E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > COBB Tune vs BMW PPK

04-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

COBB Tune vs BMW PPK

Hey all,

So I have been waiting to get a new intercooler in before I sprung for a pro-tune. In the mean time I have been running the COBB Stage 1 Sport map. I have been noticing some hesitation at constant throttle around 2-3k rpm. I decided to remove the map and go back to my BMW PPK and I was amazed and how much better it was.

More evidence of how bad the OTS maps from COBB are. I am looking forward to getting my FMIC installed so I can start the e-tune process.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
fsugatorbait
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
I've got the same hesitation with a protune. I'll be changing plugs this weekend in hopes of eliminating it as mine are original with 42k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsugatorbait View Post
I've got the same hesitation with a protune. I'll be changing plugs this weekend in hopes of eliminating it as mine are original with 42k miles.
Interesting. My PPK feels fine with no hesitation. My plugs were just changed at ~45k and i am at ~51k now so they should be in good shape. Hopefully my coils are not crapping out. We will find out when I start doing my e-tune I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Interesting. My PPK feels fine with no hesitation. My plugs were just changed at ~45k and i am at ~51k now so they should be in good shape. Hopefully my coils are not crapping out. We will find out when I start doing my e-tune I guess.
Why wait? Go with a PTF remote tune now and they will retune it for free after you get the FMIC. Stock engine w/ PTF tune was way better than PPK or Cobb stage 1 Sport map IME.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Why wait? Go with a PTF remote tune now and they will retune it for free after you get the FMIC. Stock engine w/ PTF tune was way better than PPK or Cobb stage 1 Sport map IME.
The intercooler arrives today and will be installed tomorrow. I am already struggling with finding a "closed" road to do the pulls so I want to limit the number of passes I do. I don't like red and blue lights behind me (and the associated cost).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The intercooler arrives today and will be installed tomorrow. I am already struggling with finding a "closed" road to do the pulls so I want to limit the number of passes I do. I don't like red and blue lights behind me (and the associated cost).
Yes, that is the only hard part about the PTF tune - finding a place to do the logging. It goes pretty fast though, you can get 3 or 4 logs in under 5 minutes once you find a suitable location. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
Look for a flat, extended highway entry point. The 3rd gear run only needs about a 1/4 mile
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
fsugatorbait
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCubana View Post
Look for a flat, extended highway entry point. The 3rd gear run only needs about a 1/4 mile
Exactly what I did. I did mine getting on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
fsugatorbait
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
I cleaned my air filter and MAF and the hesitation at constant throttle is all but gone. My filter was pretty dirty and I'm sure the MAF was as well. It's worth a shot - you should give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Goto Pro tuning Freaks. I'm working with them now and I can tell you this:

1) I was surprised how fast a received my first map. Ordered the e-tune on PTF website on Wednesday. Did my 3rd gear datalogs Thursday morning. By Thursday afternoon Dzenno had me the first map.

2) as an e90 member you get 50 USD off the price

3) After I received the first version map from PTF, I realized that this pro tune thing is what Cobb AP was made for. I doubt if their intention was ever for a customer to run their OTS Maps forever. I think Cobb provided those OTS maps to be used while their customers were obtaining FBO and raising funds for a Protune. The only way to go is pro tune with Cobb.

4) The first thing I noticed about the first Map I received from PTF is the throttle closures were gone for 3rd gear which was the datalog I provided . On the OTS map the TPS % was all over the map now it is 100% open on WOT.

5) I'll be able to tell you more after the process is over and I receive my final tune map from PTF, but so far it is the best $200 I've spent.

6) I waited until FBO to contact PTF, if I had to do it over I would have contacted them immediately after getting the Cobb AP before full bolt on as they make mods for free as long as it is not a different fuel. So it doesn't make sense to wait until FBO like I did.

7) Remember the PPK is going to be good for what it is. It is a tune that is conservative enough to not void your warranty and cost BMW repair costs. The Pro tune on the Cobb will take advantage of down pipes / a better FMIC and charge pipe. All items those item the engineers at BMW who wrote the PPK had to work without. They had to consider the plastic charge pipe / intercooler parts and cats.

Yes, I'm still learning and am like a newbie to this, but to me the Cobb stage one maps were better than their stage 2 maps. The stage 2 are just not smooth enough. It appears that too many variables have changed from stock to have one OTS that meets all the different variables and mods avaialble. What brand intake, what FMIC, what size, exhaust changes, muffler or no muffler, down pipe, etc.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #11
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

I feel lucky, I am running the Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive and I love it.
Seems smooth and the power is just awesome.

I'll be honest though, this is what I was going for. I have no intention of DPs and probably won't do an intercooler since I don't plan to track or race. I just want a good bit of power on demand when pulling away from a light or cruising around on highways.
I needed more power than stock, but did not need enough to compromise the reliability of the engine.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the mods I have chosen and at this time I don't seem myself diving into much more in the near term.

The pro-tune sounds fantastic, but everything seems to be running quite well and I don't see the point? It does seem to be a killer deal for what it is, and I respect the fact that when in Stage 2 FBO land the variables are too great to fit all setups into one basket (tune).

In my case with just the PE for sound, CP for durability and extra boost, Alpina TCU flash for the crisp engaging drive, and the Cobb OTS Stage 1 aggressive it all seems to come together nicely without having to pull 3rd gear runs for fine tuning which is one of the things I did not like about Map 5 JB4. I really did not want to risk a ticket just to dial in my ride.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0