BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Replacement for Hellcat daily driver?

11-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
2016-2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus with the supercharged 3.0 run for about $25-30k depending on mileage. Great mix of comfort, class and sport.

Same engine as the B8.5 S4, which has been touted as one of Audi's most reliable powerplants. That engine also responds really well to basic tune & intake upgrades.
This is a pretty good idea TBH.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #46
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I like this idea, turbo awd kick/acceleration down low is a lot of seat in the pants fun, plus easier to add power than most.

Some of the suggestions here are bat-****-crazy IMO. C6!?

Well he said budget of $30K....so not C7 territory. And he daily drives a Hellcat.

I know plenty of people who daily drive Corvette's. They aren't garage queens. Plenty of power and TQ stock, handle great, and very reliable.

And I think it looks better than the Stinger. But we all have our opinions. Some of us just don't criticize other people's recommendations based on what we personally prefer.
      11-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #47
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Later model C6 GrandSport. Plenty of cargo space, easy to mod and work on, and I have thrashed all of my Vette's any chance I had with no reliability issues.

Only downside is the snow you mentioned.

But then again...I am biased.
No one reading daily driver & reading my location of PA where it snows?

Also, I have already owned 3 Vettes (C6, C6Z & 600+ WHP C5.) Next would be C7 or C8
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #48
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This is a pretty good idea TBH.
I worry that I would not be happy with an Audi that does not have S or RS in front of the model #. I just know myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #49
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Lexus? RC-F or bust
Budget was in my OP. $30k or less.
I figured you for a GS-F kind of person when I saw hellcat.
(I didn't like the RC or IS, interior was too tight, and poor outward visibility)

But glad you're sticking to under $30k.

Anything can winter as long as you have the right tires

Seth
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #50
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with an IS350 F Sport, worth test driving IMO. My buddy has a 2016 IS300 which lacks some balls, but it's a good looking car and the interior is gorgeous. Also, it's an easy car to maintain mechanically.
It's a 14 second car. Hard pass
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #51
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I worry that I would not be happy with an Audi that does not have S or RS in front of the model #. I just know myself.
Audi SQ5? My buddy has one and it moves, especially for such a large vehicle. AWD and a nice interior + tons of creature comforts.

As previously mentioned, SRT Jeep? You could stay MOPAR.

Lastly, I mentioned the Chevy SS on page 1, and stand by it. Got to ride in one with a pro driver around the Charlotte Roval and it seriously impressed me, especially considering my Dad and brother were in the back seats.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #52
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
I figured you for a GS-F kind of person when I saw hellcat.
(I didn't like the RC or IS, interior was too tight, and poor outward visibility)

But glad you're sticking to under $30k.

Anything can winter as long as you have the right tires

Seth
I don't need a giant sedan. Hellcat just happens to be a big sedan.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #53
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Audi SQ5? My buddy has one and it moves, especially for such a large vehicle. AWD and a nice interior + tons of creature comforts.

As previously mentioned, SRT Jeep? You could stay MOPAR.

Lastly, I mentioned the Chevy SS on page 1, and stand by it. Got to ride in one with a pro driver around the Charlotte Roval and it seriously impressed me, especially considering my Dad and brother were in the back seats.
GC SRT (2nd gen) & Chevy SS are on the short list. I'd have to drive an Sq5 before going either way on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #54
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You're not gonna like the Chevy, i'm telling you. Even as an Aussie ... it's 10 years old! Now if it was done right like the HSV cars, that'd be different.

https://www.hsv.com.au/gtsrw1/#introduction
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #55
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're not gonna like the Chevy, i'm telling you. Even as an Aussie ... it's 10 years old! Now if it was done right like the HSV cars, that'd be different.

https://www.hsv.com.au/gtsrw1/#introduction
THAT, I like
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #56
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Nothing is going to touch the Hellcat for skinny pedal giggles, maybe go a completely different direction for a while, how about a Jeep Wrangler? Have fun in a different way, and not compare it to the hellcat
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #57
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

i would suggest a raptor, i love mine, but not really in your stated budget
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #58
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Used 335 is one answer, especially if you chip it. But as always, GTI is hard to argue with.
slowly, but surely, 335i is replacing the Miata as the answer)
      11-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #59
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I'm just chiming in to say that I know someone that just traded in their Hellcat, and they ended up with a new 7-series...

Not sure how that computes exactly, but if it were me off your current list I'm not sure what I would take... Maybe the SS? But its ugly and dated I think. I may be biased but I would still say e9x M3 because it checks all the boxes (V8, new-ish w/aftermarket warranty, and under 30k) However all that said, the Audi also was on my list, but not something I would have liked ultimately.

The only other wildcard I have to offer is the C63 AMG, I just think that car is the perfect combo of a bit of everything and it's a good price used, even if a bit heavy. A friend of a friend had his out at the track this past weekend and the car was perfect.

Lastly, what about the Alfa?? You can comfortably get a Giulia for the 30's and if you really wanted the Quadrifoglio they're a decent deal with low miles still for 40's. I spent a weekend on the Tail of the Dragon in one plus a 10 hour drive home and it was comfortable and fun

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #60
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Lastly, what about the Alfa?? You can comfortably get a Giulia for the 30's and if you really wanted the Quadrifoglio they're a decent deal with low miles still for 40's. I spent a weekend on the Tail of the Dragon in one plus a 10 hour drive home and it was comfortable and fun
My fiance fell in love with the Giulia so went on some test drives. She ultimately didn't end up getting it, but it was very very nice, inside and out. I am actually a fan of FCA products, but I know most are not. As for the Quadrifoglio, I have heard a lot of horror stories about blown engines. It's a tiny 2.9L V6 TT pushing 500hp+ (so to me) it seems like it's strung extremely high. That being said, it is a newer car, so as long as it has factory warranty transferable to 2nd+ owners, any problems will be taken care of.

For the regular Giulia, they do make it in AWD for the snow aspect, since OP mentioned that. I have no idea how the Quadrifoglio would do in the snow.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #61
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

BMW M240 x drive. 12 second car stock. Great handling and the right size. Can transport 4 adults on trips shorter than an hour. Excellent traveling car for 2 people. Great all weather capability. Nicely optioned. Somewhat luxurious. Reliable. Dealers willing to deal on them.

Go drive one.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #62
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
slowly, but surely, 335i is replacing the Miata as the answer)
Never
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #63
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
2016-2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus with the supercharged 3.0 run for about $25-30k depending on mileage. Great mix of comfort, class and sport.

Same engine as the B8.5 S4, which has been touted as one of Audi's most reliable powerplants. That engine also responds really well to basic tune & intake upgrades.
Bullshit) as an owner of a project b8 s4 which basically a pre-“lci” b8.5, I could not disagree more. For starters, a6’s engine is NOT the same as s4. It has a supercharger too and 3 liter, but much weaker. Will burn oil too, although less than their 2.0T engines.
Here’s a rundown of issues:
Leaky thermostat, water pump and bad pcv. Quite involving job.
Melted cats - very difficult to replace. Cats will melt if the op doesn’t resist the temptation to tune the car. It’s very tempting because more power is sc pulley and reflash away.
I guess one saving grace is that it doesn’t have a dl501 dsg which is so reliable and smooth.
Anyways, that thing won’t be trouble free and if op is not a diy type, will be expensive. And mlb platform Audis are more difficult to work in than e90 bmws for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #64
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
I don't need a giant sedan. Hellcat just happens to be a big sedan.
I hear you.
For FWD you really can't beat the Acura's in terms of handling and feel from the seat (steering notwithstanding on the TLX - ILX is the most tossable).
Sure they're no sports car but aren't trying to be one.
They are certainly not as common, hold their value, and don't break.
Cars like the elantra sport and golf are a rung down because they may drive as nice but don't hold their value and don't have as much pizzaz.

But seems like you want something AWD (all options below have AWD)

I've reached a stage that I prefer something unique. I don't need big power or 4 doors. Just something inexpensive that's safe with a nice radio that's quiet on the highway. Friends have gone the E30 route, which admittedly are super cool, but don't have things like air bags or ABS or crumple zones (and they are loud). I like cheap too : ) (FWD doesn't bug me which is why I liked the X1, although the AWD X3 are excellent, as is the SUV coupe thing they sell this one is outside budget though)

Others have gone the basic black tahoe, and of course there's the group that takes a used forester or crosstrek and has fun with customizing it.
Those are the people that buy, the people that lease grab a lincoln aviator (interesting) or infinity, with lots in mercedes and honda (not interesting). Toyota's lease very strongly but aren't interesting either.

The 25y imported stuff is certainly interesting, but I'd worry about service.

Its tricky finding an older car that will be dead reliable but also have modern safety (that isn't a honda/mazda/toyota). You can always add soundproofing when putting in the new head unit with nice tires to keep it quiet.

Since we're talking about the 'other' car, something you can daily, why not a used Maserati Quattroporte with the V8. They are under your budget. Lord knows what service is like, but its certainly a statement.

If you wanted sexy as hell I would say Jag F type. They are finally hitting your budget but at the higher end. (again as long as you have another car to drive when this one needs work).

Seth

P.S. this is an edit - if this car is really your only car, then I would pick one that never breaks. Get the least expensive model that has the features you are happy with it and be done. I'd drop your budget to about $20k (since nothing is improved betweek $20k-30k) and see what's out there. This way your machine depreciates the least, and it also costs the least in upkeep, with the smallest downtime.

Last edited by sethwas; 11-15-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #65
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Bullshit) as an owner of a project b8 s4 which basically a pre-“lci” b8.5, I could not disagree more. For starters, a6’s engine is NOT the same as s4. It has a supercharger too and 3 liter, but much weaker. Will burn oil too, although less than their 2.0T engines.
Here’s a rundown of issues:
Leaky thermostat, water pump and bad pcv. Quite involving job.
Melted cats - very difficult to replace. Cats will melt if the op doesn’t resist the temptation to tune the car. It’s very tempting because more power is sc pulley and reflash away.
I guess one saving grace is that it doesn’t have a dl501 dsg which is so reliable and smooth.
Anyways, that thing won’t be trouble free and if op is not a diy type, will be expensive. And mlb platform Audis are more difficult to work in than e90 bmws for sure.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability. Luxury cars, especially if they are loaded up, come with lots of complex systems. The more systems, the more likely that one will fail.

If reliability is the primary concern, buy a basic vehicle with no options. But from the thread, I don't think that is the OP's primary concern.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #66
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Complexity is the enemy of reliability. Luxury cars, especially if they are loaded up, come with lots of complex systems. The more systems, the more likely that one will fail.

If reliability is the primary concern, buy a basic vehicle with no options. But from the thread, I don't think that is the OP's primary concern.
Poor excuse. I don’t think it’s the complexity, but rather, poor engineering and artificial complexity. Besides, poor reliability effectively rises the price. It is no longer a 30k vehicle, it’s a 40-45k vehicle with 30k “downpayment”
Appreciate 0