BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 Woes

06-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #1
NapaBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

2024 X7 Woes

After 4 weeks of ownership of a new 2024 X7 40 the right screen was suddenly dead and numerous error messages appeared. The car was drivable but many features disabled and no controls available from the right screen. No climate control, no infotainment, etc.

The car has been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks. They have been "diagnosing" the problem. They got the right screen to reappear but still were getting error messages. They ordered a new "head unit" that had to come from Germany. Then they took another week to install and reprogram it.

The dealer just reported to me that these efforts still did not result in a fully repaired car.

I have 600 miles total on the car and have only been able to drive it a little more than the time already spent in the shop (and counting).

Current status is for the dealer to continue to diagnose the problem. No solution identified. In speaking with the dealer, even though the car has been there for some time, it receives no priority. They quote "have a process" for scheduling repairs. As such my car has to fit into the overall work load. So, for example, it took well over a week for them to allocate a mechanic to install the new head unit and program it, even after receipt of the new unit.

Pretty bad experience for a brand new car. I have had various BMW's over the years without this level of unreliability, frustration and disappointment. We had two Mercedes GLS cars for the six years just prior to this X7 with absolutely no problems.

Is this the inevitable result of getting an early 2024 production car? A car that is essentially untested and thereby leaving it to the customer to provide the beta testbed for BMW?

Although I really liked the car for the short period that I had it and it was working, I am now wondering about my purchase decision. The car is approaching "Lemon Law" territory in this state (CA). I would hope that the dealer can cure this without having to take more aggressive steps.

But, it may be that my confidence in the reliability of this BMW(or perhaps any new BMW) has already been shaken to the point that I cannot trust it going forward. I will have to see how the next week goes and whether the car gets returned in a fixed and stable state.

To be continued.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 05:02 PM   #2
Streetdaddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Bummer
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Sorry to hear of your plight. Have you thought about a BMW-assisted trade or lemon law? I think you have been more than patient.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Sorry to hear that you have to go through this! I wouldn't consider the '24 X7 a "risk" since the current generation started way back in the 2019 model year. Also, the biggest difference b/w the '23 and '24 models is the availability of the optional Highway Assist up to 85 mph and the future upgradability to iDrive8.5.

I opted for the '23 GLS450 to replace my '16 GL450 but the '24 X7 was heavily considered!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
NapaBMW
Registered
Rep

Well, next episode.

Dealer says that the new replacement head unit sent from Germany is also faulty. Another replacement from Germany has been ordered. The dealer indicated that "under the circumstances" they have requested some priority for this.

Estimate for the new unit to arrive is 10-16 days. So, the car, at that point, before installation, programming, and testing the new unit, the car will have been at the dealer for 31-37 days. So, optimistically, if all went well the car might be back to me after 5 weeks since I dropped it off. Remember, I had the car ~4 weeks when it failed.

The dealer has provided a newish X5 45e loaner. Not a bad car but not the X7 that I have (had). Meanwhile I am making payments (lease, thankfully) for an X7, a more expensive vehicle. On the other hand, the mileage that I put on the X5 doesn't count against my lease mileage allotment, I would think.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:07 AM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

That sucks...ask if the dealer can put you into an X7...maybe a lease return or a new one that they want to demo and then sell as a CPO.

As for the repairs, just a waiting game now. Haven't seen this often at least reported here, so hopefully once it's fixed, no more issues. I've owned a 2021 M50i for a year and now my 2023 M60i for around 6 months with no issues.

If you look back on some older posts, consensus around here is the 2023 was the beta test launch. There was some emotional threads going on about that.

Wish you the best and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

wonder if this is my issue - have 10 messages including parking brake, ABS, engine light, all wheel drive and a few others. First received an email alert for brakes and engine light came on but now others are popping up. appointment tomorrow, will see what this is all about.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This has been stated way back before the LCI was even released on this forum. BMW was not back from horrible Covid build and supply issues to ever do any major LCI changes and yet they pushed forward making the perfect storm for cascading reliability issues. Then adding insult to incompetence doesn’t have replacement parts on hand for warranty work leaving their customers in a tough spot. The whole LCI feels like my 7 month nightmare Range Rover experience.

Last edited by MystroX5; 06-18-2023 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

my email alert states that the code is 2400 - general; yellow engine light is still on but not blinking; brake lights and all wheel drive are not longer showing up as notifications and car has not been driven since the initial alert. Going to post what the dealer finds tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #10
77SU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i; 2022 X5 40i

Took delivery of our 2024 X7 40i on 10 June and drove to my daughter's house 90 miles away that afternoon. On returning home, the infotainment screen went black/blank but came back either on its own or after clicking the selector knob. Left on 16 June for a week to WDW and during that time, the screen went out another 3 or 4 times. As typical, no HUD, no infotainment, no drive assist. The driver's display stays illuminated but changes to a default setting.

Another abnormality was when the car locked with my key fob inside. Luckily, my wife still had hers outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #11
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SU View Post
Another abnormality was when the car locked with my key fob inside. Luckily, my wife still had hers outside the car.
Apparently this is quite common on BMWs as this happens all the time in the X3 forum.

I've never had another car brand do this!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #12
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBMW View Post
The dealer has provided a newish X5 45e loaner. Not a bad car but not the X7 that I have (had). Meanwhile I am making payments (lease, thankfully) for an X7, a more expensive vehicle. On the other hand, the mileage that I put on the X5 doesn't count against my lease mileage allotment, I would think.
Have you contacted BMW corporate? If not please do so and let them know you're making lease payment on a car that you're not able to drive. I had the same situation, and they gave me a satisfying resolution.
      06-28-2023, 07:25 PM   #13
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Then adding insult to incompetence doesn’t have replacement parts on hand for warranty work leaving their customers in a tough spot.
This. I don't understand how they don't have parts in the US for these fixes. It's almost too incompetent to be believed. Screen goes out and you have to leave your car at the dealer for over a month. WTF.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      06-28-2023, 07:37 PM   #14
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This thread is perfect for everyone who wants the "clean look" over physical controls!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #15
NapaBMW
Registered
Rep

Well, I got my car back after 37 days at the dealer, after having driven it initially for only 4 weeks before failure.

According to the paperwork, and contrary to what I was told by service advisor, they replaced the head unit after receiving the unit from Germany (2 plus week wait) only to discover after programming and putting the car back together that the newly supplied unit was incorrect for this vehicle. The wrong one had been supplied and installed! Service advisor had only said the replacement one was also "faulty".

Then another almost 2 week wait from Germany for another unit. Installed, programmed, and checks out (at the moment). So far so good but just got the car today.

A summary of my initial failure and messages:

1. Right screen went blank
2. Driver assistance features offline
3. Message: "Component Protection"
4. HUD tilted and distorted
5. SOS warning light on
6. Communication faults

Replacement of head unit involved removal/reinstall of central console, inside trunk panel (amplifier), back section of headliner, ...

Rather unfortunate that the wrong head unit was ordered which was not discovered until after installation. With parts having to come from Germany this resulted in protracted down time. I did point out that they could get parts from Germany shipped here in 3 days (I do it all the time for my classic car) but the red tape and processing by BMW also probably doesn't speed things.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:34 PM   #16
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I hope this finally solves your problems! Sad commentary on the repair process.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #17
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Seriously! Human error will become so costly that we will have to make way for more AI!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:40 PM   #18
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Seriously! Human error will become so costly that we will have to make way for more AI!
Unseriously, how do we know this wasn't the result of AI
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #19
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Unseriously, how do we know this wasn't the result of AI
AI can’t install head units yet. Humans still responsible for majority of QC.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #20
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
I was driving my 2020 X7 today with 26k miles on it. I picked up my wife from the airport, and on the way back driver's head unit went completely black/dark for about 5 seconds and came back to life with all the warning messages displayed on the screen.
One by one, they all cleared within seconds, and everything went back to normal.
The latest software update, which was done about two months ago differently brought some issues to worry-free vehicle.
This does happen with our smartphones when a new update completely screws up your phone, but at least It doesn't cost you $90k and put your life at risk.
I'll be taking my car for service soon and will have them check on it.
PS: I've noticed the newer X7s have more issues than my 2020 model.
My neighbor has a 6-month-old X7 and he has been to the dealership more than I had in 3 years with my older model. This makes me hesitate to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #21
pgk500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBMW View Post
After 4 weeks of ownership of a new 2024 X7 40 the right screen was suddenly dead and numerous error messages appeared. The car was drivable but many features disabled and no controls available from the right screen. No climate control, no infotainment, etc.

The car has been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks. They have been "diagnosing" the problem. They got the right screen to reappear but still were getting error messages. They ordered a new "head unit" that had to come from Germany. Then they took another week to install and reprogram it.

The dealer just reported to me that these efforts still did not result in a fully repaired car.

I have 600 miles total on the car and have only been able to drive it a little more than the time already spent in the shop (and counting).

Current status is for the dealer to continue to diagnose the problem. No solution identified. In speaking with the dealer, even though the car has been there for some time, it receives no priority. They quote "have a process" for scheduling repairs. As such my car has to fit into the overall work load. So, for example, it took well over a week for them to allocate a mechanic to install the new head unit and program it, even after receipt of the new unit.

Pretty bad experience for a brand new car. I have had various BMW's over the years without this level of unreliability, frustration and disappointment. We had two Mercedes GLS cars for the six years just prior to this X7 with absolutely no problems.

Is this the inevitable result of getting an early 2024 production car? A car that is essentially untested and thereby leaving it to the customer to provide the beta testbed for BMW?

Although I really liked the car for the short period that I had it and it was working, I am now wondering about my purchase decision. The car is approaching "Lemon Law" territory in this state (CA). I would hope that the dealer can cure this without having to take more aggressive steps.

But, it may be that my confidence in the reliability of this BMW(or perhaps any new BMW) has already been shaken to the point that I cannot trust it going forward. I will have to see how the next week goes and whether the car gets returned in a fixed and stable state.

To be continued.
Unfortunately there will be some units that will be lemon or will have issues right of the bat. This is going to be problem for every car not just bmw. If you can get them accepted under lemon law and give u a new one that could
Be a option you can consider!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #22
RazorbackBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Exclamation 2024 X7 Black Screens

Took delivery of my 2024 X7 this past Friday and started out on the interstate for a weekend out of town. Less than 2 hours of owning the vehicle (and under 100 miles on the odometer), heard a click and both screens went black - disconcerting going 75 MPH using the driver's assistance package. Took the first exit and called BMW. Was told not a big deal - just hold in the radio knob for 2 minutes - that didn't work. Was then told to get out of the vehicle and leave it closed for 15 minutes - that didn't work. Was told to wait another 45 minutes outside of vehicle - that didn't work. I was half-way between 2 BMW dealerships. The one in the town I was visiting said they didn't have any openings that day or the next. I ended up driving back to my dealership the next day - had to use the Waze app to see how fast I was driving. The only thing that worked was the radio. The heat was set on low and we couldn't change it so we froze on the way home. On Day 2 of being in service and still no update.
Appreciate 0