safety features of Apple Music with CarPlay sound like a road trip dream. The emphasis on sound quality, coupled with a user-friendly interface that keeps distractions at bay, is a win-win. you can also checkout the music streaming platforms side by side comparison on the given source Spotify vs Apple Music. And the in-car DJ capabilities using the steering wheel scroll wheel – genius! It's those thoughtful touches that make the driving experience truly enjoyable. Kudos to Apple for bringing harmony to both the music and the road!
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1331.50
      02-05-2024, 10:34 AM   #43
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers John View Post
Absolutely agree! The convenience and safety features of Apple Music with CarPlay sound like a road trip dream. The emphasis on sound quality, coupled with a user-friendly interface that keeps distractions at bay, is a win-win. you can also checkout the music streaming platforms side by side comparison on the given source Spotify vs Apple Music. And the in-car DJ capabilities using the steering wheel scroll wheel – genius! It's those thoughtful touches that make the driving experience truly enjoyable. Kudos to Apple for bringing harmony to both the music and the road!
Definitely! And if someone wants to try Apple Music out in the X7, all they have to remember are these commands, long-press the voice button on the steering wheel, and off they go:

"Play (artist name here) Essentials" will start to play a curated list made by the artist themselves of the 20-30 songs they think represent them the best. Their top hits plus some secondary tracks too.

"Play the Top Songs by (artist name here)" will play the most popular songs by that artist as voted by millions of listeners by their playcounts. The list goes on indefinitely, its like a Top 100 of a given artist.

"Play the New Song by (artist name here)" always plays the most recent release by that artist.

"Play the New Album by (artist name here)" same as above, for their latest album.

"Play my Favorites Mix" will play your personal favorite songs and artists, the ones that you listen to and enjoy the most, presented in a way that flows perfectly. A great go-to when you don't have a specific song or mood in mind. It's updated on the 1st of every month so it never gets stale.

"Play my Get Up Mix" will play your personal favorite songs and artists but all upbeat and optimistic selections, great for working out or just if you're in a particularly good mood. Updated on the 1st of every month.

"Play some Holiday Jazz"

"Play the Top Songs of 1983"

"Play Songs for a Rainy Day"

It's endless.

And, of course, you can play or create your own personalized Playlists on your iPhone or in iTunes, and ask for any of those by name too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #44
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
For all those talking about not being able to hear a difference between streaming services, Bluetooth, etc while in a car; try this:

Have music playing via any platform (iTunes, Spotify, Files) on your phone while it is connected via the USB port in the center armrest. Now unplug your phone and listen as the Bluetooth takes over. You will notice a dramatic drop in volume, clarity, and fidelity.

My point is that if you’re listening via Bluetooth it doesn’t really matter what the source material is, it will sound like crap. Directly connected via USB however my trained ears (sound engineer by trade) can definitely hear the richness and depth in sound provided by the lossless formats, especially with the Bowers system.

Also, as another user mentioned, BMW can play FLAC files directly off your USB drive, which is currently the gold standard in audio and an amazing feature in and of itself.
Appreciate 0