BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I’ve installed the latest Openpilot system in my Corolla

11-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I’ve installed the latest Openpilot system in my Corolla

Anyone on here using or following Openpilot by comma.ai?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openpilot

I've been following their development for a while.

Since we picked up a Corolla as a daily driver, and they just released new hardware that makes the install much cleaner than it used to be, I decided to give it a shot. I'm honestly very impressed with it's performance especially on a sub-$20k car using nothing but the stock lidar and vision.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Anyone on here using or following Openpilot by comma.ai?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openpilot

I've been following their development for a while.
The topic came up on a BMW i3 forum a few days ago. Their BMW support isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but it looks like it has more potential than BMW's less-than-smooth TJA option.....
      11-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The topic came up on a BMW i3 forum a few days ago. Their BMW support isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but it looks like it has more potential than BMW's less-than-smooth TJA option.....
Yeah they don't support a whole lot of cars, although they do keep adding more. I think the main issue is actually being able to hack into the cars systems to be able to control the wheel, gas etc.

It's still a dev kit so even though my 2020 Corolla is claimed to be supported I did have to do some extra steps to get mine to work because it has the keyless entry and blindspot monitor package. Wasn't too hard, but definitely not something the average consumer would do.

Still the system works amazingly well. The corolla already has adaptive cruise and lane keep assist stock, but this system works MUCH better. Especially on the highway. Plus it has driver monitoring so you don't get the annoying wheel nag every few seconds. Just came back from Miami and basically once I got on the turnpike, I turned it on and did not have to touch the wheel until I got off the turnpike 45min later or to change lanes.
Appreciate 4
eluded2959.00
vreihen1614904.50
Sedoy675.50
clee1982796.00
      11-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Per their Wikipedia page, they are only making it available as a dev kit and not a completed product because NHTSA demanded that they comply with FMVSS when they were selling it as a complete product. By only selling the hardware and letting the buyer download the open-source software from GitHub, they are not selling a complete product.

I'm not willing to part with $600 until someone else gets a BMW bus interface working. Normally, I'd be jumping all over a chance to hack the busses in a vehicle, but my plate is full on another big side project right now and my knowledge of the BMW electronic ecosystem is still lacking compared with other marques that I know inside-out.....
      11-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

No but sometimes I watch geohot's steams when I'm running low on high IQ autism.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
No but sometimes I watch geohot's steams when I'm running low on high IQ autism.
I remember clicking on one of his programming live stream videos once... then realizing it was like 8 hours long . Guy is a beast... fucking insane... but a beast none the less.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
For those that wish to get even lazier...
Appreciate 0