E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fed up with body shop's BS. Need advice - what would you do?

08-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Quick update from my phone:
Visited with my advisor and saw the car. It's got no bumpers, no glass, no interior and 90% of the car is primer.

The car is supposed to be ready for paint on Monday, and somehow that translates to it being ready on approx 9/10. Not sure how it takes 2 weeks to paint a car, but I wanted a No BS final time estimate so it is what it is.

I got a couple of pictures but it looks pretty rough I'll post them later if anyone wants to see what 7 weeks' work looks like.
looks like some progress :-)
don't give them anymore money.
waiting for the shining car pics with drinks.
have a good weekend and good luck !
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Quick update from my phone:
Visited with my advisor and saw the car. It's got no bumpers, no glass, no interior and 90% of the car is primer.

The car is supposed to be ready for paint on Monday, and somehow that translates to it being ready on approx 9/10. Not sure how it takes 2 weeks to paint a car, but I wanted a No BS final time estimate so it is what it is.

I got a couple of pictures but it looks pretty rough I'll post them later if anyone wants to see what 7 weeks' work looks like.
. Post them!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #47
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
A couple of quick photos from today's visit. Sorry for the crappy iPhone quality. I was trying to be stealthy while taking these, lol

As you can see, the bumpers are off and the driver side doors look like they've just been installed. The headliner is completely gone, and the part behind the rear seats (not sure what it's called -- where the speakers are) is also gone, as it is being replaced along with the speakers. They are removing the entire back seat assembly to clean up all the glass, as well, though I'm not sure if they've done that already or not.

The new roof is on and the welds looked pretty clean. Interesting that there is a hole for the shark fin antenna in the roof itself -- I always assumed those were just stuck on. They are actually part of the roof. The more you know!

I also got a chance to see our side curtain airbags placed all along the roof since most of the interior was out. There are a sh!t ton of them.

Really hard to see the car in this condition, as he is my baby. Although now I know what he will look like in matte black (having the car wrapped after this).
Attached Images

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #48
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A couple of quick photos from today's visit. Sorry for the crappy iPhone quality. I was trying to be stealthy while taking these, lol

As you can see, the bumpers are off and the driver side doors look like they've just been installed. The headliner is completely gone, and the part behind the rear seats (not sure what it's called -- where the speakers are) is also gone, as it is being replaced along with the speakers. They are removing the entire back seat assembly to clean up all the glass, as well, though I'm not sure if they've done that already or not.

The new roof is on and the welds looked pretty clean. Interesting that there is a hole for the shark fin antenna in the roof itself -- I always assumed those were just stuck on. They are actually part of the roof. The more you know!

I also got a chance to see our side curtain airbags placed all along the roof since most of the interior was out. There are a sh!t ton of them.

Really hard to see the car in this condition, as he is my baby. Although now I know what he will look like in matte black (having the car wrapped after this).

How damaged was your roof? From my experience most body shops do not want to replace roofs as welds have to be almost perfect for it to be structurally sound.

For the amount of time they have had your car I think almost more should have been done.

My car goes into the body shop after my turbo replacement and they are doing two dings in the roof, driver side quarter, trunk scratches, new rear bumper, front bumper, rockers, hood. I was estimated 2 weeks for all the work.

Ironic they are certified Mercedes repair facility.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #49
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
How damaged was your roof? From my experience most body shops do not want to replace roofs as welds have to be almost perfect for it to be structurally sound.

For the amount of time they have had your car I think almost more should have been done.

My car goes into the body shop after my turbo replacement and they are doing two dings in the roof, driver side quarter, trunk scratches, new rear bumper, front bumper, rockers, hood. I was estimated 2 weeks for all the work.

Ironic they are certified Mercedes repair facility.
I agree that more should have been done in the amount of time they've had the car. With that said, this is a LOT of progress based on the last time I saw the car. I think my constant nagging has lit a fire under their asses and they are now just trying to get me out of their hair. I believe they probably sat on the car for 2 or 3 weeks after they got it.

As for the roof, it was a goner. See my hail damage thread for info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705347
Photos on page 1 and 4 (detailed roof shot on page 4), video on page 2. There is no way the roof was staying. Hail had knocked enough dents in it that the insurance adjuster deemed it undriveable and not structurally sound (this was not your average hail storm. This was more like an icy meteor shower, honestly. See the video in my thread above). The roof alone is what made me initially think that the car would be totaled. My advisor showed me the welds and they looked about as perfect as welds could look, so I'm at least pleased that they took their time in that aspect. I believe it took something like 30 hours to replace the roof.

And this place is a certified Audi repair shop -- my poor car has been surrounded by Audis and Porsches for 2 months. Haha.

COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #50
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

i have a really short temper and close to no patience when it comes to things like this. i've gone and yelled at owners of body shops for not having my car ready on time. they don't seem to care. at all.

yelling isn't the answer though... once i yelled at a guy and when i got my car back my versace cologne (99% full), my ipod cord, and a bunch of golf balls were missing. prob $200 worth of stuff. of course it's impossible to prove they took it, but i know it was them.

people just piss me off. do what you say you're going to, or tell me up front and be professional about it.

good luck
      08-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryce
i have a really short temper and close to no patience when it comes to things like this. i've gone and yelled at owners of body shops for not having my car ready on time. they don't seem to care. at all.

yelling isn't the answer though... once i yelled at a guy and when i got my car back my versace cologne (99% full), my ipod cord, and a bunch of golf balls were missing. prob $200 worth of stuff. of course it's impossible to prove they took it, but i know it was them.

people just piss me off. do what you say you're going to, or tell me up front and be professional about it.

good luck
Completely agree. I don't have much patience for people who don't do what they say they're going to do, and even less patience for people who try to lie to me or treat me like "a girl who doesn't know anything."

I used to be a bit more hot-headed about things when I was younger. Not that I'm old now, but wiser, maybe I try to be reasonable and pick my battles. I think they now know not to screw with me anymore, but time will tell. If the new, mutually agreed upon deadline comes and goes, they will see a new side of my personality that they won't like.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #52
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I'm not an attorney.
Allstate sent the check in your name *AND* the name of the body shop? Correct?
Did you sign the check? If you signed the check then they have already spent your money.

For anyone reading this thread. You never sign an insurance check until the work is done.
I don't care what they say o how much they whine; never, ever let money get ahead of the work. You only leverage to get it done fast is that they have not been paid.
This....Since the check came in both you and the bodyshops name, you must still have a lien holder on your car. In that case Allstate should have given you the choice of having it made out to you and the shop or you and your lien holder...I would have done the latter so that way you still have leverage. You can pay them to order parts and the rest once the job is complete. Really you have no recourse other than to sue them and move your and you will still owe them for the "work" they have done up to this point. Your really in a pickle and are probably just going to have to be at their mercy at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #53
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
On a somewhat related note, I also noticed yesterday when I looked at the car that the battery has been left connected, I assume for most of the time it's been there (which, if it is ready when they say it will be, will be a total of over 2 months). I don't know much about BMW batteries, but I know that, generally, leaving any battery connected and unused for 2 months is not a good idea. Should I have the battery load tested before I accept the car back?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #54
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

hope all is well.. close to getting her back , just noticed your video is a big hit on youtube! 37k!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #55
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, I also noticed yesterday when I looked at the car that the battery has been left connected, I assume for most of the time it's been there (which, if it is ready when they say it will be, will be a total of over 2 months). I don't know much about BMW batteries, but I know that, generally, leaving any battery connected and unused for 2 months is not a good idea. Should I have the battery load tested before I accept the car back?
Yes have the battery load tested.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #56
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nothing you can really do IMO but deal with the cards you have at this point. They have the car, the money, the parts and no written agreement for a completion time with consequences for not meeting it. You could pick the car up and take it somewhere else but you still owe them for what they did. If you fail to pay them for even a dollar of excess costs that you haven't already they can put a mechanics lean on the car and keep it and after about 30 days if its still not paid they will own in. It sucks...what you can do is write reviews on Google, Yahoo and everywhere else you can find. It does nothing for you but it will help others. If you choose to do that just be honest and fair about your experience and don't blow things out of proportion.
I've had to use body shops a few times and had really a really good experience with Service King after getting rear ended in my Jeep a few years ago.

Did you have the option to go to one of their preferred shops and have them pay the shop directly or did they just cut you a check? I ask because the same Jeep was in the body shop another time (I had all kinds of bad luck in that Jeep, lol), my insurance company covered it but paid directly for that and the rental (minus deductible) . I mention this because as a preferred shop if they don't do the agreed upon work within the allotted time there are penalties. I know this because they asked me to pick up the Jeep as soon as it was done because that was the last day they had before the insurance company started penalizing them. If I had waited until the next day to come get it the insurance company was going to start deducting the cost of my rental from their re-reimbursement.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

even if it is an acceptable body shop through your insurance, check the internet before giving them anything especially your car. if the reviews are something that concern you than don't bother. yelp or BBB always good places to start
      09-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #58
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quick update -- was supposed to get the car back yesterday but heard from them on Thursday that they had (shockingly!!!) ordered a bunch of incorrect parts, yet again. And they may or may not have ruined my CF hood because they sanded down the gel coating and (I assume) attempted to paint the CF directly, leaving the paint to soak into the weave and leave a weave pattern on the painted hood. Can't really get any worse at this point. I am kind of finding this humorous now. I will be picking the car up on Wednesday (9/12), finished or not. If the hood is ruined they'll be buying me a new one.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #59
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme
hope all is well.. close to getting her back , just noticed your video is a big hit on youtube! 37k!
Lol, yeah, my video even made the local news here. That wasn't quite what I wanted my car's claim to fame to be, haha.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quick update -- was supposed to get the car back yesterday but heard from them on Thursday that they had (shockingly!!!) ordered a bunch of incorrect parts, yet again. And they may or may not have ruined my CF hood because they sanded down the gel coating and (I assume) attempted to paint the CF directly, leaving the paint to soak into the weave and leave a weave pattern on the painted hood. Can't really get any worse at this point. I am kind of finding this humorous now. I will be picking the car up on Wednesday (9/12), finished or not. If the hood is ruined they'll be buying me a new one.
Damn, that's highly unprofessional.
This is high time to use the shop's name and start posting your reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #61
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
That shop sucks! Sorry for all for all of the troubles that they are giving you. I have to agree, yelling will not solve anything, especially in the service business. They have your car and that's leverage since it's pretty much behind closed doors. Your only leverage now if progress is not made is to involve your insurance company. Not to ask them that they have to do something because they have already cut the check but to see what your options are. Having a big insurance company going after the shop is much more threatening compared to just one customer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Agreed. I will be posting honest, complete reviews with Google/Yelp/etc, but will wait until I have the car back.

I went by today and talked to the owner in person. He was unaware of a lot of the latest issues, and called my advisor at home while I was standing there. He also grabbed one of the paint/body guys from the back (the guy who painted my hood the first and second time) and had him tell me exactly what went wrong and how he fixed it. I don't have any complaints about how the owner has handled his business; I think I got an advisor who needs a bit of training on how to handle customers. He is making the shop look bad, when I think all (or most) of this could have been avoided with better communication from Day 1. I'll say again that I have personally seen the work that this shop does and it is top-notch. That does not excuse the poor service and communication, but does explain why I chose this shop over the many others in the area who I'm sure would have loved to have my business (and acted accordingly).

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #63
sour07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe

Quote:
Agreed. I will be posting honest, complete reviews with Google/Yelp/etc, but will wait until I have the car back.

I went by today and talked to the owner in person. He was unaware of a lot of the latest issues, and called my advisor at home while I was standing there. He also grabbed one of the paint/body guys from the back (the guy who painted my hood the first and second time) and had him tell me exactly what went wrong and how he fixed it. I don't have any complaints about how the owner has handled his business; I think I got an advisor who needs a bit of training on how to handle customers. He is making the shop look bad, when I think all (or most) of this could have been avoided with better communication from Day 1. I'll say again that I have personally seen the work that this shop does and it is top-notch. That does not excuse the poor service and communication, but does explain why I chose this shop over the many others in the area who I'm sure would have loved to have my business (and acted accordingly).
I would have been fuming after the first month. How can you take so much BS?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #64
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post

It seems like you're somewhat feeling bad for them. Don't. The owner knows everything that is going on. Don't think he was unaware of a car that sat in his shop for 2 months. He's playing the dumb card and blaming it on one of his "employees" on purpose. I couldn't stand to be out of my car for three days. I couldn't imagine 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #65
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
No, no, I am definitely not feeling bad for them. They majorly screwed up and I've been a big thorn in their side. I have only posted a small portion of the full story, which would go on for pages if I posted it. I'll save the rest of the details for the online reviews.

I think my current attitude is a result of just being relieved that this is finally (almost) over. I got confirmation that the only remaining items are installing the rear speakers, installing the hood (again) and detailing the car. There is not much else they can screw up at this point. Regardless of who specifically dropped the ball here (and I think some of the fault lies with several people at the shop, not just my advisor), I will mostly just be happy to have my car back and never see them again (after this I am sure the feeling is mutual as I have not been "nice" to them). I will vote with my wallet in the future and simply never give them any more business and never recommend them to anyone.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #66
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
No, no, I am definitely not feeling bad for them. They majorly screwed up and I've been a big thorn in their side. I have only posted a small portion of the full story, which would go on for pages if I posted it. I'll save the rest of the details for the online reviews.

I think my current attitude is a result of just being relieved that this is finally (almost) over. I got confirmation that the only remaining items are installing the rear speakers, installing the hood (again) and detailing the car. There is not much else they can screw up at this point. Regardless of who specifically dropped the ball here (and I think some of the fault lies with several people at the shop, not just my advisor), I will mostly just be happy to have my car back and never see them again (after this I am sure the feeling is mutual as I have not been "nice" to them). I will vote with my wallet in the future and simply never give them any more business and never recommend them to anyone.
Glad to hear it's almost over. Post pics when it's all done! Do you mind sharing the YouTube link (if you haven't done it before)?
Appreciate 0