BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum MSRP for new X7? Ride quality vs X5?

08-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

MSRP for new X7? Ride quality vs X5?

Looking to order a new X7 and I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer.

Reading some of the threads, seems like "MSRP" is about the best one can expect on a new ordered X7; is that still the case?

And when we say "MSRP", is that "out the door" or is that MSRP before the dealer garbage fees (destination, dealer handling, nitrogen tires, etc)?

Finally, if everyone is at MSRP, what is the right question to ask to figure out which dealer can get the car faster? "Do you have an active allocation"? Or something else?

We drove the X5 and X7 back to back yesterday. Both in 50M trim, comparably equipped. The X5 was new, the X7 had about 10K miles. We both felt that the X7 was significantly smoother/less choppy than the X5. Is that what others think, is it in my head, is it because the X5 was new and still very tight? Anyone else compare them, new to new and can give an impression?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #2
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
Looking to order a new X7 and I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer.

Reading some of the threads, seems like "MSRP" is about the best one can expect on a new ordered X7; is that still the case?

And when we say "MSRP", is that "out the door" or is that MSRP before the dealer garbage fees (destination, dealer handling, nitrogen tires, etc)?

Finally, if everyone is at MSRP, what is the right question to ask to figure out which dealer can get the car faster? "Do you have an active allocation"? Or something else?

We drove the X5 and X7 back to back yesterday. Both in 50M trim, comparably equipped. The X5 was new, the X7 had about 10K miles. We both felt that the X7 was significantly smoother/less choppy than the X5. Is that what others think, is it in my head, is it because the X5 was new and still very tight? Anyone else compare them, new to new and can give an impression?
X7 has air suspension so the ride would be smoother.

Depends where you live and how many dealers there are in your radius of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
X7 has air suspension so the ride would be smoother.

Depends where you live and how many dealers there are in your radius of comfort.
I live in Spartanburg (seriously). There are about 6 dealers within a 2-3 hour drive from here. I'm not finding any are below MSRP. But it's not really "MSRP", it's MSRP + garbage fees (300 dollars for a nitrogen tire fill?!).

Is "actual MSRP" a reasonable target for the bottom line?

Finally, how can I determine which dealer can get the car faster?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:

MSRP is simple, it's MSRP. Manufactures don't add the "garbage" stuff you speak of. Simply build the car on BMW and you'll see what the MSRP is. Regarding "out the door," yup that can also mean different things to different people. Some actually include their sales tax, registration, etc, in this. I don't because once again, this is different in literally every city in the country. But when people list their "out the door" price from the dealer, it's simple to just state, doesn't include tax or registration. Some dealers can add that to the final price and even include sales tax in financing while in some states, that's illegal to do.

Regarding how fast, well just ask the dealer. They should be able to state their current allocation. You can also check BMW site and see which ones are in production and then contact that dealer to see if it's spoken for. I found one in production that met my requirements so purchased it that way. You can only check like 200 miles from a specific zipcode so I just entered every large city within 10 hrs from me and searched that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Simply build the car on BMW and you'll see what the MSRP is.
Yeah, and this is the crux of the question. Let's say the MSRP, as listed after building the car on BMW is 100K. That number is directly transferred to the deal sheet, but them 300 added for nitrogen tire fill, 500 for fabric protection, etc, etc. So the vehicle is being sold at MSRP, but I'm actually paying 103K with all the dealer junk. Taxes/tags on top of that 103K number.

My question, when people say they are "buying at MSRP", are they paying 103K or are they paying 100K?

"Regarding how fast, well just ask the dealer. They should be able to state their current allocation. "

So "what's your allocation" is the right question? When I ask the dealers "when can you get one" the answer is "could be a few weeks, could be a few months". That answer has been pretty universal, but I feel it's because I'm asking the wrong question.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

You should just do Performance center delivery. that way you can ship literally any dealership in the country and pick up in Spartanburg. Save yourself the drive.

If you need a guy for MSRP. Send me a direct message.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
john_wick
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G07

Quote:
I live in Spartanburg (seriously). There are about 6 dealers within a 2-3 hour drive from here. I'm not finding any are below MSRP. But it's not really "MSRP", it's MSRP + garbage fees (300 dollars for a nitrogen tire fill?!).

I live in your area and just got a 22 before the LCI switch over. All the dealers around here have dealer addons but I picked the one that seemed the friendliest. I paid MSRP plus some "paint protection" BS I think it was around $500. Shortly after I put a deposit down on one inventory started bulking back up and some dealers (up north) were sellng less than MSRP. Ultimately I was happy because I got all the options I ordered but felt like customer service was lacking throughout the whole process. Good luck. And if you are looking for a 23 you will be paying MSRP, I havent' seen any discounts on the refresh.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Yeah, and this is the crux of the question. Let's say the MSRP, as listed after building the car on BMW is 100K. That number is directly transferred to the deal sheet, but them 300 added for nitrogen tire fill, 500 for fabric protection, etc, etc. So the vehicle is being sold at MSRP, but I'm actually paying 103K with all the dealer junk. Taxes/tags on top of that 103K number.

My question, when people say they are "buying at MSRP", are they paying 103K or are they paying 100K?

"Regarding how fast, well just ask the dealer. They should be able to state their current allocation. "

So "what's your allocation" is the right question? When I ask the dealers "when can you get one" the answer is "could be a few weeks, could be a few months". That answer has been pretty universal, but I feel it's because I'm asking the wrong question.
MSRP is what is shown when you build the car on the website. They add the destination fee in, and that should be it. Out the door should include any taxes and registration fees. But anything else is negotiable. The dealer is just selling you added protection packages and other "garbage". You don't have to buy that stuff. Especially when ordering a new vehicle. As for allocation, dealers get allocated a certain number of vehicles per month to build and sell. The larger volume dealers get more vehicle allocations. You can just ask, if I were to order today, when would I get it. Then go to another dealer and ask the same question, until you find one that can get you into the September build cycle. If it's important to get the vehicle asap.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
In regards to who can get the car to you fastest - allocations (should) be pretty easy to come by for the X7, so just ask the dealer if they can get you an allocation right away - you should get a production number as soon as they enter your build into the order bank. Generally speaking, no production # = no allocation. I've had a dealer in the past play this game with me where they took my order but wouldn't issue me a production #, saying "oh it'll come soon", I ended up pulling my deposit with that dealer and going to another dealer who got me the production # immediately.

As for the ride quality difference - that depends on the options selected on the X5 you drove. I'm in a relatively unique position where when I ordered my X5 back in 2019, they offered a LOT more options for it than they do now, and one of those options included air suspension as a standalone. So for me, the difference in ride quality between the X5 and the X7 isn't significant. The X7 still wins slightly because of its longer wheelbase which adds to the smoothness, but overall it's very similar. In your case, I'm certain the X5 didn't have air suspension (which is a standard feature on the X7), so that most likely contributed to the X7 feeling significantly smoother.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

If you are open to out of state dealers, talk to passport BMW in Maryland. They are giving $2 to 2.8k below MSRP and no none sense additions.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #11
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You need to ask- do you have a modifiable allocation and what is the production week.

That will give you a clear picture to estimate when to expect the X7.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
If you are open to out of state dealers, talk to passport BMW in Maryland. They are giving $2 to 2.8k below MSRP and no none sense additions.
I'm absolutely open to out of state, the closest dealer to me, literally, is the BMW facility where I could do a PCD (about 5 miles away!). So if they are willing to order and do a PDI, that would be more convenient for me than actually going to Greenville to the dealer for pick up.

Do you have a contact there you'd recommend or just give them a ring?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #13
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
I'm absolutely open to out of state, the closest dealer to me, literally, is the BMW facility where I could do a PCD (about 5 miles away!). So if they are willing to order and do a PDI, that would be more convenient for me than actually going to Greenville to the dealer for pick up.

I sent you a PM with contact information. I communicated over email.They should be able to do PDI.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #14
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
I sent you a PM with contact information. I communicated over email.They should be able to do PDI.
Got it, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #15
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:

Once again, MSRP is MSRP. It should match exactly what is on the BMW build site. If a dealer adds on their own crap, then that's not MSRP, that is added crap. So if someone on states they bought one at MSRP for $103K with no other detail, then I would expect that to match exactly that build on BMW.

It's up to you to negotiate the dealer add ons. I paid 0 for dealer add ons and countless other people on here have done the same. However some dealers will charge and not negotiate. They know in today's market, they can tack it on and people will pay. So it's up to you to find the right dealer for you and not accept those add ons if you don't want them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #16
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Quote:

Passport is amazing. They will do PDI, I did it last September.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #17
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Passport is amazing. They will do PDI, I did it last September.
Thanks guys, got a note out to them, hoping they have allocation and a reasonable price, that would make my life much easier.

I wish BMW would just let me click "order now" on their website. Am I the only one??
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #18
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, got a note out to them, hoping they have allocation and a reasonable price, that would make my life much easier.

I wish BMW would just let me click "order now" on their website. Am I the only one??
I know they have M60 allocations right now. They won't mess with you, let me know if so, I've bought a lot of vehicles through them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #19
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
I know they have M60 allocations right now. They won't mess with you, let me know if so, I've bought a lot of vehicles through them.
Thank you again Blake, really appreciate it! Given my location, I'd really like to establish a relationship with a "good" dealer. Like you, I've been through plenty of cars; can do delivery in Spartanburg conveniently, and really just need a dealer who's honest, easy to deal with and provides a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #20
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you again Blake, really appreciate it! Given my location, I'd really like to establish a relationship with a "good" dealer. Like you, I've been through plenty of cars; can do delivery in Spartanburg conveniently, and really just need a dealer who's honest, easy to deal with and provides a reasonable price.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but it is actually the opposite. Your location lets you shop the entire country.

Use a west coast dealer to lock programs for 90 days.
Use a dealer where they have a capped doc fee like California.

I have read good things about Passport so I do believe it will work out for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I appreciate the enthusiasm but it is actually the opposite. Your location lets you shop the entire country.
Yeah, that's what I was trying (poorly) to convey. Any dealer, anywhere, makes it a heck of a lot easier to play one vs the other. But, positive note, it could also be a long term relationship for the dealer with an absolute minimum of hassle. I'm never going to have meltdown in your service department, never going to bother you for a test drive, never going to complain about the lack of coffee in the waiting area.
Appreciate 1
arciga181728.50
      08-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #22
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was trying (poorly) to convey. Any dealer, anywhere, makes it a heck of a lot easier to play one vs the other. But, positive note, it could also be a long term relationship for the dealer with an absolute minimum of hassle. I'm never going to have meltdown in your service department, never going to bother you for a test drive, never going to complain about the lack of coffee in the waiting area.
I don't cross shop them, just email my SA and done. They are a high volume dealer, I've referred a lot of friends to them. I'm the same way, I'm not nickel and diming them, I just want a fair deal at whatever the market is offering at that moment.

The others in the DMV area at least, highly variable with most of them being non-communicative or shady, that typically extends up to the GM level so even a good salesman won't help.
Appreciate 0