F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Alignment Issue
Studio RSR

06-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Any insight, ideas, advice welcome.

So within the past two months I have gotten new wheels (Savini BM11) and Tires (Toyo proxes T1 Sports) on my '14 335i xdrive M Sport. I also have just gone from Dinan springs to Bilstein B14 coilovers. After install I waited a couple days for the springs to settle to get an alignment at my local BMW dealership. After the alignment my car was pulling to the right and to drive straight I was holding the wheel off to the left. I went back and they did an alignment... same thing. They told me that it was my right front tire, so I got that replaced and it did not fix the issue. So I went back a third time and they could not get the car to stay straight. They measure ride height multiple times, and verified that both sides were even and at the same height. After hours of road tests, and the alignment and numbers being well within reasonable standards the car continued to want to pull to the right with the wheel straight.

What they ended up doing was the alignment with the wheel slightly off to the right so at least when my steering wheel was straight, the car goes straight.

They were surprised and clueless as to where to go next, mentioning they never have seen this before. Even though I have aftermarket suspension, toe is toe... and all the alignment numbers look great. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Should be a simple test, throw the old wheels on and see if you can replicate the issue. Then you can attribute it to the suspension or something with a tire/wheel.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:34 AM   #5
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

did the alignment guys corner weight ? if not, it could be a corner weight issue,
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Should be a simple test, throw the old wheels on and see if you can replicate the issue. Then you can attribute it to the suspension or something with a tire/wheel.
I know it's been awhile since I've revisited this... but have been working with BMW to find the issue and it is still a mystery. I have had my wheels swapped out to OEM and car still pulls. Breaks have been checked and the calipers are not seizing... so the breaks are not the issue. The tires are not the issue.

I was having a weird engine noise and turned out my transfer case was going... BMW thought that may have been the cause... it has been replaced and car still pulls to the right (although the noise is gone)

They do not know where to go next... ride height and tow is dialed in and everything looks great. I called Bilstein and they said as long as tow and ride height is okay the coils can not be the cause for the pull. They simply control up and down movement not side to side.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

That's a baffling problem. All the usual suspects have been addressed. Your best bet may be to research/find a highend alignment shop in your area that speicalizes in highend cars or roadcourse race cars since they tend to see all the oddball problems.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
That's a baffling problem. All the usual suspects have been addressed. Your best bet may be to research/find a highend alignment shop in your area that speicalizes in highend cars or roadcourse race cars since they tend to see all the oddball problems.

Keep us posted.
That's what I was thinking. I'm in Massachusetts... next stop will probably be to take it to Turner.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
413Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Update: car is still at BMW. The foreman was doing research as they have never seen anything like this before. Came across some similar stories... car continues to pull right after alignment and checking off the usually suspects on the list. But when the car was put into eco mode... the pulling significantly decreased or went away. Has something to do with the gearing in the steering rack... they ordered a brand new steering rack and will be putting it in tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0