BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models) New to this forum, just got a 1997 328i

01-26-2024, 09:13 PM   #1
dimmerbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Talking New to this forum, just got a 1997 328i

Never had a BMW, had 4 Benz's during my lifetime. Here is why I chose this car off Craigslist...

I have two diesel trucks, one has a tranny on life support, the other has a powerstroke that no one on the forums knows how to fix so I was looking for an "emergency" car in case my other truck bites the dust.

So a local guy was selling this Bimmer, low miles for the year (1997) of 136 K, It has new tires, the exterior and interior are in very good shape, everything works, good spare tire and jack, all manuals service paperwork etc. Price was very good at $1000, the tires alone are worth half of that so I just bought it as soon as it posted. It was well taken care of except it has these issues...

The front shocks (struts) are toast, the belt tensioner is noisy and the drive line vibrates due to some sort of rubber mounting issue which my mechanic told me is usually good for only 100k and this needs replacing.

So, since I am new to these cars, not sure what these rubber mounts are called so if anyone could educate me on what they are and how difficult it is to replace them would be great.

I am guessing these are parts that can only be bought from BMW (no aftermarket) and probably will be spendy. The struts can be aftermarket and not sure if the belt tensioner has to be OEM or if it is the bearings that can be replaced..

I have a new lift post in my warehouse so we can get it up in the air to do the work .

Would appreciate any tips on the work that needs to be done. Thanks, Ray
Appreciate 1
Mani5913492.00
      01-27-2024, 07:58 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:37 AM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Welcome! Your car is known as BMW chassis E36 - you'll find E36-specific forums, Facebook pages, etc.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/e36-1991-1999.97/
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...991-1999-(E36)

You can use realoem.com to find the BMW part number for any part of interest. Input the last 7 digits of your VIN into the box to drill down. With the part number you can search for the best pricing.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sel...Lim&model=328i

Many BMW dealers offer online sales so you can save vs. purchasing over the parts counter. FCPEuro.com is a supplier that sells BMW, OEM and OE parts, depending on your budget. They also offer lifetime replacement warranty so you'll only pay for the part once. https://www.fcpeuro.com/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
dimmerbimmer
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I will check these sites out for buying the parts and next week will get this old girl up on the lift to what we all need to get this roadworthy for long trips.

My mechanic was a helicopter mechanic in the Army and he really knows a lot about all kinds of cars. Thanks again for the info, Ray
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:17 AM   #5
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

"rubber mounting issue" - could be the CSB (Center Support Bearing) halfway down driveshaft or guibo flex disc at output of trans.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:15 PM   #6
dimmerbimmer
Registered
Rep

Thanks, I too am thinking it sounds like the Giubo Driveshaft flex joint. looks li9ke it runs around $68 off FCP euro parts site.

The former owner mentioned the vibration seems to come directly underneath the area between the 2 front seats. I will get it up in the air on the lift and let the mechanic check it out.

We need to replace what we think is the belt tensioner either bearing going out, and we will replace the belts and might as well do the water pump even though no leaks, at 136k I am sure it is in its sunset years.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #7
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Welcome Ray, looks forward to some photos! Good luck with the project.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #8
dimmerbimmer
Registered
Rep

Thanks, i am going to give her a bath tomorrow and a waxing. It is a nice color, sort of a blue/green and the paint is in very good condition for a car 27 years old.
Appreciate 1
Mani5913492.00
      01-28-2024, 11:15 PM   #9
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Welcome! Sounds like you got a good one at a great price. Looking forward to hearing about your project.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:11 AM   #10
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Sure happy to help! Don't have E36 experience, just E30 and E46. I don't think you can do the flex disc without at least partially the dropping the exhaust and CSB. The trans output shaft doesn't allow the guibo to just slide out.

Unless imminent failure is obvious, I usually do a "driveshaft service" all at once, trans mounts, flex disc, CSB, leaking trans or diff seals.

Sounds like a great car definitely worth the attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmerbimmer View Post
Thanks, I too am thinking it sounds like the Giubo Driveshaft flex joint. looks li9ke it runs around $68 off FCP euro parts site.

The former owner mentioned the vibration seems to come directly underneath the area between the 2 front seats. I will get it up in the air on the lift and let the mechanic check it out.

We need to replace what we think is the belt tensioner either bearing going out, and we will replace the belts and might as well do the water pump even though no leaks, at 136k I am sure it is in its sunset years.
Appreciate 0